shape
carat
color
clarity

JbEG CADs are in! Poll & help request from keen eyes!

Yellow Gold or Platinum? Larger Sapphs or As Is?

• 1) Yellow Gold

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 2) Platinum

Votes: 26 70.3%
  • 3) Keep sapphs as is

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • 4) Make sapphs larger

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
for inquiring minds who might want to know :cheeky: : after much agonizing and a hearty game of mental ping-pong, i finally realized that my heart lay with the JbEG 'lisa' setting. the majority of you kind PSers who offered up your opinions for me were in favor of the ann mackay setting, and my family also agreed. but.... i found myself disappointed the 'lisa' didn't have the overwhelming edge, which i finally paid attention to. and while other gorgeous options were offered up and considered, i always found myself going back to the 'lisa', which i also finally paid attention to! :rodent: :)) i can't thank everyone who chimed in enough; you helped me sort through my thoughts and emotions and make sense of it all!!

so.... which do you like better, the yellow gold or the platinum and why? it will be a RHR; the diamond is a half carat, D color, august vintage round.

also, would you make the sapphs a little larger or keep them as is? if larger, by how much?

also, can i get everyone's thoughts on the CADs? any tweaks, concerns, suggestions? (one thing i know already, erica and i both agreed we would love milgrain on the bezels!)

TIA for your help!!!!!

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yellow gold

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
side view

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
platinum

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
side view

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a total yg girl but the platinum looks better on this ring to me.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby|1319152812|3044500 said:
I am a total yg girl but the platinum looks better on this ring to me.

I agree. The platinum really popped out at me.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Looks beautiful! If it were mine I would do the parts that hold the stones in platinum but the shank in gold. The best of both worlds in my opinion. Will the side stones be milgrained?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All platinum for me. And I'd do milgrain on those bezels. :))

I think I'd make the sapphires larger so you have the stones graduated.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prefer the platinum and think the design needs larger sapphires. I'd say about 3mm each.

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definitely platinum. I prefer larger sapphires also.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like yellow gold but for sapphires, I prefer white metals. I agree with the others that the sapphires need to be a bit larger.

Should be a pretty ring!

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
My vote is for platinum with larger sapphires. The buttercup style setting for your center stone is very pretty and the milgrain will look great, too.
I would also make the bezels much more narrow (more of a collet/collar around the stone than a full bezel). I've attached an attempt to illustrate this in photoshop -- the purple lines are where the bezels should end, IMO. I think it will look more elegant from the side, the culets of stones will be visible (which I think looks neat), and it may make it easier to clean.

rainyscad.jpg

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks SO much ladies!! i think i want to love the yg, but i know deep down the platinum is the safer/right choice for a variety of reasons. you all have helped confirm that!

AprilBaby & Laila - that's interesting that even for yg fans the platinum won out for you. that says a lot!

natascha - interesting idea, i hadn't even thought of doing that. i'll have to try and visualize it!

ds - i hear ya loud and clear, i think milgrain would be an amazing addition! i was thinking that having the stones be graduated would look nice, but now i am wondering if the sapphs being blue already would steal more attention from the center if they were larger? what do you think? my DH doesn't like the sapphs period which isn't helping me, but this isn't from him (it's from my parents) and i've always wanted them so :tongue:. :saint: i guess there is no harm in having CADs done up to see what i think.

gypsy - heya girl! how ya holding up these days? thank you for giving me a mm on the sapphs, i am clueless about that kind of thing and need all the help i can get!

alene & MissGotRocks - seems the larger sapphs won out by a landslide! MGR i totally agree, i usually head for the white metals but something about sapphs and yg just melts me... except on this one, it's not so cut and dried and i can't pinpoint why. maybe it just makes for too much going on in one small ring?

tsavvy - wow, thanks for the illusration! that's an interesting idea - i love seeing culets so it's appealing. i would just be worried about it being too delicate structurally, esp since i plan on wearing this daily on my right hand (i'm a righty). what do you think?

erica sent some smaller pics of it, i may as well post them! :)

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
rainydaze|1319203579|3044755 said:
thanks SO much ladies!! i think i want to love the yg, but i know deep down the platinum is the safer/right choice for a variety of reasons. you all have helped confirm that!
tsavvy - wow, thanks for the illusration! that's an interesting idea - i love seeing culets so it's appealing. i would just be worried about it being too delicate structurally, esp since i plan on wearing this daily on my right hand (i'm a righty). what do you think?

erica sent some smaller pics of it, i may as well post them! :)
I'd ask Erica to check with their jeweler regarding any structural issues. I have a ring with narrower bezels and it seems plenty sturdy for daily wear. It does look like you have some room to go up in size on the sapphires without taking away from the center stone's prominence. Good luck!

SneakyBF

Rough_Rock
Well Im in the minority. I said yellow gold with sapphs the same size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm good honey! Thank you for asking. I'd say 2.8 or 3mm. I think it's going to be a knock out!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't think larger sapphires would steal the show. In fact, I think they make the center stone stand out more because of the color contrast. I've looked at 3 stone rings with side sapphires, and it is one of my very favorite rings!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to just say it (feel free to ignore me), but I totally dislike the side profile of this ring. The center basket is beautiful
but the "empty area" under the side stones just looks like a disconnect to me. Like someone left out part of the design or that
the design of that part of the ring doesnt match the beauty of the center basket.

