carat
color
clarity

James Allen ring needs recoating after 8 months

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Jim Schultz,

In the interest of trying to get this solved, I have a question for you: since you mentioned earlier that you can dictate the specific alloys to be used, would your manufacturer possibly be able to make a non-nickel white gold alloyed with palladium instead? I think you've been quite helpful here, so kudos.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1311340808|2974488 said:
You think a free exchange is what I am wishing for? Again don't put words in my mouth. I am NOT wishing for that and haven't even hinted at that. I was mad when I said they were junk.. I later said the rings are beautiful when done and thats the truth.. but if I have to maintain them every 3 months, I no longer like how well the rings hold up. If your tires went flat ever 3 months would you be ok with that even though others tires last 2 years? No. I am glad you think its a darn fine offer for them to ask me to pay $1,500 when had I done this when I ordered them it would it would have been $600. You pay them the 1,500 I don't have then.

I'm NOT trying to put words in your mouth. Simply stating that you want rings that don't require maintenance every three months isn't a solution. The answer is really what will you do to make that happen? So what are you IMPLYING? That you would willingly pay the $600 to get the platinum rings? Cause you haven't stated what you are WILLING to do. And that's what the problem is. JA gave you an offer. But you have only said no. You haven't clarified the solution that you WANT! I understand that this is an issue for you. But if I had those flat tires I'd have to figure out a way to solve it. If that meant I traded those tires in for *full* purchase price for better tires, then so be it. You simply haven't stated what you are willing to do or what you can afford to do or what you want JA to do for you. Simply stating you want rings that don't need maintenance every 3 months isn't enough. Lay it out there. Lay the numbers out there. Tell everyone what you think is the FAIR solution to this.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know how much you paid for your rings but I wonder if you could switch to a less expensive platinum setting and not
have to pay as much. Just throwing that out there as another possible option.

Can you tell us the name of your rings?

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
hoofbeats95|1311343096|2974515 said:
arcticcatmatt|1311340808|2974488 said:
You think a free exchange is what I am wishing for? Again don't put words in my mouth. I am NOT wishing for that and haven't even hinted at that. I was mad when I said they were junk.. I later said the rings are beautiful when done and thats the truth.. but if I have to maintain them every 3 months, I no longer like how well the rings hold up. If your tires went flat ever 3 months would you be ok with that even though others tires last 2 years? No. I am glad you think its a darn fine offer for them to ask me to pay $1,500 when had I done this when I ordered them it would it would have been $600. You pay them the 1,500 I don't have then.

I'm NOT trying to put words in your mouth. Simply stating that you want rings that don't require maintenance every three months isn't a solution. The answer is really what will you do to make that happen? So what are you IMPLYING? That you would willingly pay the $600 to get the platinum rings? Cause you haven't stated what you are WILLING to do. And that's what the problem is. JA gave you an offer. But you have only said no. You haven't clarified the solution that you WANT! I understand that this is an issue for you. But if I had those flat tires I'd have to figure out a way to solve it. If that meant I traded those tires in for *full* purchase price for better tires, then so be it. You simply haven't stated what you are willing to do or what you can afford to do or what you want JA to do for you. Simply stating you want rings that don't need maintenance every 3 months isn't enough. Lay it out there. Lay the numbers out there. Tell everyone what you think is the FAIR solution to this.

+1

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Folks,

Matt seems to be finished with this thread, so out of respect for his wishes I'm going to bow out as well. I appreciate all of the positive comments and suggestions and will work with Matt offline until we resolve this issue to his and Amanda's satisfaction.

All the best,

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Unbelievable. I want a spaceship that will fly me and my unicorn friend to the moon and back that runs on peanut butter and jam sandwiches. Meanwhile, i will keep driving my car.

Thread's closed? Without even a solution even though the VENDOR is here on the thread? I actually came on to reply appropriately after reading some of the other thread. Sigh.

Anyway, from what I can tell:
$600 is the figure being bandied about. $1200 was the original ring budget. The finished ring was $1900 and change - waaay more than originally planned but necessary to achieve the ends. Commendable that he wanted something perfect for his wife. Another $600 then? That would be $2500. More than 2x what his budget way. I say that platinum wasn't an option then either. Or if it had to be platinum, then the diamond wouldn't be the little firecracker that it is. Or there would be no pave AND the diamond would be slightly smaller. Or the ring would be less sturdy. Or something had to give. It did. He got the white gold.

