shape
carat
color
clarity

J and H colour sidestones for 3 stone ring?

Oceangirl

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I’m wondering about upgrading a small diamond I have to match another one I have that is slightly larger - with a view to using them as side stones for a three stone ring. I can see that the company I purchased the small diamond from has a diamond in the right size, but it’s an H colour and the one I’m trying to match is a J (with strong fluorescence).

Would the colour difference be too much?

We’re talking small diamonds around 0.4 carat.

The centre stone in the ring will likely be a champagne/light brown diamond around 1.2 carat - in case that makes a difference?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Oceangirl Someone who is color sensitive will say “without a doubt” it’s too much difference. Someone who is not color sensitive (or is not bothered by color or a difference in color among the stones) might say “it’s fine to me”. Everyone is different and has different tolerances; your eyes are what matter.

Have you seen them in person yourself? How will they be set? If the sides won’t be visible (e.g., bezels, a halo, etc.), the face-up color may not be too noticeable if the H is on the lower end and the J on the higher end of each diamond color’s spectrum. It’s also worth asking/knowing if both diamonds are GIA or AGS graded so that - at least - you know the same reputable standard is applied for assessing color in both diamonds. I’d be leery if each diamond was graded by a different lab, especially if that lab was not GIA or AGS.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This above
Plus the fluorescence only on the J. It will add one more viewing environment that probably will look totally different from another environment, between the two.
My sidestones are .44/J faint fluorescent and .43/k no fluor.
I notice the difference.
I’m ok with my choice, today.
If I let it bother me - that may change.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think it's going to be a color contrast that's visible. Do you have photos?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they're going either side of a champagne diamond, I'd be looking for them to be as white as possible, so the contrast is there.

Firstly, yes, I think you'll notice the difference between an H and a J, altho given that they're not next to each other should help. However, I definitely agree that the fluorescence difference will be a bigger problem.

How large is your center stone? Because I'm thinking - how about you buy smaller sides (say 2 x .25ct G colored diamonds), which would allow you to get whiter stones and bypass the J altogether? Then make a pendant from the J, where it would have no comparison. That would be my optimum suggestion.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi all,
I’m wondering about upgrading a small diamond I have to match another one I have that is slightly larger - with a view to using them as side stones for a three stone ring. I can see that the company I purchased the small diamond from has a diamond in the right size, but it’s an H colour and the one I’m trying to match is a J (with strong fluorescence).

Would the colour difference be too much?

We’re talking small diamonds around 0.4 carat.

The centre stone in the ring will likely be a champagne/light brown diamond around 1.2 carat - in case that makes a difference?

It would probably be too much color difference for me.

Oceangirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

The centre stone is about 1.2 carat.

I haven’t seen the H in person and wouldn’t be able to before buying it.

The stone I was thinking of trading up is a .28 carat I. colour with no fluoro. Like the .4 J. I bought both these stones as pendants but neither really does the trick - they seem to get lost on my neck! And as I have the champagne diamond - my original engagement stone - largely sitting around, I thought I’d move it and one of the smaller stones into a three stone right hand ring.

Perhaps I’ll skip the trade up idea then, and try to find a better match for the .28 I. as sidestones, and keep the J. for another project?

Will a 1.2 centre with sides around .28/.3 work?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

The centre stone is about 1.2 carat.

I haven’t seen the H in person and wouldn’t be able to before buying it.

The stone I was thinking of trading up is a .28 carat I. colour with no fluoro. Like the .4 J. I bought both these stones as pendants but neither really does the trick - they seem to get lost on my neck! And as I have the champagne diamond - my original engagement stone - largely sitting around, I thought I’d move it and one of the smaller stones into a three stone right hand ring.

Perhaps I’ll skip the trade up idea then, and try to find a better match for the .28 I. as sidestones, and keep the J. for another project?

Will a 1.2 centre with sides around .28/.3 work?

@Oceangirl -

I think .28 sides would look great! Proportionately, .28ct sides would be slightly larger than the sides on my 3 stone ring, which is in my avatar. My sides are 20% of my center stone; your .28ct sides would be approximately 23% of your center stone - ergo, a little larger.

I think this would be a very nice size combo. What is the trade-up policy on your .28ct diamond and your .4ct diamond? Or were you just thinking of selling them and using the funds towards new stones?

Can I ask if you have a budget for this? I have to say, I think 2 x .25ct G super-ideal cut stones would be best; size and color are very important, but you haven't mentioned the grade of cut you're looking for as yet, and that's hugely important.

But for contrast's sake, and for performance and proportion, I'd be looking for 2 x .25ct G diamonds.

Oceangirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks mrs-b and rfisher. I’ve not really set a budget, I’m just feeing bad about stones sitting around doing nothing. Both small diamonds are from BGD.

I think a plan rethink might be in order though. I put both small stones alongside the champagne diamond and, as was suggested by others here more than once :), they don’t really go together. The light champagne is too close to the I and J coloured stones. It all sort of blurs together in a mismatch way in certain lights. Worse still is the contrast between the super ideal cuts and the not-sure-what cut of the champagne diamond. Having the super ideals next to it doesn’t do the champagne any favours.

So I think I might go on a quest for a match to the J diamond. A slow quest, when funds present themselves. And acquire a coloured centre stone of some sort to complete the three stone idea with the J and it’s yet-to-be-found friend. No destiny for the I stone yet - perhaps a cheap halo setting to make it more impactful as a pendant? And the champagne can stay where it is for now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results