shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Pet Peeves?

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Being too sleepy to handle a trip to Jeweler's Row, even when right in Philly.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Steal said:
MC said:
Rae~ said:
I am also a little disturbed to see the "men shouldn't wear any jewellery" comments.... I know this is a thread for venting on stuff that peeves us, but really? That seems a little more extreme than the "I don't like dirty jewellery" or "Tight rings make me cringe" comments. I could understand saying that you dislike a LOT of jewellery on men, but dictating what your DH is and isn't "permitted" to wear? Yikes, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps your DH is happy to bend to your rules, or perhaps you just got lucky and found someone whose preference matched your own... who knows.

P.S. - I can see the contradiction in my saying that one aesthetic - ie men with some jewellery - is not open to criticism, but yet other aesthetics - eg multiple non-stacker rings on one finger - can be criticised. I guess it's the "gender-specificness" of the first criteria that riles me.

Iamdanny - wear whatever the hell you want. :Up_to_something:

I'd like to think that those posters were just clumsy in their turn of phrase.

Well so it's not okay for me to say what I did, but others can complain about people having "sausage" fingers without critisism? Doesn't that extend into the realm of commenting on a persons chubby hands? Seems that's rude.

I guess talking crap about friends and co-workers and friends is okay???

Talk about a storm in a tea-cup. How did a little pet-peeve turn into all of this? Surely MC/MB are entitled to post what she posts? I don't see anything sexist, racist or any other kind of -ist there. It makes me sad to see a posters view whipped in the blink of an eye into something far greater than what was written. Wouldn't it be nicer not to attack another point of view, just because it could be read in a certain light - if you squint really hard?

And as for men with jewellery, it isn't really done here so I can't comment other than to say I would find it unusual to see a man with earrings and chains...but I would love to get a wb with a cute little asscher for DH some day :love:

Oh please. Someone on a jewelry board to which women and men make contributions everyday says it's their pet peeve if men wear anything else other than a wedding band. Yeah, someone has the right to say something like that, and the rest of us the right to respond.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
reader said:
I remember going to Mt. Vernon and seeing Martha Washington's "keeper ring" a band of diamonds meant to 'protect the more precious wedding band' by being worn on the outside of the wedding ring. Perhaps this, and Queen Charlotte's 1761 keeper band, is the reason behind the view that the engagement ring should be worn on top of the wedding band.

Ah, ok. I guess thats traditionally where it comes from. I still wonder though why people are so adamant about wearing it one way on another and why wearing the e-ring "closer to the heart" would be a pet peeve. To me it just seems like personal preferance and sometimes more practical to wear the w-band on the "outside" to help protect the e-ring from falling off? But then again, properly sized bands shouldn't be falling off.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
sirbenson said:
This is a question for those that have the pet peeve about people wearing their wedding band "outside" of their e-ring i.e. e-ring is closer to the web, w-band closer to the knuckle....why does it peeve you? I am not married yet and wondered wear to put the w-band. Why does it matter wear it goes? I've read that someone says the w-band should be "closer to the heart". Why? I guess I don't understand. But then again Im not the sentimental type, nor, supersticious, nor do I believe in things like "something old, something new...". I plan to have a plain band and also a eternity band, which will flank my e-ring. So is it bad to have one band on either side? To me it look smore balanced vs. having them both on the inside. I'd rather keep the sparkly one closer to me so that IF one fell off it would only be the plain band (the one I'll get married with).

I just don't like it. It bothers my eye.. No real reason.

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
Sizzle said:
sirbenson said:
This is a question for those that have the pet peeve about people wearing their wedding band "outside" of their e-ring i.e. e-ring is closer to the web, w-band closer to the knuckle....why does it peeve you? I am not married yet and wondered wear to put the w-band. Why does it matter wear it goes? I've read that someone says the w-band should be "closer to the heart". Why? I guess I don't understand. But then again Im not the sentimental type, nor, supersticious, nor do I believe in things like "something old, something new...". I plan to have a plain band and also a eternity band, which will flank my e-ring. So is it bad to have one band on either side? To me it look smore balanced vs. having them both on the inside. I'd rather keep the sparkly one closer to me so that IF one fell off it would only be the plain band (the one I'll get married with).