Sorry it didn't work out. What you want is also impossible without more money.

The figure is only $800, not $1400 - due to the difference in costs (it would have cost $600 then too). I hope JA manages to make something give, so that they can close that figure for you, so that you can remember all over again the wonderment of your marriage. But if they can't... I know where they are coming from. And that is a fair place. Good luck with everything both. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1311271840|2973896 said:
I love Pricescope and this thread is a great example why.
You can call vendors onto the carpet and they can respond, as the world watches.

This is why buying from a PS vendor gives me more peace of mind than buying from a B&M down the street.

I take this back.
I still love PS but I now see what has transpired in this thread as abuse of PS.

The OP decreeing the thread is hereby closed after using this public forum to bad mouth and successfully $#*! over a respected vendor is shameful.

Mr. Schultz I'm sorry this happened to you.

I realize my writing is blunt, but I think I'm just writing what many people are thinking.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1311346844|2974558 said:
You can call vendors onto the carpet and they can respond, as the world watches.

This is why buying from a PS vendor gives me more peace of mind than buying from a B&M down the street.

I take this back.
I still love PS but I now see what has transpired in this thread as abuse of PS.

The OP decreeing the thread is hereby closed after using this public forum to bad mouth and successfully $#*! over a respected vendor is shameful.

I realize my writing is blunt, but I think I'm just writing what many people are thinking.

Agreed.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock

I take this back.

I'd disagree that the apparent attempt by the OP was successful. Anyone who bothers to read the entire thread will, I think, have a pretty clear picture of what the OP's probable motive was, and draw their own conclusions, especially when the vendor's response was so immediate and generous. It isn't James Allen and company that ends up looking bad, IMO.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311348519|2974580 said:

I take this back.

I'd disagree that the apparent attempt by the OP was successful.
Anyone who bothers to read the entire thread will, I think, have a pretty clear picture of what the OP's probable motive was, and draw their own conclusions, especially when the vendor's response was so immediate and generous.
It isn't James Allen and company that ends up looking bad, IMO.

Had the OP privately contacted JA the deal would not be so sweet for the OP.
He would have only gotten what was fair.

After using PS the two parties have taken it offline where IMO JA will graciously improve the deal for the OP just to end this unfortunate episode.

That is success for the OP.
He knows what he's doing.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1311348907|2974587 said:
The two parties have taken it offline where IMO JA will graciously improve the deal for the OP just to end this unfortunate episode.

I'm sure you're right about that, Kenny, but so far as the public record on PS goes, it's still not James Allen who looks bad, and there's a kind of cosmic justice in that. I sincerely doubt that this is the first time JA has had to deal with a, umm, challenging client, but as far as I am concerned, JA handled it like the ethical pros they are.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311349368|2974592 said:
kenny|1311348907|2974587 said:
The two parties have taken it offline where IMO JA will graciously improve the deal for the OP just to end this unfortunate episode.

I'm sure you're right about that, Kenny, but so far as the public record on PS goes, it's still not James Allen who looks bad, and there's a kind of cosmic justice in that.
I sincerely doubt that this is the first time JA has had to deal with a, umm, challenging client, but as far as I am concerned, JA handled it like the ethical pros they are.

I agree completely.
I just wonder if PS needs to add a policy rule to address using PS in such unethical ways.

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Why is this still continuing? I came here in hopes of figuring out why this keeps happening. I also said that when I made these purchases I was informed that I would have to do this every few years. You guys are assuming I don't speak to JA outside this forum. I have emails from months before I posted here in this thread. I did not come here to hang them out to dry. Matter of fact, the ONLY thing they have ever done wrong is tell me 2 years to replate. If I ever told "It could be every 3 months" I would have never went white gold. Heck I thought these rings were white gold plated in shiny Rhoidum.

I design car parts.. not rings. Now I know the facts but I had to post here and listen to what you all posted with photos and things to know that there isn't a such thing as white gold or whatever you want to call it in the industry.

I posted in my thread from last year that JA service was top notch, I posted videos on their facebook page of my proposal, I sent them a couple new customers I know of that are friends of mine.. I even said in this thread that the rings are beautiful when done. I did get mad once at people jumping on me and accusing me and retaliated with saying anything that needs maintenance every 3 months is junk. I shouldn't have said 'junk'.. I should have said "definitely not something I would have paid so much money for".

