carat
color
clarity

J VS1 asscher and E, G, J comparison

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dear all,

Since I acquired this lovely three stone ring featuring a 3.62ct J squared emerald center stone (8.89x8.83x5.52 -- bigger than a lot of 4ct asscher out there) and two 0.5ct F/G color trillions, I have decided to make some videos of this ring in different lighting environments. I have literally read every posts possible on this "Is J color too yellow" topic and cut quality of an asscher/sq. emerald, and decided to share my 2 cents. For your knowledge, the center stone is J while the side stones are G. For comparison, the halo diamonds are E for my other sapphire ring here.

I buy myself rings that I like. I can definitely say this ring, while not white enough for me, will make me a happily engaged woman one day yet to come. I admire all the men on this forum, trying to be educated so to make their ladies happy. However, mine has other talents that make me a lucky girl -- besides, I really don't want him to be ripped off in anyway.

While I'd love for a D VVS+ asscher ring, I know I'll never be able to afford it (or I should say that I'd rather buy a nice house or go to places with that money). My family also collects some jewelry, and I know someday, I will have the chance to wear some top-notch rings of auction quality.

Enough background. I'd like to share with you these images and videos because I found there is not enough good visuals on the J color out there. My conclusion is very simple that anything below a F, in my eyes, tend to have some tint especially when put next to a E. While there is definitely still difference between a G and J, the cut quality and lighting can really trick out eyes. A D and a E will be the icy white color even in intense light. I choose the spread and the fire for this purchase.

My asscher here, on the paper, probably won't fit your definition of excellence at all. It is VG in Polish and only G in Symmetry, and it has a tiny cutlet. Yet, some seasoned appraisals worked with Harry Winston told me that this diamond cannot be cut better based on his experience after appraised millions of stone. A little different from all the sq. emerald and asscher out there, it has a 67% table and only a 62.5% depth (very hard to find an asscher so shallow). However, the visual does not lie, and I have been "blinded" so many times while trying to take these pictures and video.

I made this post hope to help any future purchaser and your diamond enthusiasts out there. Just want to contribute a little extra sparkles to this very shining knowledge base! :geek2::geek2::geek2:

Double rings.jpg (day light)
Double rings_2.jpg (white intense store light)
Here are the videos (UTube thought I am trying to artificially increase my visits by uploading the same video...LOL). The only one I am missing is the ring under the Sakes 5th Avenue...It was the most eye-blinding performance I saw but it was a litter weird to stand in the middle of the floor taking pictures of my ring...LOL2)

1. Day light:
2. Sun light:
3. Office LED diffused light:
4. Intense white store light:
5. Intense warm store light:

Enjoy! Thanks. Happy holidays to you all! =)2=)2=)2

Attachments

• Asscher on hand_2.jpg
    Asscher on hand_2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 30

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s gorgeous. I’m having a hard time seeing any color difference in your videos. :love:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dear all,

Since I acquired this lovely three stone ring featuring a 3.62ct J squared emerald center stone (8.89x8.83x5.52 -- bigger than a lot of 4ct asscher out there) and two 0.5ct F/G color trillions, I have decided to make some videos of this ring in different lighting environments. I have literally read every posts possible on this "Is J color too yellow" topic and cut quality of an asscher/sq. emerald, and decided to share my 2 cents. For your knowledge, the center stone is J while the side stones are G. For comparison, the halo diamonds are E for my other sapphire ring here.

I buy myself rings that I like. I can definitely say this ring, while not white enough for me, will make me a happily engaged woman one day yet to come. I admire all the men on this forum, trying to be educated so to make their ladies happy. However, mine has other talents that make me a lucky girl -- besides, I really don't want him to be ripped off in anyway.

While I'd love for a D VVS+ asscher ring, I know I'll never be able to afford it (or I should say that I'd rather buy a nice house or go to places with that money). My family also collects some jewelry, and I know someday, I will have the chance to wear some top-notch rings of auction quality.

Enough background. I'd like to share with you these images and videos because I found there is not enough good visuals on the J color out there. My conclusion is very simple that anything below a F, in my eyes, tend to have some tint especially when put next to a E. While there is definitely still difference between a G and J, the cut quality and lighting can really trick out eyes. A D and a E will be the icy white color even in intense light. I choose the spread and the fire for this purchase.

My asscher here, on the paper, probably won't fit your definition of excellence at all. It is VG in Polish and only G in Symmetry, and it has a tiny cutlet. Yet, some seasoned appraisals worked with Harry Winston told me that this diamond cannot be cut better based on his experience after appraised millions of stone. A little different from all the sq. emerald and asscher out there, it has a 67% table and only a 62.5% depth (very hard to find an asscher so shallow). However, the visual does not lie, and I have been "blinded" so many times while trying to take these pictures and video.

I made this post hope to help any future purchaser and your diamond enthusiasts out there. Just want to contribute a little extra sparkles to this very shining knowledge base! :geek2::geek2::geek2:

Here are the videos (UTube thought I am trying to artificially increase my visits by uploading the same video...LOL). The only one I am missing is the ring under the Sakes 5th Avenue...It was the most eye-blinding performance I saw but it was a litter weird to stand in the middle of the floor taking pictures of my ring...LOL2)

1. Day light:
2. Sun light:

Your ring is gorgeous! It doesn’t look like a J! The only time I saw a hint of a tint was when you tilted it and looked at it from the side. Thanks for sharing it!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The cut is a classic, methinks - not too common here yet.

There might be some debate of what is to be called 'Asscher' - aside diamonds cut by the respective company. I'll kep calling everything step cut, step cut.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great videos!

