shape
carat
color
clarity

James Allen ring needs recoating after 8 months

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1311295864|2974191 said:
My advice to the OP would be to take JA's offer for either 1. lower kt WG with nickel alloy; 2. Palladium alloy for WG (although palladium has it's own pitfalls), or 3. platinum. Options 1 & 2 would be cheaper than option 3.

All excellent suggestions.

Another possibility is to ask them to only charge you the difference between wg and platinum at the prices listed 2 years ago. Platinum has always been more expensive than wg, and so even 2 years ago there was a difference in price you would have incurred if you went that route.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1311281799|2974035 said:
Dreamer_D|1311276613|2973968 said:
I wonder if James Allen can come back and tell us what type of allow they use on that ring or on all their rings? Before we assume anything like this bolded?

I agree, this is a consumer awareness issue.

JA probably bought it from a stock setting manufacturer and JA do not have much choice in what alloy is used other than what the manufacturer use.

But they could find out the alloy used and let us know, in the interest of education.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not JA's fault platinum has gone up, and JA has to PAY today's price for it.
When things sell today they sell for today's price, houses, gold, diamonds, platinum, gas.

JA has already made generous offer.
They didn't even have to offer $150 scrap value for their old set.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
They could, depends on if the manufacturer wants to reveal it.

Manufacturer only uses certain type of alloy because of casting process. If you want a certain setting, and it is only available in that alloys, that all you can work with, be it the vendor or the consumer, unless you want to custom it and increase the cost significantly.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Matt & Amanda,

As many of these last posts have suggested, let us know how we can make this right for you. I thought my offer was fair and reasonable, but if you have another suggestion we are willing to listen. This is your wedding set and we want you to love the rings as much today as you did when you first got engaged.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1311296960|2974210 said:
It's not JA's fault platinum has gone up, and JA has to PAY today's price for it.
When things sell today they sell for today's price, houses, gold, diamonds, platinum, gas.

JA has already made generous offer.
They didn't even have to offer $150 scrap value for their old set.

I totally agree. I meant to add to my post:
"I do agree that the offer by JA is generous, but I can also totally understand the OP's POV as none of this was expected-- not within 2-3months anyway & not for $1400 more vs what would have been $600." ... BUT it is not JA's fault for the increase in prices as well.

I think this is a testament to the PS vendors' -- & more specifically, this vendor's commitment to great customer service. And this thread has provided different choices for utilizing this generous offer for the OP.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Stone-cold11|1311297265|2974214 said:
They could, depends on if the manufacturer wants to reveal it.

Manufacturer only uses certain type of alloy because of casting process. If you want a certain setting, and it is only available in that alloys, that all you can work with, be it the vendor or the consumer, unless you want to custom it and increase the cost significantly.

Stone,

We work with a select group of "boutique" manufacturers and many of their lines are made exclusively for JA. We have the ability to dictate the exact alloys being used and have relatively few complaints about yellowing in 18kt designs. With that said, it's always easier to address a problem before it arises, thus the disclosures in our FAQ.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mr. Schultz, what do your representatives tell customers to expect regarding the timeframe range of re plating of white gold?
Will you be adding a time frame range to your FAQ?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
AmandaLeigh|1311275573|2973950 said:
kenny|1311272444|2973907 said:
arcticcatmatt|1311272121|2973902 said:
Thanks for the replies including the one from JA. I am not trying to call anyone out with this thread or point fingers just trying to figure it out. I have my wife telling me to do enough things and these rings looking bad gets brought up daily and that adds to my honey do list :loopy:
I see todays prices for the platinum rings are much higher than when I bought these a year or so ago..about 50%. The offer I got via email was for me to pay $1,417 (todays price). So offer is to give these rings back at the old much lower price and buy new rings at today's much higher price.

That was a very generous offer that JA did NOT have to give you.

Don't be greedy.
Be thankful and gracious and stop whining!

Hey Kenny, did you not read the agreement when you signed up for PriceScope? I just did when I signed up it basically said don't be a jerk to others and show respect and well you are being very rude. Guess what the offer was generous but still not a great deal considering we would still have to pay today's prices (which is almost double what they were 2 years ago and we WOULD have purchased had we been told that this would happen EVERY 3 months). He's not whining, I AM. They are my WEDDING rings and they should look great and I should be able to show them off, not be embarrassed because the plating wears off less than every 3 months and they look like crap.