In an email from JA from back in March when I complained of the 3 month wear for the second time (I complained about the Ering about 6 months after she wore it and in march I complained about the wedding ring that was on her finger for 5 months and looked horrible) I was sent back "Since we use 18kt white gold in all of our rings, there is a higher gold content than retailers who use 14kt. The higher content of yellow gold makes the ring appear to be more yellow faster than if it had been made with a lower content." Perhaps as a consumer I should have been made aware of that before the sale instead of being told 1-2 years for replating.

This was not a misuse of the forum but there was/is alot of miscommuncations and assumptions. I don't dislike JA. I just think I should have not been told what I was told. Would I buy a ring from them again? Yes.. but it would not be in white gold. I was called a "challenging client" from one of you. Look, I was told one thing and the polar opposite happened so yeah I am disappointed in that. Call that challenging if you want but I call it misinformed.

You see, you guys understand jewelery and rings and all that jazz. I do not, I am a guy into things with motors and things that shoot, hence why I came here and hence why I spoke in length with JA via email and on the phone. You guys think that should have known it could only last 3-6 months, when in fact the layman does not know that, he only knows what he is told and I was told it lasted way longer. So if by me saying that makes you think I am hanging JA out to dry then so be it.. thats that they told me on the phone and it was false. I will say it again, that is the only part of the transaction that was poor.. well that and they called me at home when Amanda was home with a question and she almost answered the phone :)

I appreciate JA for replying in this thread and I also appreciate the offer that was made. But what I would appreciate more is that the truth be on your site with a time frame that says these rings could lose their plating in as little as 3 months. Maybe the next guy won't be as surprised and taken by this as I am. If I had known that from the get go I would have downgraded the rock and ordered the set in a different metal.

The rings were sent out yesterday to be replated again.

So to the person that wanted an "ending".. Ending was consumer got told 2 years, rings go bad in 3 months. JS told consumer $2,600 via email to them redone in platinum stating the melee diamonds can't be reused and I have to buy all new. Consumer updated his old thread on PS. JA sees this and replies offering $1,417 to get them in platinum. Consumer thanks JA but declines. PS members jump on consumer for random reasons thinking he should have known the plating could only last 3 months and that he is trying to call JA out on the carpet. Consumer currently cannot afford this upgrade and in closing asks that JA put the time frame on their website as plating can go bad in as little as 3 months so future consumers are better educated on this "white gold" process.

Thats it, thats your ending. If you are not satisfied I am sorry.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I wish you had a better ending for yourself.

More than that I wish you both move forward. I'm sure you know the past can't be changed, but hope the future gets better.

Have a good one.

thelostcity

Rough_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1311352388|2974631 said:
I was sent back "Since we use 18kt white gold in all of our rings, there is a higher gold content than retailers who use 14kt. The higher content of yellow gold makes the ring appear to be more yellow faster than if it had been made with a lower content." Perhaps as a consumer I should have been made aware of that before the sale instead of being told 1-2 years for replating.

Okay, you've said that JA's claim of 1-2 years for replating is your only beef with them. Now, I'm sure there is no proof either way of what was conveyed or it would have been brought out by now, and memories can be faulty and all that (I do mean the memories of everyone involved in this), so that is a moot point. But it is common knowledge (especially for someone buying jewelry, I would hope) that 18kt gold has more gold content than 14kt gold. And gold is yellow. Thus, it seems rather clear to me that a white gold alloy made of a higher percentage of (yellow) gold would look more yellow than the 14kt version; I don't feel as if the jeweler should be held responsible for not having pointed out this fact to me.

Now, I understand that you are/were upset because your impression of white gold ended up conflicting with the reality of it. I really do empathize; my girlfriend's promise ring was purchased in white gold, and the B&M jeweler said nothing about it needing to be replated at all. And while I of course feel that it would've been considerate of the jeweler to have pointed out this fact beforehand, I realize that I am partially to blame for not having done more research on white gold beforehand. This was before I had even found PS, so I didn't have the benefit of all the information available here (including guides/threads on white gold and plating and all that). But you were here posting at least at the point when you were first getting your engagement ring, so I do feel as if you should accept some fault for not having read up on the potential plating issues beforehand. Instead, you came on here now with a complaint against JA based on the "1-2 years for replating" comment (which cannot be proven or disproven), while eschewing all responsibility for the situation. I think this is why many of the posters here have accused you of being difficult/challenging. I do not expect a response to this, but I hope that perhaps you will consider it when looking over the entire messy situation. And regardless, I do wish you all the best in the future.

