carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Pet Peeves?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
klewis, I agree.

"Men who wear any jewelry besides wedding band."

Really. So the pet peeve includes men who wear cuff links.

How absurd!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
And we could extend the 'peeve' to races, religions, nations - why stop with the sexes?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
blackberry16 said:
Last, but not least.... man jewelry. A watch and his ring is all DH is permitted to have.

I'm glad that nobody would dare to "permit" me what to wear. I enjoy making up my own mind. :rolleyes:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
klewis said:
And we could extend the 'peeve' to races, religions, nations - why stop with the sexes?

Oh how right you are.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imdanny said:
klewis said:

Oh how right you are.

Ditto, KLewis & Imdanny.

Really, guys?

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
I am also a little disturbed to see the "men shouldn't wear any jewellery" comments.... I know this is a thread for venting on stuff that peeves us, but really? That seems a little more extreme than the "I don't like dirty jewellery" or "Tight rings make me cringe" comments. I could understand saying that you dislike a LOT of jewellery on men, but dictating what your DH is and isn't "permitted" to wear? Yikes, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps your DH is happy to bend to your rules, or perhaps you just got lucky and found someone whose preference matched your own... who knows.

P.S. - I can see the contradiction in my saying that one aesthetic - ie men with some jewellery - is not open to criticism, but yet other aesthetics - eg multiple non-stacker rings on one finger - can be criticised. I guess it's the "gender-specificness" of the first criteria that riles me.

Iamdanny - wear whatever the hell you want. :Up_to_something:

I'd like to think that those posters were just clumsy in their turn of phrase.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LaurenThePartier said:
As for too tight rings, I feel like my rings may look too tight, but I can wear rings 2 sizes too large and my finger still poofs up around it. I can easily get all of my rings off without licking my finger (Gah, who does that anyway :angryfire:), but sometimes I see someone else with the finger muffin top and I can relate. May or may not be anything they can do about that.

Eh, you're right Lauren, now I feel bad about my disliking rings that are too small, in many cases a person can't do anything about it. I still stand by my not liking short necklaces though, that can definitely be fixed!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
LaurenThePartier said:
As for too tight rings, I feel like my rings may look too tight, but I can wear rings 2 sizes too large and my finger still poofs up around it. I can easily get all of my rings off without licking my finger (Gah, who does that anyway :angryfire:), but sometimes I see someone else with the finger muffin top and I can relate. May or may not be anything they can do about that.

Ditto. It's just the way my finger is shaped. My rings always look too tight unless they're sized so big that they fall off.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC said:
Mine include:

* Men who wear any jewelry besides wedding band. I think men and rings, necklaces, etc: tacky* Multiple items. Too much jewelry.
* My other, and this is sort of related, is when people spend tons of money (like $15K or more) on jewelry and spell everything wrong in their posts. HOW does one manage to make that much $ and not have the skills to proofread? My spelling/grammer isn't too good, but I don't spend large amounts on jewelry that would be common with a high-paying job, so my posts don't count! hahaha When I post about my 10K ring I am looking to get, THEN you guys can remind me of this post :) lol
MC...does that mean you don't like my toering?... :(sad

reader

Brilliant_Rock
New pet peeve: using carrot in ads, and then not knowing the weight of the stone you are trying to sell.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
reader said:
New pet peeve: using carrot in ads, and then not knowing the weight of the stone you are trying to sell.

Good one!!! ;))

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ugly prong work :knockout:

Dirty diamonds :knockout: :knockout:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clio said:
LaurenThePartier said:

Ditto. It's just the way my finger is shaped. My rings always look too tight unless they're sized so big that they fall off.

Me too, can't do much about it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Circe said:
Imdanny said:
klewis said:

Oh how right you are.

Ditto, KLewis & Imdanny.

Really, guys?

I agree too. I think it is sad that because of these types of attitudes my husband will not wear a diamond in his ring. I would love for him to be able to enjoy a well cut stone the way I do, and I know that he would like to wear one, but he is concerned about how he will be judged.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rae~ said:
I am also a little disturbed to see the "men shouldn't wear any jewellery" comments.... I know this is a thread for venting on stuff that peeves us, but really? That seems a little more extreme than the "I don't like dirty jewellery" or "Tight rings make me cringe" comments. I could understand saying that you dislike a LOT of jewellery on men, but dictating what your DH is and isn't "permitted" to wear? Yikes, that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps your DH is happy to bend to your rules, or perhaps you just got lucky and found someone whose preference matched your own... who knows.

P.S. - I can see the contradiction in my saying that one aesthetic - ie men with some jewellery - is not open to criticism, but yet other aesthetics - eg multiple non-stacker rings on one finger - can be criticised. I guess it's the "gender-specificness" of the first criteria that riles me.

Well so it's not okay for me to say what I did, but others can complain about people having "sausage" fingers without critisism? Doesn't that extend into the realm of commenting on a persons chubby hands? Seems that's rude.

I guess talking crap about friends and co-workers and friends is okay???

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Methinks some of us are taking this thread too seriously. ;)) And if we want to get down to the nitty gritty, none of these "peeves" would be considered a compliment to the offender.

