carat
color
clarity

Having 2nd thoughts, opinions please!

grosx2

Rough_Rock
Here is the diamond I bought earlier this week:

Here is the one I'm now considering:

Carat and diameter are almost identical, price is very similar (less than $1k difference), and I'm sure I don't know enough to get much info from the IS/Aset/Hearts images (any expert opinions on those?)

From what I can see, the biggest tradeoff would be upgrading from ES to ACA, but downgrading from H to I. Here is what the WF rep had to say about why the one I bought didn't qualify for ACA:

"The diamond was placed in our Expert Selection category instead of A CUT ABOVE because the clarity features do have a negative impact on the transparency. The diamond appears slightly cloudy under certain lighting, primarily spot lighting."

Which of the two do you prefer? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

xxGypsyxx

Rough_Rock
I *really* wanted to come back & tell you that I preferred the one you've already purchased, but.... I didn't.
I'm so sorry. I know that's not what you want to hear. The second one just appears to have a bit more clarity & a lot more scintillation.

Best luck to you~

(I prefer this one.)
Diamond | 2.41 ct I SI1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond AGS Certified | 4437182

grosx2

Rough_Rock
I *really* wanted to come back & tell you that I preferred the one you've already purchased, but.... I didn't.
I'm so sorry. I know that's not what you want to hear. The second one just appears to have a bit more clarity & a lot more scintillation.

Best luck to you~

(I prefer this one.)
Diamond | 2.41 ct I SI1 A CUT ABOVE® Hearts and Arrows Super Ideal Round Cut Loose Diamond AGS Certified | 4437182

Please don't apologize, I appreciate your honest feedback! I spoke with the WF rep, and it wouldn't be any trouble to switch to the other diamond, given how recently I purchased the first one.

Just want to get some opinions from folks who are far more knowledgeable than me...

Do you think that the change from H to I is negligible?

Last edited:

xxGypsyxx

Rough_Rock
Oh good! That's a relief! I don't feel so bad about sharing my opinion then.

I do think the H to I color difference is absolutely negligible, especially when compared to the moderate improvement in clarity & major improvement in scintillation that I see.
Other than that, everything else is nearly identical as far as the cut, carat weight, & mm size & dimensions.
I think that the improvement you'll notice when viewing these two stones IRL/in person is going to be tremendous & the difference will be easily discernible. Just from the phone-screen I can appreciate a major difference. I think the second stone is absolutely the clear winner, & were it my decision to make, that would definitely be my personal choice.

It's a lovely, warm, lively stone, & I couldn't be happier for you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
For a reality check, perhaps you can ask WF for a side by side pic so you can compare the color difference? It will be a another data point. If there is no color difference, I would definitely go for the ACA.

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
I also was debating this when I upgraded my diamond with WF. I was looking at two I color ACAs but the slightly bigger one had a hazy appearance. I did a lot of research and this link helped me. I personally would not want a diamond that was cloudy or hazy even if it was only under certain lighting conditions. I did ask for a video from WF of the two diamonds and it did (along with other PSers) help me decide. Here is my thread if you want to read through. (Post #12 talks about the haziness)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If the clouds and transparency are your concern, then definitely swap.

Whiteflash protects your purchase for a lifetime with their outstanding upgrade program. Because of that, you aren't losing anything, despite bumping down one color grade. If it turns out to be a little too tinted for your liking, then you have all the time in the world to keep checking WF's inventory for a higher color grade alternative as new diamonds pop into stock.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
while I’m color sensitive and would never want an I, there’s no way I would ever buy a stone with a transparency issue. I commend WF for being so forthright. May I ask you the question: would you consider a stone slightly smaller to get a higher color? If it were me, I would definitely do that to avoid getting an I. In your size it will be apparent. You would still have a large diamond. Just an opinion….

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
Did you get to see the ES in person? I highly recommend getting it in your hands first. The ACA has clouds not shown noted in the cert, it would be good to see both IRL if you can.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd switch to the I too.

grosx2

Rough_Rock
@xxGypsyxx @lulu_ma @WDWDiamond @DejaWiz @Diamond_Enthusiast @tyty333 @anangel @Morenita21 @headlight @mrsctobe @Kim N
Thank you all so much for your insight, advice, and suggestions! Based on all the responses here, I did decide to move off of the H stone with transparency issues....problem solved, right??

Unfortunately, I can never make things that simple....now I've found another stone that I wonder if I should be considering over the I stone from the initial post. It's about a tenth of a carat smaller (2.41 vs 2.32), but G color instead of I; also costs a bit more, but still within budget.

