shape
carat
color
clarity

Jewelry Pet Peeves?

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I really only notice someone else's jewelry if it is: a) stunningly beautiful, b) cheap, c) way too much, or d) DIRTY!

If someone is wearing their entire jewelry box, I think, "Why?"

If someone is wearing dirty gemstones or diamonds, I think "Eeww!"

If someone is wearing the really cheap costume stuff - - rhinestones, phony silver, stretch bracelets, plastic beads - - I wonder why they want to spend their money on trendy kitsch that will wear out in a season.

If someone is wearing something breathtaking, I'm in complete awe. But,out here in ordinary America, that rarely happens.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sphenequeen said:
someone licking their ring(s) to take them off. :errrr:

GAAHHH!! I hate that too! I used to work in a jewellery shop, and couldn't get over the number of people who would come in, try on a ring that was CLEARLY too small, insist they could get it on their finger against my advice, JAM it on, then lick their whole freakin' arm, ring and all, to get it off! And handing the poor innocent ring back to me!! :errrr: :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

I contemplated keeping a pair of kitchen tongs behind the counter to take rings back off people in moments like this. BLECK.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely dirty diamonds! It drives me crazy. I just can't understand having a lovely stone and not keeping it clean, it takes away so much of the beauty of the stone. The next time my sister visits me I'm cleaning her diamond band for her, I can't take it anymore!

And rings that are too tight. Oh, and necklaces that are too tight...I can't fathom why some people wear chains that look like they are choking them. It really bothers me.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooh good topic! Mine are:

• Dirty jewellery
    Stacks of rings with teensy diamond chips on every finger
    Black sapphires posing as blue ones
    tight rings on pudgy hands - just get them resized!
    Cheap immitation brand jewellery such as fake Chanel or Tiffany & Co.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never get irritated enough to say anything, but my only real pet peeve is when people wear their wedding bands on top of their e-rings. In my sister's case, she hasn't gotten her e-ring sized so it's to keep it on, but in many cases, it's just because they were still wearing their e-ring when they got married and that's the way they've always worn it.

As for too tight rings, I feel like my rings may look too tight, but I can wear rings 2 sizes too large and my finger still poofs up around it. I can easily get all of my rings off without licking my finger (Gah, who does that anyway :angryfire:), but sometimes I see someone else with the finger muffin top and I can relate. May or may not be anything they can do about that.

labellavita81

Shiny_Rock
Dirty jewelery - I just want to take it off them and clean it! :naughty:

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64 said:
I think my only pet peeve is seeing someone wearing too many pieces. Multiple earrings + multiple rings + multiple bracelets=too much. I understand sentimental pieces, but no one can have 6 sentimental earrings, 10 sentimental rings, 3 sentimental necklaces, and top them off with a nose piercing or ankle bracelets, etc. Just keep it simple and wear 3-4 things and maybe a statement piece. Sometimes I think people wear entirely too many accessories because they're trying to hide their perceived flaws or just "show off" everything in their vault or jewelry box.

ditto

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Women who wear necklaces, bracelets, rings, (earrings not so much) to the beach or to go swimming in a chlorinated pool!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LaurenThePartier said:
I never get irritated enough to say anything, but my only real pet peeve is when people wear their wedding bands on top of their e-rings. In my sister's case, she hasn't gotten her e-ring sized so it's to keep it on, but in many cases, it's just because they were still wearing their e-ring when they got married and that's the way they've always worn it.

As for too tight rings, I feel like my rings may look too tight, but I can wear rings 2 sizes too large and my finger still poofs up around it. I can easily get all of my rings off without licking my finger (Gah, who does that anyway :angryfire:), but sometimes I see someone else with the finger muffin top and I can relate. May or may not be anything they can do about that.

My fingers taper, so I have to wear my rings a bit snug or they would fly off. Nothin I can do about the muffin top. I can still get them on and off no problem. Meh.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm prone to Magic Growing Fingers myself, depending on the time of the month, how much salt I've consumed, the changing of the tides, and the movements of the planets. Two life-savers: a, comfort-fit bands make life so much easier. B, since I buy my rings for stacking a lot of the time, I just remove as necessary. When I'm on the rag in August after a week of takeout? It's down to just the e-ring, or I get the sausage fingers.

Funny how the things we hate are sometimes the ones we're most prone to ....

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I hate illusion settings. You know where there's four princess stones pushed together to mimic a larger one or a rectangular shape. I also hate when people ask me what I don't like then they shove their offended piece in my face thinking theirs is so nice i'll change my mind. Not likely. Also add mento the list irritated by wearing 20 rings on one finger. That also goes for tennis bracelets. I witnessed last week a woman wearing no less than 6 tennis bracelets all cheap walmart style and giving her muffin top wrists!