(Tristan, I must look like a terrible person next to you now :wink2: , but I've spent a long time composing this, and I feel it needs to be said)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to the person that wanted an "ending".. Ending was consumer got told 2 years, rings go bad in 3 months. JS told consumer $2,600 via email to them redone in platinum stating the melee diamonds can't be reused and I have to buy all new. Consumer updated his old thread on PS. JA sees this and replies offering $1,417 to get them in platinum. Consumer thanks JA but declines. PS members jump on consumer for random reasons thinking he should have known the plating could only last 3 months and that he is trying to call JA out on the carpet. Consumer currently cannot afford this upgrade and in closing asks that JA put the time frame on their website as plating can go bad in as little as 3 months so future consumers are better educated on this "white gold" process.

That's a shame, Matt. A bunch of us have posted some really good options to you (besides upgrading to platinum which is out of the budget), but it seems like you're ignoring them? :confused:

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I don't want to disgress too much, but it may be good for the industry to explain better what is being sold to the consumers: not everyone take the time to educate themselves with a website like Pricescope, and the way white gold is advertised today may be confusing for a lot of people.

Shouldn't white gold be advertised as Rhodium plated White Gold instead?

Before I bought my first WG ring it had never occured to me that there could be such a thing as rhodium plating...I happen not to wear that ring very often, but had it been otherwise it would have made me quite upset to see the change in color.

I know some jewellers have started selling non plated White gold and Grey gold. I bought a Grey gold ring, at first I was disappointed it was not so shiny as WG but then I got used to it and I really liked the fact that "what you see is what you get"...the color of my ring never changed and I've been wearing for several years almost daily.

It would avoid a lot of disappointment if the rhodium plating was stated as such (again, may people buy a rhodium plated ring believing that it's WG true color) and also if consumers were given the choice between plated/non plated.

Just my 2 cent though...I don't mean to give lessons to anyone!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Matt, I would strongly recommend trying out the rings sans plating. If you cannot and/or don't want to put any more money into this, I totally get it. Next three months when the plating wears down again, ask a local jeweler to strip the rest of the plating off and polish it. Let Amanda wear it for a bit and then decide if you want to go back to plating the thing constantly again. Honestly, the difference between modern low-nickel "white gold" with the rhodium plating partially worn and the ring scratched up, versus it nice and polished and completely plate-free, is big. The first looks shabby and clearly not right IMO, the second looks like it's supposed to be the way it and is a pretty, attractive metal in it's own right. Perfect solution? Maybe, maybe not, but it wouldn't cost you a dime to try it most likely and you can *always* plate it again if you don't like it. It really isn't as yellow looking when it doesn't have partially worn rhodium contrasting with it- it's creamy. I've worn unplated white gold and never had anyone mistake it for yellow gold on me.

Alternatively, I really do think you need to come up with an idea of what you want besides a time machine ;)) and ask for it (politely). Worst you can be told is no, right?

NARRISHKEIT

Rough_Rock
Trade
Why is this still continuing? I came here in hopes of figuring out why this keeps happening. I also said that when I made these purchases I was informed that I would have to do this every few years. You guys are assuming I don't speak to JA outside this forum. I have emails from months before I posted here in this thread. I did not come here to hang them out to dry. Matter of fact, the ONLY thing they have ever done wrong is tell me 2 years to replate. If I ever told "It could be every 3 months" I would have never went white gold. Heck I thought these rings were white gold plated in shiny Rhoidum.

I design car parts.. not rings. Now I know the facts but I had to post here and listen to what you all posted with photos and things to know that there isn't a such thing as white gold or whatever you want to call it in the industry.

I posted in my thread from last year that JA service was top notch, I posted videos on their facebook page of my proposal, I sent them a couple new customers I know of that are friends of mine.. I even said in this thread that the rings are beautiful when done. I did get mad once at people jumping on me and accusing me and retaliated with saying anything that needs maintenance every 3 months is junk. I shouldn't have said 'junk'.. I should have said "definitely not something I would have paid so much money for".

