shape
carat
color
clarity

It's finally my turn! Engagement ring help.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Exbro, I hope our enthusiasm hasn't scared you away. We get pretty excited about diamonds... we live for this stuff! ;-)

LOL, if too much stress post your credit card details and address -- you'll get hooked up. :mrgreen2: :lol-2:

The fine print:
Just kidding -- please don't do that.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On a serious note, if you see ANY of these stones you like and are seriously considering -- call the vendor and ask them to put on temporary hold while you make a final decision. Others may be reading and try to poach one of your finds.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7485CAD7-C4A1-48ED-A118-75350D5E2D3D.jpeg
@msop04 and @sledge - Why doesn’t this imperfection keep it from being an ACA?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7485CAD7-C4A1-48ED-A118-75350D5E2D3D.jpeg
@msop04 and @sledge - Why doesn’t this imperfection keep it from being an ACA?

You will see this with various inclusions such as crystals, twinning whisps, etc. Its NOT an imperfection in the symmetry or light performance but rather the inclusions rearing their ugly head. Based on this I assume the crystal is black and maybe why it says inquire for eye cleanliness.

20180730_140224.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, if too much stress post your credit card details and address -- you'll get hooked up. :mrgreen2: :lol-2:

The fine print:
Just kidding -- please don't do that.

No one would shop for long with mine! ;-) :lol-2:

Exbro

Rough_Rock
IDJ stones recommended here might be cut within the angle ranges recommended on PS. But they won't be "a true 138 car." Still nice and sparkly and fine for many. IDJ can help find pricescope quality stones for people on a budget.

Crafted by Infinity and ACA and Brian Gavin signature stones and some others are cut with extra precision, each angle will be cut to work with and enhance each other angle. These stones will be "numbers matching" 138 cars.

As for color, I have an H stone in which I cannot see any tint from the top or sides. Also it's an si2 and completely eye clean to me. I also have a (possibly) K color stone. While I can see slight warmth in it, it's not like "woah look at that yellow rock." It's more like "Wimbleton white" than "ermine white". It doesn't bother me in the least (because it let me get a bigger stone for my budget.

Can your girl distinguish (not side by side) between ivy gold or ash gold or willow gold? Or are they all just "gold"? Haha my husband sells Chevelle parts and tells me how "sixty eights rule the streets" (though we have a 71) so sorry for all the the car metaphors :whistle:

Going with either IDJ or one of the super ideal vendors (especially with PS input) will pretty much guarantee that you'll get a better cut, more sparkly, and cleaner stone than what your likely to find in any jewelry store near you.

You are in good hands here regarding your diamond selection.
Great information and one of the best posts ever! I love the car metaphors. I laughed out loud when you said "ash gold".

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Exbro - Here’s a color comparison of the H ACA Sledge linked above and a G ACA of the same size and clarity. Maybe it will help you determine if you’re color sensitive.

6B8745F7-502E-437E-A236-E4B79D6C5159.jpeg

@sledge and @msop04 - I’m curious, can you see the slight yellow tint at the edges of the H like I can?

Exbro

Rough_Rock
On a serious note, if you see ANY of these stones you like and are seriously considering -- call the vendor and ask them to put on temporary hold while you make a final decision. Others may be reading and try to poach one of your finds.
How long do vendors like WF put stones on hold?

Exbro

Rough_Rock
@Exbro - Here’s a color comparison of the H ACA Sledge linked above and a G ACA of the same size and clarity. Maybe it will help you determine if you’re color sensitive.

@sledge and @msop04 - I’m curious, can you see the slight yellow tint at the edges of the H like I can?

I do see it now that you point it out. I didn't think I would be able to but there it is.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, I'm not a fan of WF's backlit vids and photos. Although beautiful, they simply don't capture what the stone really looks like, IMO, so any comments made by me based on those pics may not be accurate. :)

I think the best way to compare G and H is to look at several JA stones (G & H with NO fluoro) from the side view.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see it now that you point it out. I didn't think I would be able to but there it is.
Even though you can see it, don’t let that discourage you or interpret it as “bad”. As has been said before, it’s just a different shade of white. Many people like the warmth of a slight tint and some even prefer it over the icy whiteness of the top three colors. It all comes down to what YOU like.

You really should go to a store that preferably has top-tier cut diamonds, but a minimum of GIA XXX, and look at the colors in person. Be sure to take them out of the store too to view in sunshine (or at least non-jewelry store lighting!), shade, etc.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you explain how I would go about getting this? How much is this? I'm a complete newbie. :???:

You'd just ask whichever diamond vendor you end up using 1) if they can get it, and 2) the price. This one looks nicer than the WF presentation soli (the $245 one).

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm not a fan of WF's backlit vids and photos. Although beautiful, they simply don't capture what the stone really looks like, IMO, so any comments made by me based on those pics may not be accurate. :)

I think the best way to compare G and H is to look at several JA stones (G & H with NO fluoro) from the side view.