I post on PS to be objective, and to assist people in seeing alternative points of view. Not to be a cheerleader.

You are both very upset. We know that and we can easily emphatise as to why. I am really sorry you have to go through this whole thing.

You are both feeling 'cheated'. I think all of us get that too - if that was what was expressedly communicated to you. But even then, in the real world, when you buy something it SOMETIMES comes with a warranty (expressly stated or implied) that has a Time Limit. And there are also a million exclusions in said warranty.

James Allen has pretty much come forth and said that they are sorry for what has happened, in a case that is by no means unique. If you read all the other posts - tons of people have the exact same issues that you have, but they STILL buy white gold, or they STILL replate every few months. In fact, from your posts James Allen seems to also replate for you at little to no cost to you. What the postal service earns isn't wired to James Allen. They are offering a fix that equals or betters practically any vendor's conditions that you can find in any store.

No store I know has a "buy it now and if it tarnishes we will replate till such time that you feel it is a ridiculously large effort in maintenance then send it back to us we will absorb the loss of the time and workmanship spent on your custom setting as well as the scrap value of your original alloyed ring and replace it with a new setting made in the material of your choice priced in at the time of your purchase even if there was a 50% increase in the price of base materials which we will also absorb and we will do the workmanship again for free to boot" policy.

I for one think that their offer to assist is more than fair. This thread actually places them back in good standing, and shows that they care about their customers. Just ask yourself, if the price of platinum today fell to 30% of the price you paid 2 years ago, would you be willing to take up their offer to price the replacement at the price of platinum at the time you purchased?

If you want to be difficult about it, I'm sorry. It has been explained to you by a lot of people that the offer is fair in a very pleasant helpful, cheerful and commiserative language/tone. But you don't think so.

I'm with Kenny on this one. But at the same time, I hope you find a reasonable resolution.

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
kenny|1311303432|2974280 said:
Mr. Schultz, what do your representatives tell customers to expect regarding the timeframe range of re plating of white gold?
Will you be adding a time frame range to your FAQ?

Kenny,

Both of these questions crossed my mind this evening, but I won't have answers tonight. I've asked our Training Manager to check our internal documents to see what we are teaching the CSR's, but I'm afraid an exact timescale may never have been specified. That being the case, 6-12 months (on average) will become the answer.

Regarding the FAQ, I see no harm in adding a timescale to our answer, although I hate to scare people way from white gold. My wife wears white gold rings that have lost their rhodium shine, but like many other people, she doesn't seem to mind. The rings are still beautiful, just not as white.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Mr. Schultz.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Perhaps your posted reply should go as is into the FAQ. It seems to cover the depth of the issues anyway. Most people I know don't ever replate their white gold locally. It is just a characteristic of the material to them.

I find it absolutely asinine that a company would have to put something more specific than "rhodium will need to be re-plated depending on wear, body chemistry and cleaning techniques." I mean.............. duh. If the rhodium bothers someone, then don't get it. If the yellow color of un-plated white gold bothers someone then get platinum. Or palladium. Or silver. Or tin foil. Whatever works.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
bean|1311307504|2974322 said:
I find it absolutely asinine that a company would have to put something more specific than "rhodium will need to be re-plated depending on wear, body chemistry and cleaning techniques." I mean.............. duh. If the rhodium bothers someone, then don't get it. If the yellow color of un-plated white gold bothers someone then get platinum. Or palladium. Or silver. Or tin foil. Whatever works.

You DO know that your McDonald's hot coffee cup has:
"CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!" running all around it right?

Some people are just ...

Oh wait... i just realised. I should look for a lawyer because my kitchen knife doesn't have caution sharp all along the blade and I nicked myself last week.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read the whole thread, just the first and last few, but I think I get the gist of what's going on.

I must agree that Jim's offer is more than generous. I am sorry to the OP that your wife's ring has turned yellow-ish; and it is indeed bad luck that prices of precious metals have gone up so much.

FYI, I have both platinum and WG (18k and 14k) in my jewellery and as much as I love the look of brand new WG, I've finally decided that I have no choice but to wear platinum and to only buy pt from now on (unless a particular vendor does not offer pt and they are local, so I could do the replating with ease and as often as I'd like) because my body reacts negatively to WG after just a few months' of wear - and like yr wife, I baby *all* my jewellery, never wear it at home, whilst I'm working out, when I'm carrying anything heavy and I avoid contacts with all and any chemicals etc.

