shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Scope & AGS Scope help for a newbie ??

Shoney

Rough_Rock
Hello. Am going to be upgrading my engagement stone, and after lurking on PriceScope knew it might be helpful to run the specs on HCA. That done, I contacted the diamond retailer my husband wishes to use and he suggested 2 of the 9 stones. Looking at the Jewelry Scope and AGS Scope images he sent me were very confusing.
Not sure if I'm posting these right with the attachments.
Any feedback or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Option 1 pics are for: 1.20 J VVS1 HCA 1.4

Option 2 pics are for: 1.22 K VVS2 HCA 1.7

option_14.jpg

_38136.jpg

option_2_k.jpg

option_2ka.jpg

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why such high clarity? It's overkill. You could go up in color and/or size if you drop clarity a bit...

Shoney

Rough_Rock
I would rather go up in size, believe me.
On paper my original e-ring looks great - VS2, E color, Excellent Cut - but really it almost always looks dirty or smudged and the sparkle, such as it is, is limited to the center of the stone. Learned a couple things since then, and as hubby made it clear this would be our one and only upgrade, want to do it right.
In terms of the posted pics, do the images suggest lively diamonds or should I keep looking? Fortunately there is a return window should I not like the stone, but hoping to avoid that.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA excellent grade is very broad; it actually encompasses AGS grades 0-4 - maybe even 5.

Your current E VS stone should not look dingy, unless it actually is - have you cleaned it really well, including the pavilion? If so, and it still looks not bright, it is more likely to be caused by the angles not being complimentary to each other.

Out of curiosity, what are the stats? Table and depth percentage and crown and pavilion angles. Post them here and/or run them thru the HCA tool https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca.

I bet the look of your E VS has nothing to do with the color or clarity.

You will certainly notice a difference in color going from an E to a J or K. If you stay within ideal parameters (measurements) you could safely be looking at a bit larger VS1 to eye-clean SI1 stones in F-I color.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
I've had my e-ring professionally cleaned many times, and it still looks off to me. HCA score was 4.6 if I recall.
Love the warmer look of the JKL stones; have spent hours perusing pics online, which I know may not be the greatest representative of that color range. Saw a J in person and rather liked the antique look of the warmer color.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're good with a lower color then you will definitely be able to find something awesome. You can safely drop the clarity and go bigger. Your stone at a 4.6 HCA score is the reason you're not getting the most brightness, fire, and scintillation. VS1 stones are going to be completely eye clean and a very high percentage of VS2 will be, as well. Many SI1s are eye clean, and these can give you more bang for your buck.

What are the table and depth percentages and the crown and pavilion angles on the two you posted? I'm not an expert scope reader, and i think the red ones are hearts, not idealscope images. With no other info, only the scope pics, the second one looks better to me.

Let the people here help you look. What is your budget? For the stone only, or including the setting? Do you have a setting picked out or a certain style in mind?

Shoney

Rough_Rock
The first stone:
Depth: 59.1
Table: 60
Crown Angle: 32.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
It's a 1.2 J VVS1

The second stone:
Depth: 59.3
Table: 61
Crown Angle: 32.5
Pavilion Angle: 41
It's a 1.22 K VVS1

I had a couple stones on my list with lower clarity and closer to 1.5 carats, but the seller pointed me to these two. Having looked at videos of the stone, I do prefer the creamier warmth of the J over the more yellow tinge of the K.
On the forums I have seen dazzling stones in these ranges, and might be willing to go down to an M depending on the color. Have seen wonderful M's and P's. Don't mind the creamy/beige vanilla-type tones around the edges. Very charming in my opinion.
Looking for an upgrade stone for my engagement ring. 5-7k is roughly the budget.

Shoney

Rough_Rock
ac117 - thank you so much! Those antique stones are so warm and unique; love the personality!
Chipping would be a concern - thanks for pointing that out!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results