shape
carat
color
clarity

It''s done! A 1.60 J SI2 has found a new home...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Mara!
36.gif
What an incredibly clean SI2!!! And it looks phenominal in your gorgeous setting. Since it was graded on your b''day, it sounds like it was just meant to be.
9.gif

Can''t wait to see the hand pics!!
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha Jennifer and Patty...you gals know me far too well..along with many other PS''ers who had a niggling suspicion in the back of their minds!!

Jade, I am totally hoping that I get this stone and see not a whit of color in it...because then maybe I can continue to get away with J color for the next few upgrades, the price difference is sooo huge!

Alj and I were commenting tonite how diamonds have risen SO much in cost the last few years...a very similar diamond to hers is now priced at something like $1500 more than hers cost a mere 2 years ago! I can''t even imagine what it will be like in the next year or two if the prices continue to climb. J SI may be a real blessing if I can continue along that route and not see a difference. I am really looking fwd to seeing the cut and what sort of difference it truly makes. But honestly from those pictures, that sucker looks like a blinding white lightcatcher to me!

Baltneu, it''s a custom setting we had done locally here in Aptos. I had WhiteFlash match the setting to create my w-ring...but I was telling Brian I can see very tiny differences in the worksmanship, the WF ring is slightly more ''dainty'', while the e-ring is definitely a more heavy piece. Who knows, in the future I may have WF redo the e-ring setting so it''s a true match for the w-ring. But that comes later!!

Thanks everyone, when I get this thing tomorrow I am sure I will have the camera glued to my hand the whole day...oh look I am in the kitchen now under the recessed lights. MUST TAKE MORE PICTURES!!!!
31.gif
Be prepared.
9.gif

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Mara:
35.gif

Well the ring looks gorgeous and the stone should face up great. I would be looking for a slight hint of color though. In regards to the price increase, I can''t agree with you more. As it stands a J stone is a very good range to help stretch your dollar in hitting the 2 carat. mark, but as Leo and Garry recently point out there was a price rise in stones ranging 2 carat plus right now
4.gif

No matter what the circumstance though I know in a couple years you will probably be posting your pictures of a 2 or 2.5 carat rock..
2.gif

Poor Greg..
38.gif
Then again he knew what he was getting into years ago...
6.gif
21.gif
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think Mara has found herself quite a deal. The stone looks amazing and should face up very white. Don''t feel sorry for Greg, I''m sure he has his eye on some car we don''t even know about yet. Right Mara??
31.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes there will be no feeling sorry for Greg, who has his own expensive vices!!! Though I did have to harass him twice today at work to get his credit card number for the 'payment'...hee hee. When I showed him the pictures tonite when he got home he said, 'wow it looks big.'
31.gif
Which is pretty much how eloquent I was as well when I first saw the pictures. I instantly typed to alj in our MSN box 'hehehe, it's SO big!'.
20.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 10:25:22 PM
Author: Colored Gemstone Nut
No matter what the circumstance though I know in a couple years you will probably be posting your pictures of a 2 or 2.5 carat rock..
2.gif
*hehehe*

I give it till end of the year for the next upgrade
31.gif

youngster

Shiny_Rock
Mara, at what point will you have to re-do the head of your ER? In its present state, will it accomodate another upgrade or is this the last one (from that standpoint)? Also, will the entire ring have to re-built down the road in order to accomodate further, larger upgrades? Sorry if these are basic questions but I''m curious!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 11
6.gif
6.gif
8 PM
Author: youngster
Mara, at what point will you have to re-do the head of your ER? In its present state, will it accomodate another upgrade or is this the last one (from that standpoint)? Also, will the entire ring have to re-built down the road in order to accomodate further, larger upgrades? Sorry if these are basic questions but I'm curious!!
Youngster, I think this is IT for the head...I couldn't imagine them fitting a 2c into that head, but who knows, maybe it's doable! They thought they may have to get a new head for this stone but I am glad they didn't as it would have had the stone be even higher than it was which would be hard for me to get used to...so they stretched out the head a bit which works for me as it means the diamond sits a bit lower into the head.

The ring will most likely not have to be rebuilt (depending on larger upgrade sizes) because of how the head is attached to the ring, it's soldered on, so there was a space left for the head. I guess if I got really out of control and my head was so big it didn't fit into the head area anymore, maybe they'd have to remove a stone and/or rework the ring. Who knows what that point is really.

However at some point in the future I may have the ring reworked anyway to make it match my w-ring exactly in terms of worksmanship (very small details that only I can notice), and also on my LAST upgrade (hopefully around that 3c mark) I want to have a new head created that is alot like Slammie's with the pave basket and delicate prongs...so maybe I can have that work done all at once...to accomodate the large stone, the new head and the ring rework if there needs to be one.

