shape
carat
color
clarity

JA prongs - is this acceptable?

Which option will you choose

• Free shipback to JA but she has to pay for the taxes again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $75 refund for her fix on her own butshe still have to fork out additional for local jeweler

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Return the ring to JA

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Hi All

Due to some urgency (30 days return), I am posting on the behalf of my friend, who is still waiting for her PS account to be approved.

To cut the long story short: she has requested for the prongs to be even since her diamond is a perfect square radiant (5.64mm by 5.64mm) in her order. However, when she received it, the prongs are off (they do not sit nicely and evenly). One is slightly crooked.

JA offered:

1. Free shipback but she has to pay for the taxes again (more than ~$200 usd) once it arrives, and JA is not going to cover this.
  2. Refund of $75 for to her fix it her own (she still have to fork out additional for the local jeweler) but JA warned against damage by a 3rd party, JA said their markup is minimal so this is the max they will offer.
  3. Return the ring
My friend is considering 2, but the way JA worded this -> Damage by 3rd party, gave her pause. What is your advice?

Do you think the prongs are acceptable? JA said that for fancy shapes, it is normal for the prongs to be like this. Is this true?

prongs-jpg.808040

crooked-jpg.808038

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What country would tax it again?
A lot of countries allow tax free returns on warranty repairs.
Some do require it to be paid but you can request a refund.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
What country would tax it again?
A lot of countries allow tax free returns on warranty repairs.
Some do require it to be paid but you can request a refund.

Thanks @Karl_K , it is Singapore. :)

And I wouldn't recommend a refund, since it has been nearly 2 months, and FedEx Singapore has not refunded the taxes I have paid for my returned Emerald diamond.

Despite my repeated inquiries, and submission of the required documents, they did not respond. :x2

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Looks a bit like it was set by a committee but without the pink circles, all I notice is the beautiful diamond. Does she like it?
I think she should take the refund from JA and just wear it for a while, be done with them. Like there's no talent in Singapore?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Looks a bit like it was set by a committee but without the pink circles, all I notice is the beautiful diamond. Does she like it?
I think she should take the refund from JA and just wear it for a while, be done with them. Like there's no talent in Singapore?

Thanks @Ibrakeforpossums, what does "set by a committee" mean?

She likes the diamond but the setting bothered her. I understand what she means coz it is noticeable since the diamond is a square.

The local Jeweler here is pretty expensive, although they have assured her that they will do a good job.

Btw, did you purchase the Square Radiant from JA without the settings?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Set by a committee means done by several people, all who have a different approach and technique and the result will reflect that.
You have a good memory. I did buy that .73 J from JA and still waiting, Day 13. Can't wait to be done with them.
Your friend has the luxury of wearing her lovely diamond while she decides on its ultimate setting. Not to spend her money but isn't Singapore a hub for gems and jewelry?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Set by a committee means done by several people, all who have a different approach and technique and the result will reflect that.
You have a good memory. I did buy that .73 J from JA and still waiting, Day 13. Can't wait to be done with them.
Your friend has the luxury of wearing her lovely diamond while she decides on its ultimate setting. Not to spend her money but isn't Singapore a hub for gems and jewelry?

I see! Yes, I remembered since I was eyeing on the 0.73j too! Can't wait to see yours once it arrives!

Unfortunately, when it comes to gems and jewelry, it is pretty marked up here. :(

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Since there's no guarantee that JA would be able to get it right the 2nd time, I'd either return the ring or get the partial refund. I agree with @Ibrakeforpossums . If your friend keeps the ring, at least she can wear it for now.

Thanks @AnastasiaBeaverhausen . Yes, I pointed out that JA might not be able to do it correctly the 2nd round. She might consider accepting the partial refund

ellekay

Rough_Rock
That is absolutely maddening! Your poor friend--to be so excited about her new ring and then be disappointed by the workmanship.

Has she tried escalating the concern? Asked to speak to a manager to try to work something out? Sometimes persistence gets results. If this really is their best offer, though, I'd take the refund and wear the ring for awhile to see if it still bothers her in a few months (at which point she can have it fixed).

