shape
carat
color
clarity

"Just Barely" Pregnant PS''ers

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m on the CVS brand prenatals with DHA and I''ve not had any issues. My doc wanted me to get on them early so my body could acclimate and not have them exacerbate MS. We''ll see....

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The prenatals the doc prescribed had incredibly high amounts of iron, hence the no pooping for 10 days, and more than 100% of many vitamins that I think caused some of the MS. Before pregnancy I was taking a One a Day and was completely fine so I found a prenatal that had less than 100% of most of the vitamins and less iron, although still 100% of folic acid and a few other things. The ones from Walmart also have DHA which my RX did not. They taste a bit fishy and it makes me a bit queasy to smell them, but they don''t leave a fishy taste.

With JT, I took the RXed prenatals for the first trimester and then switched to the Target brand for the rest of the pregnancy and did fine so I''m not concerned about not being on a prescription. I think it''s more important to be able to eat well than to have these crazy vitamins.

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
thanks for the congrats ladies! I also agree, I really do not think I could be 10 weeks. I have a written down a bunch of estimated dates and observations so hopefully that should help the dr. pinpoint the date.

Thank you so much for the advice too, I definitely want to be sensitive to all my friends, I know they will be great--but it doesn''t make it any easier for them.

Baby dust all around to those early on and those trying!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re prenatals, i got some cheapie safeway brand and have been taking these the whole time. i also know gals who never even took them, just kept taking regular Centrum or whatever and were fine.

however, interesting note re: prenatals, in our early pregnancy class they mentioned that the baby's spinal cord is typically fully formed and fused by 4 weeks. that means that by the time most people even find out they are pregnant, chances are the cord is 'done'. since i know a lot of people take the prenatals to help with folic acid for cord creation, this was really surprising to me...i thought that cord took longer to close.

i was not taking prenatals at all before we thought we might be preggo, but for anyone trying i would def recommend starting them earlier now that we heard how quickly the cord finishes itself off.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Mara~ Interesting about the cord. I had no idea it was closed so early either. It completely amazes me. If I still get sick with these other prenatals, I''m going back to the One a Day. It''s better than nothing and I would assume a whole lot better if you can stomach food throughout pregnancy.

aqua_girl

Rough_Rock
Hello Luther!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
36.gif
Welcome aboard this crazy ride, and wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!

So, an update from me from Christmas.

We ended up deciding to tell my parents on Christmas morning. We arrived there late Christmas eve so it wasnt too hard keeping it in. In the end I wrote each of my parents a card along the lines of "Dear Grandma/Grandpa. Merry Christmas, looking forward to meeting you in August. Im having my picture taken on the 6th Jan to see how I am growing (which is my dad''s 60th bday) etc etc". My mum opened hers and started to read it and then went and put her glasses on to check she was reading it right! haha. once she finished her eyes welled up and she looked so excited but didnt say anything yet because my dad hadn''t opened his card. Funny thing was, he was playing the Wii at the time (he''s a bit on the competitive side) so because he had no idea what was inside he was like ''yep, ill just put that there and open it in just a tick once I win this''. haha. i think he was playing table tennis or something. anyway, mum was like ''A, I really think you need to open your card'', she was bursting with excitement and he kept with the ''yep, yep, just a minute''. haha, anyway he must have cottoned on that it said something important because he finally put the wii thing down and read it. Well they were both over the moon! It was really nice to have such positivity and they couldnt stop talking about it. My sister and her fiance arrived later that morning and we told them via the same method and they were very excited too!!!

So all in all it was a very nice Christmas!

