shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for a particular m/s candy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
So when one of my girlfriends was pregnant a couple years ago, she bought these little hard candies from a local shop that were salty on the outside, sweet on the inside. She said they worked wonders for her m/s, and to be honest, I am willing to try anything at this point. I am just miserable and can''t seem to find anything that makes it better, except sleep - and even then it sometimes wakes me up.

Any thoughts on what this little candy could be, and where to get it? I''ve looked at the maternity stores and not found any, but I''m willing to buy them online if I could only find them.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
AHHH monkey- I had no idea you were pregnant! A HUGE congrats!!!! I have no idea about the candy but I do know some say candied ginger helps and I think its available at most health food stores. Congrats again!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Are they Preggo pops/candy? If so they are available at Babies R Us.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
motherhood maternity has those preggos candy which helped me some, and I also lived on peppermint candy.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
anything sour helped me. lemonade and lemon yogurt. i grazed on apples a lot-i found that always having a little something in my tummy made it more bearable. i feel for you monkey-hopefully it goes away soon!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies - I hadn''t thought about Babies R'' Us. I''ll check there today.

I was teasing my husband this morning that if this is how pregnancy is going to be for me, then this may be an only child! Lol I can''t sneeze, cough, or bend over without gagging.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 11:46:31 AM
Author: MonkeyPie

I was teasing my husband this morning that if this is how pregnancy is going to be for me, then this may be an only child! Lol I can''t sneeze, cough, or bend over without gagging.
I told my husband the same thing yesterday... I spent all weekend on the couch
7.gif

Please let me know if you find something that works... so far pretzels and Ginger Ale are helping me. I took a few ginger capsules over the weekend but I noticed something on the label last night that said pregnant women shouldn''t take them without consulting a Dr. I''m going to ask about it...they did seem to help.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple and Monkey: The best thing ever is really try try try to keep something in your stomach AT ALL TIMES. Seriously, don''t even get out of bed in the morning before you eat some saltines or something. Even having something tiny in your stomach at all times really helped me a TON.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/10/2009 12:49:29 PM
Author: neatfreak
Apple and Monkey: The best thing ever is really try try try to keep something in your stomach AT ALL TIMES. Seriously, don''t even get out of bed in the morning before you eat some saltines or something. Even having something tiny in your stomach at all times really helped me a TON.

This was the first thing I tried. Saltines or toast before I even get up. It didn''t work
7.gif
Having my stomach full - like REALLY full - makes it less obnoxious, but it''s still there.

sbde

Brilliant_Rock
sorry you're dealing with this MP!! the first tri was definitely no fun for me either, and honestly, talk to your OB about it. i was put on zofran and it helped abate the nausea so i was able to eat healthy and just get through my day. it wasn't something that i wanted to do, but the morning sickness was just too much for me. i was unable to eat anything healthy or function at work, so i know where you're coming from. plus "morning" sickness was totally not the right term because it was all day sickness!!

i've seen the candy at motherhood maternity counters and at BRU. i hope the candy helps, but if not don't hesitate to bring it up at your next OB visit. good luck with the rest of your pregnancy - i hope it's smooth sailing for you once m/s passes :)

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
For me breathmints/candycanes helped, and also jolly ranchers/suckers. And eating a snack at least everyhour. I lived off 100 calorie packs for about 2 months. I couldn''t eat any more than that, but as long as I kept munching on them I was fine.

Good luck! It will get better!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MP, it'll still 'be there' regardless. Unfortunately that's just the part we have to deal with. Even if I was full or whatever I ate, I always felt like it was still there... that weird hangover, water on empty belly nausea feeling.

It's finite though so that helped me get past it mentally, like just thinking 'one day at a time'. And I feel SO much better now...last week really is when I started to feel much better (14 weeks) and this week it's even better.

