clarity

I've been offered a one carat OEC but it's chipped

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@StephanieLynn, first of all amazing find! I love the face-up size! :kiss2: And it's such a pretty stone. I was thinking along the lines of the jeweler - a 6 prong setting, or maybe even a vintage 8 prong setting? Those are hard to find though and would probably end up being a bit costly. But I like the idea of six prongs, I think it will help "round out" the diamond and offer a little more protection, and you can keep this setting (which is pretty)...and your jeweler's quote is quite reasonable imo. I say go for it!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @junebug58 I wasn't thinking about changing the head but it's a great solution, I really felt like my one two options were a polish and loss of weight or a bezel.

I should have it back the end of next week!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @junebug58 I wasn't thinking about changing the head but it's a great solution, I really felt like my one two options were a polish and loss of weight or a bezel.

I should have it back the end of next week!

Great, I'm looking forward to seeing it! :dance:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond, I understand where you're coming from, I certainly don't agree with I'm about a recut and value, I could go that route and have it sent to a PS vendor and keep the OEC cut so I took what he said with a serious grain of salt.

As far as the reset, I kind of don't know what the best answer is, have a bezel that is really thick to cover all the damage but makes the stone look smaller or have more prongs in the hope that it is somehow better protected :confused:

I just know I'm not okay with it as is but this is new territory and I don't want to muck things up and make it worse either.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi StephanieLynn
Seeing as how you've already made a decision I deleted my post.....I just want it to work out best for you!!
Finding a cutter able to do this work will be a tough challenge.....I'm sure it will look great once you have it set

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@amoline @StephanieLynn Thank you!
This might be the most perfect solution I’ve ever seen! Who made the necklace for you? Was the stone only slightly chipped or was it rough?
Completely gorgeous!
David Klass made the necklace. I don't remember how the chip felt to the touch. I guess it was a bit of a waste to recut it since I ended up bezeling it anyways, but it did help the faceting since the chip was reflected all throughout the stone.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rockdiamond, oh no need to delete it, I appreciate all thoughts and responses even if they conflict with mine. I'm no expert, you have a vast knowledge. Even without your response I have my reservations but I trust that it will be okay and will definitely share the results.

Thank you so much for taking time to respond too, I really appreciate it!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! A six prong head is a great idea.
And the price of $240 is way less than any of the other options.
I'm looking forward to seeing the new ring!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@stracci2000, I don't know why I didn't think of six prongs, no offense to anyone who has a bezel set diamond but they are just not for me so if it can be avoided then great.

Maybe down the line I will make a trip to August Vintage and have Rhino look at it and at least find out how much weight would be lost etc but that is way down the road. I'm very attached to this diamond for some reason, like I hate that I will be without it for over a week, silly right?

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I think that's the cutest thing I've heard on this forum (full disclosure- I have a soft spot for K9 special needs rescues).
Awww! All my fur babies are rescues... two of them are special needs kids. I hope it's not wrong to include antique diamonds in my rescue instinct... I do it for old ironstone and china too! I can't help myself.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny story about adopting special needs pets. Way back when we were first living together DH and I heard about a hoarding situation of cats rescued by animal control in our state. Went to pick out a cat and I picked this little black and white cat, skinny, missing the tip of her ear, smelled bad, just a sad looking case, she's the one I had to have!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Funny story about adopting special needs pets. Way back when we were first living together DH and I heard about a hoarding situation of cats rescued by animal control in our state. Went to pick out a cat and I picked this little black and white cat, skinny, missing the tip of her ear, smelled bad, just a sad looking case, she's the one I had to have!
Yes! This!

steviedsgirl

Rough_Rock
Okay went to see the jeweler and he was very impressed with both the color and clarity, said it is very clean and his first suggestion.....have his diamond cutter recut it into a MRB:confused2: He said as is it would be lucky to fetch $500 but recut into a modern night fetch $4,000 :snooty:

No, not interested, which I could see he was surprised about so I suggested a bezel setting but he felt like too much of the diamond would get covered by the bezel to completely cover the damaged areas and would make the diamond look smaller. His suggestion is to have the four prong head cut out and put in a six prong head which would better protect the diamond and save the setting. He gave me a price of $240 for that and a resize. He showed me an example of his prong work and I was happy with what I saw.

So that is the plan, thoughts on that? I realize I will still need to be careful with it, I always take my rings off for any strenuous activities or housework.

Yes yes yes! I am doing the same thing to my Amelia. :geek2: And, woof! I thought Amelia had chipping issues on her knife-edge girdle, but I see that by comparison they're barely nibbles. So I'm taking her out of the 4-prong, 14 kwg peg-head (plunked off-center into a platinum wedding set....WTF?) and putting her into a 6 prong platinum head -- rotating the stone as needed to cover the worst chips and offset some of her inherent cut wonkiness.

Can't wait to see the result of your re-set!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@steviedsgirl yeah my chips are pretty significant, I couldn't sleep at night if I knew I did that to my diamond :shock: It's nerve wracking waiting for this ring to be done too. Be sure to share pics of your reset too! We all love to see before and afters!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This post has convinced me that my cowardly decision to remove Edwina from her new ring setting was the right choice! I can’t wait to see OP’s new setting/head peg.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@InsecureSweetGirl, surely Edwina is one of the greatest pawn shop finds on PS, I actually went back through your original thread when you got her graded. Just gorgeous :kiss2:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks @StephanieLynn we are like WonderTwins of oec bargains!
Someday at a PS get together we can introduce our stones, right? I mean they must be cousins. #diamondFamily

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your setting as is! So classic. I don’t think wearing it as is would cause it more damage. I would keep it in this setting (and this is coming from the reset queen. Lol.) Or, I’d take my time until the dream setting fell on my lap. I’m sure there is one out there. But in the meantime, I’d enjoy the heck out of this one. Then again, I’m not really a solitaire girl. Lol.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@InsecureSweetGirl, we are the vintage rescue squad lol! I haven't been to a GTG yet but absolutely we will introduce them someday, Edwina will be like "damn girl what happened to you" lol!

@nala, you really have me second guessing myself about doing the six prongs so that leads me to ask anyone still reading this thread....

Who thinks I should just leave the setting as is? Maybe I should make a thread with a poll.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I want to be really supportive no matter what you choose. Can I just say though, I would love to see her reset! There’s my vote!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @InsecureSweetGirl, I started a poll so feel free to vote! I am so stressed about this because I'm afraid of making the wrong decision and then having something go wrong:oops2:

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @InsecureSweetGirl, I started a poll so feel free to vote! I am so stressed about this because I'm afraid of making the wrong decision and then having something go wrong:oops2:

I'm not sure you can do wrong. I think you should change the setting personally.

My previous setting was four prong and the diamond girdle jutted out like this one. On at least a few occasions I by mistake whacked it against something like a door etc - hard enough to actually scrape the shank against my finger and remove skin. Mine was low set and I was careful but it happened, you know? I would be worried, this stone is already battered and I would be worried about it surviving that kind of insult. So I would change it.

ETA: also when it's unset it can be weighed and you can tell us what carat weight it is. :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lykame, very good points about resetting it completely because even though we are careful, stuff happens and you just never know what knock or bang will do. I am also excited to find out the weight!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I was back at Cheers Pawn today mainly to hang out while the husband and kids went to Dave and Busters. One of the girls who works there came in and I told her about my diamond ring and she said she got an old mine cushion from there, the owner sold it to her for $800 and it was a 1.11 carat! Boy do I wish I had known about the deals at pawn shops a long time ago!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results