shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry pet peeves!

Just a fun, lighthearted thread about your own personal “jewelry pet peeves”. Could be a style you dislike, or an aspect of a certain piece that drives you up the wall, or a general aesthetic that bugs you. To all other readers and posters of the thread - this isn’t meant to offend, just to be something fun to read and discuss with other enthusiasts! :D

I’ll name some of mine:

1) DBTY style necklaces or bracelets - I am super sensitive to the feeling of the culet on my skin and it drives me crazy! I can’t wear DBTYs for that reason.

2) layering (especially necklaces or pendants) - the few times I’ve done it I always manage to get the clasps/chains tangled up in each other and it just looks messy and that drives me insane. I have seen this done well, but to me it’s one of those things that looks great in a picture but usually not so much 20 mins later when all your chains are tangled up tighter than your earphone wires.

3) melee that’s just slightly different in color than the center stone in a halo - don’t get me wrong, I love a good contrast, but it personally drives me nuts when the difference is just enough to be noticeable but not enough to look deliberate. I’m sure no one really notices this in real life - I literally never have and I’m sure other people are walking around with mismatched colors - but I always notice on my own self and it drives me batty. I’m not very color sensitive so a small difference likely wouldn’t bug me, but something like D-E melee and H-I center stone would just do my head in.

So tell me yours!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spring ring clasps on necklaces that keep catching your hair.
Top heavy rings that keep spinning.
Stones that you have to keep super clean or they look cloudy, like blue topaz, white sapphire or citrine.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
High settings
Claws or prongs for the main stone
More than one halo
Paved shanks
Split shanks
Thin shanks
Millgrains
Small lobster clasp

DK :))

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Non-eternity stone bands that spin on me constantly. Only eternities for me now. Live and learn.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my pet peeves on me that reveal all kinds of contradictions
1.love-hate relationship with stacking! Love the idea or the look on others— but on me—it feels distracting
2. Matchy matchy bands—hate the idea that my set might look to perfect!
3. I love round diamonds but I hate how finite the tight circular view is so I hate looking at my stone in a solitaire
4. When my diamond band pave color doesn’t match my ering’s
5. The feel of pinky, thumb or index rings—even though they look fabulous on everyone else

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
Feeling the ring between your fingers!!! Meaning it's too wide of a height. I returned my first ering because of that lol! The band got thicker between my fingers as it went up to the diamond. It was a 6 prong solitaire.
Next is scratchy diamonds between the fingers! Can't deal!

I'm receiving my first diamond eternity tomorrow so hopefully I love it and no scratches! I'm definitely sensitive with how jewelry feels.

Made in London

Brilliant_Rock
This is something that I cannot stand! Dirty jewellery! I has a lady work for me who wore filthy jewelley.I saw behind her ear once at the filth encrusted in her earring backs.....ugh!!! I cannot see the point of putting on clean fresh clothes & then reaching for dirty,greasy jewellery as your accessory! It actually disgusts me:sick:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Snake chains. All they do is pull your hair out.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
I don't like lots of necklaces or earrings worn at once, unless carefully coordinated to look like they belong together; mixed metal colors; small rings (aside from bands); too small or too large and chunky jewelry; leather or other materials besides metal and stones; most things that are trendy; split shanks; hearts, butterflies, jewelry that spells out words (besides someone's initials or name).

Last edited:
Bezels

Absolute no no no for me!!! I just do not see the appeal. It just looks clunky.

Very very very rarely does it look decent to me.

I’m with you on bezels! I like them sometimes, if they’re very delicate and milgrained for example, but otherwise no. I think DBTYs can look nice and delicate, but then they’re uncomfortable. I also like substantial bling and somehow DBTYs don’t do it for me though I like them on others :)

Spring ring clasps on necklaces that keep catching your hair.
Top heavy rings that keep spinning.
Stones that you have to keep super clean or they look cloudy, like blue topaz, white sapphire or citrine.

High settings
Claws or prongs for the main stone
More than one halo
Paved shanks
Split shanks
Thin shanks
Millgrains
Small lobster clasp

DK :))

Snake chains. All they do is pull your hair out.

I completely forgot about clasps and chains that yank your hair out! Also clasps that are a pain to put on and remove - I’ll add lobster clasps for bracelets to my list of pet peeves. Also, bracelets (or any jewelry) you can’t remove are high on my list of things that drive me nuts. I can’t sleep with any jewelry at all and not having the freedom to change things around would drive me crazy.