My best suggestions:
--pepsi or coke... the syrup helps calm as does the carbonation eases some of the bubbles a bit. I am NOT A soda drinker at all but i had a coke or pepsi a day during the really bad days and would just sip it slowly.
--juices. apple or white grape were the best, but i would literally get up in the morning, walk immediately to the fridge, get the juice out and pour myself 8 oz. i'd drink it standing there within like 60 seconds of getting out of bed. putting something with a bit of sugar in my body immediately helped me so much... otherwise within like 2-3 minutes of standing up i would feel SO sick. then i would immediately eat a bowl of cereal within 5 minutes. it was a drag but again, finite period!

things like crackers or whatever didn't work that great for me. it was mostly the sugary liquids. i also got those ginger candies from trader joes that many women love. it's spicy on the outside and then soft and sweet inside. they worked for like 5 minutes, and i don't even like ginger so it made me feel nauseated just kind of eating it.

oh one other thing that worked GREAT for me was 'ginger milk tea'...i got it at the asian market and it was just ginger tea, powdered creamer, and brown sugar for sweetener. you mix the packet with hot water and it was so yummy and it worked really well on bad mornings.

my mom said when she was preggo with me she LOVED apple jolly ranchers. i always meant to try some but honestly when i was sick the last thing i wanted was to be like out shopping for FOOD so i never got them. but some people say sucking on the hard candies does help. also i had excess saliva due to nausea and heartburn which made me feel SICKER. it was really sucky. so i imagine hard candies would have helped with that too.

and as everyone else already said, just keep eating. once you find something that works, keep eating it. i know it's frustrating, but it's finite.
1.gif

applequeen, ginger is one of those things that is lobbied around like 'is it ok or isn't it'.... the jist i got was that ginger is a digestive aid so it can kind of mess with you if you consume too much (i noticed this actually), but that it also does help with nausea. the bottom line for me reading online was don't overconsume the ginger (as i think it also leads to contractions of the uterus which you want to avoid)...but it CAN help in small doses. i would only have like 1-2 candies a day or a drink a day (ginger tea). but i also have friends who ate the candies ALL DAY LONG as in like 10 candies a day, they felt so sick. so i guess it just depends on you and what you feel comfortable with. my friend also gave me ginger pills but i never ate them as i wasn't that bad.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone recommended Gin Gins or other ginger candy? My friend told me about it (unfortunately after the worst of my M/S and when I was already on Zofran), but the few times I used them they did seem to help. I used them as I was weaning myself off the Zofran at about 14 weeks. It may have been all in my head, but it was nice to know there was something I could take to help with the nausea when I was trying not to take my medicine any more.

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the B-Natal candy (I think that is what it was called) but I imagine that the jolly rancher idea would work also as it was the same kind of candy just a bit different. I also used preggie pops from Babies R Us. I also agree that grapes helped me out also. I was obsessed with grapes.

I had morning sickness from about 6 weeks to 17-18 weeks....so I was trying everything under the sun!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I used the preggie pops, but so many flavors were gross to me (too strong) like the lavender and the ginger surprisingly. I actually existed on Sour Patch kids, which was SO gross, but totally helped. Good luck!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all your suggestions ladies - I will be looking into some of them for sure!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Monkey, Hope you''re feeling better, but in case the yuckies are still coming at you, my mother-in-law had "queasy drops" while she was undergoing chemo. They have sugar-free and traditional. There are several flavor options, as well. I think they have sweet and sour packages, too. Maybe this is what your friend had. You can order them online. Just search for queasy drops. They come in a flat cylinder and are about $5.

My mother-in-law says they''re a total life saver!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock

Been there, done that...and he WAS an only child
9.gif
40.gif
9.gif

I just hope yours manages to go away after a few weeks. I puked the entire 9 months. I was even barfing in the labor room. I swear I''ve christened every gutter in Los Angeles. The best part? I developed GERD at age 31 from having spent almost a year regurgitating.

I tried everything short of pharmaceuticals, and nothing worked.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2009 5:47:58 PM
Author: purrfectpear

Been there, done that...and he WAS an only child
9.gif
40.gif
9.gif

I just hope yours manages to go away after a few weeks. I puked the entire 9 months. I was even barfing in the labor room. I swear I''ve christened every gutter in Los Angeles. The best part? I developed GERD at age 31 from having spent almost a year regurgitating.

I tried everything short of pharmaceuticals, and nothing worked.

Oh NO, that''s awful!
40.gif
I''m so sorry! My cousin was like that with all three of her kids, and I just can''t imagine it.

I''ve been sick, but have managed to hold my stomach in every time, so nothing has actually come back up. It tries, really hard - my jaw is sore at the end of the day from convulsing - but it stays in. I just hate fighting it all day! I REALLY hope it goes away in the 2nd trimester.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results