shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got engaged-Pics of my Old European Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

starburst

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Congratulations!! It is absolutely beautiful!!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 4:31:38 PM
Author:milwrocks
Hello,

I just got engaged a few months ago. My boyfriend and I found a beautiful Old European Cut diamond that was being sold consignment through a local jeweler. The stone was being sold loose without a setting. It was originally bought in New York City in 1910 and up until we bought it had stayed in the same family.

Fortunately, we also found an antique platinum filagree setting at the same jeweler. It did have a center stone, but the quality was much better on the loose stone and they happened to be the same exact size, so the jeweler said they would be willing to switch them. It was fate!

I couldn''t be happier with how they came together and sometimes I think that my fiancee loves the ring more than I do. I''ve read a lot of forums on here about OEC''s, so I wanted to share a few pics with everyone. This OEC has so much fire and brilliance...the pictures really don''t do it justice.

I went back and forth on my desicion to get an antique e-ring, but I''m so glad I did. There is something so special about wearing something with so much history. It also doesn''t hurt that it is so unique and sparkly compared to my friends e-rings
2.gif
Its gorgeous!! Congrats! Do you mind if I ask the name of the jeweler you found your stone & setting?

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful ring and stone!!

Congratulations on your engagement! All the best!

Cachette
1.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!

Still_Waiting

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, that stone is just BEAUTIFUL! Congratulations!

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh my gosh, I love it! What a cool story and I think that setting is so unique!

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
nice antique feel

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Love it! So beautiful and charming!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Love it!!!
30.gif

Lori

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my..... absolutely beautiful. Love the vintage look. Must post more photos of it from all angles and especially the setting too. Just beautiful and congratulations on the engagement.
30.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
congratulations on getting engaged!!!!

an OEC in a setting with single cuts?!
30.gif
18.gif
30.gif
18.gif
your ring is absolutely stunning and i agree with how it's so unique and beautiful!

please post some more pics of that sparkler! from the pics, it seems the ring sits flushed against your finger and i just adore that.

again, many congrats you lucky girl!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
ugh.. such a timeless design and ring... The diamonds looks so beautiful... Lucky gal !! :)

kimmyintexas

Shiny_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Gorgeous!! Congratulations!

princessplease

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely ring!!!!!! Congrats!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Now THAT''S what I''m talking about!!! Complete gorgeousness!!!! Congratulations!!

milwrocks

Rough_Rock
WestJenn-We live in Milwaukee, WI. The jeweler is Conrad Jewelers on Oakland Ave. They are a very small Jeweler. They don''t have much of a selection, but they did have a few antique pieces. I have to admit, I intially wanted to look at one of the "big" jewelers to get an idea of what I wanted. My boyfriend surprised me on my birthday and told me we should look at rings, but we got such a late start that a lot of places were already closing. We found Conrad online and they were open until 5, so we stopped in. That''s part of the reason I said it was fate in my original post...we randomly went to this jeweler and and they had just got the stone in consignment.

For those of you that asked for more detailed pics, I tried to take a few more. It''s funny...I kind of feel weird taking all these pictures of my ring, but I guess this is the only place where it''s okay to brag about your bling.
1.gif

oec1987.jpg

milwrocks

Rough_Rock
Sorry these pics are so huge...I''m not very good at this :)

oec1990.jpg

milwrocks

Rough_Rock
side view....it does sit very flush on my finger

oec1996.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Don''t apologize for the pictures. Bigger IS better!! Love the last picture. It shows the amazing pattern of the stone and the beautifully centered culet!!! Congrats on this beauty!!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
oooooooh!! i love it!!! so gorgeous! congrats on finding such a lovely stone + setting!

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Love it! just fantastic. love the history!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ohhh, swaeeet! Congrats!

cheers--Sharon

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Milwrocks,

I''m so glad you posted more photos. Your rings is really spectacular! The milgrain detail is so nice. All of those single stones and the filigree make this a very special ring. I also adore how the two final side stones are a bit heart-shaped (can''t tell completely from the angle, but that''s how it appears to me). That is very sweet.

And, the STONE is really gorgeous! I love the faceting! May I ask what color they graded it at? I''m always curious about the color of older stones, and just like you said about this being the only place you can brag about your blings, it''s also one of the few places where one can ask such a question!

I think the story about how you found it is great too! Sometimes things are just meant to be!! Makes it seem all the more right, right?

Congratulations on your engagement!!
36.gif

SweetAdeline

Rough_Rock
Love this cut - what a great ring!!

westjenn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 11:32:55 PM
Author: milwrocks
WestJenn-We live in Milwaukee, WI. The jeweler is Conrad Jewelers on Oakland Ave. They are a very small Jeweler. They don''t have much of a selection, but they did have a few antique pieces. I have to admit, I intially wanted to look at one of the ''big'' jewelers to get an idea of what I wanted. My boyfriend surprised me on my birthday and told me we should look at rings, but we got such a late start that a lot of places were already closing. We found Conrad online and they were open until 5, so we stopped in. That''s part of the reason I said it was fate in my original post...we randomly went to this jeweler and and they had just got the stone in consignment.

For those of you that asked for more detailed pics, I tried to take a few more. It''s funny...I kind of feel weird taking all these pictures of my ring, but I guess this is the only place where it''s okay to brag about your bling.
1.gif
OMG--- I live in Milwaukee too! I assumed that you lived in Milw. based on your screen name!! I know exactly where Conrad''s is! That''s great! I had no idea that they sold vintage
1.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is just gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!

milwrocks

Rough_Rock
Loves Vintage-It''s H in color. VS-2 in clarity. I don''t know what the cut would be considered since they can''t really grade an OEC as excellent or good. As I mentioned in an earlier post, it looks a LITTLE shallow. All I know about the cut is that for being almost a 100 years old, this stone has so much fire and brilliance it''s crazy!! In certain lighting I catch people I''m talking to staring...haha.
21.gif

WestJenn-You should check them out. Super great to work with and they do have other antique rings that are beautiful.

Does anyone have a good suggestion on cleaning this type of antique ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results