In an email from JA from back in March when I complained of the 3 month wear for the second time (I complained about the Ering about 6 months after she wore it and in march I complained about the wedding ring that was on her finger for 5 months and looked horrible) I was sent back "Since we use 18kt white gold in all of our rings, there is a higher gold content than retailers who use 14kt. The higher content of yellow gold makes the ring appear to be more yellow faster than if it had been made with a lower content." Perhaps as a consumer I should have been made aware of that before the sale instead of being told 1-2 years for replating.

This was not a misuse of the forum but there was/is alot of miscommuncations and assumptions. I don't dislike JA. I just think I should have not been told what I was told. Would I buy a ring from them again? Yes.. but it would not be in white gold. I was called a "challenging client" from one of you. Look, I was told one thing and the polar opposite happened so yeah I am disappointed in that. Call that challenging if you want but I call it misinformed.

You see, you guys understand jewelery and rings and all that jazz. I do not, I am a guy into things with motors and things that shoot, hence why I came here and hence why I spoke in length with JA via email and on the phone. You guys think that should have known it could only last 3-6 months, when in fact the layman does not know that, he only knows what he is told and I was told it lasted way longer. So if by me saying that makes you think I am hanging JA out to dry then so be it.. thats that they told me on the phone and it was false. I will say it again, that is the only part of the transaction that was poor.. well that and they called me at home when Amanda was home with a question and she almost answered the phone :)

I appreciate JA for replying in this thread and I also appreciate the offer that was made. But what I would appreciate more is that the truth be on your site with a time frame that says these rings could lose their plating in as little as 3 months. Maybe the next guy won't be as surprised and taken by this as I am. If I had known that from the get go I would have downgraded the rock and ordered the set in a different metal.

The rings were sent out yesterday to be replated again.

Thats it, thats your ending. If you are not satisfied I am sorry.

Matt,

Good summary and really that should be the end of this discussion, you can't afford to upgrade so any other option is pointless at this point. You may even consider having JA strip the rhodium and polish as was suggested by LGK.

I don't agree with many of the other posters in this thread, I abhor PS vendor fanism and I don't agree that anyone here has the right to demand you follow their advice or give them a response.

For now get the ring replated when you need to, its fantastic that it is free, other places charge $50 - $200 to do this. If and when you are ready to upgrade to platinum I hope you keep on good terms with Mr. Schultz at James Allen so he might give you some consideration when you can afford to do so.

I think that the miscommunication or possibly misinformation that you had with the sales associate regarding WG should be worked on at James Allen and I'm pretty sure they will do so considering how public this story has become, however you were informed that it would have to replated at some point so you have to accept partial responsibility for your purchase decision of 18kt WG.

Most consumers are not as educated as Pricescopers and I'm sure this isn't the first or last time this issue will come up.

Best of Luck

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Why is this still continuing? I came here in hopes of figuring out why this keeps happening. I also said that when I made these purchases I was informed that I would have to do this every few years. You guys are assuming I don't speak to JA outside this forum. I have emails from months before I posted here in this thread. I did not come here to hang them out to dry. Matter of fact, the ONLY thing they have ever done wrong is tell me 2 years to replate.
False. You disproved this statement yourself:

arcticcatmatt|1311338935|2974471 said:
Here are the facts

1. I was told the plating would look fine for a long time and the average was up to 2 years. I was told then when I was talking with them about white gold vs platinum

I mean - come on. Enough's enough.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
On the James Allem website the following is stated" "In time howevever, white gold tends to wear thin, showing the natural color of the white gold beneath."

Then in response to a question asked, Mr. Schultz stated: "We work with a select group of "boutique" manufacturers and many of their lines are made exclusively for JA. We have the ability to dictate the exact alloys being used and have relatively few complaints about yellowing in 18kt designs. With that said, it's always easier to address a problem before it arises, thus the disclosures in our FAQ.[/quote]

Based on these two statments, I, contrary to what has been posted on here, would NOT realize that plating over 18k gold is as such a big problem as it appears to be. Remember, not everone is as well versed in jewelry and diamonds as you people are. Mr. Schultz' website is ambiguous and his response to the question tends to downplay the problem, imo.

