shape
carat
color
clarity

jewelry pet peeves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
gees, this whole touchy-touchy thing.....its like some people are little children that just can''t resist! I always tell my kids to "look with your eyes, not with your hands"......

This applies to glass or fine china items, other peoples'' babies....and now diamonds!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I have just thought of another one. Ladies dripping in yellow gold, thick neck chains, gate bracelets, huge earrings, big sovereign rings etc
14.gif
It just looks cheapo to me, no matter how much the gold cost. Also ginormous yellow gold cluster rings
32.gif
32.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Do the 4 princesses jammed together really collapse? I always wondered how they set those without chipping all the corners!

I had a friend who had a lovely princess solitaire and she always complained that her coworker, who had one of those cluster princesses used to boast that her ring was "1 carat." My friend''s is .93 carats but it''s one stone, not four .25 pointers. But she didn''t seem to get that 4 smaller diamonds cost way less than one larger stone.

So I guess it bugs me when people try to make others feel bad with their TCW size when it''s a bunch of smaller stones versus one large one. I just smile and look impressed. Tee hee!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, the four princess look doesn''t bug me personally. It''s just this one wearer who bugs me bc she makes my friend feel badly with her incorrect assumption!

When I see those cluster rings, I think it''s kind of sweet. I''m sure her hubby wanted to get her a big one but got her the second best thing he could afford. Maybe it''s a placeholder!
41.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s another one of mine:
Poople who wear heavy charm bracelets to the theater or classical music concerts. You can hear those clunkers at all the wrong moments!
29.gif

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
HAHA I Just got back from work, and now all I did this morning was look at jewelry, and cringed..
haha.
LOOK WHAT YOU DO TO ME!

anyways, i thought of something else, I HATE when people have a BEAUTIFUL ring, but wear an ugly different toned ring (i often see a cheap-o silver band worn with a beautiful yellow/white gold diamond ring..) i''m just like :O!

yes.. htats it for now!

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
OK, this is a reaction that peeves me. When you walk into a store and the counter lady stares at your ring then looks away in a hostile manner, kind of "sniffing" like she''s offended.

It''s usually the ones with cloudy stones set in YG. That always makes me feel like an unwilling participant in her mental catfight. I hate that.

Stink Pink

Rough_Rock
In KY, there is a style called "big top" or "dome" rings that basically is a cluster of cloudy round diamonds set in 10 kt to make it look like you have a big 5ct ROCK on your finger. Looks ridiculous. Another pet peeve of mine is when people wear rings on every finger. I know someone with a ton of jewels and she wears diamond rings on here left hand with her birthstone rings on her right hand. She take RHR to another level. It takes away from the beauty of each ring on their own.

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Just thought of another one. Daimond studs that ''droop''. They sell little plastic discs at Claire''s and Walmart to make them ''stand at attention''.
38.gif

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I cant stand when people ask to try on my ring...and it is really obnoxious when others ask what the tcw of my ring is- IT ISNT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Safety chains on watches--and broken ones to boot.
5.gif

cheers--Sharon

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does it make me strange that it doesn''t bother me when people ask how large my diamond is? I guess I chalk it up to curiousity because I wonder the same thing when I see other people''s rings (I just don''t verbalize it).

koko

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 10:34:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
Oh I have just thought of another one. Ladies dripping in yellow gold, thick neck chains, gate bracelets, huge earrings, big sovereign rings etc
14.gif
It just looks cheapo to me, no matter how much the gold cost. Also ginormous yellow gold cluster rings
32.gif
32.gif
Oh, yes Lorelei, I agree.....I think "Mr. T" & all those in the ''80''s who walked around dripping in YG & looking like they were wearing the entire jewelry counter were the ones responsible for the trend turning to Platinum & White Gold.....it just seemed to have a classier look after all that Yellow Gold dripping from NFL players, celebrities, etc.

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

All my pet peeves have been mentioned in other posts.

Something that hasn''t been mentioned yet is the male actors / music artist with their HUGE diamond studs. Just because you have money to buy these and show them off, it doesn''t mean you have class!
38.gif
38.gif

Come on - if you want to wear a huge diamond stud, at least get a setting that doesn''t make it droop!

Maya

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
I dunno -- the gigantic ice that rappers wear doesn''t bug me. It''s a hip hop culture thing.

Plus, I love seeing 5+ carat canary diamonds like Sean Jean sports! The ice rappers wear is top notch, so I don''t mind. If they were frozen milk, I might mind.
35.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry Bonds'' dangly cross earring always bugged the heck out of me!
9.gif
But, so did he!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2006 8:06:24 PM
Author: koko

Date: 3/25/2006 10:34:32 AM
Author: Lorelei
14.gif
32.gif
32.gif
Oh, yes Lorelei, I agree.....I think ''Mr. T'' & all those in the ''80''s who walked around dripping in YG & looking like they were wearing the entire jewelry counter were the ones responsible for the trend turning to Platinum & White Gold.....it just seemed to have a classier look after all that Yellow Gold dripping from NFL players, celebrities, etc.
Thats'' it exactly Koko - I always think Bee Gee, Mr T, Medallion Men etc - YUCK! you could well be right that they are the ones responsible for yellow gold''s bad reputation! I have to admit I do wear mostly yellow gold ( sorry Mara!
emembarrassed.gif
) but WG and platinum didn''t gain the popularity in the UK so I can get away with it - BUT I DO NOT WEAR ANYTHING CHUNKY !!!!!!!!! Also I can''t really wear WG otherwise I would have to resort to another of my pet peeves, mixing the colours!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just thought of another one
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif
14.gif

People who ask to try on your precious ring then shake their b#$%dy hand with it on and the ring nearly goes flying off
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

WHY do people have to do this??????? It doesn''t make it sparkle folks SO DON''T DO IT!

