shape
carat
color
clarity

IT''S READY!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, Kaleigh, I hear ya... I just want to wear it and not worry about it already. Should I get it appraised first and then send it out or get it appraised when it''s all fixed?

moreneweringpics 11.jpg

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, no my wedding band is not from precision set. At first glance, you wouldn''t really notice they don''t perfectly match.

Mrs Salvo, are you thinking of getting a 2 carat diamond soon? I love that OEC diamond you have in that beautiful antique setting.

Kayla, I''d gladly swap you for your gorgeous "G" diamond anytime. Your ritani set is fabulous!
30.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
wow!! you take wonderful pics!!!! looks scrumptious!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow that picture in profile you posted with the prong tips not touching looks REALLY odd Leila...that does not look 'normal' at all to me!! Mine does not look like that in profile.

I would definitely have that fixed...as for sending it back or not well I don't know what to say as it seems like such a hassle to have to send the ring away again...if it's just a matter of the prongs pressing down on the stone...seriously how would they know that you had someone else 'touch' the ring (that seems so silly by the way)....If you had the ring CLEANED would that void the warranty?
20.gif
Oh no, someone touched it.

I say have a local jeweler look at it and if they need to, press the prongs down. As for Precision Set...I would just pretend that you never had someone else FIX their work.
9.gif

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Leila,

The ring is gorgeous! I think that size is perfect for you! It looks so huge on your small fingers.

The profile shot does look a little odd to me as well. The prongs don''t seem to be "holding" the diamond. Are you planning to send it back or have someone local look at it?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you kindly for the shot Leila. Great shot that accentuates the detail from the profile and confirms what I thought. That is not abnormal at all. Different manufacturers set diamonds in slightly different ways and examining that picture shows me your perfectly fine regarding the security and setting of the stone. Your happiness however is our #1 priority so if you''d prefer the tops pressed down more, eliminating that faint gap, have your fiance contact our staff and we''ll take care of you asap.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 3:24:31 PM
Author: Rhino
Thank you kindly for the shot Leila. Great shot that accentuates the detail from the profile and confirms what I thought. That is not abnormal at all. Different manufacturers set diamonds in slightly different ways and examining that picture shows me your perfectly fine regarding the security and setting of the stone. Your happiness however is our #1 priority so if you''d prefer the tops pressed down more, eliminating that faint gap, have your fiance contact our staff and we''ll take care of you asap.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan, how is that possible? That shot looks totally odd and I have never seen a diamond set like that in any of the rings I have seen in person nor here on PS in any of the tons of shots we see of people''s rings. It seems insecure and even maybe that a good hard knock on the girdle could cause the stone to move. Wouldn''t the prongs not pressing down mean that there isn''t enough pressure on the stone to hold it securely into the V of the prong mounts?

Also, if Leila''s ring was not set like this before, WHY would it be set like this now?

Not to be a total skeptic, but seriously it sounds REALLY odd that a setting like that would be ''normal''. Why have we never seen that on PS before as well?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My apologies Mara. I was scanning Leila''s posts and missed yours. I don''t want to appear at odds so let me expound.

Date: 11/18/2005 5:06:48 PM
Author: Mara

Date: 11/18/2005 3:24:31 PM
Author: Rhino

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Jonathan, how is that possible? That shot looks totally odd and I have never seen a diamond set like that in any of the rings I have seen in person nor here on PS in any of the tons of shots we see of people''s rings.
I realize this. To be honest I''ve never taken the time to view many of the pix posted or have taken note that they took detailed profile shots like Leila has. As some have expressed here when they first saw the pictures it looks perfectly fine. And really it is. I realize when you''re used to looking at a certain style of setting anything else seems, well ... as you put it odd. For a long time (like during the 80''s) when yellow gold was "in" many people were accustomed to that look and when platinum came back many of the people who were so used to yellow gold felt the same way. We do biz with a number of setting manufacturers who request us to send the stone to them for setting so warranties are kept in tact and each of these companies have diamond setters who all have thier own individual taste when it comes to setting diamonds. Some bead the prongs. Some bring them to points. Some make the prongs slightly higher, some slightly lower. Over the course of 25 years I''ve seen quite a variety of setting styles. All beautiful.

It seems insecure and even maybe that a good hard knock on the girdle could cause the stone to move. Wouldn''t the prongs not pressing down mean that there isn''t enough pressure on the stone to hold it securely into the V of the prong mounts?
Good question. Answer: Not at all. As long as the stone does not move in the setting and as long as the space is not raised to the point where it can catch on materials she''s just fine. Now this is not to say that there aren''t mistakes in setting jobs. Christen and Marie catch companies from time to time, and even our own setters who work for us personally. They inspect each ring to make sure the stone is tight and secure and that it is aesthetcially GORGEOUS. :) At times we''ve had to ask clients to wait when we catch this but the end result is always worth the wait to make sure it is done correctly.

