shape
carat
color
clarity

Just tell me the best place to buy ammolite

aisopia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Tell me your favorite online vendor for good quality ammolite. I will check out any of them.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No please?
No thank you?

‘Just do it’

aisopia

Rough_Rock
Trade
didnt we have this question the other day ?

i know you didnt get many replies but just bump your own thread without making multibles

Nah I give up searching for some good Santo Carbone's products. Its too damn hard. Now I'm going free for all.

I've been checking out many vendor and the price point for ammolites are not the same: some are super cheap (but seems legit), some are expensive and some are super expensive and they all look the same smh. And then I have to consider if it's a solid, doublet, triplet; if its fake or not... heck, the standard for ammolite isn't even consistent across all vendor. I like ammolite but its becoming a headache for me so I have to shamelessly ask this forum again for advice, if that's fine.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't it all stabilized? I always thought it was super-cool but was turned off by the adulteration. I would love an amazing one in matrix but, scientifically, I am opposed to the commercialization of fossils. I know it's not quite like buying a museum-grade T. rex for my hedge fund lobby but the idea of a commoditized fossil divorced from any location or stratigraphic identifiers is kind of icky. But I've now wandered pretty far from ammolite, most of which is incomplete and not super-significant, paleontologically, I reckon.

aisopia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Isn't it all stabilized? I always thought it was super-cool but was turned off by the adulteration. I would love an amazing one in matrix but, scientifically, I am opposed to the commercialization of fossils. I know it's not quite like buying a museum-grade T. rex for my hedge fund lobby but the idea of a commoditized fossil divorced from any location or stratigraphic identifiers is kind of icky. But I've now wandered pretty far from ammolite, most of which is incomplete and not super-significant, paleontologically, I reckon.

I think many of your questions can be answered by reading this: https://www.gia.edu/doc/SP01.pdf

I can't reply to all of your statements directly, for I am no paleontologist, and my English is shit. However, what I do know is that not all ammolite requires and therefore undergoes stabilization. Most, if not all, commercialized ammolite comes from a very specific location in southern Alberta, even though ammolite can be found throughout Bearpaw's Formation. These specimens are used because they are structurally viable for polishing. Those that did undergo artificial stabilization are most likely mined from a layer called Zone 4, whereas those that didn't are probably from K-Zone. The reason they won't need to be stabilized is because they are naturally sealed with other materials after being crushed or fractured. Also, from of my understanding, a fully intact ammonite, even with an ammolite layer, is considered to be a fossil and not a mineral under the Canadian law. So to some degree they are probably protected albeit I do not know to what extend, but I think you knew.

Last edited:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can't help as I stopped looking for Ammolite after I had bought one in Banff back in 2001. I browsed as many shops as I could until I found an unset piece that I liked.

DK :))

aisopia

Rough_Rock
Trade
Can't help as I stopped looking for Ammolite after I had bought one in Banff back in 2001. I browsed as many shops as I could until I found an unset piece that I liked.

: (

aisopia

Rough_Rock
Trade

Welp after a second read I realize I didn't correctly respond to the context, L.
But anyway I'm not trying to buy ammolite for its paleontological value. I want to purchase one as a gem piece.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock

I got my ammolite pendant in Banff many years ago, but know nothing about them, other than they are fossils. My last time in Banff, (can’t remember the year) there were far fewer shops selling them than previously.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results