carat
color
clarity

K color round brilliant??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333858383|3166017 said:
dreamer_dachsie said:
Christina what is your budget of cash you are paying in addition to the trade? Are you ok with ebay? Because girl, I can help you find a stone on ebay for waaaaay less than $6k in an old cut, over 1.5ct if you want.

If you are worried about color then don't go there. I have done it. It will not make you happy. In my opinion with color, go LOOOOOOOOW or stay in the near colorless range. Like, look in the M-P range if you want tint. I liked the M color AVC more than the K color RB.
I agree with the eBay/ps preloaded forum. For 7,000 you could def find a stone in the 7mm range and keep your asscher. Or sell the asscher and with that sale plus the 7,000 you were going to put out you could get something killer.

Absolutely agree with this. 100%. Sweetie we can find you whatever you want. Can you find any of us on FB? A lot of PSers on FB use their screen names or put pricescope in their nickname. If you can find one of them, you can ask them if they can put you in touch with others of us, including me. I'd be happy to help you off the boards and I can put you in touch with... well, most of the PSers on RT one way or another. Or you can go through DB. I still have my sapphire listed for sale.

AllieLuv83

Brilliant_Rock
You know my RB is an L with a strong blue fluorescence, and I really love it. It does look warm in some lights but not yellow.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling said:
dreamer_dachsie said:
Christina what is your budget of cash you are paying in addition to the trade? Are you ok with ebay? Because girl, I can help you find a stone on ebay for waaaaay less than $6k in an old cut, over 1.5ct if you want.

If you are worried about color then don't go there. I have done it. It will not make you happy. In my opinion with color, go LOOOOOOOOW or stay in the near colorless range. Like, look in the M-P range if you want tint. I liked the M color AVC more than the K color RB.
I agree with the eBay/ps preloaded forum. For 7,000 you could def find a stone in the 7mm range and keep your asscher. Or sell the asscher and with that sale plus the 7,000 you were going to put out you could get something killer.
sorry I misunderstood/ im now assuming its 7,000 with the trade in of the asscher....

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Allie I thought of you when I was looking at K's. I remember your thread and how you were looking for a large stone on a budget too. I previously thought about calling IDJ to see what they could come up with, because I really wanted to be able to keep my asscher and have a 7mm, but like I said if I pull the trigger now, something has to give and it will have to be my asscher. :(( Do you still love your diamond? What did you think of the color when you first saw it? Has your opinion of the color changed now that you've had the stone for a few months? I can't remember what color your previous diamond was, but how do you think the two compare?

dreamer We, well...I was hoping to only have to toss another 4k in with the trade, which is a itsy bitsy budget for 7mm stone as you know, so it has significantly lowered my number of options. I have found a J SI2 that scores .8 on the HCA but it looks like it has a feather on the girdle which makes me nervous, so I would have to ask about that, the rest of the inclusions are twining wisps and they look like they will be eye clean. I haven't asked for an IS yet because I don't want to burn up my limit of images before I really know what I"m doing. I requested one a few months back when I thought that I was going into a 1.75.

I got to say though, I love the idea of getting into a 1.5 or better old cut for under 6k! :naughty: How often do you come across them? I'm always so impressed with your ebay skills! I've looked for hours but I never really seem to find much other than vendors stones and they seem way over priced compared to jbEG and OWD. And I don't know enough about them to ask the important question or to get much information from the photos...many that are horrible anyway.

Oh, I did find a EI1, which I thought I would never consider, but the inclusions are clouds and a cavity under the table it's white and it actually looks much cleaner than many SI2 I've looked at. I keep looking at it wondering if I may have actually found an eye clean I1. I'd post the image if I wasn't afraid of it getting snatched up as soon as it got your approval. :nono: It's on my list to possibly have evaluated.

