shape
carat
color
clarity

It's finally my turn! Engagement ring help.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier, we debated color quite a bit. In another thread concerning HPD/CBI stones I was advised of the following article.

Before dismissing an I color, please read.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/education/education-color

Practical example
As a general rule we observe that our Crafted by Infinity diamonds face-up 2 or more grades higher than their AGS color grade, and an astonishing 4+ grades higher than generic diamonds with average cut.

diamond-color-standards.jpg

> Diamonds in commercial stores appear very tinted due to soft standards. Below average cut-quality exaggerates that appearance.

> Diamonds graded H or I in color by AGS or GIA regularly face-up with less tint than G color diamonds found in malls and chain-stores.

> Diamonds graded J color by AGS, paired with Crafted by Infinity cut quality, regularly face-up with less tint than G in malls and chain stores.

Exbro

Rough_Rock

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to post that I don't want an "I" color stone but then you posted that and it sure does make a person start to think....

I anticipated as much, which is why I was quick to post that link for you. I have to admit that an I has me a little concerned too. Generally speaking, every super ideal diamond rather that be HPD, BGD or WF faces up whiter and bigger than normal stones.

I am not clear if HPD is trying to state their CBI stones has this exclusivity or this applies to all super ideals in general. My guess is they will state it's limited to CBI stones because they may not have tested other stones and don't want the liability of untested statements. Just in my brain, it makes sense this applies (at least to SOME degree) to all super ideals. Whatever the case, I find it bold they make such a statement and post an article about it, and for that reason I would be willing to at least try an I. Well, plus I like @Wink, lol.

Another unique thing that HPD has is their "See It To Believe It", or SITBI, plan that allows you to ship one of their stones to your home to see first hand. There are some monetary holds put in-place should you not return the stone but it seems rather hassle and risk free. Again, just encourages me to think an I is worth the gamble.

https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonds/diamonds-home

Lastly, I would recommend reaching out to @Wink and talking with him about your expectations on color and ask for his honest assessment of the stones in question. I do believe he will give you an honest answer, rather that results in a purchase or not.

HDer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Even just a well cut non superideal will show less color. Take it from me, with my L colored, brown tinted, diamond that faces up white. Of course, I wouldn't recommend going that low unless you were sure you wanted rose gold.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With the great return and upgrade policy at HPD and whiteflash you could get something higher color immediately or over time while having the cream of the crop cut from the start.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
Update: I bought nothing..... uggg...

Father got sick, but long story short. I'm back at shopping. Funds are in hand and I'm ready.

From WhiteFlash is this the best I can get for the money?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3955174.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983288.htm

Sledge I'm thinking about those other options that aren't as well known but really are a bang for the buck. I could maybe get over 1.5 with those options?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: I bought nothing..... uggg...

Father got sick, but long story short. I'm back at shopping. Funds are in hand and I'm ready.

From WhiteFlash is this the best I can get for the money?

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3955174.htm
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3983288.htm

Sledge I'm thinking about those other options that aren't as well known but really are a bang for the buck. I could maybe get over 1.5 with those options?

Sorry to hear this @Exbro, I hope your dad pulled through okay and is recovering well. Family is what matters most. My dad was a deadbeat and haven't seen him in forever. My grandparents raised me and I lost my grandfather (considered him a "dad") a few years back. Life has been nothing short of tough without him, and there isn't anything I wouldn't give to have 15 minutes to talk things through with him.

These two ACA's you found are rather gorgeous. I'd be happy to own either one, and I think WF is a great vendor with generous upgrade policies and will treat you right.

I do have a minor concern with the G SI1. If you look at the cert, you will notice that it lists cloud as the first inclusion. This means clouds is the grade setting inclusion. Also, "additional clouds not shown" appear in the notes section on the cert. While it does not mean that every stone will have issues, this can be a problem. You need to contact WF and ask their gemologist to pull the stone and ensure that the clouds don't create any transparency or light performance issues.

While they are pulling the G, go ahead and have them pull the H too. Then have them do a side by side comparison and shoot videos & pics to email you. Have them check the color against one another, the inclusions and the fire.