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Here are a few :

Crass that is clogging up rings
fuzz stucked in prongs
Illusion settings that are HUGE - Sorry, it ain't foolin' me!
multiple rings on EVERY fingers.
Multiple necklaces that leads to a TANGLED MESS! lol
Clunky Bracelets that are so heavy and extremely noisy.
Muffin top fingers caused by too many rings/tight rings - looks like the finger is going to fall off b/c it's so tight!
HUUUUGE hoops - makes me want to pull them out! lol
3 tone jewelry
Letter jewelry ( and the handbags too! )
Feather jewelry
That nose piercing in the middle with a circular ring that looks like "the laughing Cow" ( i do like delicate studs though :)
THose stretched holes in the ears ( I don't know why people like that? )

Less is more :bigsmile:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too tight = snausage finger syndrome

Dirty=I was in a high end jewelry store the other day and this older lady came in and the salesperson put her rings in the Ultrasonic and the store owner said she needed to quite making biscuits with her rings on, grossed me out.

Kentucky Clusters= yeah you know what I am talking about.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny said:
reader said:
Well dressed men wearing cheap chains.

Yes, I agree.

I'm on a tear against mass market chains that are coated in 22 gold for the US market even though they're marked 14 kt or 18kt.

I have no interest in plated chains.

So I've found I have go up in quality/ vendor/ price point to get what I want. I think it's worth it but I doubt many people do. I doubt many people know that chains are plated. I didn't know it until I read it here.

Or maybe you meant men wearing chains in general?

Either way, plated gold chains, that aren't made that well to begin with these days, are one of my jewelry pet peeves.

I want to add that (JMHO) men have to be very discreet with their choice(s) of jewelry or else it can easily come off looking very wrong.
My night shift supervisor came to work wearing such a chain, which prompted this thread. It was very obviously a 22kt plate. He made the mistake of bragging to me about it. I couldn't help myself: "Did you check the hallmarks? That looks like 22kt plate, if you spent more than $30 you got ripped off." He looked very sad, admitted it was a chain from Ebay (China no less!) and was surprised I could spot it at 50 paces.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
A ring being too tight or too loose on someones finger. Thats the only thing I can possibly think of that bothers me so I'm listening in to see what everyone else comes up with!

Yes, that too! A ring that is too tight on someone's finger. I don't like the way it looks.

Edited to add, I can see from my own finger at my age that there is some puffiness between the knuckles so it might be unavoidable in some cases in fairness.

I keep thinking when I lose the rest of the weight I want to lose it might go away. But it might not!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
reader said:
Imdanny said:
reader said:
Well dressed men wearing cheap chains.

Yes, I agree.

I'm on a tear against mass market chains that are coated in 22 gold for the US market even though they're marked 14 kt or 18kt.

I have no interest in plated chains.

So I've found I have go up in quality/ vendor/ price point to get what I want. I think it's worth it but I doubt many people do. I doubt many people know that chains are plated. I didn't know it until I read it here.

Or maybe you meant men wearing chains in general?

Either way, plated gold chains, that aren't made that well to begin with these days, are one of my jewelry pet peeves.

I want to add that (JMHO) men have to be very discreet with their choice(s) of jewelry or else it can easily come off looking very wrong.
My night shift supervisor came to work wearing such a chain, which prompted this thread. It was very obviously a 22kt plate. He made the mistake of bragging to me about it. I couldn't help myself: "Did you check the hallmarks? That looks like 22kt plate, if you spent more than $30 you got ripped off." He looked very sad, admitted it was a chain from Ebay (China no less!) and was surprised I could spot it at 50 paces.

I'm getting a small chain (sometimes they list it under chains and sometimes under bracelets) from Cartier. I promise you I have looked everywhere on the internet and there is nothing like it or even close to it at these sites that sell gold chains. I want/ I appreciate quality. To me, that's very discreet. A big, plated chain, not so much.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
There are men in my office, (granted this is a postal plant, so Cartier would be unheard of here) who have a chain. Most of them that bother to wear a chain pick something in at least 14k, and they look good. Plated chains, or worse yet, the stainless steel chains, just look bad no matter who is wearing them.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Dirty diamonds

2. Men who wear better jewelry than their women - I don't trust them and won't do any type of business with them.

reader

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, excellent point MadamBijoux.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
my only pet peeve is the word JEWELRY is mispronounced. I admit it..it's like hearing nails on a chalk board for me when ppl say JEW-lery :errrr: instead of JEWEL-ry

Even though I don't like when it's pronounced that way, I would never or have ever corrected anyone. (I would only do that to my kids ;-) )

waterlilly

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty Pleasure said:
I don't care enough to be irritated, but here's my opinion:

1. Jewelry with name brand prominently displayed on it. I don't like purses or clothing with the brand logo plastered big and bold, and feel the same way about jewelry.

