Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

I've abandoned the enclosed basket/bucket idea.

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
I'm like a ghost that is haunting this place, lol.
(Just floating around in the background. Dumb joke.)

I've decided I either want 1. a halo that allows a ring to fit decently flush, or 2. I want a standalone ring.
I've been talked out of a halo that has a heavy basket. (Hard to clean, prob not for me.)

I am actually less keen on a pave shank (halo); The idea of a smooth band appeals to me.

But the halos with a plain shank seem hard to come by. And some look lacking by comparison.

I love many of the rings on JewelsbyGrace. I also like Love Affair Diamonds a lot.
I look at these sites daily. But I haven't found THE one on JBG. And I suspect LAD halo rings all sit a bit higher than I'd prefer.
And it doesn't appear that bands fit flush with any of the halos.

Just thinking out loud here. Sigh.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-inspired/1-07ct-old-european-cut-diamond-art-deco-inspired-halo-ring-1103#.V2l7LVK1U8A

I feel like this one is close - for a standalone ring.

It has a smooth shank, doesn't need a band, is interesting.

But the metal bezel is a bit wider than I prefer. Not a huge deal, though. And the center stone is a tiny bit smaller than I'd hoped.
I almost wish the center was a tad bigger and then the rest could shrink down to fit.

I do also worry that people would think it looks like a Chevy emblem. Lol.

I am overthinking this ring stuff.
 

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 15, 2015
Messages
246
LOL the chevy emblem?! I don't even know what that looks like! You are most definitely overthinking this (not that I don't do the exact same thing always and with everything).
 

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
562
Have you looked at the Victor Canera Emilya? He does one with a flush fit, and I know a few people have them with plain shanks.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
jaaron|1466536100|4046377 said:
Have you looked at the Victor Canera Emilya? He does one with a flush fit, and I know a few people have them with plain shanks.
I don't recall - but I don't think so. I will check them out. Thanks!
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,393
iwantsparkle|1466530757|4046339 said:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-inspired/1-07ct-old-european-cut-diamond-art-deco-inspired-halo-ring-1103#.V2l7LVK1U8A

I feel like this one is close - for a standalone ring.

It has a smooth shank, doesn't need a band, is interesting.

But the metal bezel is a bit wider than I prefer. Not a huge deal, though. And the center stone is a tiny bit smaller than I'd hoped.
I almost wish the center was a tad bigger and then the rest could shrink down to fit.

I do also worry that people would think it looks like a Chevy emblem. Lol.

I am overthinking this ring stuff.
FWIW I love that ring! I also check JBG and DBL daily so I can drool/make a wish list, and this one caught my eye immediately . I definitely think it's a great stand alone option, and I don't think it looks like the chevy emblem either. I'd just keep it in mind, especially because it meets so many of your requirements!

ETA: could you remind me of your budget, and cut/size preference?
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
I absolutely love halos with plain shanks, and I think they go well with a plain wedding band or a diamond band that matches the halo style. I love the style so much, I started a thread a while ago: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/[/URL] I tried to list the source of the rings in that thread.

A lot of the examples have prongs, but I am guessing that some vendors could make them with the center stone bezeled.

This might be a good example of a ring that could be a standalone without being overwhelming, since the airline adds visual presence. I also know that Beverly K does customization: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
lovedogs|1466543799|4046403 said:
iwantsparkle|1466530757|4046339 said:
http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-inspired/1-07ct-old-european-cut-diamond-art-deco-inspired-halo-ring-1103#.V2l7LVK1U8A

I feel like this one is close - for a standalone ring.

It has a smooth shank, doesn't need a band, is interesting.

But the metal bezel is a bit wider than I prefer. Not a huge deal, though. And the center stone is a tiny bit smaller than I'd hoped.
I almost wish the center was a tad bigger and then the rest could shrink down to fit.

I do also worry that people would think it looks like a Chevy emblem. Lol.

