shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Pet Peeves?

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to viewing jewelry on others, or over jewelry in general?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
A ring being too tight or too loose on someones finger. Thats the only thing I can possibly think of that bothers me so I'm listening in to see what everyone else comes up with!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my only pet peeve is seeing someone wearing too many pieces. Multiple earrings + multiple rings + multiple bracelets=too much. I understand sentimental pieces, but no one can have 6 sentimental earrings, 10 sentimental rings, 3 sentimental necklaces, and top them off with a nose piercing or ankle bracelets, etc. Just keep it simple and wear 3-4 things and maybe a statement piece. Sometimes I think people wear entirely too many accessories because they're trying to hide their perceived flaws or just "show off" everything in their vault or jewelry box.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Diamonds with visible inclusions. Cheap stones. Ugly jewelry. But that's just me.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Frozen spit rings/pendants/earrings/whatever.

Too tight rings.

Like Monnie, too much jewelry at the same time.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
#1 Too tight rings.

#2 Women who wear their wedding ring on top of their engagement ring (the wedding band should be worn closest to the heart).

#3 Dirty jewelry.

#4 Soldered rings (seems to aggravate #1)

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Well dressed men wearing cheap chains.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
monarch64 said:
I think my only pet peeve is seeing someone wearing too many pieces. Multiple earrings + multiple rings + multiple bracelets=too much. I understand sentimental pieces, but no one can have 6 sentimental earrings, 10 sentimental rings, 3 sentimental necklaces, and top them off with a nose piercing or ankle bracelets, etc. Just keep it simple and wear 3-4 things and maybe a statement piece. Sometimes I think people wear entirely too many accessories because they're trying to hide their perceived flaws or just "show off" everything in their vault or jewelry box.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And how would you compliment them - oh I love that necklace - that one - second to the back - no down one - to the left......oh forget it!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant stand to see dirty jewelry, it really bugs me, you buy something pretty then you let it get all gunked up and then it looks ugly, I just dont understand it :errrr:

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's weird - I'm not a huge fan of two metals in the same ring, though I'd consider some rosegold accents on white gold... maybe. But yellow gold and white I just never have gotten. Though if it is a white gold ring next to a yellow gold ring I'm totally fine with it. And even this is not hard and fast - I find exceptions that I like sometimes :)

oranges

Brilliant_Rock
definitely too tight rings... it's just not a good look and it can't possibly be comfortable.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am incredibly persnickety about jewelry on myself - I hate poor finishes, gaps between channel-set baguettes or princesses, wonky prongs, rough milgrain, everything that speaks to shoddy workmanship.

That said, on other people? I'm pretty easy-going - we all have our own looks, and I've seen some fabulous looking things on other people that I don't think would work on me at all. The only things that really bug me are rings that are too tight, and dirty jewelry - like, the flip-side of shoddy workmanship, shoddy maintenance. I just received an antique piece, and I love it, but good god, it was shipped out filthy! Every. Single. Azure. Was crammed full of crud - it took me three soaks in hot water and two steam-cleanings to get it clean, and, my god, what a difference. Sad to think that 99% of people would just have worn it as-is, and not known the difference ....

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
The only person who really pissed me off with her jewelery was a coworker at my last job. She bought a "princess" (really ugly cut) cz set in silver from avon because her first diamond was tiny. She'd then slather lotion all over her hands, and the set, and shove her hands in front of people and say, "don't you just loooovveeee my diamonds?"

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Sparkly Blonde said:
The only person who really pissed me off with her jewelery was a coworker at my last job. She bought a "princess" (really ugly cut) cz set in silver from avon because her first diamond was tiny. She'd then slather lotion all over her hands, and the set, and shove her hands in front of people and say, "don't you just loooovveeee my diamonds?"

Ew. That's disgusting! I'd be so tempted to 'out' her.

I hate looking at women who wear several rings on each finger, especially when they're low carat yellow gold rings. I see it frequently in shop assistants here in SA. Why wear a dozen cheap 9ct yellow gold rings on one hand when you could rather save and buy one or two really good pieces?

I also get very frustrated when people assume my diamonds are fake simply because they're more used to seeing teensy diamond chips set in elaborate 9ct yellow gold settings flanked by 3 bands on each side. I'm not exaggerating - that's considered 'grand' by my coloured relatives: 5 or 7 bands of icky low carat yellow gold and the occasional diamond chip. I wish I could load a picture to show you.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dirty jewelry and dirty diamonds. It just drives me nuts! More than just a few women have been asked to take off their necklaces and rings when they come to my house, so I can clean them!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64 said:

Wasn't it Chanel that said one should get dressed and then remove one item before walking out the door? In my age bracket (50's) I think it is very aging and dated looking to wear too much at once.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I don't care enough to be irritated, but here's my opinion:

1. Jewelry with name brand prominently displayed on it. I don't like purses or clothing with the brand logo plastered big and bold, and feel the same way about jewelry.

2. Rip-off Tiffany jewelry - I already don't like the big chunky chain with the Return to Tiffany heart lock thing, so I certainly don't like the imitation.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
someone licking their ring(s) to take them off. :errrr:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
sphenequeen said:
someone licking their ring(s) to take them off. :errrr:

Okay, EW.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure said:

1. Jewelry with name brand prominently displayed on it. I don't like purses or clothing with the brand logo plastered big and bold, and feel the same way about jewelry.

