shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry pet peeves!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is something that I cannot stand! Dirty jewellery! I has a lady work for me who wore filthy jewelley.I saw behind her ear once at the filth encrusted in her earring backs.....ugh!!! I cannot see the point of putting on clean fresh clothes & then reaching for dirty,greasy jewellery as your accessory! It actually disgusts me:sick:

Yip me too
its gross
Ive seen some shockers over the years

In that vain white saphires make me sad because people do not clean them enough

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lobster claws - i know i have to get over it because they are so safe for mum's pearls

trying to do up bracletes

as already mentioned dirty jewlery

ugly gallaries (i have at least 2) im gallary obsessed

I feel bad about the next one - i try to always always love someone else's pretty - but im just not into halos
but hay - i came around to pave so who knows :lol-2:

Not enough yellow gold ! I love yellow gold - its the colour of gold !

Skinny bands - they leave me cold wheather they are plain or covered in diamonds
i like a wide yellow band

Minimilist jewlery (especially on Queens and princess )

Too Matchy matchy anything

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh goodness I agree. I knew someone with hair and crud stuck all around her screw back earrings because she never took them off. Ugh!

This thread is both funny and gross
But honestly who wants souds growing behind their ears
Hasn't her husband noticed the smell

am i allowed another pet peeve ?

Snobery around silver jewlery and also turquoise

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It irks me when proportions and symmetry are off such as itty bitty side stones in a 3-stone ring with a large center stone.
Stones that are set crooked.
A wide range of clarity and color in multi-stone bands that are often seen in cheaply made pieces.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
"Heart" shaped diamonds that are really made up of smaller stones instead of 1 actual heart.
Idk why but it irks me. Either be a real heart or be some other shape but don't pretend lol.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Heart" shaped diamonds that are really made up of smaller stones instead of 1 actual heart.
Idk why but it irks me. Either be a real heart or be some other shape but don't pretend lol.
Hmmmmm that's an interesting one ive never thought of before ...not being much of a heart wearer myself but I shell now be keeping my eyes out :mrgreen2:

A big one for me
inherited jewlery and all the recipient is interested in is the worth $$$ not the sentiment, i find this in pearls especially and i love everyone's nanna's pearls - even fake ones
Take grandma's bling out for lunch - don't leave her unloved in a drawer !

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Wow I think we have covered almost everything that I like and dislike :)
The only thing I can add is diamonds that are set super high! I dislike that, don't need pictures to explain :razz:

I don't like to feel a ring between my fingers.
I don't like it when my ring spins and the stone ends up on the palm side.
I can't appreciate halos with an air line.
I also can't appreciate Journey pendants.
Agree on Journey pendants, not really my style. But we’re complete opposites on the airline - I vastly prefer an airline to no airline! I don’t like how halos blend into the centre stone.

My biggest pet peeve is I can’t get every piece I drool over. ;(

#endthread. Couldn’t play devil’s advocate here even if I wanted to :D

I find those huge huge hoop earrings very unsettling. I can only think about how easily they would catch on something and be ripped out.
i also dislike ring stacking. My Gran used to wear all the rings she owned crammed onto her fingers all at once and they always looked like a big mismatched lump.
I also don’t like cheap Costume jewellery pretending to be something it’s not, beside I can’t wear it, nickel causes a huge allergic reaction on me.

I’m also not a fan of stacking rings! I’ve agreed to do ering and WB on the same finger because my SO wants me to do a separate band, but honestly I’d have been fine and happy with just one. I’m also not a fan of huge hoops - somehow they always look casual to me and I’m not someone who dresses casual often

Necklaces that are too heavy

Rings that are too thick or poke the sides of neighboring fingers

Rings worn while making food, grosses me out think meatloaf and things like that

I love ring stacks on others but on me it just pushes up the finger pudge even if they fit correctly

Toe rings, just don't think jewelry on feet is cute

Prongs that are worn down or missing, this is more of a shopping thing but when I see no prong or prongs not holding the stone correctly it makes me crazy, how can you even sell a ring in that condition with a clear conscience?

Ugh you’re so right with the “cooking with rings on”! I see it a lot with cooking shows people still have their rings on and it makes me want to scream at the TV!

Frozen spit diamonds in a circle or square that’s supposed to look like one diamond.
Half eternities. I have quite a few and they need to be fixed all the time. Frustrating..
Emerald cut diamonds that have round diamond halos that are really large.
Busy settings...Too much stuff going on..

agreed on disliking busy settings. I also in general dislike halos with emerald cuts at least for rings.

Link or chain style bracelets that always turn clasp side up.

Pendants that fall into your cleavage.
It looked good on Liz Taylor, but not on me!

@stracci2000, if my necklace fell in my cleavage they would need a search and rescue team to find it :lol:

:lol::lol: So freaking true about the length of necklaces and pendants! I’m similar to YadaYadaYada in that if a pendant goes into my cleavage it would be an Indiana Jones style expedition to get it out. So I only wear necklaces and pendants that either end above the cleavage point, or are long enough that they clear the bust.