I just don't like it. It bothers my eye.. No real reason.

Fair enough :)

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Eh, I keep a 'lock band' around. Its a 2mm white gold band with a cut and filed shank. I don't like to box my ring when I travel, and I'm loathe to leave it at home. It works best for me to just wear it, and slide a band on if my hands get very, very cold.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1288292896|2749447 said:
Ugly prong work :knockout:

Dirty diamonds :knockout: :knockout:

big big ditto, especially on the prongs - i think ive become something of a prong-snob :bigsmile:

haha, double that entendre :appl:

Ninna

Shiny_Rock
JJ's: Dirty jewelry and jealousy :lol:

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Do giant CZ earrings or cloudy CZ earrings in cheaply made settings count? :errrr:

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Giant fake gold medallions in a mat of chest fur. :tongue:

But if I was giving a serious answer, I would say that one of my pet peeves is how difficult it is to find nice yellow gold jewellery. Not everyone looks good in white metals. White metals are such 'the norm' now that it's hard to find inexpensive but decent yellow gold pieces.

Can my loathing of TV ads hawking hideous maul jewellery count? Some of them are downright creepy ... :errrr: "I'll never let you go, not even after years of sociopathic control issues and extreme jealousy you hit me in the head with a vase as you try to escape so I have to chase you down and while I tackle you your head hits a rock so I end up having to chop your body up and stick it in the freezer"

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1287855006|2745106 said:
sphenequeen said:
someone licking their ring(s) to take them off. :errrr:

Okay, EW.

I've been known to do this! Ring gets stuck while travelling and I completely freak out. I start to imagine my finger falling off from the ring being too tight and panic. So I stick my finger in my mouth and then try to wiggle it off. Usually works! My fingers swell a lot on airplanes and I'm not taking them off in an airplane bathroom.

Megalomi

Rough_Rock
A listing of things that I personally don't care for:

1. invisible diamond settings...sweetheart, just keep saving for an actual whole diamond
2. too high of a basket
3. ugly prong work...a la just too much prong, eating up the table
4. cloudy diamonds and cloudy czs
5. Marquise & Princess cuts - just not for me
6. dirty jewelry
7. rings on every finger and their thumbs - all at once
8. shoulder duster earrings circa Avon in the early 90's
9. chokers - the tight necklace...no. stop it, please.

:nono:

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't stand seeing multiple 80s rings on a person's hand. One per hand could be OK with, but not several per finger/hand :rolleyes:

I also cant stand seeing nice jewelry, particularly family jewelry encrusted with soap gunk and lotion gunk :nono: !

This next one will sound ungrateful and selfish, sorry about that :oops: . I can't stand when something beautiful is made of gold- plated sterling silver. If you can afford it, why not get it in 10 kt gold, or sterling silver-- both are lovely. When I was 16 my parents bought me a beautiful well made locket... gold plated silver. It looked great for a couple of weeks and then I noticed the back of the locket that rubs against your skin, was no longer yellow but a dull greyish silver. I was so sad that they didn't try harder to buy me something special for my sweet 16. Finances were not an issue.

Anyway, gem-addict that I am, I have a lot of beautiful pieces to make up for it. Still, when I'm browsing through jewelry at the store and come across gold-plated silver... I get :errrr: :mad:

Almost forgot one--rings with stones so large that it causes the ring to spin. I have a gorgeous ring that does this and it just drives me nuts!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People using the term "how big" when the are actually referring to "how heavy".
Carat is a unit of weight.
Carat is not a unit of size as in width, length, depth, or diameter.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Megalomi|1294871944|2821054 said:
9. chokers - the tight necklace...no. stop it, please.

A ring worn on the middle finger. Especially when the person has no other rings on. It looks SO awkward. I'm in on rings on all fingers too, dislike that heartily. It says somebody is trying too hard to make a "statement." With so many, you can't admire any of them, they get lost in the shuffle.

Don't like plated jewelry either. Ack.

But I LOVE chokers, if the lady has a long enough neck so it's not right under her chin.

