shape
carat
color
clarity

Justifying an expensive non-jewellery purchase

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
How do you justify an expensive purchase?

For a while now, I've been eyeing an Hermès wallet. It's beautiful, it's functional and I want it. I can afford it without going into debt or jeopardising other savings plans. I should buy it, right?

Last week I showed it to a friend and mentioned that I wanted to get it on an overseas trip next year (we don't have Hermès in my country). My friend was appalled. That much money! For a wallet! I could buy a regular leather wallet from a local craftsman every year for the next 30 years and it would still be cheaper, I would be investing in the local economy blah blah blah

I brushed it off, but now I'm second guessing myself. Should I rather buy something else? Perhaps I should just replace the perfectly serviceable leather wallet I've been using for the past five years with something similar? Or if I want a luxury item, perhaps I should just buy a Louis Vuitton wallet? They're readily available in my country and while expensive, they're still cheaper than Hermès... But I want Hermès. Not just any Hermès. This Hermès.

I don't know why I want Hermès. But I do. And after this conversation with my friend I'm struggling with whether or not I should buy it, and I'm having difficulty justifying the price. I mean, spending a ton of money on a diamond is one thing. That's what they cost, yanno? But I could buy a hundred wallets for the same price as this Hermès.

So I'm stuck.

How do you justify expensive purchases? Or do you just go, "I like it, I can afford it, I'll buy it!"

Help.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Most of my fairly expensive purchases are non-jewelry items. I absolutely adore designer shoes and handbags. I try to find things on sale if possible. Yes, some high-end designers (like Chanel, Christian Louboutin, Valentino, etc.) do go on sale (typically at the end of a season), but not hermes. When it comes to gifts (like my birthday, Christmas, etc.) I am far more likely to ask for a new pair of shoes, a handbag, etc., so that's another way to justify it. I have 3 Hermes handbags, but none of them are my holy grail of handbags (a Birkin). If you can afford it, you've done your research, and the Hermes wallet makes your heart sing, then buy it. Don't let others determine how, when, and what to spend your money on. Buy the wallet as a gift for yourself (maybe you have an upcoming birthday, anniversary, etc.?) and enjoy it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I feel I am going to use and enjoy that purchase often and for a long time I will get it. I look at it from the cost per use perspective. So even if I spend let's say 50K on a ring but I am wearing it every day of my life well cost per use is dramatically decreased and makes it a worthwhile purchase for me. Let's say I am looking at a wedding dress well guess what? The cost per use is expensive so I am not spending 5K on a wedding dress but rather more reasonable (for me) cost.

So let's look at your potential Hermes purchase. Are you going to wear and enjoy it a lot? Look at how often you plan on using it and then if you can afford it go for it if it makes sense. It doesn't matter if it is jewelry or non jewelry if you are going to use and love it and the amount of time you will be doing so makes sense then go ahead and enjoy.

If you love and want something and will get much pleasure out of using it buying something else won't scratch that itch so don't waste money on a distant second but rather go for the one you want now. You can easily afford it so go for it.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate - you can't buy happiness...but you can buy Hermès...and that's kinda the same thing...right? ;-)

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
momhappy|1463486262|4032627 said:
Most of my fairly expensive purchases are non-jewelry items. I absolutely adore designer shoes and handbags. I try to find things on sale if possible. Yes, some high-end designers (like Chanel, Christian Louboutin, Valentino, etc.) do go on sale (typically at the end of a season), but not hermes. When it comes to gifts (like my birthday, Christmas, etc.) I am far more likely to ask for a new pair of shoes, a handbag, etc., so that's another way to justify it. I have 3 Hermes handbags, but none of them are my holy grail of handbags (a Birkin). If you can afford it, you've done your research, and the Hermes wallet makes your heart sing, then buy it. Don't let others determine how, when, and what to spend your money on. Buy the wallet as a gift for yourself (maybe you have an upcoming birthday, anniversary, etc.?) and enjoy it!

I've seen a glimpse of your shoe cupboard and it was just... :love: :love: :love: I tend to request random stuff for birthdays and Christmas etc. I actually just received a cosmetics case made by a local designer and it's lovely, but it's not nearly as special as I thought it would be.

Regarding the bolded, you're right. I should work on that.

missy said:
If I feel I am going to use and enjoy that purchase often and for a long time I will get it. I look at it from the cost per use perspective. So even if I spend let's say 50K on a ring but I am wearing it every day of my life well cost per use is dramatically decreased and makes it a worthwhile purchase for me. Let's say I am looking at a wedding dress well guess what? The cost per use is expensive so I am not spending 5K on a wedding dress but rather more reasonable (for me) cost.