@dk168 what’s funny to me is that your list of pet peeves is pretty in line with things I like, haha! I like claw prongs and prong settings in general, I love thin shanks and the only way I like a bezel (most of the time) is with milgrain. I also like double halos on rings if they’re nicely proportioned! I guess that’s what makes jewelry interesting in a way - one woman’s treasure is another’s poison :D

@stracci2000 this is going to sound ridiculous but I kind of like top heavy rings! :D I don’t know why but when a ring lists dangerously to one side I feel like it makes my finger look thinner. So I don’t like how it looks particularly but I do like how it feels :D

Non-eternity stone bands that spin on me constantly. Only eternities for me now. Live and learn.

I’ve actually never worn a partial eternity before for any real length of time, so I have no idea on how the spinning works. But the thing that bothers me (mentally) about eternities is the stones on the bottom. I keep thinking about how they must be getting dirty and smeared :doh:I still want one though, eventually! :D

These are my pet peeves on me that reveal all kinds of contradictions
1.love-hate relationship with stacking! Love the idea or the look on others— but on me—it feels distracting
2. Matchy matchy bands—hate the idea that my set might look to perfect!
3. I love round diamonds but I hate how finite the tight circular view is so I hate looking at my stone in a solitaire
4. When my diamond band pave color doesn’t match my ering’s
5. The feel of pinky, thumb or index rings—even though they look fabulous on everyone else

Hate to break it to you nala but your ering is pretty damn perfect ;-) we hold opposing views where it comes to solitaire settings - those are my favs - but we’re in total agreement on mismatched pave! If I notice it - doesn’t happen always - it drives me nuts!

Feeling the ring between your fingers!!! Meaning it's too wide of a height. I returned my first ering because of that lol! The band got thicker between my fingers as it went up to the diamond. It was a 6 prong solitaire.
Next is scratchy diamonds between the fingers! Can't deal!

I'm receiving my first diamond eternity tomorrow so hopefully I love it and no scratches! I'm definitely sensitive with how jewelry feels.

I’ve never felt any ring between my fingers - have weird splayed out fingers - so I can’t really relate! But my mom is super sensitive to the feeling as well. I wonder if it was a smooth thick band (as opposed to studded with diamonds hence scratchy) whether it would bother you. Hope you enjoy your eternity!

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Fitted bracelets and watches. I only like loose bracelets.
Something snug on my wrist is as annoying as a turtleneck for me.
I get uncomfortable just looking at the Cartier Love bracelet.

Also don't personally wear wide band rings---super uncomfortable to me.
I also could never wear a ring on anything other than my ring finger of each hand--just feels weird and I don't like the look for me. Too cluttered maybe?

Statement style necklaces---just too big. No longer than 18" necklaces because they get in the way and don't hang right on my body.

This is something that I cannot stand! Dirty jewellery! I has a lady work for me who wore filthy jewelley.I saw behind her ear once at the filth encrusted in her earring backs.....ugh!!! I cannot see the point of putting on clean fresh clothes & then reaching for dirty,greasy jewellery as your accessory! It actually disgusts me:sick:

Dirty jewelry is the worst! I can understand if there’s some smudges or something because diamonds attract dirt like crazy, but visible dirt is gross. Maybe she doesn’t take off her jewelry? Can’t imagine someone putting on pieces with visible dirt otherwise.

Bracelets. Love the way they look but after wearing them for a minute I think "get this thing off me."

bracelets are a pain if you’re trying to type for sure!

I don't like lots of necklaces or earrings worn at once, unless carefully coordinated to look like they belong together; mixed metal colors; small rings (aside from bands); too small or too large and chunky jewelry; leather or other materials besides metal and stones; most things that are trendy; split shanks; hearts, butterflies, jewelry that spells out words (besides someone's initials or name).

Definitely going to agree on word jewelry, and neck/wrist “messes”! I actually don’t like initial jewelry either - at least on myself. I’m unlikely to forget what my name begins with lol.

Fitted bracelets and watches. I only like loose bracelets.
Something snug on my wrist is as annoying as a turtleneck for me.
I get uncomfortable just looking at the Cartier Love bracelet.