Both have gorgeous angles that fall into my own personal preferences. Because my girl is sensitive and (after buying) I discovered she can see tint in an H, I now put a little higher emphasis on color and would personally be tempted to go with the G if all checks out and you are okay with the money. However, if WF tells you it's a "high H" and there isn't any real difference between the G & H then I'd be tempted to save the $1,300 and get the H. Plus I like the fact the H has a 34.5 crown (as opposed to 34.6 -- probably makes very little to no visible difference -- it's a mind thing) and I also like the 76 LGF (as opposed to 77 LGF). Again little difference in the LGF, but technically a smaller LGF value means a slightly fatter arrow, which I personally like and value.

On a side note, before I start digging for new stones, I was checking and these two stones that I found previously are still available.

1.58ct G SI1, $11,361 wire, 7.47 x 7.46mm
https://www.ritani.com/diamonds/round-diamond-1-58-Carat-G-color-GIA-certified/D-RJJNYX

Confirm eye clean. Angles and percentages looks good. Like the above stone, it lands you in the middle of ideal territory so even with weird GIA rounding & averaging you should still be okay.

158Capture.PNG

1.52ct, E, SI1, $9,152 wire, 7.35 x 7.25mm (no cert, unable to analyze angles)

https://idjewelry.com/round-rdp174539.html

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
I was just about to post that I don't want an "I" color stone but then you posted that and it sure does make a person start to think....

H is the best bang for the buck! Right in the middle...

LBeezy34

Rough_Rock
I like the low side of the budget. But the "mine is larger than yours" mentality keeps pushing back. lol

but when you show me comparisons like this one, you really can't tell the difference. Great thing to consider.

Triple EX cut, tapered shank, thinner band can help smaller stones look bigger. Oh and if her finger is petite even better! :sun:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Triple EX cut, tapered shank, thinner band can help smaller stones look bigger. Oh and if her finger is petite even better! :sun:

For clarification, XXX stones aren't inherently bigger. If you look for deals it is possible to find a slightly larger XXX for similar money usually.

It just depends what you want. Super ideals have not only AGS000 certification, but are also true H&A so they have near perfect symmetry along with any proprietary cutting techniques they employ to make their stones special.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
For clarification, XXX stones aren't inherently bigger. If you look for deals it is possible to find a slightly larger XXX for similar money usually.

It just depends what you want. Super ideals have not only AGS000 certification, but are also true H&A so they have near perfect symmetry along with any proprietary cutting techniques they employ to make their stones special.

Which is why I'm i'm searching for a super ideal. It would take a pretty great stone with some confidence of experienced members here to get me to purchase otherwise. For example, those other two you mentioned. Under certification it says "None". kinda scary.

If the WF "G" stone has a concern. that only leaves me with one other choice. Maybe someone has some other links to other stone contenders?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm fairly busy today but will try to pull some other stones for you to consider.

I prefer a super ideal personally too. Premium doesn't seem large for what you get IMO, although not everyone shares my sentiments.

FYI the Ritani stone was GIA certified, as I looked at the angles, etc. The IDJ I'm not sure as it said inquire best I recall. In fairness to IDJ they have a knack of finding top performing stones, rather certified or not, when you advise them you are looking for PS quality.

But honestly neither are super ideals and if you see the value in one I'd stick with WF, HPD or BGD myself. Upgrade policies are a little more generous with the first two.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some more potential candidates:

WF ACA 1.694ct H SI1 - $13,089 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565128.htm

Top of your budget, but also large. Color looks very white to be an H. It shows to be an eye clean stone, but I would have them pull and confirm for you since the inclusions are on the table. I don't think there will be a problem, but always better to be safe than sorry.

WF ACA 1.438ct F SI1 - $12,719 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006543.htm

Wow, look at this little fireball of awesomeness! Definitely check out the video. Get the F color and awesome angles. If you don't mind getting near max budget and staying under 1.5ct then this is a pretty awesome one. Love the F color too. My concern here is the inclusions. Again, it says eye clean but I'd want a WF gemologist to confirm.

WF ES 1.437 H VS2 - $11,614 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4015033.htm

This is an Expert Selection but carries all the same awesomeness of the ACA stones. It likely missed the mark as the H&A images are off just a smidge. Looking at the video it seems like a great value as this is a little firecracker too. Love that proportions!