Amy I have that stone on my list too! :)) but I have it listed for $6270 with the discount. I was worried about the inclusion under the table, do you think it's possible that it would be eye clean from a 6-8inch distance?

gypsy They do have a great return policy, but unfortunately I'll have to fork over all the cash for the stone if I don't want to lose my asscher in the process because if I use my trade they put my stone into their inventory immediately instead of waiting until the end of the inspection period. :roll: I could do it, but it tightens up the household budget while I'm viewing the stone and then waiting for the refund if I chose not to keep it. I think that right now I'm leaning toward going with an eye clean J or taking up dreamers offer and asking her to find me a killer old cut on ebay. :love: That was the original plan anyway, I will have to wait to put the stone in a gorgeous single stone setting, but I think I would be very happy with an old cut in a solitaire setting in the meantime. :love:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm so if you were to keep your asscher you would be looking for a7mm round stone for about 3,500???

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333890791|3166103 said:
Hmmm so if you were to keep your asscher you would be looking for a7mm round stone for about 3,500???

That is too tight. The other option is to sell your asscher privately and use the money. I think you can find a 7mm stone for about $5k if you are patient and don't mind risk. If you are neither then the trade in is best.

James Allen can perhaps source you an old cut?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333888818|3166095 said:
Amys Bling said:
dreamer_dachsie said:

sorry I misunderstood/ im now assuming its 7,000 with the trade in of the asscher....

no you were right Amy, I really only want to put another 4k with trade in. I was just thinking that if waited, I could take advantage of dreamers offer, and then keep my asscher as well.

And nope, if I kept my asscher I would wait until fall and look for something in the 6-7k range in an old cut and wait to set it into something amazing. :)) I suffer from instant gratification syndrome and want something now now now. :lol: It does make sense to wait until I can get into my dream ring though.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1333891407|3166110 said:

That is too tight. The other option is to sell your asscher privately and use the money. I think you can find a 7mm stone for about $5k if you are patient and don't mind risk. If you are neither then the trade in is best.

I think there was a misunderstanding, I'm not trying to find a stone for $3500. I'd like to find one between $6500-$7000 on James Allen so that I can use the trade up. $3300 will be from my trade, the balance will be cash.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1333865618|3166055 said:
dreamer_dachsie said:

Absolutely agree with this. 100%. Sweetie we can find you whatever you want. Can you find any of us on FB? A lot of PSers on FB use their screen names or put pricescope in their nickname. If you can find one of them, you can ask them if they can put you in touch with others of us, including me. I'd be happy to help you off the boards and I can put you in touch with... well, most of the PSers on RT one way or another. Or you can go through DB. I still have my sapphire listed for sale.

Gypsy, can you please provide information as to what "RT" and "DB" are? Thanks =)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1333865618|3166055 said:
dreamer_dachsie said:

Gypsy I somehow missed this post, that so very nice of you, thank you! I think that I will do that. :)) I actually wondered how you all got in touch with each other, I see if mentioned all over the boards and on pre loved forum. I would certainly feel better knowing that I had a stone with your stamp of approval. :D

kathley DB is diamond bistro and RT is rocky talky. :))

Oh and I just reread the previous post and see why there is so much confusion about the budget so I'll try to clarify..

I plan to spend $3500-$4000 of my own cash to upgrade to a $6500-$7000 stone. JA will give me $3300 for my asscher to put toward the purchase of the new stone. However, if I were to decide to wait until fall and find an OEC then I would be able to swing $6000 or so out of pocket and keep my asscher.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
PLEASE WAIT! Christina you really do love your asscher - and its one of the more stunning ones on PS- I'd hate to see you let it go :(sad ;( :blackeye:

I'm with ya on the instant gratification concept - when I want something, I want it YESTERDAY and perfect, thank you very much... :bigsmile: . I think by hanging in there a few month (5 months isn't too terrible...) then being able to have BOTH - that's where my head would be at. That would be best of both worlds! Asscher plus either a honking RB or a gorgeous OEC. And you have the masters of diamond searchers on board with you! Gypsy & Dreamer will get you just what you want :appl: You can spend the waiting time looking, fantasizing, planning, researching - but end up with both! WOO HOO!!!

Whatever you decide, best of luck finding the right stone for you :appl:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Enerchi said:
PLEASE WAIT! Christina you really do love your asscher - and its one of the more stunning ones on PS- I'd hate to see you let it go :(sad ;( :blackeye:

I'm with ya on the instant gratification concept - when I want something, I want it YESTERDAY and perfect, thank you very much... :bigsmile: . I think by hanging in there a few month (5 months isn't too terrible...) then being able to have BOTH - that's where my head would be at. That would be best of both worlds! Asscher plus either a honking RB or a gorgeous OEC. And you have the masters of diamond searchers on board with you! Gypsy & Dreamer will get you just what you want :appl: You can spend the waiting time looking, fantasizing, planning, researching - but end up with both! WOO HOO!!!

