shape
carat
color
clarity

J in a cushion?

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I think I'm about to do it -- trade my emerald cut for a cushion cut. I saw a ring with a cushion cut in a phenomenal rose gold setting this weekend, and I fell in love -- with the sparkle! I do love my emerald cut, but I really want sparkle. And, I'm trying to make a move on the stone before diamond prices get too out of hand.

So, I've found a couple of nicely cut (according to my jeweler) cushions, but they are J color. My current stone is a J, and it doesn't bother me in the least. Actually, the only time I notice any tint is when I'm in the jewelry store lights. Warmer stones don't bother me.

My jeweler told me that the cushions are going to show more color than my emerald cut. Is that true? Do you think it will be a lot more noticeable than my EC?

I am planning (eventually) to set it in a rose gold bezel.

What are your opinions?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your EC, but if you fall in love with a diferent cut, there is nothing wrong with that. I always thought that a well cut cushion show less warmth than an EC. :read:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know... I'm not sure. I've always thought of ECs, step cuts as bold, modern, minimalist - cushions are, IMO, at the opposite end of the spectrum - antiquey, romantic, all lace and ribbons.

If you've found that you prefer the "feel" of the latter, for lack of better wording, then by all means explore the world of cushions - but if you think you do like the "feel" of step cuts but want more *sparkle* you should consider the Octavia, that GOG sells -

Video w/ asschers & octavia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnE2fz-p8E
Kenny's octavia thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-worlds-first-octavia-ring.136357/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-worlds-first-octavia-ring.136357/[/URL]
Consumer chooses btwn shapes incl. cushion & octavia: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-old-gold-visit-today-purchasing-octavia.138986/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-old-gold-visit-today-purchasing-octavia.138986/[/URL]

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi LC!

Well, I know that you've felt this way for awhile, so its not a rash decision. I think if you want more sparkle and cushions speak to you, then its probably time for a change. Life is too short- wear what makes you happy!!

I've always felt that EC's show more color/inclusions/etc than other shapes in general, so if you're already wearing a J EC, then I *think* you'll be ok with a J cushion. Just make sure you check out the new stone under all lighting conditions just to make sure you're happy with it Good luck, and let us know what you decide!!!

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1303610698|2903794 said:
You know... I'm not sure. I've always thought of ECs, step cuts as bold, modern, minimalist - cushions are, IMO, at the opposite end of the spectrum - antiquey, romantic, all lace and ribbons.

If you've found that you prefer the "feel" of the latter, for lack of better wording, then by all means explore the world of cushions - but if you think you do like the "feel" of step cuts but want more *sparkle* you should consider the Octavia, that GOG sells -

Video w/ asschers & octavia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjnE2fz-p8E
Kenny's octavia thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-worlds-first-octavia-ring.136357/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-worlds-first-octavia-ring.136357/[/URL]
Consumer chooses btwn shapes incl. cushion & octavia: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-old-gold-visit-today-purchasing-octavia.138986/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-old-gold-visit-today-purchasing-octavia.138986/[/URL]

Yes, I do like the octavias; however, I can't get them as an upgrade from my jeweler. I really do fall into the category for antiquey, romance, lace and ribbons! I'm a girly girl!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree that step cuts seem to show more color than cushions, at least that's my experience.

I'm very excited to see what you're going to do with this new ring of yours, librarychickie! A cushion in rose gold--sounds like a winner to me! ;))

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, okay, I seem to have missed a few posts on this :oops:

Lots of rose gold and lower colours around here lately - Haven's, LGK's, now yours - I imagine it will be beautiful :sun:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience step cuts seem to show more color so I agree that if you have a J EC and are fine with it than you will probably be fine with a J cushion. Cushions don't hide color as well as ideal cut rounds but many people actually like the warmth they see in cushions, kinda goes along with the antique, lace, and ribbons thing. Since you can see the stone in person I'd say go for it if it's what you really want!!

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Yssie|1303635924|2903927 said:
Ah, okay, I seem to have missed a few posts on this :oops:

Lots of rose gold and lower colours around here lately - Haven's, LGK's, now yours - I imagine it will be beautiful :sun:

That's okay. It will be a bit until I can get the rose gold setting. I wanted to make sure that I got the stone before prices go up anymore! Geeze, they're killing me!

But, I'm planning on a bezel setting with a filigree/fleur di lis/lotus flower design underneath with a plan shank. I saw one in the jewelry store the other day, but it had a basket weave design underneath.

Anyway, stone first, setting later (hopefully by the end of the summer!).

I hope to have some pictures of the stones I'm considering to post this week.