I'm not really sure how I would fix it though. Someone else did mention making the size of the bezels shorter which I think
would help. I think I would curve the bezel stones up more to meet more towards the top of the center stone and get rid of
the little donut holes in the bottom (just make it like more of the shank). I think I would start there.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thanks again tsavvy!

SneakyBF - thanks for weighing in! it's still a beautiful option, and i often find myself in the minority so we're in good company. :))

Gypsy - gosh i hope so! i asked for erica to render the next CADs with the saphs at 3mm per your suggestion, so we'll see how that looks. crossing my fingers!

ds - i'm so glad you think so! actually, reading your post made me sigh with relief. i was starting to doubt myself with having sapphs at all after looking at pics of the real ring on JbEG's site and just loving the double single cuts, but then your post reminded me that every time i have seen a ring with sapph sidestones it has been :love:. plus, that's what helps separate it from my wedding set and make it feel a little more RHR for me.

tyty - ok, i'm SO glad you said this! i couldn't agree more. i have asked them to make that area solid in the next round of CADs, which is something i had mentioned when we first got the project going. i like tsavvy's suggestion, but i kind of like a more weighty ring vs. a featherlight one, so i'd rather add metal than take metal away because it's already delicate (if that makes any sense). i have always gravitated towards rings that do just what you suggested vs. rings like this where it's open. i love a lot of ritani's designs for that very reason! something about it being open there bugs me, i'm not sure why. i really, really like your suggestion and hadn't thought of approaching it that way. i have already requested the next round of CADs so i guess i'll see how that looks and go from there; if i don't love it just filled in and solid i am going to ask about your suggestion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm... now that I think about it the small white diamond would need to be larger with 3mm. 2.5 might work better... have them play with it until it looks like a good compromise between the two diamonds.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yeah, gypsy i see your point. i don't have the measurement for the single cuts (waiting on it, ins needs it too) so i was basically guessing at what would look good myself, and your suggestion sounded about right. after your last post though it finally occurred to me to just measure on the screen.... in the smaller pic the diamond measures accurately, so it looks like the single cuts are 1.5mm. so yeah, 2.5mm might work better.

just thinking out loud here: what do you think of having the single cuts measure 2mm and the sapphs measure 3mm (diamond is just a hair under 5mm)? i'm thinking i love the single cuts and maybe having them a little larger would allow me to appreciate them more.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...more notes on the profile...I found this ring yesterday that shows the bezels enclosed.

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=3279

But also if you made the bezels a little steeper and had more of a lopsided triangle under the bezels you could do some
of those pretty sideway "S" curved metal parts.

Like these sort of (look at profile views)
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/products/design-2351
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/products/design-2328
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/products/design-2293
http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/products/design-1733 (this has little bezeled diamonds)

Lawsman

Rough_Rock
Here's the CAD of the setting being made now. All to scale. What do you think?

Ring.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
rainydaze|1319301721|3045469 said:
yeah, gypsy i see your point. i don't have the measurement for the single cuts (waiting on it, ins needs it too) so i was basically guessing at what would look good myself, and your suggestion sounded about right. after your last post though it finally occurred to me to just measure on the screen.... in the smaller pic the diamond measures accurately, so it looks like the single cuts are 1.5mm. so yeah, 2.5mm might work better.

just thinking out loud here: what do you think of having the single cuts measure 2mm and the sapphs measure 3mm (diamond is just a hair under 5mm)? i'm thinking i love the single cuts and maybe having them a little larger would allow me to appreciate them more.

I really like that idea Rainy! I think it would be beautiful!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the larger sapphires you chose. The only thing I would change is to have the shank of the ring taper a little towards the stones, I think this would complement the graduation of the stones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lawsman|1319317113|3045559 said:
Here's the CAD of the setting being made now. All to scale. What do you think?

That looks great but please start a new thread for comments on your CAD's! :))

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rainy, I looked back at the original Lisa setting and I am just not sure now. I do like the way that setting has the two small, equal size stones on either side. But it definitely looks more like an e-ring than a rhr. I am just not sure the alteration to graduated stones in bezels is going to look right with the buttercup center. The little diamonds in the original are more like diamond melee to decorate the shank of a solitaire as opposed to being a "5 stone" ring. I'm afraid don't have any great ideas to offer. Well, what about a 3 stone with equal size or slightly smaller sapphires and either have all three in bezels or all three in baskets? That is what I might do if I reset my .80 diamond into a ring.

One more question. Are you still planning to wear this on your middle rh finger? Because if so, that may change my mind.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious - interesting idea, thanks for the input!

ds - yes, i still plan on wearing it on my middle finger. i see your point about the buttercup - that element is probably the one that most drew me back to this setting. there is something about it that i love, so yeah, i don't want to go messing with the setting and have that get lost! i haven't ruled out keeping the design as-is - i do love it that way too. the larger sapphs was something that occurred to me initially because they will be my only sapphs, which i have always wanted, so i guess i am trying to maximize them! :cheeky: i guess it can't hurt to see what it would look like and if it doesn't look right, it doesn't look right! i like your three-stone idea, but damn i want them single cuts too, lol!! :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results