Also, if Leila''s ring was not set like this before, WHY would it be set like this now?
It is quite possible (and most likely probable) that the same exact diamond setter who set her original stone (some time ago) is not the same identical diamond setter who set this one. To my knowledge Precision Set has many setters working for them. In the time that we have been dealing with this company we''ve never had a complaint regarding their craftsmanship and never has a person reported a diamond falling out of a ring that they set. At least with us anyhow.

Not to be a total skeptic, but seriously it sounds REALLY odd that a setting like that would be ''normal''. Why have we never seen that on PS before as well?
Healthy skepticism is a good thing Mara and you raise good questions. I appreciate the dialogue. While I do enjoy looking at pictures I have to tell ya ... I have so much work to do I really don''t have the time to come here and enjoy all the beautiful pictures that people post. I have never taken note of the various setting styles, with regards to the prongs that people post so I really don''t know the answer to your question. Perhaps the way yours was set is a little more popular? Both ways are fine really and no cause for alarm whatsoever.

Bottom line ...

a. Is the diamond secure?
b. Are the prongs raised so much that they are snagging material consistently? (Easy way to find out, just rub it on a shirt or pants, if it catches then it should be adjusted).
c. Is it aesthetically beautiful?

If all these questions can be answered to satisfaction you''re ok.

As a repeat client, whatever Leila wants Leila gets.

Leila ... I would suggest wearing it for a week or 2 and see if you''re ok with it after that. If not and it really bothers you, you know how to reach us. If you prefer to do it now we are here for you.

Mara, thanks for the questions. You are a pleasure to talk with as always.
1.gif

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Jonathan, to answers those three questions:

A) Diamond does not move in setting.
B) Yes, it is snagging on things but I am not wearing it to avoid any potential problems.
C) Yes the diamond is beautiful. Hehe. The prongs-- I don''t think so.
11.gif

I know GOG will always try to correct any problem there is. That has always been the case. If it seems like I am publicly complaining about you guys, that was not my intention. I was just sharing my observations and getting opinion from my pricescope friends. I''m excited about my ring--I HAVE to share everything about it!
28.gif
There is no doubt I will have to get this fixed. I prefer to do it locally, despite the fact this will void my precision set warranty. That''s no biggie to me. I''m taking it to get appraised and to the jeweler on Monday. If my jeweler looks at it and says no, it''s a big deal to fix (which I am very sure will not be the case), and IF that''s the case, you can be sure I will be contacting you. Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let us know how it goes Leila!! I think you should definitely have it checked out and fixed based on what your jeweler notes (and especially since the prongs catch, that would drive me insano!).

Thanks for the explanation Jonathan...but I still feel as though prongs set that funkily can't be great for long-term. I have seen many many SMTR pictures on here and I don't think even one of them was set like that. Nor have any of the rings I have ever seen in stores or in real life been set that way. If there is a Precision Set setter who is setting things like that, I would think it would be in the minority rather than the majority....it just doesn't seem safe OR like it'd be easy to wear and I'm just surprised that it would be considered normal.

Lastly...I can appreciate that Christen and Marie are very conscientious with detail, but since this type of setting seems to be in the minority, wouldn't they notice that this was possibly set a different way? One that the client may not be familiar with? That she may be more comfortable with it set in a more 'traditional' manner? Just a thought...I may be beating my horse here (and it could be dying) but I STILL can't get over the thought that a setting where the prongs are sticking out is a normal way to go.
2.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Leila--didn't you mention that only 2 of the prongs were coming off the diamond and that the other 2 were touching the stone? If that's the case, it doesn't seem to me that it was intentional. Why wouldn't all 4 prongs either be on or off the stone? I'm sure it's an easy fix -- makes good sense to go local!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, 3 prongs are not completely pressed down. Two of the 3 prongs have very minor gaps that I can only make out with a loupe. The third prong is very noticably half sitting on the diamond. I haven''t had very good experiences with the local jewelers here but I am happy to have found someone reputable. I am looking to forward to the appraisal and getting this ring fixed!
36.gif
And thank you guys for following this thread and giving me input. I really appreciate it!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Glad you found someone local to fix it for you. I saw the pic you posted and saw the problem spot on. Get it fixed and this will be all behind you. It''s a gorgeous ring and your stone is amazing!!!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi Leila, still loving your ring, despite the prong problems.

I hope you don't mind, but when you first got that setting, I had downloaded it into my computer (I told you I love your ring) and I am posting it to show the difference between the way your new diamond is set and the way the old diamond was set.
I think you can see in this picture of the old diamond that the prongs are lower than the table and touching the top of the diamond.
2.gif

pp4 (3).jpg

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
That definitely looks much better!! I''m sure it''ll be easy to fix! It''s so gorgeous! Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 10:51:35 PM
Author: butterfly 17
Hi Leila, still loving your ring, despite the prong problems.

I hope you don''t mind, but when you first got that setting, I had downloaded it into my computer (I told you I love your ring) and I am posting it to show the difference between the way your new diamond is set and the way the old diamond was set.
I think you can see in this picture of the old diamond that the prongs are lower than the table and touching the top of the diamond.
2.gif
I realize I was referring to you as Kayla in prior posts but isn''t that your daughter''s name? Sorry! You gave me a great idea. I am going to bring that picture to the jewelers and see if he can recreate those prongs for me. I loved it that way.