I am overthinking this ring stuff.
FWIW I love that ring! I also check JBG and DBL daily so I can drool/make a wish list, and this one caught my eye immediately . I definitely think it's a great stand alone option, and I don't think it looks like the chevy emblem either. I'd just keep it in mind, especially because it meets so many of your requirements!

ETA: could you remind me of your budget, and cut/size preference?
I really keep swaying back and forth on this one and for some reason it helps that others chime in to say it isn't a Chevy emblem. lol.

I look at it like 3x a day. Lol.

My budget is about $15k (all in if I need a band, too - but I would be happy with a smaller/thinner/less crazy band).

Prefer platinum, but I am keeping an open mind. Especially to two tone things like platinum with a dash of rose gold or something.
Like round stones best, but would consider a cushion maaaaybe.
Hoping for a center stone closer to 1.5 carats, however it seems standalones may be smaller if in a busier setting.

Really like halos, too. But I can't seem to find that plain shank that isn't completely open on the side. I want a little something - petals/metal/something going on. :)
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
rubybeth|1466545268|4046409 said:
I absolutely love halos with plain shanks, and I think they go well with a plain wedding band or a diamond band that matches the halo style. I love the style so much, I started a thread a while ago: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/[/URL] I tried to list the source of the rings in that thread.

A lot of the examples have prongs, but I am guessing that some vendors could make them with the center stone bezeled.

This might be a good example of a ring that could be a standalone without being overwhelming, since the airline adds visual presence. I also know that Beverly K does customization: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/
I did a little gasp when I clicked on your link - is that your halo, or did you post someone elses? I need to check out 77 diamonds.

I also really like the Beverly K/Pearlman's ring. I wish it didn't have a gap between the halo and stone, but it actually doesn't bug me when I see it on that ring. I do wish the basket (petals) were not hearts, though.
But otherwise, I think this is the kind of halo I would get. Do you think a band would sit somewhat flush?

Off to google 77 diamonds...
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
iwantsparkle|1466546336|4046419 said:
rubybeth|1466545268|4046409 said:
I absolutely love halos with plain shanks, and I think they go well with a plain wedding band or a diamond band that matches the halo style. I love the style so much, I started a thread a while ago: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-halos-with-plain-shanks.157864/[/URL] I tried to list the source of the rings in that thread.

A lot of the examples have prongs, but I am guessing that some vendors could make them with the center stone bezeled.

This might be a good example of a ring that could be a standalone without being overwhelming, since the airline adds visual presence. I also know that Beverly K does customization: http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/102PP1/
I did a little gasp when I clicked on your link - is that your halo, or did you post someone elses? I need to check out 77 diamonds.

I also really like the Beverly K/Pearlman's ring. I wish it didn't have a gap between the halo and stone, but it actually doesn't bug me when I see it on that ring. I do wish the basket (petals) were not hearts, though.
But otherwise, I think this is the kind of halo I would get. Do you think a band would sit somewhat flush?

Off to google 77 diamonds...
No, it's not my ring, that's Gypsy's ring (you've seen it in your other thread--she shared pictures) and she had it re-done by Steven Kirsch because the original had some issues, you can read alllll about it in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feeling-crazy-um-re-set-my-ring.155454/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feeling-crazy-um-re-set-my-ring.155454/[/URL]

And Gypsy, of course, is still around so I'm sure would answer any questions. Steven Kirsch gets lots of good PS reviews, here's his site: http://stevenkirsch.com/

As for the basket being hearts on that Beverly K ring, I think this is why you should just bite the bullet and go custom. And no, a band likely wouldn't sit flush at all with that ring. You can't have both a petal basket and a totally flush fit. It's what Gypsy and I have been telling you in all your threads. :bigsmile: But you keep saying you want a standalone ring, but then you want a flush fit band. What I think you really want:

A halo with the center stone in a bezel with some prescence from the top view
A beautiful side (gallery) view, like a petal shaped basket
Flush fit option for a band