I appreciate your help!

~LC

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Okay. I have hit a snag in my search.

The jeweler has three J colored cushions that I'm interested in; however, they're telling me that they do not recommend J color in cushions as it shows too much yellow. They're more than happy to sell me the stone, but it won't be eligible for a future upgrade. I'm confused b/c on their website, they have a statement that these stones are eligible for a lifetime upgrade.

I haven't seen these stones in person, and I won't be able to as I'm doing this all online. I can see videos and pictures, but not in person. I bought my current stone this way, and I have been happy with it.

If I bump up the color grade to an "I," I 'm going to have to get a smaller stone, which isn't what I want to do. I'm used to the size of the stone I have now, and anything smaller will bother me.

I'd like to say that this new stone will be my forever stone, but I know realistically, it won't be.

I guess I'm just having a tough time coming to grips with the no upgrade thing b/c the stone's too yellow. I've seen so many J cushions posted on PS, and I've never looked at them and thought "Yuck. Too yellow!"

Alas, I've got a conundrum to deal with.

I really want a stone that sparkles more than my EC, and I don't want to put it in a halo (unless it's a pink diamond one).

Any advice? Suggestions?

~LC

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who has graded these stones?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would save the extra money to get the I color and maintain your upgrade ability. I had the same issue when I was upgrading to my present stone -- save some money and get a non-upgradable stone, or pony up a little more for an upgradable stone. I opted for the latter and was very glad that I did.

Alternatively, go a little smaller in the I color and get the pink diamond halo, which sounds divine.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
If you know this isn't the final stone, then save up for an I in a size you'd be comfortable with. I don't think J cushion's are "yuck yellow" at all. On the other hand, I can see how a jeweler may have difficulty reselling a J cushion in the size you are looking at. He doesn't want to be stuck with that inventory, for who knows how long...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, I wouldn't do a trade towards a non-upgradable stone unless you are 1000% sure you're done upgrading and since your not, then getting the smaller I and doing the halo or waiting and a saving for a larger I is what I'd do. That's a bummer that you're jeweler won't offer the upgrade on any of the J stones though....

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I might just have the stones called in to see what they look like. I'll know immediately if I like the stone's facet structure and overall appearance once I see the stones.

I have a round stone that's a J, and my EC is a J. I just can't possibly imagine how a GIA graded J in a cushion can really be THAT yellow looking, you know? Maybe I'm totally wrong, though!

I think I'm more bothered over the fact that these stones are listed (on the website) as the vendor's "preferred" stones that come with a "lifetime upgrade" policy, yet, he's trying to tell me now he's not going to honor that...

I'll keep y'all updated.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

~LC

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
*I* have no trouble with a J color stone, I just think you should not give up your upgrade power.

Who is the vendor?

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I'd like to know who the vendor is too.

I find this "snag" rather annoying since you've been working with him/her. Maybe consider another vendor?

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
I have asked the vendor again (via email) about the whole non-upgrade issue with the stone. Let's see what he has to say before I mention his name here. I'm working with an assistant who is relaying information back and forth between me and him. I'm hoping it's just a "lost in translation" sort of thing.

I've been very happy with this vendor, which is the reason I went with him in the first place; however, if he really does stick to this issue, then, I might just have to go somewhere else.

I'll keep you posted.

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
Well, this whole deal may be a no-go. The three stones that I was going to look at are not available anymore. Apparently, the jeweler, Dimend Scaasi, allows various diamond vendors to upload their inventory onto his website. So, these stones are/were overseas, and the only way I can see them is if I buy them. Apparently, the only stones you're allowed to see on their "inner view" are the stones that are in-house already. They won't call in any stones for you to see before you buy them. I'm just baffled by that practice. I'm not going to buy a stone sight-unseen.

My original plan was to trade in my current stone with a little more money (about $500 to $1000 more) to get a more sparkly stone. However, I'm getting the vibe from DS that since I'm not spending a considerable amount more on the new stone, they aren't really interested in helping me.

Once I was told the three stones that I was interested in were already sold (and that I wouldn't be allowed to upgrade any of them in the future b/c they were J cushions -- even though one of them was a "DS preferred" stone), I asked if they could find me other stones with similar proportions. That was over 5 days ago, and I haven't heard a word from them.

I'm a bit disconcerted b/c the whole reason I purchased my stone and setting from them was their reputation and their upgrade/trade-in policy.

I really just don't know what to think at this point.

~LC

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would take what you just wrote. Call them tomorrow. Insist on talking to the owner, give them your name, your number and your PS name. And then tell them exactly what you told us.

