shape
carat
color
clarity

K color round brilliant??

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Ok, so I've spent most of the day going through threads and looking at pics and reactions to K colored RB's. Obviously, I'm finding it super difficult to see much if any color difference between a K and even F from the photos and video. And unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a BM that has a well cut K for me to look at. I've looked at EGL HI's but they weren't well cut and one of them at a huge black inclusion, so I had a hard time getting past that and looking only at the body color.

I prefer near colorless stones to the icy white colorless ones and I don't think that I am particularly color sensitive. I have an I asscher now and I never see anything but white from face up, although I can see a very very slight tint when I view it through the pavillion, nothing that has every made me think 'eww yellow!', but just a really very slight tint. When I was shopping for the asscher I was warned that this particular cut would show color much more than a MRB would and it was suggested that I stay H or better, so I was nervous when I got the I, but have had absolutely not regrets with my decision.

So, as some of you know I am planning an upgrade, well things have changed just a bit and I've decided to go in a different direction. Initially, I had planned to upgrade to a 1.5-1.75. DH and I made a decision and paid off our cars and a few other small credit cards with the money that we were going to use for the upgrade to start building our 12yo college fund. However, I've never been completely satisfied with the finger coverage of my 1ct asscher 5.76x5.56, so I'm thinking of going into a 7mm MRB. I've found one that I really like, it's a 1.3 VS2 K GIA ex ex ex and score .9 on the HCA. Everything seems wonderful, the stone qualifies for my upgrade policy, it's available, they can change the head of my existing setting for a nominal fee, BUT I'm worried about the K, and since I'm using the upgrade, my current stone will be placed immediately into their inventory, so if I decide I don't like the stone, I can't get the original back....

so I know many of you have K's now or have in the past and love(d) them. can you tell me what you see when you look them? Is it just a soft creamy color or do you see yellow? Does it face up white with only noticeable color from the side? will an ideal cut make the stone appear whiter? Is there a huge difference between a J and K or is it similar to going from a H to an I? I'd love to hear what make you love or hate a K color stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would an opinion on a J be ok?

My studs are (rb) J's and I have an old diamond that is an (rb) F. Between the two - on white paper, under my 10x loupe, bright halogen lighting in my kitchen - other than the flashes of scintillation, I can not detect a great difference between the 2. Yes, the J is a TAD creamier - not 'creme/vanilla/milk' but just a warmth that is not at all yellow based (so totally not making sense as I type that out!!!)

Had DH and DD look as well - all 3 of us are not seeing a huge difference at all between them. I guess we are all not colour sensitive here!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm tough call. It's so hard To tell from pictures and video.. How much will you miss your current stone? I might go for it and if it doesn't work out return the K and keep looking... You might be without a stone for a while if the K doesn't work out though...

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina, I've owned three Ks so far, and still have two of them. They've been a 0.53, 1.16, and 1.5, all graded by AGS. I still own the first and the last ones. I've found that I'm not particularly color-sensitive, in that I probably can't tell the difference between a J and K (though I have never seen them side-by-side), and when I can tell the difference (like between an H and a K), I don't mind the tint. When I look at them face-up, they appear totally white to me. From the side, I can see a slight tint, but I never think that it looks yellow. The tint is very slight. I'd describe it as more of a cream color, and even then it's a very *light* cream color. It also depends a lot on the environment. With indoor incandescent or fluorescent lighting, the tint is more evident than with natural light. And when I see flashes of fire and rainbows, I don't notice any tint at all. :))

I've never regretted going to a K. If budget allowed it, my sweet spot is an H, but unfortunately I've never won the lottery.

Can you view the K and return it if you don't like it before getting it set?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
My girlfriend has a just under 2ct K color round, and whenever I see it, I NEVER think, "hmmm that looks yellow", all I see is a beautiful clear sparkly stone. Most people don't notice color on someone else's ring, they just think it is gorgeous and sparkly. You will be the one analyzing it all day, so whatever you think is just fine, is! Good luck on your search.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi: Opinions on a J are very welcomed, in fact one of the other stones on my short list is a 1.25 J SI2, which I really like but it looks like the grade making inclusion is a feather way off to side and looks like it might be touching the girdle, if it's not a durability risk then I think that it would be a great stone. I feel a lot better knowing that you don't see a large difference between the F and the K, are they cut similarly? I mean really, whos goes around looking at their stone through the pavillion anyway? I'm going to ask that when they change the head that they make it a six instead of 4 prong too, I think... :???: ....that may be another thread for another day.