Have you seen DorotheaBrooke's ring? It's my absolute fave, am going to have a version of it made for my OEC someday. It's a bezel with a petal basket, and if you didn't have diamonds on the doughnut underneath, a band could be worn next to it. You could have a halo version made with diamonds on the metal part of the bezel: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-swoon-rose-gold-romance
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
.[/quote]

No, it's not my ring, that's Gypsy's ring (you've seen it in your other thread--she shared pictures) and she had it re-done by Steven Kirsch because the original had some issues, you can read alllll about it in this thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feeling-crazy-um-re-set-my-ring.155454/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/feeling-crazy-um-re-set-my-ring.155454/[/URL]

And Gypsy, of course, is still around so I'm sure would answer any questions. Steven Kirsch gets lots of good PS reviews, here's his site: http://stevenkirsch.com/

As for the basket being hearts on that Beverly K ring, I think this is why you should just bite the bullet and go custom. And no, a band likely wouldn't sit flush at all with that ring. You can't have both a petal basket and a totally flush fit. It's what Gypsy and I have been telling you in all your threads. :bigsmile: But you keep saying you want a standalone ring, but then you want a flush fit band. What I think you really want:

A halo with the center stone in a bezel with some prescence from the top view
A beautiful side (gallery) view, like a petal shaped basket
Flush fit option for a band

Have you seen DorotheaBrooke's ring? It's my absolute fave, am going to have a version of it made for my OEC someday. It's a bezel with a petal basket, and if you didn't have diamonds on the doughnut underneath, a band could be worn next to it. You could have a halo version made with diamonds on the metal part of the bezel: https://www.pricescope.com/blog/jewel-week-swoon-rose-gold-romance[/quote]






This made me laugh. You are right. I am a ring-tortured soul, ok? :lol:

I am in Denver. How would I go about making a custom ring at a reputable place? It sounds like Gypsy liked working with SK - so maybe something online like that? I don't know why I dislike the idea of making a custom ring - like it will somehow give me license to be supremely disappointed if I go through all that effort only to possibly feel "meh, should've just found a ring?"

However, I do love DorotheaBrooke's ring, and the idea of getting something specific to me is enticing.
Thinking aloud here, but maybe part of my problem was that I going back and forth between [standalone] - [halo + band] - [standalone] - [halo + band].

I think I'd be pleased to have a halo + skinny band (and hey, more options this way because I did enjoy wearing only a band some days).

Can anyone chime in on how much more expensive a custom setting tends to be? Of course it depends on what you want, but how does it tend to work? For example, do you get X number of revisions and then they decide you are an epic pain in the ass and you move up a tier in price? :D Is it more of a flat rate + materials? Hourly rate?

I am just wondering if I should try to go custom or if the price tag is scary and I am better off continuing to search settings.
I am fine with a OEC diamond - and hope to get everything (setting, stone, band) for $15k max - so I wonder if custom is in my budget.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Oops, I butchered the formatting, sorry.

People are probably picturing a 90 year old typing. I am just not used to this message board format. :)
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
Custom is based on materials costs and labor--not time spent (they factor in time when giving you the quote). You often get what you pay for. You can also ask vendors how revisions to CAD work--how many revisions are common, is there an additional cost for extra revisions, etc. Also ask about communication--I was very impressed with how quickly I've gotten responses from some vendors, even though I am clearly not in a position to buy a setting yet. And some vendors will offer frequent updates, while others will only be in touch as needed. If you need a lot of communication/hand-holding, some vendors may be better with this--you can say that up-front.

You can get multiple quotes and compare pricing, but also consider the "get what you pay for" mantra when doing that. And also consider the style of the setting--seeing examples of their work, reading reviews on Pricescope, etc. Someone who might be awesome at modern settings might not be a good choice for a vintage style setting, for example.