Exbro

Rough_Rock
Here are some more potential candidates:

WF ACA 1.694ct H SI1 - $13,089 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3565128.htm

Top of your budget, but also large. Color looks very white to be an H. It shows to be an eye clean stone, but I would have them pull and confirm for you since the inclusions are on the table. I don't think there will be a problem, but always better to be safe than sorry.

WF ACA 1.438ct F SI1 - $12,719 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4006543.htm

Wow, look at this little fireball of awesomeness! Definitely check out the video. Get the F color and awesome angles. If you don't mind getting near max budget and staying under 1.5ct then this is a pretty awesome one. Love the F color too. My concern here is the inclusions. Again, it says eye clean but I'd want a WF gemologist to confirm.

WF ES 1.437 H VS2 - $11,614 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4015033.htm

This is an Expert Selection but carries all the same awesomeness of the ACA stones. It likely missed the mark as the H&A images are off just a smidge. Looking at the video it seems like a great value as this is a little firecracker too. Love that proportions!

Thanks for the reply!
I had the 1.694 saved in my wish list already. I was worried because it says "inquire" regarding eye clean. I'd love to afford a a stone over 1.5 let alone a 1.7 stone. wow.

also, could you explain what an "Expert Selection" is a little better? and why it's about the same price as a ACA?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reply!
I had the 1.694 saved in my wish list already. I was worried because it says "inquire" regarding eye clean. I'd love to afford a a stone over 1.5 let alone a 1.7 stone. wow.

also, could you explain what an "Expert Selection" is a little better? and why it's about the same price as a ACA?

I think I misread the 1.694 earlier. I had a few tabs open and I see now it does say inquire about being eye clean. It's worth a call but I wouldn't buy if it's an issue. This is where it's awesome to have a WF gemologist review the stone on your behalf.

ACA is the top of the line diamond WF offers and has very stringent criteria. When that criteria is a "near miss" they will get labeled as either a premium or expert select. Looking at the stone I can see the hearts image has flaws so symmetry will not be as exacting as an ACA; however, looking at the ASET and video it does not appear to have hurt the light performance of the stone by any considerable amount.

During my own shopping journey I considered one and had their gemologist pull and compare against other ACA's. Several got involved and couldn't figure out why as several preferred the ES over the ACA's it was being compared against.

They can be good values that come with all the perks of the ACA, but ultimately you have to be happy.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
I think I misread the 1.694 earlier. I had a few tabs open and I see now it does say inquire about being eye clean. It's worth a call but I wouldn't buy if it's an issue. This is where it's awesome to have a WF gemologist review the stone on your behalf.

ACA is the top of the line diamond WF offers and has very stringent criteria. When that criteria is a "near miss" they will get labeled as either a premium or expert select. Looking at the stone I can see the hearts image has flaws so symmetry will not be as exacting as an ACA; however, looking at the ASET and video it does not appear to have hurt the light performance of the stone by any considerable amount.

During my own shopping journey I considered one and had their gemologist pull and compare against other ACA's. Several got involved and couldn't figure out why as several preferred the ES over the ACA's it was being compared against.

They can be good values that come with all the perks of the ACA, but ultimately you have to be happy.

Ok. So we're back to stones just under 1.5 then because we can exclude the 1.69?

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FWIW I would have WF pull the 1.69 and tell you how it looks to their eyes (and how close you need to be to see the inclusions with the naked eye). When I watch the video I can see them, but IMHO it doesn't detract from the sparkle and I have to be looking specifically for them.

Exbro

Rough_Rock
You could still ask WF to pull the stone and tell you at what angle/distance the inclusions are visible. However, here is another beautiful option that gets you over the 1.5ct mark ($10 more than the non-eye clean stone) and this one is marked as eye clean: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4011141.htm
I think I will have them pull the 1.69 just to see. The 1.5 is another stone I have on my wish list. It's an a great looking stone. What's everyone think about it?

Exbro

Rough_Rock
FWIW I would have WF pull the 1.69 and tell you how it looks to their eyes (and how close you need to be to see the inclusions with the naked eye). When I watch the video I can see them, but IMHO it doesn't detract from the sparkle and I have to be looking specifically for them.
I had them pull it and it was pretty visible. ugg.. that stone is out. The search continues

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results