shape
carat
color
clarity

It Worked!! My new J Diamond Studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last month I discovered Pricescope because I was looking for a new diamond after losing my ring. After studying here for a while I realized that it was possible to purchase long desired diamond studs on a budget. I outlined my plan to buy the loose stones from Blue Nile and have them set locally in this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-just-ordered-j-stones-for-diamond-stud-earrings.56083/ I''m back to report that my plan worked perfectly and I am now wearing my sparkly new diamond studs. In the meantime I also found my diamond ring (and returned the claim to the insurance company). It all worked out great. Another PS success story.
36.gif

To pick up the tale where I left off. The two J SI1 diamonds (GIA excellent cut, 0.42/0.43 ct, both 1.4 on the HCA) arrived from BN exactly on schedule. I checked them out under the microscope and all the inclusions appeared white. I couldn''t find them under the loupe, so they are definitely eye clean. I compared their J color to my 1.5 ct F VS2 diamond. As many have written, I could sometimes pick out a slight tinge of yellow looking through the side, but they faced up white. Thanks to other PS threads, I located the platinum martini fittings in the Stuller on-line catalog, so my jeweler simply jotted down the part number and placed the order for me. He called four days later to say they were in. The next day I had the diamonds set. (He has 3 full time setters at the shop, so this was a quick job for them.) Cost for the platinum martini fittings, medium heavy push backs, setting and tax came to $214. My total cost for GIA excellent cut 0.85 ctw J SI1 diamond studs in platinum martini settings was $1339. The HoF quote was more than twice this for 0.75 ctw I/Js!

So, thanks for PS for showing the way. I
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
these. And, here are my new studs!!!
36.gif
36.gif

EarBox5501a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You can see a bit of color in the J from the side compared to my 1.5 ct F center stone.

DSC05293a.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
But they look great face up. I think the sizes look good too. (My F has med blue fluor, so that might be making it look a bit more blue.)

FandJFaceUp5384.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The all important ear shots.

LeftEar53xx.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Other side.

RightEar53xx.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Under sunny blue skies!!! I love sparkly diamonds.

BlueSkies5521.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
More sparkles!!

EarSpark5502.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Those are terrific looking studs and they seem perfectly white to me! Love the setting for your ring also!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for showing us! I like the side profile to show the warmth. They are gorgeous! I love the ring too
face23.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...those look great!!

Your pictures are super. Those shots comparing the F and J stones should be noted as a reference for those newbies worried about a little color in their diamonds!

Well done!
36.gif
Congratulations..

widget

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl:

I just love the graduated yellow diamonds in your engatement ring, really original and eye catching!

Your diamond studs look great. As someone who owns two J''s myself, I totally think they are a great find when they face up white. You''ve got yourself some real beauties there!
36.gif
Congratulations!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 6:49:01 PM
Author: widget
Wow...those look great!!

Your pictures are super. Those shots comparing the F and J stones should be noted as a reference for those newbies worried about a little color in their diamonds!

Well done!
36.gif
Congratulations..

widget
Thanks, everyone. I found it interesting that most of the time the F and the J stones appeared exactly the same color! If the J looked a bit yellow, I''d put my F next to it, and it would be yellow as well. The lighting is the trump card most of the time. I think unless our J owners have a reference stone to compare to, they don''t realize that most of the time their Js would not be any different looking than a colorless stone. But, I''d say about 5% of the time, the lighting did allow the difference in shades to be seen.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 7:25:26 PM
Author: SuzyQZ
Flygirl:

I just love the graduated yellow diamonds in your engatement ring, really original and eye catching!

Your diamond studs look great. As someone who owns two J''s myself, I totally think they are a great find when they face up white. You''ve got yourself some real beauties there!
36.gif
Congratulations!
Thanks. My original e-ring is a 21 pointer from when we were in college (circa 1975). I kept looking at those diamonds I got for studs and thinking each one was twice that size! The ring you see was a 25th anniversary upgrade to say "we''ve come a long ways!". I originally wanted a colored diamond center stone, but that proved to be much harder for my jeweler to source. So we compromised with the graduated colored side stones. I love colored diamonds, and am still looking for a beautiful colored diamond RHR. But it has to sparkle!
18.gif

Thanks to PSers for turning me on to Js for earrings! They do look white, and to the extent there is a bit of warmth, frankly, it looks better on a lady my age than icy white. Truly a win-win situation!
28.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!! So glad you are happy with them!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!
36.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
those are very lovely Fly Girl

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new earrings look wonderfuly Fly Girl! And I really like your e-ring with the gradulated yellows too!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Love them. This is another success story for PS. yay for finding a place to get a great deal.

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful job!!! You really got a great deal and they look great on you. The tint isn''t noticeable at all face up and with earrings, you can''t even see the side! Awesome purchase!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great earrings!! I tell ya, this really was the week for earrings on PS!

cheers--Sharon

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you found Pricescope: for the pleasure of your studs, but also the pleasure we have of seeing that KNOCK-OUT ring!!! What a fabulous symbol of your marriages growth over 25 years. Congratulations!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool to see the different colors side by side in the same pic - side view - with a white background - the ONLY way to compare.

Beautiful diamonds!!!!!

Congratulations

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look great! Nice choice!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 9:53:15 PM
Author: Upgradable
I''m glad you found Pricescope: for the pleasure of your studs, but also the pleasure we have of seeing that KNOCK-OUT ring!!! What a fabulous symbol of your marriages growth over 25 years. Congratulations!!
Thanks everyone. You are most kind. Glad you are enjoying my diamond ring. I lost the ring last July and found it again this month. It really is a beauty, designed by a local jeweler (I should say artist) about 6 years ago whose unique work I have admired for over 20 years. I am soooooo happy to have it back. Replacing it was proving to be stressful (for instance, the insurance company thought I could just go down to the mall and order a new one!). We all know better.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and white, white, white!!! IMO, those are the *perfect* size for diamond studs!!! I''m thinking about going about that size when I upgrade my .25 carat each studs!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are just gorgeous! What a perfect size for your ear.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results