Amy: That's exaclty it!! I really love my asscher, in fact I think we talked about this one time, it's just the whole finger coverage thing, and I've sort of nixed the idea of adding side traps or the beautiful halo that hubbby despises. :lol: I was really hoping that JA would hold my current stone for the 60 day inspection period, so that if I wasn't satisfied with the K then I could have my ring back and start over again. I'm sure that there is a reason that they don't do this, but I can't figure what it is. :roll:

Kim: Thanks so much for your thoughts. I'm sure that upside down against a white background I would see the color as well but I'd be very happy with a stone that looked white face up in most lighting environments. Would you say that all three of your Ks were very similar in their body color? For instance, did one every appear more white to you than another, or are all three very similar to each other? Is there a lighting environment that you prefer the color in? And do you think that you would be able to see a difference at all between an J and K? Sorry for all the questions, but your response is very much like the responses that I've read in older threads on the topic.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you really NEED to see Ks in person. I definitely do think Js and Ks look slightly yellow in their warmth.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
hearts-arrows_girl|1333842296|3165908 said:
My girlfriend has a just under 2ct K color round, and whenever I see it, I NEVER think, "hmmm that looks yellow", all I see is a beautiful clear sparkly stone. Most people don't notice color on someone else's ring, they just think it is gorgeous and sparkly. You will be the one analyzing it all day, so whatever you think is just fine, is! Good luck on your search.

Thanks! Body color seems more apparent in larger stones, so it's encouraging to hear that you don't notice it in a 2ct. (yum btw!) I think you make a great point about other people not noticing the color as much as I would, and I really think that I would be happy with a K. I imagine them to be much softer and more romantic than a super cool icy white stone. Candlelight comes to mind. :love: Someone in another thread mentioned that the jewelry industry has done a fantastic job of pushing D-J colored stones, because unfortunately there appears to be an 'Ick' factor amongst the general public when you mention a K colored stone. And admittedly I think that pre-pricescope I may have had that same reaction. Of course pre-pricescope I purchased stones based on reports alone, EGL meant the same to me as GIA, I had never heard of AGS, cut=shape, HCAwhat??? Idealwhat??? :lol:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a "J" for my pendant and I so love it.... I have a new appreciation for warmer stones...

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
MissStepcut|1333842841|3165912 said:
I think you really NEED to see Ks in person. I definitely do think Js and Ks look slightly yellow in their warmth.

I knew someone was going to tell me this! :lol: I'm thinking that I could ask my jeweler to bring in a K for me to view, however I feel really bad to do this because he was so nice about bringing stones in for me last year and then I ended up purchasing from an online vendor, so to ask him to bring in a K for me specifically to determine how I feel about a particular color stone that I'll be purchasing from someone else again.... :(sad I suppose I could lay out the cash and have the stone sent to me to evaluate and if I'm happy make arrangements to send it and my original stone back for the upgrade.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1333843897|3165922 said:
I just got a "J" for my pendant and I so love it.... I have a new appreciation for warmer stones...

Mayk this may seem like a really silly question, but do you think that everything about it is softer? I guess what I mean is, when I think warmer, I automatically think softer....when I think of an E I think of very cool and icy, even the color of the fire, if that make any sense? I guess I think that the warmer the stone, the more pastel the colors it gives of will be. does that make any sense at all? :twirl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I have seen the beautifully cut Crafted by Infinity K's in person, along with their other stones of both higher and lower colors. For me, K (and sometimes the L's) hits the spot where I would not want it for a ring stone. J and above are close to colorless, and M and below are getting nice and creamy. K's just strike me as needing a good scrubbing..the color seems a bit grey and dingy to my eye. Now, I'm talking about body color, and not about the amazing sparkle of these wonderfully cut diamonds.

However, I am thinking about K's if I ever upgrade my earrings. I think they would be fine when you never see them from the side, and look plenty white from the front.

You really need to see some K's in person. You'll know right away if you like the look, or not.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All three were similar in body color, although I think the 1.5 may show just a little more just because it's larger. I've never seen a J and K side-by-side, so I can't say for sure if I could tell the difference between the two. However, given my lack of color sensitivity in general, I'd say probably not. My favorite lighting environments for the color have been natural light and candlelight.

