shape
carat
color
clarity

Just got engaged - concerns about my diamond...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neenydp

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to post an update to my situation. We visited the jeweler 1 1/2 weeks ago and I showed him the inclusions, which he saw. He had a diamond there that was similar to the one I have now, albeit one grade up in color and slightly smaller in diameter - oh, and no VISIBLE inclusions.

Comparing it to the diamond I have now, it''s almost the same. Sparkles slightly less (ideal cut vs. ideal plus of current), and is slightly smaller in diameter, so appears slightly smaller, too (7.31mm vs. current 7.46mm, despite the minimal carat difference: 1.51 carats vs. my current 1.52). It is also an SI2, but I looked at it through a loupe, located the few inclusions I did see and then really looked hard WITHOUT the loupe to see if I could see them w/ the naked eye, which I could not.

The jeweler said he''d continue to look for diamonds for me in case something better in terms of cut came along, but is still similar to the diamond I have. At this point, however, it''s still a palpable, hurtful issue for my fiance. I don''t want to flat out return the diamond b/c that would hurt him even more, and continuing to press the issue may have the same result. With this diamond, I''m maintaining the same look, size, minus a little sparkle perhaps, but most importantly, minus the visible inclusions. Below are the specs (according to EGL USA, anyway). I understand, as the appraisal of my first diamond, that they will likely be off a grade.

I feel that maybe I shouldn''t be too picky at this point and just settle the issue so I can enjoy this engagement without the burden of trying to make this ring perfect, and continuing to hurt my fiance''s feelings in the process. after all, it''s what he picked out for me out of love. Sure, I know that for $11k he should''ve gotten a much better diamond for what he chose, but I can''t keep forcing that on him - for what?? I mean, if anything now he knows to do more research on such a big purchase....

Please let me know your thoughts on this stone. Again, it''s EGL USA. I plugged it into the HCA and got in the upper 4s-5...saying "''good'' - purchase only if price is main criterion" Should I get hung up on this enough to ask the jeweler to KEEP looking and draw this out even more?

Weight: 1.51 ct.
Shape: ROUND BRILLIANT
Color: E
Clarity: SI2
Measurements: 7.31 - 7.25 x 4.6 mm
Depth: 63.2
Table: 58.0
Crown: 15.4
Pavilion: 43.8
Girdle: MEDIUM TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish: VERY GOOD
Symmetry: VERY GOOD
Fluorescence: NONE
Culet: NONE
Cut Grade: IDEAL

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This new stone is no way an ideal cut stone. Not even close, hence you noticed it is less sparkley. Ideal stones should have a HCA score of less than 2. Since you are obviously still not satisfied with the stone, keep looking.

neenydp

Rough_Rock
I should mention that I do recognize that those "ideal" and "ideal plus" ratings are terms clearly given arbitrarily by EGL USA. They aren''t ideal, but the supposed "plus" one does sparkle more than the other.
7.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really have any advice, but just have to shake my head at your predicament. Another reason why I never deal with friends or family when it come to any major transactions; even when the connection is very tenuous--such as in this family connection case--it makes it so much harder when things go wrong.

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I think you have to keep looking, although you have to tread lightly as there are hurt feeling here. You know him best and will need to find the best balance and a way to keep his ego intact while finding a diamond worth $11000. I''d prefer inclusions to a poorly cut diamond.

Good luck to you!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 11:50:45 AM
Author: Chrono

Most SI2s and I1s will have inclusions that are visible to the naked eye.
While I agree with most of Chrono''s post, I do disagree with this characterization and want to point it out.

Inclusions aren''t visible to the naked eye in most diamonds SI2 and above. The SI range (si1, si2) means that inclusions will be very easily seen under 10x mag, but not typically visible to the unaided eye. It is the I1 point that they are most commonly easily seen with the unaided eye.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t take the new stone, it''s probably not a great performer.

Stay strong but polite. Don''t give in and settle at this point because wanting something different down the road is going to be even more hurtful than getting what you want now even if it takes a long time to your hubby. Since you are not very interested in getting your money back, go to the jeweler with *specific* criteria for your stone and have him call them in.

This would be a good place to start with criteria for your jeweler:
GIA or AGS, or maybe EGL USA (but SI1 or higher for EGL)
depth: 60-62
table: 54-57
girdle: thin to med, med, thin to slightly thick, etc.
polish/symmetry: at least VG on both
crown/pavillion angles 34.2-35/40.2-41
A HCA of under 2 (tell him what this is and ask him politely to run the numbers)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results