clarity

Just a Cool video about the Octavia Asscher

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Awesome video! The Octavia is a star (although that traditional asscher in the vid is making my heart beat, too, with those windmills).

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Great video of an amazing cut :love:
The asscher in the video is nice, too. But the Octavia has so much life.
An Octavia diamond in a "sizeable" carat weight, like Kenny's or DF's, is on my diamond bucket list.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. :love:
Gorgeous.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cool Video!
It does illustrate some of the optical properties nicely.
But there are ascpects I disagree with.
At about 1:30 the narrator states that traditional asscher has a straight pavilion- that is not correct. I don't recall ever seeing an asscher where the pavilion was a straight line from girdle to culet as is represented in the drawing on the video.
The angles of the pavilion themselves are not the main area where Yoram's amazing skill is showcased.
It's the total attention to detail on EVERY facet- which must correspond exactly to the other facets. That is part of the magic.
All asschers have the stepped bottom.
Although it's not the case in Octavia, in many cases the bulging pavilion hides weight, as opposed to costing weight , which is how the narrator describes it.

Just technical points, but given the incredible technical nature of the stone and the results, it's important.

PerkyPolly

Rough_Rock
Hi Kenny
Thanks for posting the video. Wow very interesting. I'd get nothing done all day if I owned one of those. I'd be looking at it far too much it was stunning. Wishlist material for sure!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not to criticize this vendor, but I noticed a couple other things in the video.
At the end he says JannPaul features the Octavia exclusively.
Not true, since other vendors sell them.

Next when explaining what makes so much fire he credits the high crown, but does not mention the Octavia's very small table.
Here are pics I took showing the side views of my generic asscher and my first Octavia.
Notice how small the table (the very top) is on the Octavia.
The drawing at the bottom is a screen capture from the above video.
Inaccurately, it shows the tables to be similar.

I invite KarlK to explain why/how, but I believe the small table is an important factor in the light performance.
I think the high crown combined with the small table help the diamond send out more fire and sparkle when the diamond is moved off axis ... IOW, to get a great light show you do not have to flip your wrist up and look straight down into the center of the diamond as much as you have to with a well-cut round.

screen_shot_2016-08-20_at_10.png

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes ... very cool vid but my thoughts exactly too David. I was thinking ... when have I ever seen a pavilion on an Asscher they way they're depicting? All good though and shows the diamond off nicely in various environments. I like the live BrillianceScope showing too in the spot lighting.

Rockdiamond|1471706480|4068078 said:
Cool Video!
It does illustrate some of the optical properties nicely.
But there are ascpects I disagree with.
At about 1:30 the narrator states that traditional asscher has a straight pavilion- that is not correct. I don't recall ever seeing an asscher where the pavilion was a straight line from girdle to culet as is represented in the drawing on the video.
The angles of the pavilion themselves are not the main area where Yoram's amazing skill is showcased.
It's the total attention to detail on EVERY facet- which must correspond exactly to the other facets. That is part of the magic.
All asschers have the stepped bottom.
Although it's not the case in Octavia, in many cases the bulging pavilion hides weight, as opposed to costing weight , which is how the narrator describes it.

Just technical points, but given the incredible technical nature of the stone and the results, it's important.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good points Ken.

kenny|1471714749|4068117 said:
Not to criticize this vendor, but I noticed a couple other things in the video.
At the end he says JannPaul features the Octavia exclusively.
Not true, since other vendors sell them.

He may have his Singapore audience in mind albeit you are correct.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Kenny -- your post about the Octavia's very small table reminded me of this great article by Karl K, the designer of the Octavia
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/one_consumer’s_journey_trade
It's a very interesting read, and describes some of the details of the Octavia design process and its "birth" as a cut stone, courtesy of Yoram (DiaGem). Those were fascinating times on PS.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results