Also don't personally wear wide band rings---super uncomfortable to me.
I also could never wear a ring on anything other than my ring finger of each hand--just feels weird and I don't like the look for me. Too cluttered maybe?

Statement style necklaces---just too big. No longer than 18" necklaces because they get in the way and don't hang right on my body.

we’re super different! I find that quite interesting/amusing. I get irritated with bracelets and watches that are too loose (a bit is fine, but I don’t like them moving around). I don’t wear a lot of necklaces but when I do I’ve worn them at the 30-35inch length as well :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty diamonds.
Diamonds with lifeless cut.
4 tiny princesses set to look like one large one.
DBTY, impossible to keep clean since the diamonds are constantly touching skin - same with eternity bands.

Not a fan of staking or halos.

To me diamonds are all about the light show that only diamond can deliver - but to each their own.

Dirty diamonds.
Diamonds with lifeless cut.
4 tiny princesses set to look like one large one.
DBTY, impossible to keep clean since the diamonds are constantly touching skin - same with eternity bands.

Not a fan of staking or halos.

To me diamonds are all about the light show that only diamond can deliver - but to each their own.

Definitely in agreement with disliking dirty diamonds but I have to confess that I’m not the best at keeping my pieces clean... I do give them a clean up once every few wears though!

I will say that the 4 princesses set to look like a large princess can look really tacky, but also sometimes illusion setting (if you can call it that?) can be done really well and cleverly. I’ve seen it done in a super classic and elegant manner with marquises, rounds and emerald cuts myself, but I think it can also be done with pears and possibly ovals.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I don't like to feel a ring between my fingers.
I don't like it when my ring spins and the stone ends up on the palm side.
I can't appreciate halos with an air line.
I also can't appreciate Journey pendants.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My biggest pet peeve is I can’t get every piece I drool over. ;(

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find those huge huge hoop earrings very unsettling. I can only think about how easily they would catch on something and be ripped out.
i also dislike ring stacking. My Gran used to wear all the rings she owned crammed onto her fingers all at once and they always looked like a big mismatched lump.
I also don’t like cheap Costume jewellery pretending to be something it’s not, beside I can’t wear it, nickel causes a huge allergic reaction on me.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Necklaces that are too heavy

Rings that are too thick or poke the sides of neighboring fingers

Rings worn while making food, grosses me out think meatloaf and things like that

I love ring stacks on others but on me it just pushes up the finger pudge even if they fit correctly

Toe rings, just don't think jewelry on feet is cute

Prongs that are worn down or missing, this is more of a shopping thing but when I see no prong or prongs not holding the stone correctly it makes me crazy, how can you even sell a ring in that condition with a clear conscience?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Frozen spit diamonds in a circle or square that’s supposed to look like one diamond.
Half eternities. I have quite a few and they need to be fixed all the time. Frustrating..
Emerald cut diamonds that have round diamond halos that are really large.
Busy settings...Too much stuff going on..

Elizabeth35

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely going to agree on word jewelry, and neck/wrist “messes”! I actually don’t like initial jewelry either - at least on myself. I’m unlikely to forget what my name begins with lol.

we’re super different! I find that quite interesting/amusing. I get irritated with bracelets and watches that are too loose (a bit is fine, but I don’t like them moving around). I don’t wear a lot of necklaces but when I do I’ve worn them at the 30-35inch length as well :D

Lol--so funny that we find such different things annoying. The long necklaces---I am short and not flat-chested, so longer necklaces are dangling in the air at the bottom, and not really proportionate. Too easy to catch on things--like standing up at a desk or table.

I admire the snug bracelets and watches---just find them uncomfortable to me.
So good for you folks that can enjoy the watches!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link or chain style bracelets that always turn clasp side up.

Pendants that fall into your cleavage.
It looked good on Liz Taylor, but not on me!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Oh goodness I agree. I knew someone with hair and crud stuck all around her screw back earrings because she never took them off. Ugh!

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
Bracelets. Love the way they look but after wearing them for a minute I think "get this thing off me."

I was just getting ready to make a similar reply. I think bracelets look lovely and feminine on others, but they drive me crazy.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Lobster clasps on necklaces are my favourite clasp but I hate how they travel and end up at the front and I have to keep fixing it throughout the day. And pendants or necklaces that flip and don't lie flat. Argh!!

I'm also not big on pointy claws that look like talons.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results