BUT (why is there always a but!?) then it was time to tell DH''s family on our way home (they only live an hour away and they looked after one of our pooches over Christmas so we had to call in to pick him up). Well, the news with them went down like a lead balloon. Disappointing to say the least. In FIL''s defense, he was REALLY excited, however MIL''s reaction definitely overshadowed things. She gave this high-pitched fake ''how exciting'' and then barely said anything.
Not long after that everyone decided to drift off to bed. Then the next morning the first thing she asked was could we please pay back the money faster that she lent us to purchase a car last year. Mind you, we were headed to the bank for that loan, until she talked DH into how ridiculous it was to pay interest when she wanted to help us, no strings attached etc etc. There is only 3.5k left to go which was going to be finished by May at the absolute latest. Weve redone our budget and we will have it finished in 6 weeks time. We have always made regular repayments so it was very obvious this was all about money. No congratulations, nothing. Just talk about money.
29.gif
Poor DH is devastated. And as we were leaving we were talking about it with FIL and he said she spent last night talking to him about our financial situation and how disastrous this is. Not that I believe this is ANY of her business, but DH has a good, stable job that hes been in for 4 years, I work full time, we bought a house last year (mortgaged). I didnt realise people still had to ''tick all the boxes'' these days to prove they were ''worth'' having children, but obviously its still that way in this family! Anwyay, I could rant out about this for hours. To cut a long story short, DH spoke to her this morning about how her reaction has been so negative and hurtful, and put such a dampener on things, and she basically told him she thought he was overreacting, and she cant help but always think about money. wth???? DH is at work today and his dad called him there to ask if he would meet his mum for lunch today as she was very upset (why MIL has suddenly lost her voice is beyond me!). DH said FIL encouraged him for telling MIL that it was really upsetting she just focused on money, as its always been an issue for them that she reacts that way, regardless of the situation. So at least theres some support there, I guess. The history between DH and his mum is long and drawn out, so its just sad this is yet another unforgettable memory to add to the chain of disappointments. We''re going to try and leave contact for a few days because I think we need to cool down. *sigh* Families, hey?
20.gif

Not exactly what I feel in the mood for, especially feeling so positive and excited coming home from Christmas, but not much we can do about it!!! Just wait and see how it all pans out.

Sorry for the epic rant!!!!!!!! How are you going oobie? Check in if you can and let us know!!!!!

My scan is next Wed and the 1.5 drive to get there is going to be SO nerve wracking. Not to mention uncomfortable with a full badder haha. I just want it over with to know how we''re going, so we can move forward either way! My GP said it should be able to be done abdominally? Ill be 8w 5 days, anyone have any experience with this? Guess I need to attend to my bikini area either way, haha!
9.gif

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I had an abdominal u/s as early as 5 weeks, and we saw the sac. We saw the HB at the 7 weeks abdominal u/s.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
aqua~ Sorry the news didn''t go over so well with your ILs. But, sounds like your parents are delighted!! In my experience with early US, you still have your pants way down because your uterus is low, so yes, attend to the area!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
do you have to do the US with a full bladder? none of my first scans or any of the resulting ones needed to have full bladder thankfully. i would have been in torture.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
re prenatals: those things wrecked me! i didn''t poop for over a week and looked 4 months pregnant! i switched to flinstones plus folic and dha and gradually have felt better. i''m still a little constipated but my pants fit again.
2.gif

re ultrasound: for abdominal you need a full bladder and vaginal you need empty bladder. my tech told me to drink 32 ounces of water an hour before and don''t pee. i got through only 16 ounces a half hour before and had to go SUPER bad. she let me pee and i STILL had a full bladder. then, when we moved to the vaginal ultrasound, she had me pee. when she started the ultrasound she said my bladder was still full and she had me go a second then third time! generally, if you keep hydrated and don''t pee for an hour or so, you should be good...especially if it''s later in the day. first thing in the morning might require you to drink a little more to get full.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
puppmom~ Thank you. I think you''ve just discovered why I feel like I''m showing already! I haven''t pooped in days and feel so huge!! My pants fit but aren''t comfortable at all. The new prenatals don''t seem to be helping. I''ve taken a stool softener for 3 days and these new prenatals for 2 and still haven''t gone! Flintstones here i come!! btw- Do they have a fishy odor or taste???

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
aqua girl - I absolutely love the way you told your parents by writing them a letter from their future grandchild. at first I thought your in-laws reaction was weird, but then when you went on to explain regarding the financial situation (even though you say it''s actually ok), I can somewhat understand their concern. unfortunately, parents sometimes don''t give us the reactions we are looking for. when my SIL fell pregnant with her 4th child, my MIL asked her if she shouldn''t consider an abortion. of course it had nothing to do with her feelings to her grandchild, she was just worried that 4 was going to be much too handle. but also absolutely *not* something you''d expect out of your own mother''s mouth! I''m glad you''re cooling down and eventually they will warm up to the idea. good luck with the scan next week! hopefully you can share some nice photos with us.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats to the newly pregnant ladies!