So let's look at your potential Hermes purchase. Are you going to wear and enjoy it a lot? Look at how often you plan on using it and then if you can afford it go for it if it makes sense. It doesn't matter if it is jewelry or non jewelry if you are going to use and love it and the amount of time you will be doing so makes sense then go ahead and enjoy.

If you love and want something and will get much pleasure out of using it buying something else won't scratch that itch so don't waste money on a distant second but rather go for the one you want now. You can easily afford it so go for it.

I've been using my current leather wallet for five years. It was a gift from a dear old lady in the UK who knows I appreciate quality and adore pink, and she managed to combine both in this wallet. It's a good wallet. But as far as cost goes, I could easily have a new one every five years and still be nowhere near spending what I would spend on the Hermès. On the other hand, if this wallet has managed to last this long and so well, surely an Hermès wallet will last even longer...? Thus working out to about the same cost per wear...?

ADN said:
Hey mate - you can't buy happiness...but you can buy Hermès...and that's kinda the same thing...right? ;-)

YES!!! LOL! :lol:

Funnily enough, no one I know in real life would recognise this item as being Hermès, so it's not even as if I'm buying it to impress those around me. I just want it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie said:
Funnily enough, no one I know in real life would recognise this item as being Hermès, so it's not even as if I'm buying it to impress those around me. I just want it.

Trekkie, I agree completely. Buying something to impress others is a sure fire recipe for disappointment IMO. Only buy it because YOU love and adore it. Give no thought to what others will think. It doesn't matter. Buy it for you only because buying to impress others is never satisfying in the long run (or IMO in the short run either).

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're not going to be eating PB&J for the foreseeable future due to the purchase, yeah, get it. YOLO right? :appl: :appl:

Plus the older I get the more I realize if you gotta be here, you might as well enjoy it.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Who needs a new wallet every year for 30 years? I've been doing the Marie Kondo method of clearing out clutter, and the one question to ask about every object you own (or are about to purchase) is simply, "Does this spark joy?" It sounds like this wallet would spark a serious amount of joy for you, every time you use it, probably for many years to come. I would say that justifies the price. The fact that it's a secret joy (nobody would recognize it as expensive) for me, would make it even more of a spark of joy--that private spark of joy that only you know about, which somehow makes the joy sweeter.

You absolutely do not need to justify this purchase to anyone else.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally agree that no one else should determine what you spend your extra money on. The one thing I hate seeing here on this forum is when people say they are selling a diamond ring because of unexpected expenses such as car repair or vet bills. My feeling on any luxury items or vacations is that retirement savings and emergency savings take priority, and unless those are in place, luxuries should wait. Aside from that, each of us spends money in different ways. I buy lower end designer bags such as Coach, Rebecca Minkoff, etc. I have never paid more than a few hundred for them and always get them on sale. I will never own a Hermes because I wouldn't pay that much for a purse. The only high end bag I'd really desire is a classic black Chanel, but I would have to come across an incredible deal to buy that. When we are talking thousands for an item, I will always choose fine jewelry because it will last potentially through generations, and I do not think leather items that are really used will. On the other hand, if I were going to spend $2000-3000 on leather goods, it would definitely be for a purse and not a wallet.

Bottom line, you don't have to justify anything to anyone. But if it were me, I would be buying a purse (or two) with that money if all my jewelry wants were met.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So no being in the know with this brand (I've seen it here but I'm happy with my Coach bags), I had to search. Honestly, knowing PSer's champange taste I was expecting it to be more expensive. :shock: :rolleyes: I agree with what others have said: if you want it, you have the funds (w/o going into debt or eating PB&J forever), then get it. I would advise against buying a less expensive knockoff (or as your friend suggested doing the local thing) because you may regret that decision and still buy the expensive wallet later and feel the guilt of having the two. I remember when I was agonizing over my Cartier Trinity. I love it and have worn it every day since I bought it. I don't regret buying it at all. :D

So....what color/one will you get? I totally googled them and they look really nice. ;-)

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The fact that you want it is justification enough. Go for it and enjoy it =)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1463485204|4032623 said:

For a while now, I've been eyeing an Hermès wallet. It's beautiful, it's functional and I want it. I can afford it without going into debt or jeopardising other savings plans. I should buy it, right?

Last week I showed it to a friend and mentioned that I wanted to get it on an overseas trip next year (we don't have Hermès in my country). My friend was appalled. That much money! For a wallet! I could buy a regular leather wallet from a local craftsman every year for the next 30 years and it would still be cheaper, I would be investing in the local economy blah blah blah

I brushed it off, but now I'm second guessing myself. Should I rather buy something else? Perhaps I should just replace the perfectly serviceable leather wallet I've been using for the past five years with something similar? Or if I want a luxury item, perhaps I should just buy a Louis Vuitton wallet? They're readily available in my country and while expensive, they're still cheaper than Hermès... But I want Hermès. Not just any Hermès. This Hermès.