TristanC|1311307755|2974327 said:
bean|1311307504|2974322 said:

You DO know that your McDonald's hot coffee cup has:
"CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!CAUTION HOT!" running all around it right?

Some people are just ...

Oh wait... i just realised. I should look for a lawyer because my kitchen knife doesn't have caution sharp all along the blade and I nicked myself last week.

Coffee? Hot? HOT HOT HOT? :twisted:
:lol: I suppose spilling a cup in my crotch why driving away from the drive-thru won't give me leverage in a lawsuit then :sun: Darn. I was looking forward to some extra $$ for diamonds.

alvina

Rough_Rock
you can get it polished again... but i don't think there is any permanent solution to it...

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Sometimes you just have to understand that the worst things can happen to you - that's just life. Nothing comes with a lifetime guarantee, and you have to accept that some things are beyond yours or the vendor's control. I can understand where the OPs are coming from - it's not easy paying a large sum for something that you expect to last years, and then have it fail just months after, it's irritating and frustrating. But I can also see where the PSers are coming from too, explanations have been given, suggestions have been made, and even James Allen has made an offer that not many vendors are willing to provide for customers. Others would just brush it off and tell you to get it replated. And even after all of that, the OPs are STILL unstatisfed. You came here seeking advice, you got some and you also got an offer from the vendor you bought the rings from, that's more than anyone can ask for, and you can't just expect someone to pull out a wand for you and fix it. This is a decision of what's more convenient for you, take the JA offer, get them replated, or simply replace them with a different vendor. Not much you can do from there.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Verdy|1311310611|2974358 said:
Sometimes you just have to understand that the worst things can happen to you - that's just life. Nothing comes with a lifetime guarantee, and you have to accept that some things are beyond yours or the vendor's control. I can understand where the OPs are coming from - it's not easy paying a large sum for something that you expect to last years, and then have it fail just months after, it's irritating and frustrating. But I can also see where the PSers are coming from too, explanations have been given, suggestions have been made, and even James Allen has made an offer that not many vendors are willing to provide for customers. Others would just brush it off and tell you to get it replated. And even after all of that, the OPs are STILL unstatisfed. You came here seeking advice, you got some and you also got an offer from the vendor you bought the rings from, that's more than anyone can ask for, and you can't just expect someone to pull out a wand for you and fix it. This is a decision of what's more convenient for you, take the JA offer, get them replated, or simply replace them with a different vendor. Not much you can do from there.

OT: Sorry Verdy, your avatar is just too cute! Yours?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree.
That's an adorable bird.
Is it a lovebird?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

So what is the exact alloy being used in this case?

One question about being able to dictate the alloy to used is that does that take into account of what the manufacturer's line is geared for and that they are comfortable with working with that particular alloy, has enough experience working with that alloy to make a good/durable piece for a particular design?

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
Alot of words are being put in our mouths by some and assumptions are being made. Some are saying I wait too long to complain? I started this thead a long time ago. And she just put the wedding ring on her hand at the very end of Oct 2010. Here are the facts

1. I was told the plating would look fine for a long time and the average was up to 2 years. I was told then when I was talking with them about white gold vs platinum
2. The rings looked pretty bad at 3 months and look horrible after 6 months
3. We got married in October 2010, recent.. this isn't many years ago
4. JA offer is better than nothing but we don't feel we should have to pay 1400 dollars to get what they promised when I spent thousands.
5. The rings are beautiful when done
6. These rings do not see chemicals or manual labor.
7. All we want is to not have to maintain these these things every 3-6 months, it is a hassle. We are not picky on the shade of the metal.. we just don't want to have to maintain it nearly as often as 3 months.

With that said.. The only solution offered so far was to pay $1,417 additional dollars to get them in platinum. We cannot afford that and are not taking that option. Pladdium* has been mentioned but a dollar sign has not been put up against that.

So it appears that we will keep sending these in every 3-6 months for now... with disgust. Perhaps JA shouldn't be telling people what I was told and perhaps (since they have blamed it on 18k) they shouldn't be plating 18k if it doesn't adhere well.