Quotes may vary quite a bit. For example, when I went to get a quote from Maytal Hannah for a similar ring to the one DorotheaBrooke has, she quoted $3,000 for platinum (because I want white metal and she won't do white gold). Then I got a quote from Love Affair Diamonds/Caysie van Bebber (CvB/LAD), and the quote was around $2,000 for 18k white gold. Then I decided to e-mail David Klass (no website but you can find his Facebook page; he's based in LA) for 18k white gold, and he quoted under $1,000 (yes, UNDER). I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
rubybeth|1466617523|4046705 said:
Custom is based on materials costs and labor--not time spent (they factor in time when giving you the quote). You often get what you pay for. You can also ask vendors how revisions to CAD work--how many revisions are common, is there an additional cost for extra revisions, etc. Also ask about communication--I was very impressed with how quickly I've gotten responses from some vendors, even though I am clearly not in a position to buy a setting yet. And some vendors will offer frequent updates, while others will only be in touch as needed. If you need a lot of communication/hand-holding, some vendors may be better with this--you can say that up-front.

You can get multiple quotes and compare pricing, but also consider the "get what you pay for" mantra when doing that. And also consider the style of the setting--seeing examples of their work, reading reviews on Pricescope, etc. Someone who might be awesome at modern settings might not be a good choice for a vintage style setting, for example.

Quotes may vary quite a bit. For example, when I went to get a quote from Maytal Hannah for a similar ring to the one DorotheaBrooke has, she quoted $3,000 for platinum (because I want white metal and she won't do white gold). Then I got a quote from Love Affair Diamonds/Caysie van Bebber (CvB/LAD), and the quote was around $2,000 for 18k white gold. Then I decided to e-mail David Klass (no website but you can find his Facebook page; he's based in LA) for 18k white gold, and he quoted under $1,000 (yes, UNDER). I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
Thanks. This is helpful.

To the bold - do you mean that you will ask them to make up their design and then you will say yay/nay? Is this like plans to a house or something where you pay for the design whether or not you decide to move forward. Or, just if you decide to get the ring from them?

I do love LAD. I should look into working with her. And then maybe go from there.

I'll do a few hundred more internet searches while I mull this over. Ha.
 

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 31, 2014
Messages
10,393
iwantsparkle|1466630594|4046854 said:
rubybeth|1466617523|4046705 said:
Custom is based on materials costs and labor--not time spent (they factor in time when giving you the quote). You often get what you pay for. You can also ask vendors how revisions to CAD work--how many revisions are common, is there an additional cost for extra revisions, etc. Also ask about communication--I was very impressed with how quickly I've gotten responses from some vendors, even though I am clearly not in a position to buy a setting yet. And some vendors will offer frequent updates, while others will only be in touch as needed. If you need a lot of communication/hand-holding, some vendors may be better with this--you can say that up-front.

You can get multiple quotes and compare pricing, but also consider the "get what you pay for" mantra when doing that. And also consider the style of the setting--seeing examples of their work, reading reviews on Pricescope, etc. Someone who might be awesome at modern settings might not be a good choice for a vintage style setting, for example.

Quotes may vary quite a bit. For example, when I went to get a quote from Maytal Hannah for a similar ring to the one DorotheaBrooke has, she quoted $3,000 for platinum (because I want white metal and she won't do white gold). Then I got a quote from Love Affair Diamonds/Caysie van Bebber (CvB/LAD), and the quote was around $2,000 for 18k white gold. Then I decided to e-mail David Klass (no website but you can find his Facebook page; he's based in LA) for 18k white gold, and he quoted under $1,000 (yes, UNDER). I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
Thanks. This is helpful.

To the bold - do you mean that you will ask them to make up their design and then you will say yay/nay? Is this like plans to a house or something where you pay for the design whether or not you decide to move forward. Or, just if you decide to get the ring from them?

I do love LAD. I should look into working with her. And then maybe go from there.