I also never had to have a full bladder for any of my u/s. But I''ve heard it is more common to have a full bladder. I''m so glad I didn''t have to do that!

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewShiny, I hear ya! I was taking 3 colace a day and still nothing! About a week after switching to Flinstones I noticed an improvement. I''m still not great but I''ve heard that constipation during pregnancy in general is common. The Flinstones don''t taste fishy. They''re not delicious or anything but definitely tolerable. I''m taking just plain Flinstones - not Complete- that has too much iron.

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 93.32%; HEIGHT: 121px">Date: 12/30/2009 6:14:32 PM
Author: aqua_girl

My scan is next Wed and the 1.5 drive to get there is going to be SO nerve wracking. Not to mention uncomfortable with a full badder haha. I just want it over with to know how we''re going, so we can move forward either way! My GP said it should be able to be done abdominally? Ill be 8w 5 days, anyone have any experience with this? Guess I need to attend to my bikini area either way, haha!
9.gif
I have had a couple pelvic (aka vaginal) and abdominal U/S''s for non pregnancy issues. I have always had to drink at least 24 ounces of fluid one hour before my scans. They will do the abdominal scan first and after they do that, they will let you empty your bladder before they do the pelvic scan.

If you have a 1.5 hour car ride, I wouldn''t start to drink before you get into the car, but make sure you finish your fluids at least 45 minutes before you get there.

Good luck with the scan!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
is it wrong that i would tell them i drank water but wouldn''t? hehee. i didn''t have to have full bladder for any internal or external. in fact each time i go in they make me pee first! and i agree if you have a 1.5 hour drive, don''t drink before you go, maybe take the water and drink AS you go. i would die otherwise.

re: constipation... try the prune juice!! i know it''s gross but it totally works. and fiber like oatmeal or wheat grain pancakes along with prune juice helps too.
5.gif
but don''t drink too much, i just did a bit at a time and then would not have to wait too long. constipation and bloating DID get better for me after the first trimester though, thankfully.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies
35.gif

Re: prenatal vitamins- Dr. put me on Prenavite when starting TTC May 09 and really like them- dont feel constipated and they are really cheap too!! 3 month supply was $20. They also do make prenatal vitamins with stool softeners in them.

BTW- tomorrow I will be 4 weeks (yeaa!!!) and since getting KU earlier this wk have had morning sickness
14.gif
- I take a 1 hour train ride to work every morning and feel like Im gonna barf on everyone sitting next to me- I''ve actaully started carrying a barf bag with me...lol!! Anyone have any ideas on helping to curb morning sickness!?!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
lucy - can you bring little snacks on the train (like cookies or crackers) or maybe some hard candy to suck on? or do you not feel like eating at all?

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lucy, try ginger. I can''t stand the taste so I used ginger altoids (a wonderful friend bought me some). It didn''t completely solve the problem, but I did feel better. Also, I know several people who swear by the bands you can buy at the pharmacy; you wear them on your wrist I guess.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucy - There are a lot of ideas for dealing with morning sickness in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/looking-for-a-particular-m-s-candy.122480/

My question of the day: Has everyone had the H1N1 vaccine? I am still recovering from "the flu" from over a week ago. I still have a cold and cough. Not sure how H1N1 differs from the regular flu in terms of diagnosis. In any event, I hadn't pursued a regular flu shot or the H1N1 vaccine, but I think I will start looking into it today.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 11:38:21 AM
Author: Loves Vintage

My question of the day: Has everyone had the H1N1 vaccine? I am still recovering from 'the flu' from over a week ago. I still have a cold and cough. Not sure how H1N1 differs from the regular flu in terms of diagnosis. In any event, I hadn't pursued a regular flu shot or the H1N1 vaccine, but I think I will start looking into it today.
I had both the regular and H1N1 vaccines. I work with kids, and so am in the high exposure catergory. My husband has had two flus in the last three months and I didn't catch either one. I am really glad I made the choice to get it. I've heard most doctors have stopped testing for H1N1 specifically, they were treating all flus the same.