Many of you are probably not aware of this thread [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-my-girlfriends-engagement-ring-in-next-few-days.122187/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/buying-my-girlfriends-engagement-ring-in-next-few-days.122187/[/URL] I did alot of homework and asked for a ton of help on picking this stuff out only to have it let me/us down.

Thats that.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Matt,
No one is putting words in your mouth. Did you come here for help and a resolution or just to be nasty and air your complaints?

You've been asked repeatedly what you are looking for in terms of a reasonable resolution to your problem, both by PSers and the owner of the company from which you purchased your ring, and you have not answered that question. What will make you happy?

You can't go back in time, you can't have known that some unknown specific issue would have cause the rhodium plating to not last very long on your fiancee/wife's finger. All you can do now is find a good solution that you can afford and be happy with moving forward. I've read every post on this topic and except for maybe 2 responses every post has been polite, even reasonable in terms of understanding your side of the situation. But you haven't been polite or reasonable back, not even once.

James Allen is here and they are waiting for your request as to what you see as a reasonable solution- they WANT to make you happy. If platinum is too expensive, and you are considering palladium, contact JA and see if that is a cost you can reasonably afford right now. I'm not even sure JA makes palladium rings but if they do that seems to me to be a reasonable option in terms of cost and not having to re-plate so often.

I hope you come to a consensus with the retailer and can be happy with your purchase. I think the first place to start this complaint would have been going directly to the retailer FIRST and allowing them the opportunity to make it right by you before creating a post like this. From the tone of your posts it almost seems like no matter what anyone says you are out to tarnish JA's reputation as your ring is tarnished. He is here to make it right so please take him up on his offer to do so. Complaining and then not doing anything about it doesn't make you look any better.

Wishing you and your new wife every happiness....

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I'm still not clear - was this an issue when your wife was just wearing her engagement ring only? I assume you were engaged for a bit before you got married? So she was wearing just that ring for a while. Did you have problems with that? If so I wonder why you wouldn't have solved it then? Or at least not gotten a wedding band of the same material?

I agree - you haven't really stated what you want. Quite frankly exchanging it for a platinum set without paying and difference would not be fair imo. And I think that's what you are wishing for.

Also I think it's horrible to come on here and call those rings junk. Kudos to JA for coming in here with a darn fine offer to resolve that after you did that.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
kenny|1311314720|2974398 said:
I agree.
That's an adorable bird.
Is it a lovebird?

Yes Kenny, it is a lovebird, unfortunately it's not mine, although I'm dying to get a pair, I find it intriguing how two small little birds can simulate the way humans fall in love and stay together (sometimes). He (or she) is quite adorable though, I must agree :))

laine

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1311338935|2974471 said:
<snip>
Here are the facts
1. I was told the plating would look fine for a long time and the average was up to 2 years. I was told then when I was talking with them about white gold vs platinum
2. The rings looked pretty bad at 3 months and look horrible after 6 months
3. We got married in October 2010, recent.. this isn't many years ago
4. JA offer is better than nothing but we don't feel we should have to pay 1400 dollars to get what they promised when I spent thousands.
5. The rings are beautiful when done
6. These rings do not see chemicals or manual labor.
7. All we want is to not have to maintain these these things every 3-6 months, it is a hassle. We are not picky on the shade of the metal.. we just don't want to have to maintain it nearly as often as 3 months.

Several people have mentioned that the issue seems to clearly be the two rings rubbing against each other, but you seem to be ignoring it. Your wife may not be doing manual labor, but the rings are constantly--24/7--being abraded against each other. Of course you're going to see wear there!

arcticcatmatt

Shiny_Rock
nfowife|1311339717|2974476 said:
Matt,
No one is putting words in your mouth. Did you come here for help and a resolution or just to be nasty and air your complaints?

You've been asked repeatedly what you are looking for in terms of a reasonable resolution to your problem, both by PSers and the owner of the company from which you purchased your ring, and you have not answered that question. What will make you happy?

You can't go back in time, you can't have known that some unknown specific issue would have cause the rhodium plating to not last very long on your fiancee/wife's finger. All you can do now is find a good solution that you can afford and be happy with moving forward. I've read every post on this topic and except for maybe 2 responses every post has been polite, even reasonable in terms of understanding your side of the situation. But you haven't been polite or reasonable back, not even once.