Whatever you decide, best of luck finding the right stone for you :appl:

Totally agree. I would wait the 5 months and have my cake and eat it too!, I'd find a killer 7mm OEC stone off eBay or DB with the help of the masters and keep the asscher :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless your are not a two ring kind of gal....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333896642|3166145 said:
Unless your are not a two ring kind of gal....

True.... Maybe she's a TWELVE or more kinda gal! I could be... tee hee!!! ;)) ;)) ;)) All those lovelies out there in the world, are meant to be bought and worn (oooh, there goes that enabling side of me again... :lol: )

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Oh well, I'm definitely a twelve ring kinda girl! One for each finger and a couple toes rings too! :naughty: Actually if I keep the it will be my third, I have a marquis with sapphire sides that I wear as a RHR now but believe me, I have no trouble switching them up! BTW Enerchi you made my day with your compliment about my stone. Thanks so much! :)) It means a lot coming from you you.

Ok so here is a thought that I had a few months ago and nixed the idea, but now I'm sorta thinking that it could be just what I need to tie me over until fall. Do you think that it would be a simple remake to add side traps to my asscher? I'm thinking that they could probably just remove a couple of the melee and change the head and viola It would give me the extra finger coverage that I'm craving and probably be reasonable price wise....

Heres a pic of my current setting, except I changed the shank to a 2.1mm with .02 melee, this one in the pic is 1.5mm with 1 pointers.

EDIT: oops this wasn't the pic that I wanted to post, I don't like how you can't see the faceting in this pic, but it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking and if it's even possible.

my rock 120.JPG

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now you're thinking outside the box!!! Yeah - I'm liking that concept but... does it take away from your pot of funds for the upgrade stone? (Errr... I meant the NEXT EXTRA diamond?? ;)) ;)) ;)) )

If that could be done under $1000, would that satisfy your instant craving and still allow another ring later on? It would make me satisfied :love: - and that's exactly what I did when I remade my (second!) ering to a 3 stone this past fall. I'm good now (well, lets not be too hasty here, I'm never going to be DONE with diamonds!!) and it also allowed me to add a new anniversary band to go with it, because, as we know, there was hardly enough bling factor in the remake :rolleyes: I love that IDJ band and it didn't break the bank.

Maybe doing this step will allow you keep your asscher with an amazing new setting and, if it takes 6 or 7 months instead of 5 (or whatever it would have been initially), you get another ring - the dream stone you are searching for! If you could swing that and DH is on board and no pain to the household budget --- I'd be all over that plan in a heartbeat! ;)) :bigsmile: :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina, just look at what you posted on the asscher thread for raquel - you love this stone! you love asschers ---- keep it! You'd miss it too much, IMO. Just throwing that out there for what it's worth - I want you to be happy :halo:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm I would definitely add side traps and then keep saving even if it look til a year from. Ow so that I could have two stellar rings :)

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
your so funny Enerchi! See, this will just go to show you how indecisive I can be, but there was a reason that I nixed the three stone idea before, I just can't get myself to be 100% into it. Hubby thinks that it would be a great idea to keep the ascher ( I think he has grown quite fond of it, but wishes we could put the stone on steroids and make it bigger). I'd like to keep it too, so I guess I'm going to have to put on my big girl pants and wait until fall. This is sort of like being 8 and waiting for Christmas! My heart is telling me that I really want one large stone, and because I really do love my current ring, I don't think I should mess with it. I'm just going to have to find something else to obsess over in the meantime. :bigsmile: I think that I'm going to be happy that I decided to ask for opinions and didn't jump on the K wagon. It sounds like it's perfect for some people and I thought that maybe it would be for me too, but I think I'll be much happier with an I or J so I'm glad I decided to get opinions.