Jewelry on men...I rather like it. BUT, not everyone agrees. Maybe this is a bit of a cultural thing? My father is half-Italian, and he and his male Italian relatives have always worn jewelry (yellow gold link/ID-style bracelets, diamond rings, chains) as far back as I can remember. My uncles on my mom's side of English/Irish descent wouldn't dream of it. I also think men from where I grew up in the Northeast wore more jewelry than those I have encountered in the South.

I don't know. Just hope I don't get flamed for stereotyping. :bigsmile:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Siamese Kitty said:
Methinks some of us are taking this thread too seriously. ;)) And if we want to get down to the nitty gritty, none of these "peeves" would be considered a compliment to the offender.

Yeah, I do think people are taking this thread too seriously. If a guy wants to wear his jewelry then build up the confidence to wear it all!

And DF - your toe ring is great! Enjoy it :)

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Rae~ said:

I like your style! Nice to meet you. =)

Rae~

Shiny_Rock
MC - I do understand what you are saying, and agree to some extent; as I mentioned I can see my own contradiction/hypocrisy. I'm working on that too. :oops: I do still feel there's a slight difference when the line is being drawn along gender lines rather than other criteria, and quite strictly, too. I guess that's all I was trying to say.

Iamdanny - nice to meet you, too. :bigsmile: :wavey:

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC said:
Rae~ said:

Well so it's not okay for me to say what I did, but others can complain about people having "sausage" fingers without critisism? Doesn't that extend into the realm of commenting on a persons chubby hands? Seems that's rude.

Gee, MC; thanks for taking the sting out of people just complaining about "too tight rings" and turning into "sausage fingers". LOL :bigsmile: ;))

If it's not obvious, I'm KIDDING around - I wouldn't have 11ty pictures of my rings on my hands if I cared what someone thought of my chubby hands.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Any of you that wear stacks notice that you get a more defined 'finger waistline' after a bit of time? The supervisor with the thick 'gold' chain hit it with a cleaning cloth, it looked better last night, and he wasn't trying to pass it off as solid gold.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty diamonds or gemstones

Wearing way too much jewelry at once - rings or multiple rings on every finger

A lady at work had a very pretty aqua but never cleaned it and every time I talked to her I just kept looking at her ring. I took her a jar of jewelry cleaner. Was that bad? :devil:

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Clio said:
LaurenThePartier said:

Me too. I just don't have a model's hands. More is the pity :blackeye: .

But to my own criticism, I dislike seeing a strangled finger; even on my own hand.

As to all other major jewellery gripes, less is more, except in ct size.

ETA: spell checking, still can't spell even with my 10k ring on my finger ;)) (joke!)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
MC said:
Rae~ said:

Talk about a storm in a tea-cup. How did a little pet-peeve turn into all of this? Surely MC/MB are entitled to post what she posts? I don't see anything sexist, racist or any other kind of -ist there. It makes me sad to see a posters view whipped in the blink of an eye into something far greater than what was written. Wouldn't it be nicer not to attack another point of view, just because it could be read in a certain light - if you squint really hard?

And as for men with jewellery, it isn't really done here so I can't comment other than to say I would find it unusual to see a man with earrings and chains...but I would love to get a wb with a cute little asscher for DH some day :love:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
reader said:

It's vegetable abuse and should not be tolerated. ;))

sirbenson

Shiny_Rock
This is a question for those that have the pet peeve about people wearing their wedding band "outside" of their e-ring i.e. e-ring is closer to the web, w-band closer to the knuckle....why does it peeve you? I am not married yet and wondered wear to put the w-band. Why does it matter wear it goes? I've read that someone says the w-band should be "closer to the heart". Why? I guess I don't understand. But then again Im not the sentimental type, nor, supersticious, nor do I believe in things like "something old, something new...". I plan to have a plain band and also a eternity band, which will flank my e-ring. So is it bad to have one band on either side? To me it look smore balanced vs. having them both on the inside. I'd rather keep the sparkly one closer to me so that IF one fell off it would only be the plain band (the one I'll get married with).

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Matata said:
reader said:

:lol:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
I remember going to Mt. Vernon and seeing Martha Washington's "keeper ring" a band of diamonds meant to 'protect the more precious wedding band' by being worn on the outside of the wedding ring. Perhaps this, and Queen Charlotte's 1761 keeper band, is the reason behind the view that the engagement ring should be worn on top of the wedding band.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare said:
Matata said:
reader said:

:lol:

ROFL!

RE: Wedding band on the outside.
I wear mine both ways, depending on my mood. Sometimes I like to see my e-ring unobstructed by the w-band so I put it on the outside, other times I just want a change. :loopy:

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Pet Peeves?

1) Dirty jewelry. I ended up cleaning a bunch of friends' rings when they were over for the game on Saturday. Lol, we went to dinner with sparklies!

2) Ill fitting jewelry, whether too tight or too loose. My mom has a 24k gold ring, WAY too big, which she wore in the SHOWER, and lost down the drain. Lucky for her, my dad was cleaning out the drain months later and found it. I've told her to have it taken in to resize it, but she just has not done it. Further, since she knows nothing about jewelry and diamonds, she insists the next diamond will come from Costco, regardless of whether it actually is of good quality/cut/price, etc, because she's happy with the illusion setting she bought there.

3) My mother insisting on giving me her jewelry. Way different tastes. She once bought me a silver ring that said "love" on it. Too bad I was in law school and not 8 years old.

Finally, since y'all haven't said anything, I'm going to get a classy diamond grille made for my 100 watt smile! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results