--- Laurie

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
Trekkie|1287851719|2745066 said:
Sparkly Blonde said:
The only person who really pissed me off with her jewelery was a coworker at my last job. She bought a "princess" (really ugly cut) cz set in silver from avon because her first diamond was tiny. She'd then slather lotion all over her hands, and the set, and shove her hands in front of people and say, "don't you just loooovveeee my diamonds?"

Ew. That's disgusting! I'd be so tempted to 'out' her.

I hate looking at women who wear several rings on each finger, especially when they're low carat yellow gold rings. I see it frequently in shop assistants here in SA. Why wear a dozen cheap 9ct yellow gold rings on one hand when you could rather save and buy one or two really good pieces?

I also get very frustrated when people assume my diamonds are fake simply because they're more used to seeing teensy diamond chips set in elaborate 9ct yellow gold settings flanked by 3 bands on each side. I'm not exaggerating - that's considered 'grand' by my coloured relatives: 5 or 7 bands of icky low carat yellow gold and the occasional diamond chip. I wish I could load a picture to show you.

lol - I see it often in shop assistants in Westfield in NSW also. Don't like it at all.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
wow!I must agree that it is harsh that anyone in this day and age would make statements that say that its tacky for men to wear jewelry and that there are women who would not permit their men to wear more then a wedding band and watch.I don't have the energy or time to respond in length,but i feel sorry for any man who would be in a relationship that his wife or girl friend is so controlling that she must dictate his wardrobe or jewelry choices. Ive helped these type of women when they are shopping with their fiance for wedding jewelry.They make comments like "you will wear the wedding band i pick out for you" or" no man of mine is going to wear diamonds in his ring" or my favorite ...ill pick out your ring because you don't have good taste" and i think to myself...he doesn't have good taste in women either!". im surprised that there are women on this board that feel that men cant wear jewelry!Its like me saying that its stupid for women to wear pants because they would look tacky not look famine enough.enough said...Ive got to go clean my many chains,bracelets and rings.

Megalomi

Rough_Rock
In that case it would be presented and worn nicely.

Just an example...would be someone with a bit of a generous neck. Britney Spears. She wears loads of chokers.

That's just me, though.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oooh, I'm with everyone who said dirty jewelry. I'm surprised to find out some people NEVER take off their e-ring/w-band. I understand the sentiment, but ugh!

Also, whoever said uninsured jewelry: ditto. My mom has a number of nice pieces (diamond studs, gemstone rings, diamond channel set band, etc.) and none of it is insured. I almost want to get it insured myself, since my sister cares not a whit for fine jewelry and I'll probably end up with all of it (in, like, 30 years). :bigsmile: I've helped a handful of friends buy engagement rings, and I'd wager none of them are insured, either. :((

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1294953691|2822003 said:
Also, whoever said uninsured jewelry: ditto. My mom has a number of nice pieces (diamond studs, gemstone rings, diamond channel set band, etc.) and none of it is insured. I almost want to get it insured myself, since my sister cares not a whit for fine jewelry and I'll probably end up with all of it (in, like, 30 years). :bigsmile: I've helped a handful of friends buy engagement rings, and I'd wager none of them are insured, either. :((
that was me.. :Up_to_something: :tongue: ..we can't afford to insure our jewelry.the insurance Co. quote was... $220 per $10k worth of jewelry... :rolleyes:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
I was going to say haven't we had this discussion before but then I saw it's a thread that's been brought to the top. :tongue:

My biggest pet peeve is when couples get diamonds that look like frozen spit to hit a certain ct weight. There I said it.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
The thing that I really hate when it comes to jewelry, is when people ask to see my rings and smack their fingers all over the diamond/gemstone. When they do the same to their own rings, or in a jewelry store, I still cringe. Good lord, can't you just hold the band of the ring, not the actual stone? :sick:

Also, dirty jewelry, of course, but it's not surprising that most of us agree on that one. As members of a jewelry forum, we're obviously people who value aesthetics and smothering your beautiful rings/earrings, etc. in dirt is just unacceptable.

