shape
carat
color
clarity

Jeweler made custom ring too small- does resizing degrade the ring?

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

So this is more of a question about the manufacturing process of a custom engagement ring and whether or not resizing it degrades its quality.

I ordered a custom ring setting from WF- Its exactly the same as one of their inhouse solitaire designs but with the prongs rotated. Due to that request they said they had to make it custom.

I ordered a 6.75, but they accidentally made a 6. They now plan on resizing up to the 6.75 however based on my understanding I'm really unhappy that my custom made ring will now have been reworked before ever leaving the factory floor. Based on my current understanding, rather than being cast as a single piece of uniform platinum, it will now have foreign platinum soldered in.

I've also read that you can generally size a ring up or down about 1 size. So if this thing started at a 6, it could only ever really be resized up to a 7 which doesn't give her finger much room to grow from her current 6.75 over our lives.

So the root of the question is do you think a ring like this is actually custom cast? Or do they start with the closest off-the-self ring size and size it up or down from there and add the prongs in whatever orientation. I'd be less frustrated if that were the case- but if what I'm paying for is a custom poured ring to the exact size I want and I'm not getting that, I'd be more frustrate understandably. I of course will have this conversation with them in the morning, however, I got this call at 445pm as they were about to ship the ring.

Just looking to better understand the manufacturing process so I can understand the implications of the resize. Thanks for any help and advising!

Custom-Valoria-Petite-Six-Prong-Solitaire-Engagement-Ring-in-Platinum-by-Whiteflash_57614_5452...jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Resizing is more of an issue for pavé rings, a solitaire is not really an issue. Just ensure it is still in round, there is no tension on any other diamonds to pop out.

Additionally the important thing is they are adding platinum rather than just stretching it out.

I would firstly discuss these concerns with them, they will be more qualified in answering technical questions about their processes (which are not identical) and can offer the guarantees you need to hear. If you need to resize in the future, simply carry out the resizing with WF so that they can continue to be behind the product.

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Since they made the ring in the wrong size, I would express your concerns with resizing and ask that they recreate the setting.

I've read that it's best to limit the total number of resizes to about 4x due to the integrity of the ring with sizing.

You will probably be OK resizing the band, since it doesn't have pave. Many settings come in "stock" sizes like 6 and 8, and are sized to 6.5 or 7 even when it's ordered new.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resizing a ring up or down doesn’t “affect” the ring unless there are pave set diamonds in the band and/or more than 3 full sizes isn’t usually possible. The only issue with platinum can be that resizing leaves like a “seam” line. I presume if you receive the ring and aren’t happy with the finish / appearance you can send it back? Seeing as it was a custom order, I’m surprised that they didn’t ask you whether you preferred a remake (and it requiring additional time) or a resize which would be quicker.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have two different issues going on. The first is the ability to resize the ring properly. The second is feelings you are getting an inferior product because of the mishap.

WF is a very customer focused entity, and I believe they will work with you to resolve to your satisfaction.

I would have an honest conversation with them that while they may be able to resize the ring, it isn't what you expected or desired and ask if they can recreate for you. Of course be kind in your conversations and also realize that may result in additional time you have to wait.

@Texas Leaguer is their VP and will ensure it's handled properly.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although it may be disappointing to have to wait a bit longer to wear the ring, resizing a solitaire such as this will not be an issue. As long as the sizing is done seamlessly (pun intended), it's good.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there,

So this is more of a question about the manufacturing process of a custom engagement ring and whether or not resizing it degrades its quality.

I ordered a custom ring setting from WF- Its exactly the same as one of their inhouse solitaire designs but with the prongs rotated. Due to that request they said they had to make it custom.

I ordered a 6.75, but they accidentally made a 6. They now plan on resizing up to the 6.75 however based on my understanding I'm really unhappy that my custom made ring will now have been reworked before ever leaving the factory floor. Based on my current understanding, rather than being cast as a single piece of uniform platinum, it will now have foreign platinum soldered in.

I've also read that you can generally size a ring up or down about 1 size. So if this thing started at a 6, it could only ever really be resized up to a 7 which doesn't give her finger much room to grow from her current 6.75 over our lives.