Edited: Because my comprehension of the issue doesn't make me qualified to explain it. In other words, I don't think what I wrote made much sense.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I have not had the H1N1 vaccine. I still have to talk to my doc to see if it''s a good idea. I was waiting until the end of the first tri so that if intervention was needed due to a reaction, I''d have more options. (I''ve had bad reactions to the regular flu shot both times I''ve had it)

Morning Sickness~ I just heard the other day that Lemon Drops help soothe MS. I was in a maternity store and they had these Preggie Pops. I asked what made them work and the lady said, "the sourness". She told me to get regular old Lemon Heads and try them. They seem to take the edge off however I can''t say definitively that they work because I''m finally feeling a bit better anyway.

I''ve always carried a barf bag with me and have had to use it in the car, while driving.
40.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 1:54:14 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I have not had the H1N1 vaccine. I still have to talk to my doc to see if it''s a good idea. I was waiting until the end of the first tri so that if intervention was needed due to a reaction, I''d have more options. (I''ve had bad reactions to the regular flu shot both times I''ve had it)

Morning Sickness~ I just heard the other day that Lemon Drops help soothe MS. I was in a maternity store and they had these Preggie Pops. I asked what made them work and the lady said, ''the sourness''. She told me to get regular old Lemon Heads and try them. They seem to take the edge off however I can''t say definitively that they work because I''m finally feeling a bit better anyway.

I''ve always carried a barf bag with me and have had to use it in the car, while driving.
40.gif

sounds like me! i had to have a tupperware in the car when i traveled anywhere at the beginning of my pregnancy! no fun :[

hot lemon water helped me as did chewing gum.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
re H1N1...i was really not interested in getting it. if i was not heading into my third tri (highest risk time) right around winter when everyone was sick around me, i would probably not have gotten it. but i got it and it was fine i guess. i just am not a fan of flu shots in general, i always let my body fight off what it needs to and am pretty healthy, but given the compromised immune system and 3rd tri...i figured it was better to get it than not.

i saw at our local walgreens that they have it available now, so i guess it''s more widespreadly avail? when i got it 2 months ago only preggos were able to get it and the hospitals were really short.

re: MS... i didn''t get mine til 8 weeks or so...but it was almost all day for about 7-9 weeks after that. i drank ginger milk tea from the asian markets a lot... and had TJ''s ginger chews but i don''t really LIKE ginger anyway, so i felt like half of that ginger stuff grossed me out. i found eating or drinking small amts of something, or drinking a coke really helped me when i felt sick at work. personally i think everyone has to find their own ''thing''... what works for others may not work for you depending on your taste buds.

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
thanks so much! definitely will try ginger and lemon drops

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I would say sucking on any kind of hard candy would work. I bought those b-natal hard candies and sucked on those and they helped a bit (I also did the preggo pops or whatever they are called).

I heard that ginger is good for nausea but I can''t stand the taste at all!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to post to say that I''m jumping over the the Preggo Thread. I''ll be stopping in here for a while but I''m not good at keeping up on many threads.

Good luck to all of you Barely Preggos and those yet to post! We know you''re out there!!! You and your beans are all in my prayers!!!

lucy.lucy.80

Shiny_Rock
somethingshiny- think you just passed your first trimester right?!? congrats!! wishing you a happy and healthy remainder of your pregnancy
1.gif

dcgator

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/3/2010 9:13:32 PM
Author: lucy.lucy.80
somethingshiny- think you just passed your first trimester right?!? congrats!! wishing you a happy and healthy remainder of your pregnancy
1.gif
Ditto to you somethingshiny, best of luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lucy - How did your train ride go this morning? Are you feeling better?

I had my bloodwork done this morning. Beta level was 27 at 12 DPIUI. Today is 16DPIUI. I''m hoping for a much higher number.

I am not feeling any symptoms at this point, and the worry is setting in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results