And add: It's a tough market right now... I would think you would want to reward your loyal customers.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
That is ridiculous. If Dimend Scaasi's upgrade policy isn't worth the paper it's printed on, I would feel ripped off. :angryfire:

I'd call them and see if they change their tune.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
iota15|1304477886|2911782 said:
That is ridiculous. If Dimend Scaasi's upgrade policy isn't worth the paper it's printed on, I would feel ripped off. :angryfire:

I'd call them and see if they change their tune.
I completely agree with Iota.
I'm so sorry to hear this is going on.
Does anyone know if Dimend Scaasi have anyone who posts on PS? If so, I hope someone sees this thread and responds to you immediately.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the only problem here is that some of the most favored PS vendors also do not offer an upgrade policy on every stone they sell, so Dimend Scaasi certainly has every right to not do so as well. The only issue I see is the one stone that apparently indicated it could be upgraded on the site. That needed to be corrected on the website. But at least they told her before she went further with the purchase. When you order from the virtual stone list from almost any vendor, they will NOT guarantee a lifetime trade-in unless the stone meets the qualifications they require for lifetime trade-in. And it can certainly happen that stones from suppliers are sold before every vendor is notified or changes their web listings. So in this case, I do not see DS being in the wrong other than the one error on their website.

The issue of them not being responsive and trying to help you find a stone that can be called in is another issue. Some vendors do charge to call in stones for people to look at because they do incur some costs. But certainly one cannot buy a stone with no return policy, if that is what you are saying!

librarychickie

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1304479534|2911802 said:
Well, the only problem here is that some of the most favored PS vendors also do not offer an upgrade policy on every stone they sell, so Dimend Scaasi certainly has every right to not do so as well. The only issue I see is the one stone that apparently indicated it could be upgraded on the site. That needed to be corrected on the website. But at least they told her before she went further with the purchase. When you order from the virtual stone list from almost any vendor, they will NOT guarantee a lifetime trade-in unless the stone meets the qualifications they require for lifetime trade-in. And it can certainly happen that stones from suppliers are sold before every vendor is notified or changes their web listings. So in this case, I do not see DS being in the wrong other than the one error on their website.

The issue of them not being responsive and trying to help you find a stone that can be called in is another issue. Some vendors do charge to call in stones for people to look at because they do incur some costs. But certainly one cannot buy a stone with no return policy, if that is what you are saying!

I understand that they don't have to offer an upgrade on every stone they sell; however, every J colored cushion with an "Excellent" or "DS preferred" cut grade is listed as upgrade eligible. If they aren't going to honor that on J colored cushions, then, they need to change that on their website. The representative told me that they don't carry any J colored cushions in the store, so if that's what I want, I'll have to order from their virtual inventory and pay for it sight unseen. I just wish they had an option of "in stock" vs. "virtual" in their search options.

I would even consider purchasing a stone that's not upgradeable if it's a beautiful stone that I know I will be happy keeping forever. The issue is that they don't seem eager to help me.

I have a field trip today, so I won't be able to contact them until tomorrow. I don't want to bad mouth them b/c up until now, I've been very pleased with them and their customer service.

suzettesdiamonds

Rough_Rock
A step cut stone is going to show more "color" than a faceted stone, such as a rectangular/square modified brilliant or, as they are known, cushion. If you are not seeing much tint in your J color emerald stone that you now own, you probably will not see much in a much more faceted cushion cut stone. As a suggestion, you could look for a stone with a little bit of flo- that could cool off any tint of warmth that a J may, and that is a big may, show. J color, in a GIA stone, is still in the range of almost color-less grading. Also, be mindful of how you set the stone. The setting can enhance or detract from any color a diamond might show. One last thing, white diamonds are graded pavilion up, not face up, so look at the stone- it may not seem all that warm face-up. Hope this helps!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
librarychickie|1304471885|2911686 said:
My original plan was to trade in my current stone with a little more money (about $500 to $1000 more) to get a more sparkly stone. However, I'm getting the vibe from DS that since I'm not spending a considerable amount more on the new stone, they aren't really interested in helping me.

I'm a bit disconcerted b/c the whole reason I purchased my stone and setting from them was their reputation and their upgrade/trade-in policy.

I really just don't know what to think at this point.

~LC

I was planning to do something similar with my Crafted by Infinity diamond. When I mentioned it to the dealer I found out about the costs from their side. The trade-in diamond needs to be recertified, and there are costs to calling in stones that just won't be covered by a relatively small upgrade. They were definitely more interested in helping me if I was doing a larger upgrade. I decided to keep my current stone for the time being.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results