I'll do a few hundred more internet searches while I mull this over. Ha.
I think the best way to start something like this is to have a rough idea of what you want (which you do), and then look at Vendors' work to see who you feel is best at executing the design you want. For example, some people are masters at making halos, others are amazing at creating fluid and sleek bezel settings--it depends on what you want. Mostly you will pay more for either 1) really high end vendors like SK, Victor Canera, etc, or 2) pricer metals, as mentioned above, some vendors only work in platinum which obviously automatically makes them pricer than ones who work in 14K gold. I think with David Klass it's relatively well known/accepted that the first version of the CAD likely won't be what you want to go with--people here often post the CAD and then have prosumers help them tweak it to make it more pleasing. That's a bit of extra work for you as the buyer, but DK is more cost effective than most. There are some vendors who you can just sit back and let them do their thing (and also some who just don't accept clients who want to be "part" of the process and have input at every step), so for some people that's a good thing, and others dislike it. I think with your budget I'd go with LAD--her aesthetic is similar to things you love, and she's incredibly talented.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
iwantsparkle|1466630594|4046854 said:
rubybeth|1466617523|4046705 said:
I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
Thanks. This is helpful.

To the bold - do you mean that you will ask them to make up their design and then you will say yay/nay? Is this like plans to a house or something where you pay for the design whether or not you decide to move forward. Or, just if you decide to get the ring from them?

I do love LAD. I should look into working with her. And then maybe go from there.

I'll do a few hundred more internet searches while I mull this over. Ha.
No, that's not what I mean/how it works. I mean that I will get what I want (if it takes multiple tweaks from David Klass or whatever), but base my decision on pricing and other details. And different vendors do different pricing (like, money down for a deposit, and then payments, or whatever). I will likely choose the vendor that fits my budget at the time I want the ring--could probably afford David Klass sooner, but I really appreciate all of the details of the LAD/CvB rings I've seen. I probably can't justify the price of the original by Maytal Hannah (I've told my DH my budget for re-set is around $2k), and I don't want platinum since all my other rings are gold.

Generally, you give the designer/vendor a really good idea of what you want (show them photos, tell them what you envision, metal type, ring size, etc.), they give you a quote, then you make a deposit and send your stone and they get to work--some can share CAD images (computer aided design) so you can see a mock-up of what the ring will look like. Sometimes vendors will also do drawings to give you an idea of the completed design. And then you say yes, or no, or change this or that, and see more CAD/drawings. And then they complete the ring and send photos.

If you decide to go the custom route, ask about the steps involved and what to expect.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
For you, I do not recommend Steven for you. Why? He doesn't do CAD. And I think CAD is a MUST HAVE for you.

Steven requires a level of confidence and trust and frankly, an ability to let go that (and I mean this in the best possible way), I'm not sensing you will have given how new this is all for you.

Working with Steven was an act of faith. I largely told him what I wanted in terms of melee and general look and told him I trusted him for all the other details. But it was something like my 5th custom project at that point so I was rather sanguine about the whole thing.

You have already said you really like CVB's aesthetic. Now, you should read the reviews on any vendor you are planning on working with, that's just basic research. And if you decide that CVB will work for you after you read the reviews, then I think she would be a great fit for you.

Alternately I would recommend Whiteflash or David Klass. But I think CVB is a good fit.

If Maytal Hannah does CAD, she might be as well. I would normally recommend Brilliantly Engaged, but due to recent events, I am unable to recommend them.
 

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Nov 12, 2007
Messages
2,565
Gypsy|1466657888|4046999 said:
If Maytal Hannah does CAD, she might be as well. I would normally recommend Brilliantly Engaged, but due to recent events, I am unable to recommend them.
I will also add that I reached out to BE about a quote for the same style ring (like DorotheaBrooke's), and their reply was basically, "What did you have in mind?" and I was kind of at a loss so didn't reply. I wanted a more firm number so I could compare. It seemed more like a negotiation, and I wasn't in a position to start the process anytime soon, so I left it.

