shape
carat
color
clarity

I've narrowed it down to these two...

grosx2

Rough_Rock
(I pulled most of this post from another thread I started, where it sort of got buried at the bottom, as I am looking for some quick opinions since I've already extended the reserve once)

Long story short, I'm between a 2.41 carat I and a 2.32 carat G; the G costs about $1500 more but both are within budget. Both are ACA, SI1 eye-clean, though the G stone has a few small dark spots that *could* be visible to the naked eye, which I describe a bit more below.

Color seems to be by far the most subjective of all the characteristics, from people that won't go below an F to people who can't notice any color in a J or even a K. The H-I range seems to be perhaps the biggest point of debate. I've been reading tons of old threads here on PS, and there are folks advocating for just about every different color.

Below are some side-by-side photos that the WF rep was kind enough to put together for me. The color is certainly noticeable in the face down, side by side view, but that's not how anyone will typically view the diamond, right? In the pic where they are both on a hand, I struggle to see any difference in color, even though they are right next to each other. Perhaps I'm not color sensitive at all, but both stones look pretty white to me!

One other thing to note: I noticed some dark spots on the magnified photos of the G stone; when I asked the rep about those, she said that, although it meets the WF standard for eye clean (10 inches away, normal overhead lighting, 20/20 vision), that a person with good eyesight might be able to notice the dark spots when viewed at a closer distance, say 6 or so inches away...

Here is the WF comparison page:

And here is the setting it will be in (since color/tint is most visible from the side, I've seen several folks mention that a 6 prong setting can help hide this):

Appreciate any opinions between these two!

HAND_2.41-2.321.jpg SBS_2.41-2.321.jpg TRAY_2.41-2.321.jpg

Last edited:

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
G

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
You're overthinking things, and several people already voted. My answer is still the G :)

grosx2

Rough_Rock
You're overthinking things, and several people already voted. My answer is still the G :)

Lol I certainly wish I was in a financial position to underthink a $30k purchase!! :)

But yes, I do tend to do that....as @tyty333 mentioned in the other thread, I need to make a decision and then STOP LOOKING, as all that seems to be doing is making my wallet lighter!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I personally like the I over the G. I just recently bought a J ACA and set it in a six prong setting. Face up you cannot see a tint, side view, a very slight hint of a tint, but barely noticeable. If you put the I next to the G you will see a difference in colour for sure. I much prefer the measurements on the I. All the other numbers are so similar between the I and G.

Colour is a personal choice, which colour will you be happy with?

Good luck deciding.

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, and I'm sure you don't want to hear this, but I'm not sure you'll be happy with either of these stones. I don't think you want an I, and I don't think you are ok with those inclusions. You'll always be looking for them. I completely understand wanting/needing to be done with your search, as I recently bought an ACA after a very long search.

If you need to be done now, I'd say pick whichever "flaw" you think will bother you least. As the owner of a J ACA, my priorities were size and clarity. Personally, I would constantly be looking for those spots in the G. The color in my J is there in some lighting, but I barely ever notice it. If/when I upgrade I may consider going a bit whiter, but it's not something that's eating away at me. Which thing will you be able to forget about the easiest? Or wait for a nice H middle ground to come in stock.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Well, apparently the I was the choice as it is now sold. I agree with @Decision_Decisions in that I don’t think either is the right stone. For me, however, I would not be happy with the I.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I would pick an I. In no way I would be looking at that big smudge on a G. I color is still fine. I have it in 2.57ct and love it. Still bright and far better than a whiter stone with a big crystal on a table. But I agree with @Decision_Decisions - I do not think you will be happy with either. If you have to post this many posts and still look for more stones and still not be sure, then there is something you do not like about any of the presented choices.

Last edited:

grosx2

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback! I did go with the I as someone noticed....my gf and I were both leaning that way, G was the more popular choice on here, but I just didn't want those inclusions. I spoke with the WF rep for awhile this morning, and she agreed that she would go with the I over the G for the same reason.

The thing is, I KNOW that the inclusions would bother me/her, but I really don't think the I color will, so I guess we will have to wait and see. I knew I wanted to get off the stone I bought last week with the transparency issue, so needed to get something else locked in, and now have peace of mind thanks to WF's generous 30-day return / lifetime upgrade policy. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for the feedback! I did go with the I as someone noticed....my gf and I were both leaning that way, G was the more popular choice on here, but I just didn't want those inclusions. I spoke with the WF rep for awhile this morning, and she agreed that she would go with the I over the G for the same reason.

The thing is, I KNOW that the inclusions would bother me/her, but I really don't think the I color will, so I guess we will have to wait and see. I knew I wanted to get off the stone I bought last week with the transparency issue, so needed to get something else locked in, and now have peace of mind thanks to WF's generous 30-day return / lifetime upgrade policy. Can't wait to see the finished product!!

i think youll be surprised at how big and beautifully cut all ACA diamonds are, in person. please post pics when you receive!

grosx2

Rough_Rock
So a little update; I ended up switching from the 2.41 carat I to the 2.32 carat G. And this is after I switched to the I from a 2.425 carat H ES (the G and I are both ACA), so it looks like the third diamond's the charm! Based on the responses in this thread (and this one: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/having-2nd-thoughts-opinions-please.270359/ ), the G was the overwhelming favorite on this forum, so I feel good about that!

This switch was a little more informed than the first, however, as my girlfriend and I decided that, given the price of the stones in question, it made sense for her to fly down to Houston and visit the WF showroom to see the diamonds in person. This worked out well since she was able to do it on the front end of a trip she already had planned, so it was really like only adding one flight, rather than a round trip.

Here are the four diamonds she viewed, along with her thoughts on each:

This was the smallest of the four, H color, and the only one that was a VS2 (the other three were all SI1). Interestingly enough, this was the only one that she could easily notice inclusions with the naked eye. She ruled this one out immediately.

This was the largest of the four, and also an H color. But this one was a ES, whereas the other three were ACA. This was the first diamond I purchased, but moved off of it due to a cloudiness issue that held it back from being ACA. The cloudiness was easily noticeable when compared to the other three, so she ruled this one out immediately as well.

This was the 2nd one I purchased, and was the only once that was an I color. She didn't notice much color difference between this and the G at first, until she saw them next to her setting. The platinum Vatche Swan pave setting that she had chosen has G diamonds in the band, and those made the yellow tint of the I stone very noticeable.

This is the one she ended up choosing. It had the highest color grade of the four, and is only 0.1 carat smaller than the two larger ones. She couldn't spot any of the inclusions that I mentioned in the initial post, until the WF rep pointed them out to her, and even then they were very tough to see. And the one that she could see with the least difficulty is near the edge, and should be able to be covered by a prong.

I definitely feel a lot better now that she was able to see all the diamonds in person at the same time to compare, and got to see them next to the setting that she chose. Very happy with our WF experience, nothing left to do now but wait to see the finished product!

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well done! I can’t wait to see the finished ring!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I’m so glad that she got to see and compare the stones in person! That G was my favorite of the bunch. I can’t wait to see it set.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The G was my favorite as well! Having your girlfriend see them in person for herself was an excellent idea!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a smart move letting her see the stones in person! Can’t wait to see the ring when finished!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That was definitely the best way to choose! Nothing like seeing diamonds in person!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results