I completely failed to pay any attention to the colour because I was too distracted by the light performance :D lol

Blingalingaling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! Thanks for posting! I wish there had been videos like these a few years ago when I first got engaged and we were looking at stones! I was seriously contemplating a beautiful 3.82 J color EC that I absolutely loved until a friend said "don't buy a J!" and stopped me in my tracks! I thought it was an amazing stone, but I was afraid that others would notice a tint and that would be "bad"!
How differently I feel now and how much more I trust my own eyes, many thanks to this forum!
Your ring is gorgeous and your step cut is a fireball!!!
Enjoy wearing it and keep the photos coming!!!:love:

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
I loved watching your videos, @clcat120 it was like jewellery shopping without leaving home. So convenient!:D
I honestly couldn't see any colour difference between your asscher and your side stone trillions. Your ring is beautiful and the stones look harmonious together. Nice sparkle and colours given off by your centre stone too.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring is dazzling!!! I love the size and the flashes it gives out. I hardly notice the color difference at all. My ERing is also a J with higher color side stones. I am completely in love with it! BTW, your hands are beautiful! Too!!!

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi! Thanks for posting! I wish there had been videos like these a few years ago when I first got engaged and we were looking at stones! I was seriously contemplating a beautiful 3.82 J color EC that I absolutely loved until a friend said "don't buy a J!" and stopped me in my tracks! I thought it was an amazing stone, but I was afraid that others would notice a tint and that would be "bad"!
How differently I feel now and how much more I trust my own eyes, many thanks to this forum!
Your ring is gorgeous and your step cut is a fireball!!!
Enjoy wearing it and keep the photos coming!!!:love:

Thank you. One more for you all here. This is taken at the CVS convenient store. The stone actually looks whiter with my eyes than it appeared here on this video. Never the less, enjoy...

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Your ring is dazzling!!! I love the size and the flashes it gives out. I hardly notice the color difference at all. My ERing is also a J with higher color side stones. I am completely in love with it! BTW, your hands are beautiful! Too!!!

Haha...thank you! Maybe those hand moisturizers are helping my claws, finally!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. One more for you all here. This is taken at the CVS convenient store. The stone actually looks whiter with my eyes than it appeared here on this video. Never the less, enjoy...
I’m laughing because I can imagine you taking the video in the cvs..Love it! Your stone looks very white..Still can’t believe it’s a J!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I’m laughing because I can imagine you taking the video in the cvs..Love it! Your stone looks very white..Still can’t believe it’s a J!
BTW, assuming those RB are your collection in your profile. They look so gorgeous! I love the three stone RB too!

Sparkle_ruckle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh wow! Most regal-looking! And thanks for the informative post!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joining the rest of New Yorkers to embrace our eccentricity :whistle::whistle::whistle:
I still consider myself one even though I haven’t lived there for a long time! I take photos of my “Lentil” when I’m in Costco! :lol-2:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
7ACE97D7-5266-4A7F-9E35-9DFD80A49F0B.jpeg
Dear all,

1. Day light:
2. Sun light:

I recently completed this collage to show the sureounding effect on the diamond. I think due to the large table and the mirror property of a step-cut, you can really see different colors present on the stone. I love the one in the red circle the most... what’s your favorite? :roll2:

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love the compilation photo. The center shot is killer.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous photos and videos. Shows that any color can be beautiful.:kiss2:

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dear all,

1. Day light:
2. Sun light:

One more video from today... for those who love sports, here is how you rock a beauty with your hubby and friends! Happy holidays!

https://youtu.be/PkSneM2hToI

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring! As another owner of a J, I see nothing wrong with owning a J. My stone looks 'white' to me most of the time...the other times...well I blame the yellow lights ;))

clcat120

Shiny_Rock
Trade
What a lovely ring! As another owner of a J, I see nothing wrong with owning a J. My stone looks 'white' to me most of the time...the other times...well I blame the yellow lights ;))

I just get blinded by the flashes of light and sparkles...I am getting used to a near-colorless stone. :kiss2:

Emerald_Isle13

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for this post! I just ordered a 1.9ct J emerald cut. It has depth of 62% so it measures larger as well and these videos make me feel better. My original engagment ring is a 1.5 ct princess cut J and I never see any tint but I’ve read on a lot of threads here that emerald cuts show more color. Since I’ve never known any different from J color I didn’t think it would bother me. I had just emailed with a jeweler I purchased a ring from previously and when I said that I’d consider a J emerald cut he told me I’d have decide if I wanted size or beauty. I think these videos are proof that a J color does not mean sacrificing beauty for size.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Matthews1127 This is the video of the beautiful J color asscher/squared emerald cut! I know you like the emerald cut but it’s so similiar I think you can get a good idea! didn’t read the post again so. I’m not sure you saw this but had to make sure you did! I’m going to watch the video again! It’s mesemrizing!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 This is the video of the beautiful J color asscher/squared emerald cut! I know you like the emerald cut but it’s so similiar I think you can get a good idea! didn’t read the post again so. I’m not sure you saw this but had to make sure you did! I’m going to watch the video again! It’s mesemrizing!

No idea how I missed this, but thank you for sharing with me!!

@clcat120, this sq. EC is spectacular!! What a fantastic representation of how beautiful step cuts are, even in lower color ranges! This baby faces up very white, and looks wonderful on your dainty hand!!
Wear that with confidence, girl!!! :kiss2:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Your stone and ring are GORGEOUS!! :love::love: Thanks so much for sharing the videos - really helpful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results