Edited to add this as a potential inspiration ring: http://www.noamcarver.com/details.asp?SKU=B072-01WM-100A
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
lovedogs|1466631466|4046859 said:
iwantsparkle|1466630594|4046854 said:
rubybeth|1466617523|4046705 said:
Custom is based on materials costs and labor--not time spent (they factor in time when giving you the quote). You often get what you pay for. You can also ask vendors how revisions to CAD work--how many revisions are common, is there an additional cost for extra revisions, etc. Also ask about communication--I was very impressed with how quickly I've gotten responses from some vendors, even though I am clearly not in a position to buy a setting yet. And some vendors will offer frequent updates, while others will only be in touch as needed. If you need a lot of communication/hand-holding, some vendors may be better with this--you can say that up-front.

You can get multiple quotes and compare pricing, but also consider the "get what you pay for" mantra when doing that. And also consider the style of the setting--seeing examples of their work, reading reviews on Pricescope, etc. Someone who might be awesome at modern settings might not be a good choice for a vintage style setting, for example.

Quotes may vary quite a bit. For example, when I went to get a quote from Maytal Hannah for a similar ring to the one DorotheaBrooke has, she quoted $3,000 for platinum (because I want white metal and she won't do white gold). Then I got a quote from Love Affair Diamonds/Caysie van Bebber (CvB/LAD), and the quote was around $2,000 for 18k white gold. Then I decided to e-mail David Klass (no website but you can find his Facebook page; he's based in LA) for 18k white gold, and he quoted under $1,000 (yes, UNDER). I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
Thanks. This is helpful.

To the bold - do you mean that you will ask them to make up their design and then you will say yay/nay? Is this like plans to a house or something where you pay for the design whether or not you decide to move forward. Or, just if you decide to get the ring from them?

I do love LAD. I should look into working with her. And then maybe go from there.

I'll do a few hundred more internet searches while I mull this over. Ha.
I think the best way to start something like this is to have a rough idea of what you want (which you do), and then look at Vendors' work to see who you feel is best at executing the design you want. For example, some people are masters at making halos, others are amazing at creating fluid and sleek bezel settings--it depends on what you want. Mostly you will pay more for either 1) really high end vendors like SK, Victor Canera, etc, or 2) pricer metals, as mentioned above, some vendors only work in platinum which obviously automatically makes them pricer than ones who work in 14K gold. I think with David Klass it's relatively well known/accepted that the first version of the CAD likely won't be what you want to go with--people here often post the CAD and then have prosumers help them tweak it to make it more pleasing. That's a bit of extra work for you as the buyer, but DK is more cost effective than most. There are some vendors who you can just sit back and let them do their thing (and also some who just don't accept clients who want to be "part" of the process and have input at every step), so for some people that's a good thing, and others dislike it. I think with your budget I'd go with LAD--her aesthetic is similar to things you love, and she's incredibly talented.

Thanks. I decided to send LAD an inquiry email earlier today. I am hopeful she might be someone who can help me (within my budget).
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
rubybeth|1466634275|4046881 said:
iwantsparkle|1466630594|4046854 said:
rubybeth|1466617523|4046705 said:
I am not sure who I will go with, but likely it will be a balance between who can execute the setting the best (based on examples I've seen online), and price point.

Edited to add: I think you just added a period before the quote block. If you remove it, it should quote it correctly. :)
Thanks. This is helpful.

To the bold - do you mean that you will ask them to make up their design and then you will say yay/nay? Is this like plans to a house or something where you pay for the design whether or not you decide to move forward. Or, just if you decide to get the ring from them?

I do love LAD. I should look into working with her. And then maybe go from there.

I'll do a few hundred more internet searches while I mull this over. Ha.
No, that's not what I mean/how it works. I mean that I will get what I want (if it takes multiple tweaks from David Klass or whatever), but base my decision on pricing and other details. And different vendors do different pricing (like, money down for a deposit, and then payments, or whatever). I will likely choose the vendor that fits my budget at the time I want the ring--could probably afford David Klass sooner, but I really appreciate all of the details of the LAD/CvB rings I've seen. I probably can't justify the price of the original by Maytal Hannah (I've told my DH my budget for re-set is around $2k), and I don't want platinum since all my other rings are gold.