Here you go! =)2 Two “True Hearts” 1.3ish diamonds with VS2 clarity from JA

A65C05B3-E93E-4584-895E-16DFE541E529.jpeg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here you go! =)2 Two “True Hearts” 1.3ish diamonds with VS2 clarity from JA

A65C05B3-E93E-4584-895E-16DFE541E529.jpeg

I can't really tell a difference in those pics, much less if they weren't side by side. They both look white to me eyes. From face up, I can guarantee they look the same.

ETA: the H stone's rotation point (is that even a thing??) isn't the same as the G's, so it's making it look darker... but it's just the light play on the G is better in that particular still shot. :)
Point being, they aren't in the exact same lighting environment, so the G looks brighter.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really tell a difference in those pics, much less if they weren't side by side. They both look white to me eyes. From face up, I can guarantee they look the same.

ETA: the H stone's rotation point (is that even a thing??) isn't the same as the G's, so it's making it look darker... but it's just the light play on the G is better in that particular still shot. :)
Point being, they aren't in the exact same lighting environment, so the G looks brighter.
I did the best I could. JA doesn’t let you pause the videos, unlike WF, so I probably deleted about 40 other attempts to get these six! And they’re actually very very close... maybe a half-second apart in video-time.

To me, I can see the difference in the colors. I agree face-up I most likely couldn’t. But body color is usually apparent to me. Now, if you showed me a stone and asked me to guess it’s color I probably couldn’t, but I could put them in descending order for certain. I forget who it was that posted the link to a color test that had you sort three different rows of around 30 colors each; one was blue to green, I think one was pink to purple, and then there was one more (maybe orange to yellow?). Anyway, I got 100%. I’m that way in real life too. I tend to notice the slightest colors/shapes/alignments being off. It’s not always a good thing :confused2:

Anyway, OP, I hope these examples give you an idea of if YOU are color sensitive or if a slight tint would bother you/your lady. Keep us posted on your thoughts so the searches can continue with the parameters you want.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long do vendors like WF put stones on hold?

Typically 2-3 days. Although when I was searching I called back and asked for an extension and they were happy to oblige.

So we are in agreement that these two stones fit my parameters and are on the short list with the exception that the 1.69 may not be eye clean?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983288.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565128.htm

You've got quite a few great choices, but if size is your primary driver then yes, these stones seem to offer you the most bang for the buck.

Can you explain how I would go about getting this? How much is this? I'm a complete newbie. :???:

If you like this design, you can ask WF to give you a quote to create a custom solitaire. This is fairly simplistic and I am sure they will do it. The ring I posted earlier of my girl's ring was a custom design that David Klass (DK) did for me.

It is more convenient to have the setting and stone come from the same place, but it's not necessary. I bought my stone from BGD and had DK do the setting. It was fairly painless. After the setting design was complete, I had BGD ship the stone directly to DK and then DK finished the setting and shipped the completed ring to me.

While WF or DK would have to give you a price quote, I think you'd be $500 or less for that setting.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
I did the best I could. ........

Anyway, OP, I hope these examples give you an idea of if YOU are color sensitive or if a slight tint would bother you/your lady. Keep us posted on your thoughts so the searches can continue with the parameters you want.

I think you did a great job and appreciate the effort you took. I don't think I'm terribly sensitive to the color difference between those two. That said, it appears for my squeeze budget, I should be able to get into a 1.25+ carat in the G which would be great if I could

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did a great job and appreciate the effort you took. I don't think I'm terribly sensitive to the color difference between those two. That said, it appears for my squeeze budget, I should be able to get into a 1.25+ carat in the G which would be great if I could

Thanks, and that can be done for sure! When you’ve got your squeeze budget funds together let us know and we’ll give you the best options out there for the C’s you give us. I even saw a 1.4+ F/SI1 (eye clean) for your squeeze budget.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006543.htm

When the time comes you’ll need to know if you prioritize color or size (cut is first, obviously). That way, once we find options, we’d know if you’d prefer a larger lower color or smaller higher color. For 13k, your size range will probably be between 1.4 and 1.8 depending on color/clarity preferences. Of course, you could always say “Find me the best F, G, H, and I diamond for $13,000” and determine from there. Or “no more than $11,000... what would you choose?”.

So many choices.... :mrgreen2:

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I think the videos are a bit biased. Lights at different angles, pause moments, etc makes it nearly impossible to get an identical comparison shot. We've even seen some comparison shots were stones were directly under an overhead light vs being to the side of a overhead light and it can throw off the color (in the case I am talking about it made an I or J look whiter than a G best I recall). So lighting and angles are extremely important when comparing stones.

That said, let's play a little game.

Game 1:
Below are 4 stones on their side profiles. Colors can range from D-K. They have been intentionally placed out of order. Identify what you think the color of each stone is starting left to right.

Untitled3.png

Game 2:
Below are 3 pictures of front facing stones. Each picture contains 3 stones that are 1 color grade apart. Colors range E-K. Stones have been placed in random order. Pick and choose the correct colors for each group starting left and going right.

Group 1:
Inkedijk_LI.jpg

Group 2:
Inkedefg_LI.jpg

Group 3:
Inkedghi_LI.jpg

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looks like you're getting a lot of good advice.