2. Rip-off Tiffany jewelry - I already don't like the big chunky chain with the Return to Tiffany heart lock thing, so I certainly don't like the imitation.

Oh, yeah, ditto. When I see someone wearing, say, a Chanel necklace with the intertwined Cs, I think, "Don't you have any originality?" And how sad to need to show off that you shop at XXX store. I don't mind cheap jewelry -- a lot of people want something sparkly & can't afford better. If it gives them a lift to wear a fake ruby in a plated setting, great!

--- Laurie

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
It totally makes me crazy to see people put on lotion with their rings on... Gross!! Why would you do that to pretty sparklies? What did they ever do to you? :errrr:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dirty diamonds, dirty stones. Don't let them get a gunked up with hand lotion... Take out your diamond studs, clean them... My DD has my studs from WF... She wears them every day, they are 2.0 TCW martini set. They do look great being dirty, it's the cut... But when she comes home, I make her take them out, and put them in the Crest US.. Family has to take off their crudded rings and let me clean them.. I am OCD about it.... :rolleyes:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
DIRTY JEWELRY!!!!

I don't care iif it's something I like or despise--for God's sake woman, keep it clean! How much effort does it take to run it under some water with a little dish washing liquid and an old toothbrush? :nono:
Thanks you. I feel so much better now!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
* Lickers. Just get your damn ring sized already!!
* Dirty jewelry. Especially when it was very obvious that you haven't taken your earrings off in like 2 years. I, too, have been known to confiscate jewelry from the women in my family to have cleaning parties after holiday dinners.
* Stacking tons of jewelry. I had a lunch lady when I was in elementary school who wore 5-6 rings PER FINGER, on EVERY finger, never mind nose and eyebrow piercings, bracelets, necklaces... It was insane. It never looks good.
* Wearing rings on 2 fingers that are next to each other so the rings clink together and you can't close your fingers.
* Pretending that your (obviously) fake stones are real, and bragging about them. I have no problem with cz, or what-have-you substitutes for engagement rings if you can't afford a diamond, but don't tell me it's real when it's clearly from a kiosk.

Dirty diamonds.

I'm almost appalled. Grosses me out to think that people don't care that the rock they spent $$$ on is dirty.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
My mom actually peeves me in a zillion ways re: jewelry. I love her. She is awesome. But she is SUCH a jewelry abuser! First, her e-ring is a full size or so too tight- and she does lick it to take it off. I stuck the Windex in her hand last time she was about to and said "For the love of god, use this, don't lick it!" Then after she'd pried off the poor abused sapphire, I made her put it in the cleaner- apparently it hadn't been cleaned in about a year. The entire back side of the gem was PACKED with greasy dirt. I made her come look at the ginormous chunk of ook that was floating about in the cleaner. Then it took at least 6 hours of soaking and repeated scrubbings to even come close to getting the dirt out. She also gardens in her jewelry, which has absolutely destroyed her sapphire e-ring in about a decade.

She also is a diamond poker. When she looks at my rings, she puts her finger right on the table. Every time. Gah!

Other people's jewelry style choices rarely bug me- my own sense of style is so particular and peculiar that I really have no leg to stand on there!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
reader said:
Well dressed men wearing cheap chains.

Yes, I agree.

I'm on a tear against mass market chains that are coated in 22 gold for the US market even though they're marked 14 kt or 18kt.

I have no interest in plated chains.

So I've found I have go up in quality/ vendor/ price point to get what I want. I think it's worth it but I doubt many people do. I doubt many people know that chains are plated. I didn't know it until I read it here.

Or maybe you meant men wearing chains in general?

Either way, plated gold chains, that aren't made that well to begin with these days, are one of my jewelry pet peeves.

I want to add that (JMHO) men have to be very discreet with their choice(s) of jewelry or else it can easily come off looking very wrong.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Dirty jewelry, especially NICE dirty jewelry! One of my coworkers has this absolutely STUNNING 2ct solitaire. And it's constantly caked with gunk. I managed to bring my ultrasonic in (cleaning CDs was my excuse) and cleaned it once for her. She was stunned by how good it looked.

And the next day she slathered lotion all over it.

See me banging my head on my desk.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Got to be dirty jewelry - drives me wild!

I also hate the multiple rings on one finger - and I'm not talking stacking rings. Why does anyone think two or more rings look good on one finger?????

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

Oh, yeah, ditto. When I see someone wearing, say, a Chanel necklace with the intertwined Cs, I think, "Don't you have any originality?" And how sad to need to show off that you shop at XXX store. I don't mind cheap jewelry -- a lot of people want something sparkly & can't afford better. If it gives them a lift to wear a fake ruby in a plated setting, great!

--- Laurie

When I say that imitation jewelry bothers me, I don't mean that I dislike cheap or inexpensive jewelry. I just dislike the toggled chunky chain "it says TIFFANY!" necklace, so I dislike even more the toggled chunky chain "I wish this was TIFFANY" necklace. Same goes for obviously fake Chanel jewelry, you know the ones with the interlocking C's made of rhinestones!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results