ME TOO. Mainly on rings though (I feel the same about purses and clothes too), when it is inscribed on the outside of a ring - to me, it is very tacky. I want to ask the person - is your name Cartier? Is your name Tiffany? No? Then...why? :confused:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine include:

* Men who wear any jewelry besides wedding band. I think men and rings, necklaces, etc: tacky
* Multiple items. Too much jewelry.
* My other, and this is sort of related, is when people spend tons of money (like $15K or more) on jewelry and spell everything wrong in their posts. HOW does one manage to make that much $ and not have the skills to proofread? My spelling/grammer isn't too good, but I don't spend large amounts on jewelry that would be common with a high-paying job, so my posts don't count! hahaha When I post about my 10K ring I am looking to get, THEN you guys can remind me of this post :) lol

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
MC said:
Mine include:
* My other, and this is sort of related, is when people spend tons of money (like $15K or more) on jewelry and spell everything wrong in their posts. HOW does one manage to make that much $ and not have the skills to proofread? My spelling/grammer isn't too good, but I don't spend large amounts on jewelry that would be common with a high-paying job, so my posts don't count! hahaha When I post about my 10K ring I am looking to get, THEN you guys can remind me of this post :) lol

Haha, I know this is a little mean, but it has totally crossed my mind before!

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
When women cruise around with diamond rings on their hands worth more than a brand new mid-level BMW with NO INSURANCE. This bugs me. My mother is the biggest offender in the world. Her mega-30th-anniversary-upgrade diamond ring can be seen from outer space and she does not have it - or any of her other jewels - insured. Drives me batty. I want to get the diamond certificate out of her safe deposit box and have my own jeweler appraise it. I would cover it on my own policy. It is ridiculous to not insure that ring - and when I grill her about it, all she says is, "oh, I just don't want to leave it at the jewelry store overnight, I'd miss it." Yeah, not as much as you'd miss it when you lose it/someone steals it/it gets damaged. Grrr. Not only that, but if I made an appointment, my jeweler could do it in the time she and I were at lunch and shopping for the day. I cannot win. :shock:

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
reader said:
Do you have any pet peeves when it comes to viewing jewelry on others, or over jewelry in general?
I see the jewelry people wear, the condition of it, and how much of it as a reflection on them. It has nothing to do with me, so it doesn't bother me. If some man is wearing 2-carat diamonds in each ear, or some woman has 50 10K trinket bracelets on her wrist, it tells a story about that person.

That's the thing about jewelry - it's soooo personal that it gives a lot of info about a person before s/he has even opened his/her mouth.

That said, I hate when:

1. Someone asks to see my ring and then puts a big thumbprint on the table!
2. I'm shopping with an acquaintance who does the same thing to a ring she has asked to see from the case. I'm so embarrassed in front of the salesperson that I feel like slinking away.
3. Someone looks at my studs and then flips my earlobe over to inspect! :errrr: Yes, this actually happened to me.
4. Someone is pretentious about their jewelry.
5. Someone asks to see my ring and then brags about what they have "in the safety deposit box".
6. A salesperson acts like they are doing you a favor by showing you a piece of jewelry.

blackberry16

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The one thing that bothers me the most is dirty rings. I was sitting in a meeting this morning and I was totally grossed out by my coworker's ring. There was green stuff growing on the base of the prongs. Come on lady, help a girl out!

I also hate too much stuff. It feels very "nursing home" to have a ring on every finger and 10 bracelets and necklaces (none of which have been cleaned since WWII).

Last, but not least.... man jewelry. A watch and his ring is all DH is permitted to have.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
MC said:
* My other, and this is sort of related, is when people spend tons of money (like $15K or more) on jewelry and spell everything wrong in their posts. HOW does one manage to make that much $ and not have the skills to proofread?
Maybe she has "other attributes" than her ability to spell. :naughty:

reader

Brilliant_Rock
My mom is another one of those who insists on trying on whatever you have, and then sticking fingerprints all over the stone, including a very deliberately placed fingerprint on the table. She then remarks that it 'doesn't sparkle so much now'.

My mom also irritates me with her profound hate of brown diamonds. She has tried, many times, to get me to smash my browns with a hammer (I wish I were kidding!) because browns are 'too cheap to be worn'

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
MC said:
Mine include:

* Men who wear any jewelry besides wedding band. I think men and rings, necklaces, etc: tacky

Wow, that's harsh! One wedding band. And if they're gay and live in a state where they can't legally marry, they can't wear any!

That seems kind of selfish of you who as a woman "can" wear any jewelry you want but, hey, it's your pet peeve, so right on!

klewis

Brilliant_Rock
Imdanny said:
MC said:
Mine include:

Wow, that's harsh! One wedding band. And if they're gay and live in a state where they can't legally marry, they can't wear any!

That seems kind of selfish of you who as a woman "can" wear any jewelry you want but, hey, it's your pet peeve, so right on!

Nah that's not harsh, it's plain sexism, as is this post

"2. Men who wear better jewelry than their women - I don't trust them and won't do any type of business with them."

Good grief!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results