So the root of the question is do you think a ring like this is actually custom cast? Or do they start with the closest off-the-self ring size and size it up or down from there and add the prongs in whatever orientation. I'd be less frustrated if that were the case- but if what I'm paying for is a custom poured ring to the exact size I want and I'm not getting that, I'd be more frustrate understandably. I of course will have this conversation with them in the morning, however, I got this call at 445pm as they were about to ship the ring.

A solitaire can be sized up or down more than 1 size. It's rings with prongs/pave that may have an issue with the amount of sizing up/down that may be done safely.

A custom ring like yours (prongs completely rotated) isn't stock.

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the feedback all. I'll be chatting with them shortly. I think you have captured my predicament well. This wouldn't be an issue had I went with an off the shelf ring, but as this is custom poured, it makes sense to request they remake it rather than resizing it. It's of course frustrating, but I'd rather wait and have it repoured properly than doing the quick fix as its literally a symbol of integrity and continuity and I dont want that disturbed before it leaves the factory floor.

I'd love to get @Texas Leaguer take on this. Thanks @sledge.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Hafrica13,
I apologize for your inconvenience and for your concerns. As other have said, sizing is a very standard process that is mainly limited by side stones in the shank. Solid shanks can be sized up or down with more flexibility.

In your case of going up from 6-6.75 a small piece of Platinum will be added to the shank. It will be fused with a laser welder. Since there will be no solder involved it will be seemless, and the ring will have full integrity.

Valoria is our newest designer line and features a Platinum/Ruthenium alloy. The sizing material piece will be of the same alloy, so there will be no sign that the ring has been sized, and it will be fully sizable in the future.

You can have full confidence in the sizing, but if you feel that only a remake will ease your mind and if you have the time, we will remake the ring you as the sizing error was our fault.

I believe Vera is actively in touch with you on the issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hafrica13

Rough_Rock
@Hafrica13,
I apologize for your inconvenience and for your concerns. As other have said, sizing is a very standard process that is mainly limited by side stones in the shank. Solid shanks can be sized up or down with more flexibility.

In your case of going up from 6-6.75 a small piece of Platinum will be added to the shank. It will be fused with a laser welder. Since there will be no solder involved it will be seemless, and the ring will have full integrity.

Valoria is our newest designer line and features a Platinum/Ruthenium alloy. The sizing material piece will be of the same alloy, so there will be no sign that the ring has been sized, and it will be fully sizable in the future.

You can have full confidence in the sizing, but if you feel that only a remake will ease your mind and if you have the time, we will remake the ring you as the sizing error was our fault.

I believe Vera is actively in touch with you on the issue. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for the reply! No problem, I understand mistakes happen and cannot hold it against you or the team. WF has been super responsive through this and I appreciate that.

I realize there is very little concern in the resizing process itself as a fix- but its still that- a fix. The issue comes more from a mind-clean perspective. A driving reason I chose WF and ordered a custom setting, was to know this ring was poured as a single piece specifically for her- and now there is an asterisk on it. I'd have no problem resizing a showroom ring up or down, but I didn't choose a showroom ring for that reason.

The issue is complicated further should we need to resize it after I present it to her- my brand new ring will now have been resized twice rather than once. I also, dont want to run into an upper limit should it need to be sized up in 15-20 years.

I realize Im being supremely particular but I've worked so hard for this and put so much time into this purchase that's its hard to swallow the fact that this ring needs fixed prior to leaving the door.

I'm communicating with Vera about the timeline for both options. I'd of course prefer it be remade to what I ordered and not fixed. But, it's been a long wait already and I'm not thrilled by the prospect of another month long wait. I also have made travel arrangements for her family to come into town beginning of March so there is a real deadline I need to consider and meet.

I appreciate your willingness to make it right and trust Vera and I will figure it out. Thank you again for your time and attention.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Texas Leaguer Just wanted to let you know I've received my ring and am super happy with the end result! Thanks WF!

Awesome news...now let me taunt you a little...we need some diamond ****....

e-needpics.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results