Lobster clasps on necklaces are my favourite clasp but I hate how they travel and end up at the front and I have to keep fixing it throughout the day. And pendants or necklaces that flip and don't lie flat. Argh!!

I'm also not big on pointy claws that look like talons.

I’ve given up on fixing the clasp - if it shows, it shows. Flipping still drives me a bit batty, but I’m working on letting that go as well haha.

Lobster claws - i know i have to get over it because they are so safe for mum's pearls

trying to do up bracletes

as already mentioned dirty jewlery

ugly gallaries (i have at least 2) im gallary obsessed

I feel bad about the next one - i try to always always love someone else's pretty - but im just not into halos
but hay - i came around to pave so who knows :lol-2:

Not enough yellow gold ! I love yellow gold - its the colour of gold !

Skinny bands - they leave me cold wheather they are plain or covered in diamonds
i like a wide yellow band

Minimilist jewlery (especially on Queens and princess )

Too Matchy matchy anything

This thread is both funny and gross
But honestly who wants souds growing behind their ears
Hasn't her husband noticed the smell

am i allowed another pet peeve ?

Snobery around silver jewlery and also turquoise

When i brought something at the mall and now know its too dark or has a big window :(2

Hmmmmm that's an interesting one ive never thought of before ...not being much of a heart wearer myself but I shell now be keeping my eyes out :mrgreen2:

A big one for me
inherited jewlery and all the recipient is interested in is the worth $$$ not the sentiment, i find this in pearls especially and i love everyone's nanna's pearls - even fake ones
Take grandma's bling out for lunch - don't leave her unloved in a drawer !

What are your thoughts on rose gold?

we are in complete agreement when it comes to minimalist jewelry - I hate it, especially on royalty! I feel like saying “oh come on! You’re literally a princess! Would it kill you to wear some big rocks you definitely possess / can afford around??”

Also, I personally love turquoise so I don’t know why people are snobby about it! Turquoise can be pretty pricey too! I also believe in enjoying inherited bling but I feel like you should totally make it your own instead of letting it languish in a drawer. So if you have to reset it or something it’s worth it if you’ll wear it.

Also, once you’ve bought something I feel like you should make your peace with it’s imperfections - if you loved it when you bought it you should enjoy it with a clear mind (unless it’s within the return period). So don’t feel bad about your mall jewelry :)

HI:

Tight fitting rings. Ugh.

cheers--Sharon

+1! also, tight fitting rings are a health hazard if you can’t get them off! They can cut off your circulation!

It irks me when proportions and symmetry are off such as itty bitty side stones in a 3-stone ring with a large center stone.
Stones that are set crooked.
A wide range of clarity and color in multi-stone bands that are often seen in cheaply made pieces.

crooked settings drive me nuts as well! But in terms of symmetry in 3stones I’m kind of the opposite - I don’t like it when the side stones are too close in size with the centre. I also vastly prefer when the centre is a different shape to the sides

lol @ don’t pretend! Though I think illusion settings when done well look good. People like them because it’s more size for cheaper I guess!

Wow I think we have covered almost everything that I like and dislike :)
The only thing I can add is diamonds that are set super high! I dislike that, don't need pictures to explain :razz:

High settings are a hazard! Always feel like one good knock and it’s all going to end in tears.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are your thoughts on rose gold?

we are in complete agreement when it comes to minimalist jewelry - I hate it, especially on royalty! I feel like saying “oh come on! You’re literally a princess! Would it kill you to wear some big rocks you definitely possess / can afford around??”

Also, I personally love turquoise so I don’t know why people are snobby about it! Turquoise can be pretty pricey too! I also believe in enjoying inherited bling but I feel like you should totally make it your own instead of letting it languish in a drawer. So if you have to reset it or something it’s worth it if you’ll wear it.

Also, once you’ve bought something I feel like you should make your peace with it’s imperfections - if you loved it when you bought it you should enjoy it with a clear mind (unless it’s within the return period). So don’t feel bad about your mall jewelry :)

Thank you allaboardtheblingtrain =)2

I follow Calla Gold's blog - she is always saying wear it ! Don't warehouse it and is big into repurposing inherited jewlery, she is quite inspiring
You know i was taking a nap before and i was thinking i got to make piece with a couple of pieces i used to adore, regarding their imperfections- i mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if i can love a $30 strand of dyed blue pearls that are chipped and a bit huckery i should be able to rekindle my love through a window !! And even though something came from the mall jewlery it still cost good money

Have you seen Princess Charlene in the last few days ?
Im afraid she is one im always given a raised eyebrow to at her lack of jewlery when she actually wears very contemporary non tradional pieces very well (im not sure what sub forum we are in so ill just post a link not a picture) - but this made me sooooo happy

Rose gold :appl:
I never used to like it
...then i tried some on !
And i have a Smokey quarts pendent in rose gold that would look awful in yellow gold
Never say never i guess

And im so glad turquoise has another fan !

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earrings that don’t sit on the ears correctly, and piercings that have been stretched by heavy or thick earrings.

I’m not crazy about gauges either, but that’s a different matter entirely.