I have been reading a lot on here lately, and I have seen people complain about issues with their rings that were really picky. But the response has always been the same in that people should be happy with their jewely. Some of you think that $1,400+ to convert to platinum would be more than fair, but for some of us that is a mortgage payment and would be out of the question, so I can understand the OP's reluctance. Replating over and over again, even for free, is time consuming and nonproductive since it does not hold. Not wearing the rings together is odd because most people wear their engagement ring and band as a set. This couple is obviously between a rock and a hard place on what to do. I just think some of you have been a bit unfair and unsympathetic in dealing with this issue, demanding that they come up with a solution that is not that great either way they turn.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1311338935|2974471 said:
So it appears that we will keep sending these in every 3-6 months for now... with disgust. Perhaps JA shouldn't be telling people what I was told and perhaps (since they have blamed it on 18k) they shouldn't be plating 18k if it doesn't adhere well.

For the sake of consumer education, I feel compelled to point out that this statement is false. The rhodium plating adheres to 18kt gold just fine. The issue is the color of the base metal. Gold in jewelery is an alloy and gold used in white gold jewelry is typically alloyed with white metals to give the base metal a whitish appearance. 14kt gold rings usually don't yellow as much as 18k gold rings because the base metal in the 14kt gold rings is usually more white than that in the 18kt gold ring. Gold is yellow, a higher gold content will cause the base metal to be more yellow, and the ring to appear more yellow when the rhodium plating wears off.

They're not yellowing because the rhodium doesn't stick to 18kt gold, they're yellowing because 18kt gold is more yellow than lower carat gold.

I agree that yellowing rings would be really frustrating. I just can't think of a good solution that would be totally fair to both parties.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What if JA were to put additional education on their site that WG may need replating in as little as 3 months?
Won't many customers go to Whiteflash and GOG who don't mention anything (that I could find yesterday) about the subject?

This means JA gets penalized for being more truthful and helpful.
Remember, most customers are NOT educated about this.

This is another one of those dilemmas (like the too-thin rings) where vendors do not want to scare away nervous customers with inconvenient truths.
Websites are designed to calm fears not fan them.

What's a responsible vendor to do?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not a fan of the James Allen company since I've never purchased from them, although based on this thread and the way this issue was handled on their end I'd certainly consider it in the future. I was impressed.

For me, the larger issue is that if PS is a consumer forum, the onus is on the consumer, including the OP in this thread, to be informed, and not shift the responsibility for the decisions made onto somebody else. The OP in this thread said himself that he was told that rhodium plating could last up to 2 years. That later morphed into, in his mind, some kind of implied guarantee, apparently. Unless the rings in question were sent to him with a written guarantee that the plating would last that long, I can't imagine where he got the idea it would in every case. A very cursory search on this forum of "replating white gold" turned up multiple threads on this very issue, with many posters giving their experiences. In the threads I read there was always a range given, from a very few months, to several years. This reminds me of the threads I've seen where someone has paid for platinum because (in their opinion) it's the best, and then been outraged that it developed a patina. It's not as though the fact white gold needs to be replated, or platinum patinas are obscure facts.

It seems to me that it might be appropriate to have a reminder at the top of the RT forum (unless there is one already) that it is up to posters who ask for advice and feedback to do their own research, and then make an informed decision.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1311355708|2974664 said:

That's a shame, Matt. A bunch of us have posted some really good options to you (besides upgrading to platinum which is out of the budget), but it seems like you're ignoring them? :confused:

So let me get this straight. You were originally quoted 2600 and they cut that in half for you and you still declined the offer b/c you feel that is too much. As a car part manufacturer, if you sold an item to a customer that they chose from a group of options, and that they knew had a possibility of say.... clicking after a certain period of time, and they came back at least a year later and said they were dissatisfied because the item was clicking, would you just GIVE them a more expensive part that was guaranteed not to click? Or further, would you give that part to the person under cost? I think you're being unreasonable on that front.

As to the re rhodium every few months. The way I see it, you're saving quite a bit just to ship it to them, and have it re plated for free, vs paying locally. If the rhodium is only wearing on the bottom then you don't HAVE to have it done every 3 months, that is your choice because YOU don't like that little bit on the bottom, but no one else sees that.