I don't know why I want Hermès. But I do. And after this conversation with my friend I'm struggling with whether or not I should buy it, and I'm having difficulty justifying the price. I mean, spending a ton of money on a diamond is one thing. That's what they cost, yanno? But I could buy a hundred wallets for the same price as this Hermès.

So I'm stuck.

How do you justify expensive purchases? Or do you just go, "I like it, I can afford it, I'll buy it!"

Help.

I would say "buy it if you like it and can easily afford it without going into debt/withdrawing from savings," but if you are so easily swayed by the conversation with your friend to the point where you doubt your own reasoning/rationale for purchasing a luxury item, then really I'd suggest taking more time with this decision.

Sure, you want the Hermes wallet, sure, you can afford it, but if one friend can pull you off the "buy" path after one conversation, then I just don't think your heart and brain are aligned at this time for this purchase.

Just my 2 cents...

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1463492274|4032654 said:
Honestly, knowing PSer's champange taste I was expecting it to be more expensive. :shock: :rolleyes: I agree with what others have said: if you want it, you have the funds (w/o going into debt or eating PB&J forever), then get it. I would advise against buying a less expensive knockoff...

Ditto. You know your finances and all of the many little decisions that you make as you make a bigger decision of this kind better than your friend does. And you know your heart better than your friend does. If this makes your heart sing... and if it still makes your heart sing when you see it in person... then don't let your friend dissuade you.

ETA: and if at some point you change your mind, don't let this conversation dissuade you from that, either. :wink2:

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
It's already been said but you don't need to reconcile someone else's tastes/choices with your own.

A friend of mine doesn't share my interest in jewellery and I don't share her interest in Chanel handbags, lol. She will happily spend thousands on a handbag but only commit to buying inexpensive costume jewellery (go figure). I'm the opposite of that. A serviceable hundred dollar leather bag that I don't have to baby is my preference and I hate 'wasting' money on costume jewellery knowing a hundred dollars here and there would add up to one really nice piece of bling. But neither of us care what the other thinks about each other's choices - I'm happy she enjoys what she does.

Q

Queenie60

If you like the wallet then I say buy it - as long as it's not interfering with long term financial plans, taking bread off of your families plate, etc. I don't share my purchases with my friends, only my bff and I don't tell her about all of my jewelry purchases as she would think I'm crazy. I have a few LV bags that I use quite a lot and don't find the need for more. I prefer spending my extra money on jewelry as it's something that will last my lifetime. I only have about 30 to 40 more years left on this planet and I am going to enjoy it. However, with items such as purses, shoes and extremely expensive clothing, I think it through and take the time to decide if I will actually use it, the durability of the item, etc. Depends on your lifestyle.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1463485204|4032623 said:

Simple.
I want it and can afford it.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie,

I love finances, saving money, long-term planning, and the security that comes from making wise financial decisions. I've been the main bread-winner of the family while married and, since getting divorced, the sole bread winner. I retired in my forties and don't need anyone to help me financially.

All that to say that I don't spend money foolishly or neglect financial priorities.

When thinking about a 'want', whether its jewellery, shoes, trips, wedding dress, or a Hermes wallet, there are only two things I consider in the justification process:

1. Can I afford it?

2. Do I want it?

MadameBijoux said it more succinctly 'if you want it, that's all the justification you need'.

I spent too much of my life thinking about the opinions of others (and I still have to watch myself to avoid succumbing to that trap).

A 'want' is a personal preference. Its about making you happy, not your friends, family or colleagues. What makes them happy may do nothing for you.

The most expensive 'want' I have purchased (so far) was a painting I commissioned. People in my life would be shocked if they knew what it cost. But the expense is none of their business and hasn't been revealed to them. And, I made my decision without discussing it with anyone. I have no doubt that most people would probably think it was a crazy expense and think about all the things that amount of money might have purchased. So what. My money, my decision. An expense that was made to make me happy.

You said that with diamonds, 'that's what they cost'. A lot of people (not on PS!) would tell you 'don't buy a diamond!'; spend the money on trips, restaurants, whatever. Totally irrelevant.

You want this wallet, that's what it costs. Sure you could buy a wallet that costs less, but you want this one.