Oh, and next time please don''t post any of my pictures without my permission first. Just kidding! I couldn''t resist! Ok, ok, I know I am being bad.
15.gif
I am flattered you downloaded it!
28.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
31.gif
I couldn't resist either, too funny. Love the image that butterfly posted, hopefully your jeweler can replicate these prongs for you. They look great in the pic, good luck!!!
21.gif

slammie

Shiny_Rock
Leila, hope all goes well with the prongs..your ring is absolutely FAB. Enjoy!! =)

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2005 11:24:43 PM
Author: Leila

Oh, and next time please don''t post any of my pictures without my permission first. Just kidding! I couldn''t resist! Ok, ok, I know I am being bad.
15.gif
I am flattered you downloaded it!
28.gif

Haha, you are too funny! When you said that you reminded me of someone, but I can''t remember who at the moment......
27.gif
2.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL. :) Too funny.

Hi Leila,

I didn't take your post as a complaint at all and thank you for bringing it to our attention. It is wise to get 2nd opinions and we always encourage it. If too many concerns were raised about that we'd insist all diamonds were set in one fashion and one fashion only. We like to allow setters have a little freedom to incorporate their own styles into their work but yea... if it's snagging then I would insist it be changed as well. I also understand wanting to get it done faster and locally and 99% there will not be any problem as its an easy job really. Just be aware that if they botch it up we can't be held accountable for their workmanship and it is then out of Precision Sets hands as well. If we took care of it for you all warranties remain in tact and I would also be willing to cover your shipping as well so there would be no out of pocket expense to you at all but I'll leave that up to you.

Otherwise ... ENJOY your new blingage!
1.gif
I like that last shot you posted too!

Warmest regards,
Jonathan

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I took my ring to the jeweler yesterday and he said it is not going to be a simple job of just pressing down the prongs. He would need to remove the diamond and fix the seats, those "V" cutout thingy that the diamond sits in, as well because the diamond is set a little tilted too. He would do it but it didn''t make sense for me to pay that much for it (he quoted me $200) when GOG will take care of it for me without any added cost to me. So off the ring will have to go.
39.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Leila, I'm sorry. But best to send it back and have it fixed for free. I wouldn't pay $200 either that's crazy. I hope you get it back soon and hopefully it will be perfect. It's such a gorgeous ring!!
1.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Kaleigh.

Yeah, I couldn''t believe it when he said $200. But he said it''s not just resetting the diamond, they have to fix the mistakes too so it''s more complicated.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
So sorry to hear that, Leila. I can imagine it must be really hard to send it back having just gotten it. But it does make sense to have GOG fix the mistake and then it will be good as new!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/23/2005 10:42:59 AM
Author: Demelza
So sorry to hear that, Leila. I can imagine it must be really hard to send it back having just gotten it. But it does make sense to have GOG fix the mistake and then it will be good as new!
I agree...what a drag but at least you know it will come back the way you want it! Just make sure GOG is clear on what you want changed...can't wait to see it when it's back!!

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
We got some pictures of my ring today from GOG. The ring is still at Precision Set, pending our approval for it to be sent back to GOG. They supposedly fixed it. What do you guys think of the prongs in this shot? I know we are not we seeing things. Do you think we''re being too picky? I''m getting impatient with Precision Set, that''s for sure.

precisionsetpics-1-cropped.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like that prong on the top left does not have it's tip on the stone? It's hard to see the visible one on the right but that may be a bit off the stone too. Is that what you mean? It's kind of interesting if that is the case...aren't they supposed to be definitely on the stone? I'm surprised that GOG would not catch that as well if that's what you mean.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I can see all sorts of lint getting trapped under that left prong.
And it may just be the picture, but it looks like the diamond may still be a bit tilted... the left side looks lower.
8.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Well, keep in mind that that pic is highly magnified, but it doesn''t look like that left prong is completely touching the stone. Whether that is something you could see without a loupe or whether that is a problem, I don''t know. But I''d sure want to know before they sent the ring back to me. What does GOG say? So sorry this is turning out to be such a hassle. It shouldn''t be like that.

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
I''m glad you guys can see it too and it''s not just us. DH sent GOG an email and picture with arrows pointing out the gaps so they can forward it to Precision Set. Hopefully, it''ll get done right. We have parties coming up and I won''t have my ring to wear. I''m even wearing my cz ring when I got out doing errands and shopping, because it just feels weird without the ering and I had to run into someone I haven''t seen in a looong time. She said she heard about how fab my ring was and grabbed my hand and she looked a little disturbed when she saw my cz ring. It''s not larger than my ering but yep, it looks pretty fake though. HAHA! I didn''t know what to say. And I didn''t feel like explaining. I thought it was rude she didn''t hide her disappointment very well. Oh, well...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results