Generally, you give the designer/vendor a really good idea of what you want (show them photos, tell them what you envision, metal type, ring size, etc.), they give you a quote, then you make a deposit and send your stone and they get to work--some can share CAD images (computer aided design) so you can see a mock-up of what the ring will look like. Sometimes vendors will also do drawings to give you an idea of the completed design. And then you say yes, or no, or change this or that, and see more CAD/drawings. And then they complete the ring and send photos.

If you decide to go the custom route, ask about the steps involved and what to expect.
Thanks for clarifying. (I'm clueless!)
This is helpful. I appreciate you typing it all out.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
Gypsy|1466657888|4046999 said:
For you, I do not recommend Steven for you. Why? He doesn't do CAD. And I think CAD is a MUST HAVE for you.

Steven requires a level of confidence and trust and frankly, an ability to let go that (and I mean this in the best possible way), I'm not sensing you will have given how new this is all for you.

Working with Steven was an act of faith. I largely told him what I wanted in terms of melee and general look and told him I trusted him for all the other details. But it was something like my 5th custom project at that point so I was rather sanguine about the whole thing.

You have already said you really like CVB's aesthetic. Now, you should read the reviews on any vendor you are planning on working with, that's just basic research. And if you decide that CVB will work for you after you read the reviews, then I think she would be a great fit for you.

Alternately I would recommend Whiteflash or David Klass. But I think CVB is a good fit.

If Maytal Hannah does CAD, she might be as well. I would normally recommend Brilliantly Engaged, but due to recent events, I am unable to recommend them.
You are right! (Really)

I am going to keep taking it a step at a time and first see how LAD responds to my message.
Then, I will refer back to this post and maybe check with WF or MH. Admittedly, I skimmed the BE saga, but I am too green and am now scared off from going there right now. It sounds like there are lots of other places that are great.

Thanks for the recs and guidance.
 

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
306
rubybeth|1466685621|4047061 said:
Gypsy|1466657888|4046999 said:
If Maytal Hannah does CAD, she might be as well. I would normally recommend Brilliantly Engaged, but due to recent events, I am unable to recommend them.
I will also add that I reached out to BE about a quote for the same style ring (like DorotheaBrooke's), and their reply was basically, "What did you have in mind?" and I was kind of at a loss so didn't reply. I wanted a more firm number so I could compare. It seemed more like a negotiation, and I wasn't in a position to start the process anytime soon, so I left it.

Edited to add this as a potential inspiration ring: http://www.noamcarver.com/details.asp?SKU=B072-01WM-100A
Makes sense to me.

I love your inspiration ring - I checked out the website and saw a ring that has potential for me:

http://www.noamcarver.com/details.asp?SKU=B074-01WM-100A

(I would want a bezel version and possibly a plain shank.)

It turns out that there is a retailer near me that carries Noam's ring. (Not sure if they have this one.)
I am going to take the BF there after work today.

I want to make sure that if I end up with a halo, that it does not seem too disc shaped. Like, too flat.

If I can find a ring that has most of what I want, shape-wise, then maybe it will be easier to have a ring made if I go the custom route.

I think part of me is surprised this process is moving so slowly for me!

(Aside: I am not planning to have a traditional wedding. Earlier this year I was thinking it would be nice if we married/honeymooned in the Fall. All of the sudden it is almost July. BF prefers to keep the actual proposal a surprise, so we haven't talked about setting a date/planning our trip yet. It feels cart before the horse.

Blah blah blah - I am not going to rush the whole thing. It has to be right. But I am kind of mildly annoying myself. :) )
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet
    Van Cleef & Arpels Perlee Clovers Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top