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me opinions and advice, I truly appreciate it!!! :halo:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333925424|3166356 said:
Hmm I would definitely add side traps and then keep saving even if it look til a year from. Ow so that I could have two stellar rings :)

Part of me thinks that it would be a fantastic idea, and then the rest of me is telling me not to mess with it. Maybe I'll do something with it once I get my 7mm....like maybe do a three stone with CS? I dunno :wink2: I guess I'm just not ready to commit to anything other than the larger stone right now. *huge dramatic sigh*

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1333892213|3166118 said:
Dreamer_D|1333891407|3166110 said:

I think there was a misunderstanding, I'm not trying to find a stone for $3500. I'd like to find one between $6500-$7000 on James Allen so that I can use the trade up. $3300 will be from my trade, the balance will be cash.

No I understood. I was suggesting you keep your asscher and use the cash to buy another stone rather than trade up and have all the funds tied up again.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
dreamer Thats how I'm leaning right now. I would really really love to have an old cut around 1.5, but I didn't think that it would be possible anymore until you posted that you thought that I could find one for around 6k, which is doable, but will probably have to wait until fall. But, hey whats a dream ring if I don't spend some time dreaming about it right?! :bigsmile: Do you come across them fairly often DD? I understand that I'll probably spend some time returning a few stones and I would be ok with that. Do you think that a 6k budget is reasonable?

jrich

Shiny_Rock
I have a K RB and I love it. It hasnt been given to me yet but i have spent some time seeing in different lights, and it does not look yellow at all! The color is so pretty. And I know no one in real life besides PS experts would ever look twice to wonder if it were a lower color. I love it, especially in the sun faces up white as can be. But, everyone is different. I also love that I was able to get close to a 1.5 Gia ex cut for just under 6K! You can see my thread on SMTB- Jessica's new vatche. As long as you don't expect it to be icy white, and you get a great cut stone, I can't imagine you wouldn't love it.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1333928302|3166381 said:
dreamer Thats how I'm leaning right now. I would really really love to have an old cut around 1.5, but I didn't think that it would be possible anymore until you posted that you thought that I could find one for around 6k, which is doable, but will probably have to wait until fall. But, hey whats a dream ring if I don't spend some time dreaming about it right?! :bigsmile: Do you come across them fairly often DD? I understand that I'll probably spend some time returning a few stones and I would be ok with that. Do you think that a 6k budget is reasonable?

Christina,

I remember the first time I saw a GIA K 2c princess cut diamond in the jewelry store....I was so surprised at how beautiful the warm colored stone was. I loved it but it was over my budget. It is hard to put into words how that warmth affects the beauty of the stone.

Here is an amazingly cut brilliant cushion that faces up like a 2c. It is a k IF...and is just lovely. Being a more old type cut it might be what you are looking for as your dream stone. 1.66c but a little out of budget. But I simply love this cushion. K's IMO do not look "yellow". I think they look dreamy, but you do have to see them in person. You could start calling jewelry stores to see if they have some GIA/AGS K's in stock and then go and look. Too bad this cushion is an IF or it would be cheaper.

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/K-IF-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1471593.asp

Good luck with your search.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Thank you ladies. I read a really great old thread that I think OldMiner did back in 2006 and it talked about diamond tone but also about it's hue. It's something that I hadn't really considered, and I wonder if it's part of the reason that people have such varying opinions of Ks. For instance if the stone had a brown hue or a grey hue then it would look whiter then if it had a cape or yellow hue. All the more reason that I would have to this this particular stone in person. After reading the article, I've decided to consider Ks again but like many others have mentioned I'll be taking a look at them before I give up my asscher for one.

A couple other things that I didn't know about color grading that I thought were interesting, and I'll try to post the thread for anyone who wants to read it..

1. stones over 1.5 are not graded upside though the side, but because larger stones tend to look darker they grade it as if a tiny piece of the diamond had been chipped off and then the color is evaluated from this tiny piece of the stone. (or at least this is how I understood it, if I'm wrong, please clarify)

2. That when a stone is in between grades and the stone has strong or very strong flouroscence, the lab will often evaluate the stone from the face up position to determine which color grade it should fall into. For instance a high I with strong blue will be given a G. I thought this was interesting because so many times on Pricescope its suggested that we find stones with strong blue because it will make the stone appear whiter to the naked eye, however, now I'm assuming that at least some of the time, the lab has already taken this into account and graded the stone as the consumer will see it in it's face up position, Again, if I've interpreted the information incorrectly, I hope someone will correct me. Heres the link to the thread, it's super interesting.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-most-color-grading-the-grading-of-tone.43135/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-most-color-grading-the-grading-of-tone.43135/[/URL]

Also, I've come to the conclusion that it would be much easier to purchase lower color stones online (and perhaps even in person) if the lab gave these stones not only a color grade but a hue as well.....brown, grey, yellow.