I agree with the other ladies, if you can see the K in person before you commit to it, that would be best!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually also owned the 1.16ct K that Kim owned once! I made a thread if you search for -- F K death match -- you will find it. A K looks warm, not yellow. Will you like it? Can't tell until you see it and wear it. I personally like wamrth better in chunkier cuts than RBs.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1333844373|3165925 said:
Mayk|1333843897|3165922 said:

Mayk this may seem like a really silly question, but do you think that everything about it is softer? I guess what I mean is, when I think warmer, I automatically think softer....when I think of an E I think of very cool and icy, even the color of the fire, if that make any sense? I guess I think that the warmer the stone, the more pastel the colors it gives of will be. does that make any sense at all? :twirl:

Christina great question and I have an interesting answer... I had a "not so great cut" in a J and it had that yellow tint you speak of... It was the first ering stone, i replaced it with a G. For my pendant it's an AGS 000 stone and it just has this glow to it and the sparkle is still fabulous...i get so many compliments...I would describe the glow as warmth... Softer sparkle.. A lot like what you are saying...not the icy white. So I think it speaks volumes about cut...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably wait a little longer until you can get a J. If you later regret the K, can you just trade for a similarly priced stone with James Allen?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find more tinted stones are not as bright to the eye. I don't see more pastels, but the white light emitted is not as eye catching. It is like the difference between soft white lightbulbs and "daylight" or "pure white" light bulbs, if you have seen those.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I was just reading your thread dreamer and was hoping that you would chime in. :)) You had mentioned to another poster once that you likened the body color of a K to the sands of the Sahara rather than a lemony yellow and I guess that makes me think of the dinginess that flygirl is referring to and now I'm envisioning myself trying to scrub it off. :(sad I did like your description of the light return though, I think that the softer white light and colors would really appeal to me, but now I'm majorly concerned about tilt. I suppose that I was thinking that I would only really notice the body color when I viewed it through the side. And I agree that I think that I would be super happy with a lower colored stone in an old cut (you had an M AVC too didn't you?) and that was the initial plan, but sadly isn't in the cards anymore.

So, it's sounding more like I should expect a K to look much differently than a J in most lighting situations. And I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be ok with that. I really wanted it to be like going from a G to an H. :lol: Unless I get an opportunity to see and play with a K in person within the next week or so then I'm going to have them pull the J and have the feather evaluated.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
How much were you looking to spend? I'm guessing you are sticking with JA because of your trade-in policy..... Would you consider trying the preloaded forum if you could find a deal??

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Is there any way you could have the stone shipped to an appraiser near you to view in person before deciding? I think that's what I'd do if I didn't want to hassle a local jeweler into bringing in stones. Then you can compare it with your asscher and view in all different kinds of lighting. My 1 ctw RB studs are probably mismatched J-K colors (uncerted but est. by appraiser and seller) and I can see the color difference in the two, and between my I color radiant e-ring (all approx. .5 carat stones, though, so tiny compared to what you'd be getting), however I wouldn't say it bothers me or is 'noticeable' unless comparing all 3 side-by-side in bright-ish lighting. Even then, the studs don't look yellow from the top or sides, they just look more ivory than white. I find the scintillation and fire to be the same amongst the 3 stones.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'm really glad I ask the question, funny how I've read through all the old threads but somehow hoped to have different answers and advice when it applies to myself. :rolleyes: :lol:

I still very much want a larger old cut down the road, maybe in 5 or 6 years and my son is off to college, so probably thats the better time to play with a lower color stone. We can swing an eye clean I or J right now, it just feels like there is a lot of money flying out of our pockets lately and the K was more cash friendly :$$): , but comparable to the J SI2 if that turns out to be eye clean and the feather is not a durability risk. There were others too that are within budget as well, so I'm not out of the game yet. ;)) If I didn't suffer the need for instant gratification, I might be able to talk myself into waiting until fall when our financial situation greatly improves again. What I really suffer from is indecisiveness!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1333848614|3165953 said:
Is there any way you could have the stone shipped to an appraiser near you to view in person before deciding? I think that's what I'd do if I didn't want to hassle a local jeweler into bringing in stones. Then you can compare it with your asscher and view in all different kinds of lighting. My 1 ctw RB studs are probably mismatched J-K colors (uncerted but est. by appraiser and seller) and I can see the color difference in the two, and between my I color radiant e-ring (all approx. .5 carat stones, though, so tiny compared to what you'd be getting), however I wouldn't say it bothers me or is 'noticeable' unless comparing all 3 side-by-side in bright-ish lighting. Even then, the studs don't look yellow from the top or sides, they just look more ivory than white. I find the scintillation and fire to be the same amongst the 3 stones.