But that is wayyyyyy down the road!! It's funny how there is always something you would change and/or modify once you get going. It's very fun!
9.gif

Oh and I'm sure you all will get a kick out of this, especially you Jade...today on the phone Lesley told me that maybe soon I would be wearing the 7c ACA! I WISH!
41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara,
Down the road, I just love slammies ring with the pave basket and delicate prongs. But I know you''ll have it done before we know it!!!
3.gif

BlackIce

Rough_Rock
Wow, that is a beautiful stone. Great choice!! Can''t wait to see more pictures.
36.gif

solange

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations Mara. The ring looks stunning and it looks so much bigger than your other stone. It sounds like a great choice.

I was reluctant when Lesley found my stone. It is an I color and SI2. I was hoping to get at least an H and I was afraid of the SI2. But Brian said he highly recommended it and that I would have to spend a lot more to get a stone that looked better than this. I am sure that if he recommended it, knowing the exposure that it will surely get on Pricescope, it will be just gorgeous. Whiteflash is a great company to work with.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe...since I am insane with waiting, and bored this evening since G is at rehearsal...I did this comparison picture to show my old stone and ring pic by WF last March 04 and now this new one....
30.gif
. I also noticed they rotated the new diamond so that no arrow is covered by a prong, so we''ll see if I like that even better now that all arrows are extremely visible!

two diamonds compare 0305.JPG

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
My land, that is gorgeous! You and your rhetorical threads. Reminds of being in Human Growth and Development in junior high- "Um, this friend of mine..."

I LOVE how the arrows are aligned with your new honker. It always bugs the heck outta me when the arrows are covered by prongs and/or the stone is mounted so the arrows are not perfectly symmetrical. .5 mm makes a BIG diff visually. Congratulations!

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring is a J! Love 'em!

Oh!!!(missed the photos first time) there it is! Gorgeous!
36.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Mara, I just want to say that baby is BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats on the upgrade, I''ve started the search for my upgrade recently. I''m so happy for you
36.gif

I have a quick question for ya - how high does your setting sit up? Do you hit it alot?? Mine setting (with a princess cut) sits up really high, and no matter how hard I try, I keep banging it, hard sometimes
15.gif
I''m so afraid of breaking the stone or damaging it. However, I really don''t like the way most settings look when the diamond is set low. What do you recommend I do? I really don''t want to move it lower in the setting until I have my upgrade, whenever that may be. Ugh!
20.gif

Oh yeah, and when you upgrade, so you trade in your other stone? I don''t want to trade mine in (for sentimental reasons), but I can''t afford to fork over thousands of dollars for a new one. Did you pay the entire cost up front? I don''t understand how this upgrade thing works!!!
16.gif

Sorry to highjack your thread! Congrats on your ring, and take a sleeping pill tonite, otherwise you''ll be up all nite thinking about it!!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Mara!
I''ve been trying to get a chance to post to this thread all evening.
A big congrats on the new "baby"!!!
You so remind me of me, on your quest, little by little, until you hit the big 3-0 (carats, that is!).
I think it is so cool that your diamond was graded on your 30th birthday! (Yikes -- I''m just about 10 years older than you
6.gif
)
So, as you have seen, it does require some compromise as you "move up the ladder" in upgrades (a lesson I had to learn in order to get my honker). Don''t scrutinize the clarity or the color -- it doesn''t matter and no one even knows or cares... all they see is a gorgeous ring.
I love how they allowed the arrows to show -- looks so great that way. I don''t have a H & A stone, but if I ever do, I will defintely remember to have them set it that way, it looks so awesome. To be honest, I never really cared for H & A stones until I saw YOUR new ring tonight and how fabulous they set it!!!
Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy -- I''m thrilled for you.
And, before you know it, you will be married almost 16 years like me -- and a number of upgrades under your belt (yes, this IS a sickness!!!).
36.gif

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats, Mara!