A couple of things to add:
1. A super ideal does not equal AGS 000. AGS 000 is generally a term used for an ideal cut/polish/symmetry grade from AGS, so it's the AGS equivalent of GIA XXX, and is generally known to be stricter. A superideal is a non-graded marketing term that may indicate a higher level of cut quality above even a AGS 000 stone.
2. While super ideals like WF's ACA line or CBI or BGD diamonds are incredible diamonds, you can get something significantly cheaper/bigger if you're willing to forgo the superideal route.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
Thanks, and that can be done for sure! When you’ve got your squeeze budget funds together let us know and we’ll give you the best options out there for the C’s you give us. I even saw a 1.4+ F/SI1 (eye clean) for you squeeze budget.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006543.htm

When the time comes you’ll need to know if you prioritize color or size (cut is first, obviously). That way, once we find options, we’d know if you’d prefer a larger lower color or smaller higher color.

Great! and nice find! All my funds should be here by Friday so this is all happening pretty fast. I think i"m still stuck on the original range. ACA G/H VS2/SI1 1.25+

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did the best I could. JA doesn’t let you pause the videos, unlike WF, so I probably deleted about 40 other attempts to get these six! And they’re actually very very close... maybe a half-second apart in video-time.

To me, I can see the difference in the colors. I agree face-up I most likely couldn’t. But body color is usually apparent to me. Now, if you showed me a stone and asked me to guess it’s color I probably couldn’t, but I could put them in descending order for certain. I forget who it was that posted the link to a color test that had you sort three different rows of around 30 colors each; one was blue to green, I think one was pink to purple, and then there was one more (maybe orange to yellow?). Anyway, I got 100%. I’m that way in real life too. I tend to notice the slightest colors/shapes/alignments being off. It’s not always a good thing :confused2:

It's so hard to get pics of a moving video, so I applaud you for trying! :) And yes, there is a very slight difference in body color, but not that would make me choose the G and pay the premium, bc I would never be able to tell the difference if they weren't side by side.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great! and nice find! All my funds should be here by Friday so this is all happening pretty fast. I think i"m still stuck on the original range. ACA G/H VS2/SI1 1.25+
That’s a great range. Many of us call it the sweet spot because it’s still pretty much colorless and with no visible imperfections (because of course we wouldn’t let you choose something that wasn’t eye-clean!).

Are you only interested in ACA or also open to BG and CBI?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Have you decided on budget yet?

For the low side of the budget I like these:

HPD 1.21ct G SI1, $10,284 wire, 6.87 x 6.92mm (@ILikeShiny originally posted)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10321

WF ACA 1.285ct G VS2 $11,057 wire, 6.95 x 6.97mm (new one I just found)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011140.htm

BGD Blue 1.36ct H VS1, $11,360 wire, 7.04 x 7.08mm (one I posted)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.360-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104100653073

Keep in mind, all these diamonds are super ideals with great H&A symmetry, full performance images, etc.

Here is a size comparison between the smallest (HPD 1.21ct) and the largest (BGD 1.36ct). As you can see, there is very marginal difference.

Capture.PNG

Exbro

Rough_Rock
That’s a great range. Many of us call it the sweet spot because it’s still pretty much colorless and with no visible imperfections (because of course we wouldn’t let you choose something that wasn’t eye-clean!).

Are you only interested in ACA or also open to BG and CBI?

Here's the thing. Me personally, I'm a nuts and bolts kind of guy. When I get something, I usually understand exactly what it is and name isn't much to me. The problem is, my significant other has this preconceived notion that the local shop is ALL that. Which, of course, is ridiculous. She's simply unknowledgeable. Being that as it may, I still have to deal with that fact and overcome her and her families preconceived, unknowledgeable ideas about diamonds.......which is bummer and will cost me money.

All that said, I probably should get the ACA so that I can quickly quench any doubts about the quality of the diamond that was "purchased online somewhere". :rolleyes:

I'm not saying she's dumb. I'll explain to her what she ended up getting and how it's actually WAY better, but in the initial stages, it will just be easier to say it's a ACA diamond or the best of the best.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
Have you decided on budget yet?

For the low side of the budget I like these:

HPD 1.21ct G SI1, $10,284 wire, 6.87 x 6.92mm (@ILikeShiny originally posted)
https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10321

WF ACA 1.285ct G VS2 $11,057 wire, 6.95 x 6.97mm (new one I just found)
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011140.htm

BGD Blue 1.36ct H VS1, $11,360 wire, 7.04 x 7.08mm (one I posted)
https://www.briangavindiamonds.com/...1.360-h-vs1-round-diamond-ags-bl-104100653073

Keep in mind, all these diamonds are super ideals with great H&A symmetry, full performance images, etc.

Here is a size comparison between the smallest (HPD 1.21ct) and the largest (BGD 1.36ct). As you can see, there is very marginal difference.

Capture.PNG
Those are all great! Whats the trade in policy of BGD as I was leaning toward WF for that reason?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results