You know what...I've never thought about having it sent to an appraiser. I know that James Allen says that they will do that, but I'm not sure if they will send it to an appraiser of my choice or not. Thats a great thought though and would certainly make deciding much much easier. I really hate the thought of dismissing a K all together because I'm afraid to try it, and don't want to be shipping stones back and forth a bunch of times. Thats definitely worth emailing about. Thanks!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina... said:
I'm really glad I ask the question, funny how I've read through all the old threads but somehow hoped to have different answers and advice when it applies to myself. :rolleyes: :lol:

I still very much want a larger old cut down the road, maybe in 5 or 6 years and my son is off to college, so probably thats the better time to play with a lower color stone. We can swing an eye clean I or J right now, it just feels like there is a lot of money flying out of our pockets lately and the K was more cash friendly :$$): , but comparable to the J SI2 if that turns out to be eye clean and the feather is not a durability risk. There were others too that are within budget as well, so I'm not out of the game yet. ;)) If I didn't suffer the need for instant gratification, I might be able to talk myself into waiting until fall when our financial situation greatly improves again. What I really suffer from is indecisiveness!
haha I feel you. I say keep saving, and be on the lookout for a J SI stone over the summer or fall. Until then think about and dream about the upgrade. I'd hate for you to pull the trigger on a K now when if you wait til fall when you have more cash flow you may be able to easily swing an eye clean I or J in a great size :)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Christina,

I have a 2 ct. J oval and when I see color, it's more like a very pale champagne tint, not yellow. I do like warmer colors.

liz

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Amys Bling|1333848092|3165949 said:
How much were you looking to spend? I'm guessing you are sticking with JA because of your trade-in policy..... Would you consider trying the preloaded forum if you could find a deal??

I love the idea of the preloved forum, but unfortunately for this purchase I'm going to have to stick to my upgrade with James Allen or convince myself to wait until late fall. We have to spend just shy of $6500, and I'm trying to stay as close to $7000 as possible, thats why I decided to consider K's because admitted it's a small budget for 7mm stone.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina... said:
Amys Bling|1333848092|3165949 said:

I love the idea of the preloved forum, but unfortunately for this purchase I'm going to have to stick to my upgrade with James Allen or convince myself to wait until late fall. We have to spend just shy of $6500, and I'm trying to stay as close to $7000 as possible, thats why I decided to consider K's because admitted it's a small budget for 7mm stone.
hmmm I'll keep my eyes peeled on JA for you :)

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you see the #1447056 J SI2 AGS Ideal for 7,270? A little over budget but do they give a pricescope discount.. If its eye clean it could be really nice :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina what is your budget of cash you are paying in addition to the trade? Are you ok with ebay? Because girl, I can help you find a stone on ebay for waaaaay less than $6k in an old cut, over 1.5ct if you want.

If you are worried about color then don't go there. I have done it. It will not make you happy. In my opinion with color, go LOOOOOOOOW or stay in the near colorless range. Like, look in the M-P range if you want tint. I liked the M color AVC more than the K color RB.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
dreamer_dachsie said:
Christina what is your budget of cash you are paying in addition to the trade? Are you ok with ebay? Because girl, I can help you find a stone on ebay for waaaaay less than $6k in an old cut, over 1.5ct if you want.

If you are worried about color then don't go there. I have done it. It will not make you happy. In my opinion with color, go LOOOOOOOOW or stay in the near colorless range. Like, look in the M-P range if you want tint. I liked the M color AVC more than the K color RB.
I agree with the eBay/ps preloaded forum. For 7,000 you could def find a stone in the 7mm range and keep your asscher. Or sell the asscher and with that sale plus the 7,000 you were going to put out you could get something killer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you just order one from a vendor with a good return policy and see what you think of it yourself for a couple weeks? That's what I'd do. JA has a good return policy.

I would be fine with a K in an old cut. Happy with one actually. And fine with a K for earrings. For a ring I would want to take the puppy for a test drive for a couple weeks.

I wouldn't commit to ANY 'risky' color without an in person test drive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results