Ashley-Sarah

Rough_Rock
Hi Christina, A few months ago members of PS reccommended a diamond that was a K, it was from James Allen 1447413. It was 1.25 RB. After several weeks of the diamond coming and going out of their inventory I decided I had to see it. I purchased it and I thought it was very warm. It was eye clean and sparkly but very very tinted. I was kind of relieved because I really wanted a 1.5 and definately in the colorless range. Have fun diamond shopping

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Just got a chance to read through your post Christina and wanted to chime in. Though I don't own a K, I did have one in to look at when we were choosing a stone for my ring and didn't like the color on it (though it had a really super cut!), it was always like looking through a haze of color to see the patterning in the facets, which I didn't like. I think you'd definitely have to get one in to decide for yourself.

If I were in your situation, I'd find a way to keep your asscher; it's so pretty! A few months is not a terribly long time and I bet Dreamer could help you with the old cuts if you went that direction.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for chiming in Bastetcat and Ashley-Sarah! :))

It's becoming super apparent that I'm going to have to take a look at one of these for myself. Seems people love them or hate them, and I'm beginning to wonder if part of that is because of the different hues that each diamond can have. Perhaps some people that are loving their K's and feel that they are white, actually have a grey hued K? And others that feel that all they seem is warmth have a yellowed hue K? And how much does the size of the stone play?

I haven't heard a lot of talk of people comparing their I's to J's, or H's to I's. My initial thought was, how different can a K be from a J? But it seems that the color of a K affects the overall look of the stone much more than say a J? I'm also wondering if the slide is larger going from a J to K, than it is for the colorless and near colorless stones, because I personally just can't see a huge difference between an H and an I, or it certainly wasn't discernible enough to have been obvious or worth the price to upgrade one color. :wink2: Lot's to consider!

Ashley Sarah did you end up getting your 1.5?

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You might look at some of these J's and K's on USA certed, these all have med-strong blue fl. How about that 1.59 K SI1?
Love this post on the 5c J cushion Leon Mege in a halo. looks very white to me. Note how she can tell only a little diff. in her E and this J. hmmm! I saw a J with flor. on JA too. Maybe JA would bring in a couple of these from Polygon for you that are listed on usacerted.
I know you have seen these posts, but these are really beautiful but they are antique cuts.
J 5c
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/leon-mege-antique-cushion.140739/[/URL]

K/L OEC (EGL)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-another-oec.172744/page-2']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-another-oec.172744/page-2[/URL]

I'm with you, can there be THAT much diff. from a J to a K? If you want BIG on a budget that 1.59 with blue fl. sure would be tempting. That article you posted on color and tone was great...thanks!

SD-2189 Round 1.31 J SI1 Excellent GIA 6,164.99
2S3345A Round 1.26 J VS2 Excellent GIA 6,513.13
598-167 Round 1.34 K VS2 Excellent GIA 6,655.11
12400214-095 Round 1.22 J VS2 Excellent GIA 6,750.87
R1.2V92033 Round 1.21 J SI1 Excellent GIA 6,860.70
539-339 Round 1.20 J VS1 Excellent GIA 6,879.60
1600969 Round 1.27 J VS2 Excellent GIA 6,903.53
LER-47640 Round 1.21 J VS1 Excellent GIA 7,019.51
1603441 Round 1.26 K VVS1 Excellent GIA 7,051.59
30064 Round 1.59 K SI1 Excellent GIA 7,359.16

Good luck!

Ashley-Sarah

Rough_Rock
Hi Christina, I have not purchased a 1.5. I have to increase my budget to get in the near near colorless range. So it seems I will have to wait til the fall. Hopefully prices won't increase.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results