Thank you allaboardtheblingtrain =)2

I follow Calla Gold's blog - she is always saying wear it ! Don't warehouse it and is big into repurposing inherited jewlery, she is quite inspiring
You know i was taking a nap before and i was thinking i got to make piece with a couple of pieces i used to adore, regarding their imperfections- i mean beauty is in the eye of the beholder and if i can love a $30 strand of dyed blue pearls that are chipped and a bit huckery i should be able to rekindle my love through a window !! And even though something came from the mall jewlery it still cost good money

Have you seen Princess Charlene in the last few days ?
Im afraid she is one im always given a raised eyebrow to at her lack of jewlery when she actually wears very contemporary non tradional pieces very well (im not sure what sub forum we are in so ill just post a link not a picture) - but this made me sooooo happy

Rose gold :appl:
I never used to like it
...then i tried some on !
And i have a Smokey quarts pendent in rose gold that would look awful in yellow gold
Never say never i guess

And im so glad turquoise has another fan !

Totally agree on wearing > warehousing! I mean if the piece can’t really be reused then I can see the sense in liquidating it if it’s of significant value and then putting the proceeds towards a piece that you’ll actually wear, but otherwise I’m a big believer in “do what you have to do in order to make it wearable”. I have a funny story about this actually with a close friend. When she was married she was given a necklace by her in laws that was totally not to her style (and the uncharitable part of me would add: not to anyone’s style). She wore it once or twice around her in laws and then had the entire thing remade according to her own style. The necklace didn’t look anything like what she’d started with and she ended up making it look really pretty and wearable at minimal cost to her own self. When she wore the refurbished piece around her in-laws her mother in law actually went into raptures and asked her where she’d bought it! Luckily she laughed and just told her she was in need of her services when my friend revealed it was a refurbished version of the mother in law’s gift :D
Earrings that don’t sit on the ears correctly, and piercings that have been stretched by heavy or thick earrings.

I’m not crazy about gauges either, but that’s a different matter entirely.

stretching my piercings out is actually a huge fear of mine, I love big earrings but I’m afraid of ruining my ears in an attempt to wear them!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the competition between my AVC and the brilliant cut rounds and marquise in my ring. The differing scintillation between the two types of cuts seems inharmonious to me now. Hence, a redesign is commencing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't like the competition between my AVC and the brilliant cut rounds and marquise in my ring. The differing scintillation between the two types of cuts seems inharmonious to me now. Hence, a redesign is commencing.

Well redesigns are always great threads to follow =)2

Excited to see what you come up with!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally agree on wearing > warehousing! I mean if the piece can’t really be reused then I can see the sense in liquidating it if it’s of significant value and then putting the proceeds towards a piece that you’ll actually wear, but otherwise I’m a big believer in “do what you have to do in order to make it wearable”. I have a funny story about this actually with a close friend. When she was married she was given a necklace by her in laws that was totally not to her style (and the uncharitable part of me would add: not to anyone’s style). She wore it once or twice around her in laws and then had the entire thing remade according to her own style. The necklace didn’t look anything like what she’d started with and she ended up making it look really pretty and wearable at minimal cost to her own self. When she wore the refurbished piece around her in-laws her mother in law actually went into raptures and asked her where she’d bought it! Luckily she laughed and just told her she was in need of her services when my friend revealed it was a refurbished version of the mother in law’s gift :D

stretching my piercings out is actually a huge fear of mine, I love big earrings but I’m afraid of ruining my ears in an attempt to wear them!

That's really cool her MIL loved it
much better than in sitting in a drawer not being used except for obligation

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No to busy/fussy settings.
No to wearing rings except a plain wedding band when cooking, and no nail vanish too.
No to wearing a matching set of jewellery unless they are parures worn by royalties at state functions.
No to dirty jewellery.
No to a ring on every finger.
No to illusion settings or settings made up of small stones to give the impression of a larger stone in rings.

But hey, each to their own!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People who talk about their rings as x carats when they are clusters made up of y number of small diamonds.

They are usually boastful people that I do not like.

No to busy/fussy settings.
No to wearing rings except a plain wedding band when cooking, and no nail vanish too.
No to wearing a matching set of jewellery unless they are parures worn by royalties at state functions.
No to dirty jewellery.
No to a ring on every finger.
No to illusion settings or settings made up of small stones to give the impression of a larger stone in rings.

But hey, each to their own!

People who talk about their rings as x carats when they are clusters made up of y number of small diamonds.

They are usually boastful people that I do not like.

I agree with the ring on every finger and I’ll generalise to pinky and thumb rings. They look ludicrous on me. Index, middle and ring are fair game though I wouldn’t wear a ring on all 3. Either one of the three or at most index+ring or middle+ring. I do however like matching sets sometimes (depends on how matchy matchy we’re talking). Illusion settings can sometimes look really nice in my opinion, though! Depends on how they’re made. I know someone who has a huge illusion set Marquis cocktail ring that looks amazing on her. Def agree on your last point about mentioning tctw vs ct of the centre stone - it’s alright if you do both, but otherwise seems a bit show-offy unless you specify. Though it doesn’t really bother me unless they’re using it to be obnoxious in some way (such as putting down another person).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results