Sorry to ramble. I've always had to be responsible with money and understand the whole justification thing. Please don't let others prevent you from having something that you can afford and will bring you joy. And I understand the idea of looking at cost-per-use; if it works for you, fine. For me, I consider it a way of making a purchase seem 'practical'. 'Wants' and 'practical' are two separate things in my mind. I don't care about the cost-per-use for 'wants'. And I don't care that something else would bring more joy to someone else. If its a purchase meant to make me happy, then it should simply be based on my finances and my wants.

Gosh, I can be long-winded! :shock:

Hopefully, there was a sliver of something useful for you in all that! :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It makes me feel good, and I can afford it.

DK :))

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I was writing the above novel, Kenny and others posted.

It seems we're all saying the same thing; if you can afford it and want it, then buy it.

Someone once told me that we sometimes need to hear the same thing from different people.

I think you have.

And, believe it or not, I left something out of my lengthy, rambling initial post:

please don't let others suck the joy out of a purchase by allowing them to dictate what your 'wants' should be.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Trekkie|1463487990|4032638 said:
momhappy|1463486262|4032627 said:

I've seen a glimpse of your shoe cupboard and it was just... :love: :love: :love: I tend to request random stuff for birthdays and Christmas etc. I actually just received a cosmetics case made by a local designer and it's lovely, but it's not nearly as special as I thought it would be.

Regarding the bolded, you're right. I should work on that.

missy said:

I've been using my current leather wallet for five years. It was a gift from a dear old lady in the UK who knows I appreciate quality and adore pink, and she managed to combine both in this wallet. It's a good wallet. But as far as cost goes, I could easily have a new one every five years and still be nowhere near spending what I would spend on the Hermès. On the other hand, if this wallet has managed to last this long and so well, surely an Hermès wallet will last even longer...? Thus working out to about the same cost per wear...?

ADN said:

YES!!! LOL! :lol:

Oh, trust me, I get it - there's just something special about Hermes. I recently purchased the orange leather Hermes double wrap strap for my Apple Watch not because I needed it, but because I wanted it and I've worn it almost daily since I got it. It takes me to a happy place every time I look at it :lol: If you use a wallet a lot, then why not make it one that's special (since you can afford it).

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you really want it and can afford it, go for it. Life is too short to settle for less than what you really want.

Luxury items are just like any other choice in life. Some people choose them and some people don't. We all have the freedom to choose what we save and what we spend. I bet your friend has spent money on something you think is wasteful. To each his/her own.

Sorry your friend is a party pooper. I've experienced the same thing and I always regret it in the end when I go against what really makes my heart sing in favor of what's practical/acceptable/less expensive.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go for it!...I look at a white colored Hermes wallet in NYC and the SA quoted me $10,800. .. :-o I was guessing like $6500... :oops:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just b/c someone else thinks it's a crazy purchase, doesn't mean it is to you. We all have the choice to spend our money how we see fit. I was talking to a friend last year and she said it's nothing for her to spend hundreds of dollars to her hair done-she herself charges like $300 for a cut or something crazy like that. She travels a lot, all over the world. Those things are important to her. To her, spending more than $100 on her engagement ring is ridiculous...I spent (to me) and insane amount on my Princess Bride set, and she said she would rather have used that money to go on vacation.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can afford it, go for it.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of it this way in terms of potential luxury purchases. Getting something you love is priceless (as long as you can afford it, of course)! :$$):

susief

Shiny_Rock
Don't discuss expensive purchases with non-enthusiasts. They spoil all your fun. That's what specialist forums are for.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screw that friend. Now I think you will need to buy a handbag to match the wallet!

:twisted:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1463488752|4032643 said:
Who needs a new wallet every year for 30 years? I've been doing the Marie Kondo method of clearing out clutter, and the one question to ask about every object you own (or are about to purchase) is simply, "Does this spark joy?" It sounds like this wallet would spark a serious amount of joy for you, every time you use it, probably for many years to come. I would say that justifies the price. The fact that it's a secret joy (nobody would recognize it as expensive) for me, would make it even more of a spark of joy--that private spark of joy that only you know about, which somehow makes the joy sweeter.

You absolutely do not need to justify this purchase to anyone else.
This is the crux of it for me - if it sparks joy every single time you pick it up or look at it then it's got an extra value over and above the material costs and the labour. And that is worth it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

There will always be cheaper and more expensive items to be purchased. Get exactly what you want--otherwise you will feel as though you settled. Or compromised out of guilt.

Don't let someone spoil your joy. (says the girl who wore her new Hermes sandals today!)

cheers--Sharon

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1463526388|4032957 said:
HI:

There will always be cheaper and more expensive items to be purchased. Get exactly what you want--otherwise you will feel as though you settled. Or compromised out of guilt.

Don't let someone spoil your joy. (says the girl who wore her new Hermes sandals today!)

cheers--Sharon

And I bet you looked and felt great! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results