That is a GORGEOUS stone. I love WF''s ES. Best bang for the buck. I can''t wait for you to post pictures. I knew you were up to something when you were asking about J stones in platinum.
9.gif

BTW, what kind of head is that on the ring? Is that a Tulip head?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LH...it's a Stuller Solstice but before I knew what it was called, I thought it was a tulip head as well, looks like a tulip doesn't it?? I really like it even though I wish it was more 'fluid' as part of the ring rather than just plunked on top...but oh well! It does the trick at keeping the diamond up so that my w-ring can sit flush.
9.gif

Irish...I bought my previous stone from WF so I upgraded through them, I get the value paid for previous stone towards another stone that is at least $1 more. I sent them the ring, they pulled the stone out, verified it and checked it, and then put the new stone in, modified the head and setting, etc...I paid and they shipped it out. The whole thing was done in two days which was sooo great! Minimum naked hand time though I do have my w-ring which was really fun to wear by itself...normally when my e-ring is in my possession I feel such pressure to always wear it, aka it seems wrong to have a beautiful diamond ring sitting in a box and just wearing my lightweight w-ring...but since this time the e-ring was GONE, I could wear just my w-ring with no guilt!
9.gif

Headlight...I'm fascinated by all things sparkly so I think this new stone will captivate me for just long enough to...upgrade again next year?!
31.gif
Or maybe I will be enamored of it for longer term..who really knows, diamond obsession is so unpredictable! I would love to see what kind of rock I'll have in 16 years. Today I ran into our neighbors who just celebrated their SIXTY year anniversary. So amazing!!

MrsFrk...the rhetorical questions are definitely cliche...but I wanted to let others know about the USPS Priority thing without letting my cat out of the bag just yet on what was going on! I like to surprise the PS'ers even though they seem to know me WAY too well.
20.gif

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
When you reach your "final destination" a la 3 carat, you can get your mounting re-made with a basket and set low like mine. It is AMAZING how low mine sits (and no spin!) despite its measurements. Downside is that you can''t wear a band flush.

I guess I missed the USPS thread, but I''ve been dealing with that as I had to send my ring back to the guy that put on the arthritic shank (opens and closes, avoiding the knuckle altogether) because I wanted him to narrow out the shank as well as adjust the size... so, the only FEASIBLE way to send a 3+ carat diamond (plus side stones) is via Registered. That is max to $25,000 -- I don''t know what people do beyond that. So, I''ve learned to be VERY patient, given that Registered is slower than stagecoach!!!

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Mara!!! I'm so happy for you. There are few things as fun (and torturous
1.gif
) as anticipating a new diamond purchase, particularly one so significant. It looks so beautiful from the pics. I once had a J, SI2 OEC and couldn't really see a difference between that and a G color stone I had at the time (I no longer own either of these diamonds, speaking of trading up).

As for diamond prices going up, I was flabergasted today to learn that my own trade-up plans would have to be put on hold due to the huge price gap between my 1.5 ct and a 2+ ct. Maybe I should try going up in smaller increments like you.

Anyway, I can't wait for your impression and pics tomorrow. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/8/2005 11:12
6.gif
3 PM
Author: Mara

Oh and I''m sure you all will get a kick out of this, especially you Jade...today on the phone Lesley told me that maybe soon I would be wearing the 7c ACA! I WISH!
41.gif
Are you *sure* you are not in negotiation with Garry to purchase that 15ct monster???
41.gif
31.gif
11.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/9/2005 12:16:15 AM
Author: Mara
hehe...since I am insane with waiting, and bored this evening since G is at rehearsal...I did this comparison picture to show my old stone and ring pic by WF last March 04 and now this new one....
30.gif
. I also noticed they rotated the new diamond so that no arrow is covered by a prong, so we''ll see if I like that even better now that all arrows are extremely visible!
Oooooh, I like the rotation with all arrows visible much, much better.
30.gif
Does the new stone have a girdle inscription?

DiamondLil

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Mara !
That''s a nice eye clean SI-2 !
We are all waiting for hand pics.
Congratulations !

mingagreen

Shiny_Rock
Yay Mara, you lucky girl! I absolutely love your ring and now it looks even better, and I am glad you kept your head! Patiently waiting hand pics!
Lisa

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great news Mara. When I had a J the only time I really noticed the colour was under house light bulbs, it looked sort of browner to me in the centre of the diamond. I loved the look of it in the late afternoon though when the sun had just gone down (this is Britain, ofcourse).

I am hoping to go for about the 1 - 1.50 carat size but because I have short fingers I could never get away with a 3 carat, which is just as well for us financially. Did you know the Queen of England wears a 3 carat OEC.

Gale

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations Mara. It sure is pretty. I think this is a great way to go for upgrading - and smart too.

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Mara
When I look at your last pics of the rings side by side, looking down thru the table, it is hard to believe that the bigger stone is a J vs. a G on the smaller one. My words, it looks so "icey" WOW!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Mara--Congratulations. You are one smart shopper. Can''t wait to see the hand pictures!

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Mara! Your diamond is one of the ones on my "wish list", but I''m so glad that you have it...it looks great.

rms

Brilliant_Rock
Mara, your J is fantastic!!! Congrats on the early upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results