Here are some side-by-side photos that the WF rep was kind enough to put together for me. The color is certainly noticeable in the face down, side by side view, but that's not how anyone will typically view the diamond, right? In the pic when they are both on a hand, I struggle to see any difference in color, even though they are right next to each other. Perhaps I'm not color sensitive at all, but both stones look pretty white to me!

One other thing to note: I noticed some dark spots on the magnified photos of the G stone; when I asked the rep about those, she said that, although it meets the WF standard for eye clean (10 inches away, normal overhead lighting, 20/20 vision), that a person with good eyesight might be able to notice the dark spots when viewed at a closer distance, say 6 inches away...

Appreciate any opinions between these two!

Edit: here is a comparison

HAND_2.41-2.321.jpg SBS_2.41-2.321.jpg TRAY_2.41-2.321.jpg

Last edited:

mrsctobe

Shiny_Rock
@xxGypsyxx @lulu_ma @WDWDiamond @DejaWiz @Diamond_Enthusiast @tyty333 @anangel @Morenita21 @headlight @mrsctobe @Kim N
Thank you all so much for your insight, advice, and suggestions! Based on all the responses here, I did decide to move off of the H stone with transparency issues....problem solved, right??

Unfortunately, I can never make things that simple....now I've found another stone that I wonder if I should be considering over the I stone from the initial post. It's about a tenth of a carat smaller (2.41 vs 2.32), but G color instead of I; also costs a bit more, but still within budget.

Here are some side-by-side photos that the WF rep was kind enough to put together for me. The color is certainly noticeable in the face down, side by side view, but that's not how anyone will typically view the diamond, right? In the pic when they are both on a hand, I struggle to see any difference in color, even though they are right next to each other. Perhaps I'm not color sensitive at all, but both stones look pretty white to me!

One other thing to note: I noticed some dark spots on the magnified photos of the G stone; when I asked the rep about those, she said that, although it meets the WF standard for eye clean (10 inches away, normal overhead lighting, 20/20 vision), that a person with good eyesight might be able to notice the dark spots when viewed at a closer distance, say 6 inches away...

I like the brighter color of the G. At a stone that size, color becomes a bit more noticeable - yes from the side, but for some from up top as well. When you get the stone in-hand, youll see that a 2.3ct looks pretty dang massive. and the difference between the two is extremely small, carat wise.

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
I like the G. Size difference is not noticeable between the two, but the color will be especially at 2.3ct.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I think the white looks so bright that you really can’t see the difference in size. I think that would be an awesome choice!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the G as well. I think unless you think your GF will be looking at her ring from 6 inches away frequently, no one will ever notice the inclusions. But the whiteness is readily apparent and the size difference is negligible. You can't really go wrong here, though!

grosx2

Rough_Rock
I think the white looks so bright that you really can’t see the difference in size. I think that would be an awesome choice!

Thanks, do you have a preference between the G or the I?

Diamond_Enthusiast

Shiny_Rock
I'm color sensitive so I'll vote the G. The size difference isn't going to be really noticeable unless you study them side by side. At that carat weight, I think it is worth trading a little size for two color grades increase.

As for how often people see the side view of the stone, the wearer will more often than you might think. Also depends on how much of it is covered by the choosen setting.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with others - go with the G!

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
I think the G as well. Size difference is negligible

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock

I personally would go with the G as I am color sensitive. I had a high “I” and the color still bothered me that I changed my stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not too color-sensitive but I would move to the G. I'm not seeing too much size difference and a G is a very safe color when
the stone is a gift to someone else (both look beautiful though). I think the G is a good choice. Remember, WF has a very generous
upgrade policy if somewhere down the road you/spouse want to go up in size.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I’ve been admiring that G on WF’s site for a while now. It’s a beautiful stone and I doubt that the inclusions would be very noticeable. I’d rather have a higher color than clarity.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
grosx2 I really like the 2.321 G SI1 that you found! With the inclusion being right at the edge of the table and nearly hiding under the crown, I don't feel as if it would be of major concern.

It appears cleaner than this 2.218 H VS2 that has a similar inclusion, but more towards the center of the table:

Great choice - the proportions and angles between it and the 2.410 I SI1 are close enough to be darn-near within the AGS gross rounding margins. I think you'll be completely blown away by the 2.321ct G SI1.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, do you have a preference between the G or the I?
The G was the whiter, brighter diamond in your pictures in my opinion. You’ve really focused on what’s easily picked up by the human eye with that one- nice transparency, a true near colorless (at over 2 carats, the I would have had some tint- not saying it would be noticeable in every situation, but again, personal tolerance), and the cut is literally a Cut Above.
That should be a stunning diamond!

grosx2

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the feedback!! It seems that the consensus is that I shouldn't be scared off by those dark spots in the G that could possibly be visible when viewed at a close distance?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now, stop looking!:lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results