James Allen is here and they are waiting for your request as to what you see as a reasonable solution- they WANT to make you happy. If platinum is too expensive, and you are considering palladium, contact JA and see if that is a cost you can reasonably afford right now. I'm not even sure JA makes palladium rings but if they do that seems to me to be a reasonable option in terms of cost and not having to re-plate so often.

I hope you come to a consensus with the retailer and can be happy with your purchase. I think the first place to start this complaint would have been going directly to the retailer FIRST and allowing them the opportunity to make it right by you before creating a post like this. From the tone of your posts it almost seems like no matter what anyone says you are out to tarnish JA's reputation as your ring is tarnished. He is here to make it right so please take him up on his offer to do so. Complaining and then not doing anything about it doesn't make you look any better.

Wishing you and your new wife every happiness....
You said I am being nasty? No I am not. You said I haven't said what would make us happy, yes I did see number 7 on the list. You said I should have contacted retailer first? I did when I had them done last time via email. I also contacted them via email this time. So, you should not assume.

Now to answer that what do we want question again.. we don't want rings that need maintained every 3-6 months but it seems that unless we front almost $1,500 we are going to have to. Now, if I could have ANYTHING we want. I would go back to when I purchased these rings and was told the plating lasted MUCH longer and ignore it. I would then click the platinum button and paid about $600 additional (both rings combined). But.. we can't afford 1,500 and don't own a time machine so as I already said.. that's that and they are getting sent back every 3-6 months. There is no other option.

hoofbeats95|1311340298|2974480 said:
I'm still not clear - was this an issue when your wife was just wearing her engagement ring only? I assume you were engaged for a bit before you got married? So she was wearing just that ring for a while. Did you have problems with that? If so I wonder why you wouldn't have solved it then? Or at least not gotten a wedding band of the same material?

I agree - you haven't really stated what you want. Quite frankly exchanging it for a platinum set without paying and difference would not be fair imo. And I think that's what you are wishing for.

Also I think it's horrible to come on here and call those rings junk. Kudos to JA for coming in here with a darn fine offer to resolve that after you did that.
This thread was started in april 2010 in regards to the ering going bad so fast. That was before we were married so yes before she had the wedding ring on the ering had problems also. You think a free exchange is what I am wishing for? Again don't put words in my mouth. I am NOT wishing for that and haven't even hinted at that. I was mad when I said they were junk.. I later said the rings are beautiful when done and thats the truth.. but if I have to maintain them every 3 months, I no longer like how well the rings hold up. If your tires went flat ever 3 months would you be ok with that even though others tires last 2 years? No. I am glad you think its a darn fine offer for them to ask me to pay $1,500 when had I done this when I ordered them it would it would have been $600. You pay them the 1,500 I don't have then.

Laine- this thread was started before the wedding ring every touched the E-ring ugh!

Thread done.. we have made our decision.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm still not clear - was this an issue when your wife was just wearing her engagement ring only? I assume you were engaged for a bit before you got married? So she was wearing just that ring for a while. Did you have problems with that? If so I wonder why you wouldn't have solved it then?

If you read back to the beginning, yes it was an issue. Matt originally posted about this issue in April 2010, and he told us he didn't get married until October 2010, so his fiancee was only wearing just the e-ring when the yellowing first started.

Matt, here is an EASY solution...call James Allen and ask that the rings be remade in Palladium white gold, NOT nickel white gold. Palladium white gold does not need plating and it stays WHITE! And you won't need to pay the crazy prices of platinum. Problem solved. ;-)

Verdy

Shiny_Rock

Agreed, hoofbeats95, many people here have James Allen rings, and all of them are quality craftsmanship and quite pleasing to the eye, and coming here and calling those same rings 'junk' is poor etiquette, IMHO.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
arcticcatmatt|1311340808|2974488 said:
Now to answer that what do we want question again.. we don't want rings that need maintained every 3-6 months but it seems that unless we front almost $1,500 we are going to have to. Now, if I could have ANYTHING we want. I would go back to when I purchased these rings and was told the plating lasted MUCH longer and ignore it. I would then click the platinum button and paid about $600 additional (both rings combined). But.. we can't afford 1,500 and don't own a time machine so as I already said.. that's that and they are getting sent back every 3-6 months. There is no other option.

You could try saving $5 a day. It would take you only 6 months to save up for the cost difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results