If your friend is worried about "damage by a 3rd party," she should consider getting her ring insured (Jeweler's Mutual covers jewelry even when it's being worked on, I believe).

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
That is absolutely maddening! Your poor friend--to be so excited about her new ring and then be disappointed by the workmanship.

Has she tried escalating the concern? Asked to speak to a manager to try to work something out? Sometimes persistence gets results. If this really is their best offer, though, I'd take the refund and wear the ring for awhile to see if it still bothers her in a few months (at which point she can have it fixed).

If your friend is worried about "damage by a 3rd party," she should consider getting her ring insured (Jeweler's Mutual covers jewelry even when it's being worked on, I believe).

@ellekay, yes she is tremendously disappointed. She had to wait around 1 mth for JA to receive the diamond from the virtual supplier. After which she had to wait for another 3 weeks or so for the ring to be worked on and shipped to her.

She is working with a Manger right now I believe. The manager seems to infer that her expectations are unrealistic for the prongs to be even, especially when it comes to fancy shapes. The small offer of $75 usd seems to enforce that.

However I strongly disagree, since I have seen many beautiful ring workmanship in PS. I feel very bad since I have referred JA to her. Which is the reason why I am so involved in the process.

Thanks, I will find out more about the insuring part and let her know.

ellekay

Rough_Rock
@ellekay, yes she is tremendously disappointed. She had to wait around 1 mth for JA to receive the diamond from the virtual supplier. After which she had to wait for another 3 weeks or so for the ring to be worked on and shipped to her.

She is working with a Manger right now I believe. The manager seems to infer that her expectations are unrealistic for the prongs to be even, especially when it comes to fancy shapes. The small offer of $75 usd seems to enforce that.

However I strongly disagree, since I have seen many beautiful ring workmanship in PS. I feel very bad since I have referred JA to her. Which is the reason why I am so involved in the process.

Thanks, I will find out more about the insuring part and let her know.

Doesn't hurt to ask "is there anyone else I can talk to about this?" I'm so bummed for her.

I bought my diamond from WF but got the ring from JA (and had JA set the diamond), and JA's work was just fine.

Perhaps she could choose a setting from a local jeweler and have them remove her diamond and she could send the setting back to JA for a refund. That way, JA doesn't get to keep any of her money and she gets something she's happy with, even if she has to pay a bit more for it.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it's not normal to have uneven prongs and claim it's not possible to set them straight.

They're acting as if her stone has a bajillion sides and are all different lengths- No- this is a very square stone and it will show if any of the prongs aren't perfectly set in each corner & it's not difficult to do. Disapointed in their response to be honest!

It would put a bad taste in my mouth so I'd probably return it and set my diamond elsewhere.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would first try to escalate the matter with someone who has more power at JA. Barring that I would take the partial refund. Definitely don't ship it back to JA as they might not be able to set it correctly and then she has to eat the taxes and time of travel etc. So if she cannot successful escalate to get the entire fix covered I would just take the partial refund and find someone in Singapore who can do it right. I am sorry this happened. Frustrating indeed.

ETA: If she doesn't love the diamond and ring then I would choose choice 3 and send the entire ring back for a full refund. No question. But if she loves the ring I choose fixing the prongs locally.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Not only is it uneven I really don’t like the chunky shape of those claws. It looks ALL claw. I’d have it reset completely with a symmetrical sharp claw setting which lets the diamond take centre stage. I’m not surprised she is disappointed. And not the first time I’ve seen people recently complaining about JA settings. I would never have them set anything, nor would I buy a coloured stone from them. Good for loose diamonds only IMO.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I would first try to escalate the matter with someone who has more power at JA. Barring that I would take the partial refund. Definitely don't ship it back to JA as they might not be able to set it correctly and then she has to eat the taxes and time of travel etc. So if she cannot successful escalate to get the entire fix covered I would just take the partial refund and find someone in Singapore who can do it right. I am sorry this happened. Frustrating indeed.

ETA: If she doesn't love the diamond and ring then I would choose choice 3 and send the entire ring back for a full refund. No question. But if she loves the ring I choose fixing the prongs locally.

