shape
carat
color
clarity

J Color 1.8 carat...to buy or not to buy?? GIA: triple ex

nola21

Rough_Rock
Hi all-- I am new to this forum, and have perused some of the threads, but would love some additional input...my original engagement ring was lost by a jeweler and so my husband and I are having a new one redesigned with a local jeweler. We have decided on (but not yet purchased) a J colored diamond...it looked beautiful in person, and I was unable to distinguish the color difference compared to other stones until after we saw the GIA reports, and only in certain lighting. I don't think I am as much color sensitive, but I do have an eye for inclusions, which was why I turned down a different stone of a higher color grading. My original stone was an I, and I loved it.

This stone is a 1.80 carat, SI1, triple excellent as rated by GIA.

(http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2207010028)

As we are having to go through this process, I want to be sure that we are making the best decision for our money, especially since this is round 2, and I was devastated when the original was lost! I wouldn't have considered a J, but fell in love with it in the store, but am now getting a bit anxious. Any advice you may have would be wonderful!!! Thank you in advance! :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: J Color 1.8 carat...to buy or not to buy?? GIA: triple e

nola12, I totally understand falling in love with a stone at a store. However, once you get it home, out of the jewelry store lighting, in your hallway or family room with beige or yellow walls, will you still love it? I'm just saying. Is there a return period? Can you keep it for a week and see how you like it outside living and going through the day with you? Then you can see it in the environs that you frequent. That is my suggestion.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The pavilion angle is a poor one.

Take it to a Hearts on Fire dealer and do a comparison side by side.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That stone probably will have some leakage and not be as brilliant as it could be. I would not buy it. You might find that trusted online vendors will have lower prices, too.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results