I don't think anyone has tried to put words in your mouth. You came to a forum and voiced an opinion and others either agreed or disagreed. At this point though you are continuing to be negative, even if you don't mean to be, when you should simply be finding a resolution that suits you. Unfortunately you've made it seem as though you aren't willing to come to any kind of terms, so I do hope you are able to. To you and your wife both, I would like to mention though that your wedding rings are not your marriage. They are just rings at the end of the day. Don't let them be a burden on you.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Aoife|1311360804|2974733 said:
I'm not a fan of the James Allen company since I've never purchased from them, although based on this thread and the way this issue was handled on their end I'd certainly consider it in the future. I was impressed.

+1

I haven't purchased from them either. But I did browse their site today. I was impressed as well and wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them in the future.

timslin

Rough_Rock
I think this forum post also highlights one of the main disadvantages about buying from an online PS vendor compared to a reputable local jewelry store. Local jewelry stores are just much more convenient to have rings replated and serviced. There are also no shipping costs making the entire process free and less painful.

I bought platinum for my SO's ring for this specific reason. I bought online and specifically didn't want to have to ship my ring in frequently(and patina doesn't bother me at all). I actually prefer the look of WG over platinum and would have definitely bought a WG ring if I had purchased the ring at a local store.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
timslin|1311363882|2974767 said:
I think this forum post also highlights one of the main disadvantages about buying from an online PS vendor compared to a reputable local jewelry store. Local jewelry stores are just much more convenient to have rings replated and serviced. There are also no shipping costs making the entire process free and less painful.

I bought platinum for my SO's ring for this specific reason. I bought online and specifically didn't want to have to ship my ring in frequently(and patina doesn't bother me at all). I actually prefer the look of WG over platinum and would have definitely bought a WG ring if I had purchased the ring at a local store.

That is a very legitimate point.

Still, I think, if you do your homework and buy smartly, you can get such a better diamond at such a better price online (compared to what most local B&Ms sell) that it would take a few lifetimes of $30 re-plating shipping bills to make it a wash.

Plus, I've checked around Los Angeles and all the jewelers say if they sell me a WG ring any future re-plating will NOT be free.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
ruby59|1311358682|2974698 said:
On the James Allem website the following is stated" "In time howevever, white gold tends to wear thin, showing the natural color of the white gold beneath."

Then in response to a question asked, Mr. Schultz stated: "We work with a select group of "boutique" manufacturers and many of their lines are made exclusively for JA. We have the ability to dictate the exact alloys being used and have relatively few complaints about yellowing in 18kt designs. With that said, it's always easier to address a problem before it arises, thus the disclosures in our FAQ.

Based on these two statments, I, contrary to what has been posted on here, would NOT realize that plating over 18k gold is as such a big problem as it appears to be. Remember, not everone is as well versed in jewelry and diamonds as you people are. Mr. Schultz' website is ambiguous and his response to the question tends to downplay the problem, imo.

I have been reading a lot on here lately, and I have seen people complain about issues with their rings that were really picky. But the response has always been the same in that people should be happy with their jewely. Some of you think that $1,400+ to convert to platinum would be more than fair, but for some of us that is a mortgage payment and would be out of the question, so I can understand the OP's reluctance. Replating over and over again, even for free, is time consuming and nonproductive since it does not hold. Not wearing the rings together is odd because most people wear their engagement ring and band as a set. This couple is obviously between a rock and a hard place on what to do. I just think some of you have been a bit unfair and unsympathetic in dealing with this issue, demanding that they come up with a solution that is not that great either way they turn.

Just to address the former red highlighted, it is very uncommon for someone to need replating every 3 months. But not unheard of, especially if they want their rings to look like new always, which is their perogative. Kittybean has this issue with some of her white gold jewelery. I have seen others on PS complain about it. But most people wear white gold much longer without replating and have no trouble, as reported by many in this thread. Buying white gold means you accept that you may have to maintain the jewelery, and you could get unlucky and have to do that more often like the OP.

Concerning the latter highlighted, many other options have been presented. And the OPs have not once said what they would make them happy. Maybe there is a good solution, but the OPs seem really uninterested in finding it.

Of note more generally, I have seen a threads like this with people complaining about platinum scratching and being so irate they were not told about the issue before buying.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1311355708|2974664 said:

I agree Laila and it makes me sad to see that the OP seems so uninterested in actually finding a solution. Palladium in particular was a good solution that would not have cost very much more I bet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results