Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

It Worked!! My new J Diamond Studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Last month I discovered Pricescope because I was looking for a new diamond after losing my ring. After studying here for a while I realized that it was possible to purchase long desired diamond studs on a budget. I outlined my plan to buy the loose stones from Blue Nile and have them set locally in this thread. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-just-ordered-j-stones-for-diamond-stud-earrings.56083/ I''m back to report that my plan worked perfectly and I am now wearing my sparkly new diamond studs. In the meantime I also found my diamond ring (and returned the claim to the insurance company). It all worked out great. Another PS success story.

To pick up the tale where I left off. The two J SI1 diamonds (GIA excellent cut, 0.42/0.43 ct, both 1.4 on the HCA) arrived from BN exactly on schedule. I checked them out under the microscope and all the inclusions appeared white. I couldn''t find them under the loupe, so they are definitely eye clean. I compared their J color to my 1.5 ct F VS2 diamond. As many have written, I could sometimes pick out a slight tinge of yellow looking through the side, but they faced up white. Thanks to other PS threads, I located the platinum martini fittings in the Stuller on-line catalog, so my jeweler simply jotted down the part number and placed the order for me. He called four days later to say they were in. The next day I had the diamonds set. (He has 3 full time setters at the shop, so this was a quick job for them.) Cost for the platinum martini fittings, medium heavy push backs, setting and tax came to $214. My total cost for GIA excellent cut 0.85 ctw J SI1 diamond studs in platinum martini settings was $1339. The HoF quote was more than twice this for 0.75 ctw I/Js!

So, thanks for PS for showing the way. I
these. And, here are my new studs!!!

EarBox5501a.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
You can see a bit of color in the J from the side compared to my 1.5 ct F center stone.

DSC05293a.JPG

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
But they look great face up. I think the sizes look good too. (My F has med blue fluor, so that might be making it look a bit more blue.)

FandJFaceUp5384.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The all important ear shots.

LeftEar53xx.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Under sunny blue skies!!! I love sparkly diamonds.

BlueSkies5521.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
More sparkles!!

EarSpark5502.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Those are terrific looking studs and they seem perfectly white to me! Love the setting for your ring also!!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, thanks for showing us! I like the side profile to show the warmth. They are gorgeous! I love the ring too

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow...those look great!!

Your pictures are super. Those shots comparing the F and J stones should be noted as a reference for those newbies worried about a little color in their diamonds!

Well done!
Congratulations..

widget

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
Flygirl:

I just love the graduated yellow diamonds in your engatement ring, really original and eye catching!

Your diamond studs look great. As someone who owns two J''s myself, I totally think they are a great find when they face up white. You''ve got yourself some real beauties there!
Congratulations!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 6:49:01 PM
Author: widget
Wow...those look great!!

Your pictures are super. Those shots comparing the F and J stones should be noted as a reference for those newbies worried about a little color in their diamonds!

Well done!
Congratulations..

widget
Thanks, everyone. I found it interesting that most of the time the F and the J stones appeared exactly the same color! If the J looked a bit yellow, I''d put my F next to it, and it would be yellow as well. The lighting is the trump card most of the time. I think unless our J owners have a reference stone to compare to, they don''t realize that most of the time their Js would not be any different looking than a colorless stone. But, I''d say about 5% of the time, the lighting did allow the difference in shades to be seen.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 7:25:26 PM
Author: SuzyQZ
Flygirl:

I just love the graduated yellow diamonds in your engatement ring, really original and eye catching!

Your diamond studs look great. As someone who owns two J''s myself, I totally think they are a great find when they face up white. You''ve got yourself some real beauties there!
Congratulations!
Thanks. My original e-ring is a 21 pointer from when we were in college (circa 1975). I kept looking at those diamonds I got for studs and thinking each one was twice that size! The ring you see was a 25th anniversary upgrade to say "we''ve come a long ways!". I originally wanted a colored diamond center stone, but that proved to be much harder for my jeweler to source. So we compromised with the graduated colored side stones. I love colored diamonds, and am still looking for a beautiful colored diamond RHR. But it has to sparkle!

Thanks to PSers for turning me on to Js for earrings! They do look white, and to the extent there is a bit of warmth, frankly, it looks better on a lady my age than icy white. Truly a win-win situation!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
those are very lovely Fly Girl

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new earrings look wonderfuly Fly Girl! And I really like your e-ring with the gradulated yellows too!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Love them. This is another success story for PS. yay for finding a place to get a great deal.

shay

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wonderful job!!! You really got a great deal and they look great on you. The tint isn''t noticeable at all face up and with earrings, you can''t even see the side! Awesome purchase!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Great earrings!! I tell ya, this really was the week for earrings on PS!

cheers--Sharon

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you found Pricescope: for the pleasure of your studs, but also the pleasure we have of seeing that KNOCK-OUT ring!!! What a fabulous symbol of your marriages growth over 25 years. Congratulations!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How cool to see the different colors side by side in the same pic - side view - with a white background - the ONLY way to compare.

Beautiful diamonds!!!!!

Congratulations

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 9:53:15 PM
Author: Upgradable
I''m glad you found Pricescope: for the pleasure of your studs, but also the pleasure we have of seeing that KNOCK-OUT ring!!! What a fabulous symbol of your marriages growth over 25 years. Congratulations!!
Thanks everyone. You are most kind. Glad you are enjoying my diamond ring. I lost the ring last July and found it again this month. It really is a beauty, designed by a local jeweler (I should say artist) about 6 years ago whose unique work I have admired for over 20 years. I am soooooo happy to have it back. Replacing it was proving to be stressful (for instance, the insurance company thought I could just go down to the mall and order a new one!). We all know better.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful and white, white, white!!! IMO, those are the *perfect* size for diamond studs!!! I''m thinking about going about that size when I upgrade my .25 carat each studs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.