Thanks @missy , while she loves the diamond, the settings bothered her. She probably will get it fixed locally out of her own pocket.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Not only is it uneven I really don’t like the chunky shape of those claws. It looks ALL claw. I’d have it reset completely with a symmetrical sharp claw setting which lets the diamond take centre stage. I’m not surprised she is disappointed. And not the first time I’ve seen people recently complaining about JA settings. I would never have them set anything, nor would I buy a coloured stone from them. Good for loose diamonds only IMO.

Personally, I feel the same way too. The prongs are even and on top of it, they are chunky. I should have advised her to get the loose diamonds, instead of wasting her money on such a bad setting.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I have a princess of hearts (now called a square radiant, I believe). I’ve had it fir nearly 12 years and it’s prongs are set straight, even, and have held beautifully the entire time. I don’t believe there is anything special about setting these stones well..... Just a combination of willingness and ability. They may lack both based on the story as relayed here.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Seems a majority has voted to return the diamond ring.
I have a princess of hearts (now called a square radiant, I believe). I’ve had it fir nearly 12 years and it’s prongs are set straight, even, and have held beautifully the entire time. I don’t believe there is anything special about setting these stones well..... Just a combination of willingness and ability. They may lack both based on the story as relayed here.

I just saw your POH in the other thread.. It is breath taking! From your personal experience.. I am more convinced than ever it was a really shabby job done in the first place.

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
Seems a majority has voted to return the diamond ring.

I just saw your POH in the other thread.. It is breath taking! From your personal experience.. I am more convinced than ever it was a really shabby job done in the first place.

@La2020, that is certainly how it appears. I have never been told that there is anything about the cut or setting that would hinder or require special treatment... my band is yg. The head is platinum....

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I'd for sure have it repaired locally. What a pain. Perhaps ask our Singapore PSers if they have ideas for competent benches that aren't astronomical.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Just to close this case, although my friend was promised a refund of $75 USD, and reminded JA to refund her in USD, JA still refunded her in SGD which means the amount is much less due to the conversion rate.

The best part? JA said that oh, they simply "apologize for the conversion" and that was it. She is now fuming mad.

Why? She asked for even prongs, she didn't get it. She was promised a refund in USD, but she didn't get it too.

In her own words, it is like getting "slapped in her face 2 times", and a "sore bitter after taste".

Please refer to this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...t-first-we-want-to-look-up-your-skirt.264746/ on the risks of buying from JA.

To conclude, purchase from JA at your own risk.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
After one purchase from James Allen I had the impression that they truly didn't care about acquiring or keeping a customer, that if I'm angry, there are thousands more ready to step in. I liked the company WAY more before Signet bought them. Interesting also is that employee reviews are mostly negative (and some truly depressing) since that purchase. It used to be a neat place to work and to buy a diamond. Not any more.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Ouch. JA is not having a good run at the moment. I hope the quality and care improves again. Unfortunately as another person found in the lab thread, the JA settings are a bit one size/shape fits all, or at least they'll do their best to make it fit without having to modify the setting considerably. My marquise from two years ago is set well but I think one prong is a bit off to compensate for some asymmetry in the stone. It's not that noticeable though. Your friend's setting... a bit noticeable :( I'd get the $75 refund and have it reset locally. Might not be a big fix. Or send the whole ring back. I wouldn't count on JA getting the fix right and that's coming from someone who has enjoyed being their customer.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
imho those are the kinds of prongs you expect to see on a rough diamond ring, something that's supposed to look bohemian and imperfect. i know it's not as noticeable with the naked eye but it would bother me too. Will they allow her to return just the setting? It's not her fault their quality control on the ring was poor.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
imho those are the kinds of prongs you expect to see on a rough diamond ring, something that's supposed to look bohemian and imperfect. i know it's not as noticeable with the naked eye but it would bother me too. Will they allow her to return just the setting? It's not her fault their quality control on the ring was poor.

She is pretty bothered. N something which she can't unsee after seeing it. My JA true hearts purchase was fortunately perfect..so I was pretty lucky..but I feel bad for her. Its her first overseas purchase. If I remembered correctly she is now working with a local jeweller to get the prongs fixed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results