Criticizing someone's jewelry, especially when they haven't asked for your opinion. Just shut it, it doesn't matter if you think it's too big, or too dainty, or, my personal favourite, too sparkly. Yep, an acquaintance of mine whose bf proposed with a CZ, suddenly became very bitter of my engagement ring and informed me that she didn't like it, because it was too sparkly for her taste. Well, ok, I guess, but why did I need to know that?

As for the wedding band worn in front of the e-ring, most women here in Bulgaria do that. I think it has to do with the idea that the w-band is the more important ring and has to be on top. I wear them both ways, depending on my mood.

afreebird

Shiny_Rock
Lula|1295017259|2822645 said:
The "Everlon" design and its variations. It looks like a jockstrap to me.

And can I include bad mall brand advertisements in this thread? This one sets my teeth on edge http://bitchmagazine.org/post/every-kiss-begins-with-fear

Jock strap; I love it! Now I can never look at an Everlon design and not think of balls.

I don't really have jewelry pet peeves that apply to other people, other than I hate it when people touch my stuff. Probably my biggest personal jewelry pet peeve is the "spring ring" clasp for necklaces. If I ask to look at a necklace in a store and then discover that it has a spring ring (the little circle clasp) rather than a lobster clasp, it's an automatic "never mind" in my head. I'm not sure why. I think I equate those clasps to all the really thin delicate necklaces I wore as a little girl that didn't survive recess on the playground. Plus my fine motor skills are pretty lacking, and those tiny clasps are frustrating to me to try to manage.

Oh! and lightweight settings that just have that hollow feeling. I like my settings to feel heavyweight and substantial. I'm a TJ Maxxinista, and I saw a really pretty and unique ring that featured a huge pear-shaped amethyst surrounded by various colors of topaz. When I first held it, though, it weighed next to nothings and the gold setting was very thin. I can't do a lightweight ring, even if it's "just for fun."

Also, I am OCD about checking my settings constantly to make sure stones are secure. For that reason, I can't own any rings that have prongs since I am so worried about snagging them on a sleeve or when I reach into my bag. I know that realistically, a well-made ring is not going to have problems, but prongs, as well as plastic zippers (totally unrelated) bring out the OCD in me. When my husband proposed, my first thought when I saw my ring was how beautiful it was. My very second thought was, "Thank the lord it doesn't have prongs!" That's how bad I am. My e-ring is a half-bezel, and my wedding band is channel set, so I can put my hand through the sleeve of my sweater without having to fight the compulsive urge to loupe my ring. Nuts, I know. I must have had a band experience with jewelry as a kid, though I can't remember anything traumatic happening other than my Swatch Watch strawberry-scented band giving me a rash.

I just thought of a pet peeve I have that applies to other people. Wearing noisy bracelets that bang and clang. I have had some students who have driven me NUTS with this!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gem labs having different color and clarity grade standards. :angryfire:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i have a few pet peeves.
Dirty jewelry
manufactors who dont put the right size clasp on a chain or pendant...to little and its hard to handle and to big and it slids to the front .
manufactures who try to save money by using small prong work on large stones.
poorly repaired jewelry- if a repairman cant handle the job then send it back so it can be given to a repairman who can!

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
It really irks me when people disclose their total carat weight instead of their center stone weight, and then think that their ring (with several smaller diamonds) is better than someone else's solitaire with a larger stone (but less total weight).

I was at work one day, and this woman asked me how many carats my ring is. We weren't even talking about rings at the time, but I guess she felt the need to ask. I just said that I didn't know (I didn't want to get into it with her). She then proudly held hers up, and said "mine's 2 carats!!!). I had to clamp my mouth shut, because I didn't want to even try to explain that several smaller diamonds aren't nearly as expensive as one larger one (which is what she really seemed concerned about - having the more valuable ring), and also that hers was dull and had an obvious tint.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Wow, I guess I can't share my own opinion about my own DH without getting in trouble. I was careful not to make broad statements about other men, just what I prefer on my own husband. And by the way the term "permitted" was meant to be said jokingly since telling one's spouse what to wear does not a good marriage make.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pierced earrings that make those enormous holes in the ear lobes. Why in theehell would anybody want to do that?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results