This is a very fast way for me to lose my temper, so I don''t let anyone try on my rings now
38.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 12:04:18 PM
Author: Julian

I had a friend who had a lovely princess solitaire and she always complained that her coworker, who had one of those cluster princesses used to boast that her ring was '1 carat.' My friend's is .93 carats but it's one stone, not four .25 pointers. But she didn't seem to get that 4 smaller diamonds cost way less than one larger stone.

So I guess it bugs me when people try to make others feel bad with their TCW size when it's a bunch of smaller stones versus one large one. I just smile and look impressed. Tee hee!

YES! I had an aquaintance who had one of those eighties multiple channel/baguette set numbers set in 14K gold, no center stone, just a bunch of smaller stones. She was proud because it was so unique and it had 7 rows of diamonds on each side, and it was ONE CARAT. When I got my SC J VS1 stone, and explained why we had gotten a "light carat" she went off about how she had a WHOLE CARAT (total weight). Her husband was there with her beaming. Of course, there is nothing I can say.
23.gif

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOMAO! I agree with these responses!

a gemstone ring with tiny included diamonds set around it, when the gemstone would look 100% better on it''s own

The second one not really pet peeve, but more makes me curious. Seeing a woman who otherwise is very much put together with her clothes, accessories, etc, but is wearing one of those cheesy diamond heart pendants. It always makes me think that her husband wanted to buy her something "really nice" for an anniversary but knew nothing about jewelry or her taste so buys this, but since this is one of the few pieces of jewelry he has bought for her she feels obligated to wear it.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2006 5:21:21 PM
Author: Dani
I cant stand when people ask to try on my ring...and it is really obnoxious when others ask what the tcw of my ring is- IT ISNT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS!!!
Ditto!! And it's also EXTREMELY obnoxious when people ask "how much did your ring cost?" It's soooo rude!! Why would I tell a complete stranger or acquaintance?
38.gif
For the record, I also think it's rude when family members ask me...it's none of their business!

Call me weird but I'll only let people try on my ring if *I* voluntarily ask else I say no
2.gif

ETA: But I sooooo don't mind PS people trying on my ring only because I know you guys take such good care of jewelry! Plus I love trying other people's stuff on!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2006 7:27:57 PM
Author: Shay37
Yes, when people think that looking at my diamond means touching its spotless table and leaving a big old fingerprint. It makes me want to hurt them.
29.gif

shay
SERIOUSLY! that is the absolute worst...

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Another one popped into my head. It''s more of a moral issue too I guess. But someone wearing a big diamond cross pendant and behaving in a less than Christian manner.
38.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2006 2:45:37 PM
Author: moon river
Another one popped into my head. It''s more of a moral issue too I guess. But someone wearing a big diamond cross pendant and behaving in a less than Christian manner.
38.gif
Yup. Live it and wear it, or don''t bother.

shay

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll let you try mine on if we ever have a CLT get together
12.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Date: 3/26/2006 10:15:07 AM
Author: Princess V
Date: 3/25/2006 5:21:21 PM
Call me weird but I'll only let people try on my ring if *I* voluntarily ask else I say no
2.gif

ETA: But I sooooo don't mind PS people trying on my ring only because I know you guys take such good care of jewelry! Plus I love trying other people's stuff on!

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
I think my jewelry pet peeve is probably people who have wedding bands that entirely DO NOT MATCH their erings in either shape, size, style, whatever. It just drives me nuts to see otherwise beautiful jewerly so badly paired!

Strangely it does not bother me if people ask to try on my rings, engagement or otherwise. When people ask about or look at my rings I usually just take them off and hand them to them before they ask. Sure, they dirty up my stuff but I just clean it off and it is okay.

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
Wow- I''m committing two of the biggest peeves to almost all of you! I have rings on each finger except my index, plus it''s silver on my right, gold on my left. They''ve been on my hands since before college- I feel naked without them! I''m still chuckling though.

Fortunately, they aren''t giant ''80s cluster pieces. My largest one is my class ring.

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
My biggest peeves are:

Guys who wear any jewelry of any color on any part of their body unless it''s a w-ring or watch!
Girls who wear a more than 1 ring per hand.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I agree with others above - if I do not know you, do not ask to wear my ring. Although, I have let friends try my ring on.

I also hate to see big, chunky diamond rings on every finger. (One of my friends has a gorgeous 4.5ct engagement ring, and she wears 3 very large diamond eternity rings on the SAME finger. It takes away from that yummy stone.)

DO NOT ask me how much my husband paid for my ring.

ETA - I can't stand it when men wear HUGE diamond earrings. Ugh. I think it's obnoxious!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t read all of the posts but has anyone mentioned those huge gold Omega necklaces from about 10+ years ago? I was in college at the time and REALLY wanted one...thank goodness I never wasted my $$ on that!

Totally agree with the 80''s gold baguette-swirled rings. My mom''s marquise e-ring is still reminiscent of that style (although she relented when I INSISTED she put it in white gold, at least). I''m dying to put her marquise in an east-west setting a la Jazmine!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results