shape
carat
color
clarity

Is yellow gold coming back?

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it seem like yellow gold is coming back in popularity? I'm seeing much more jewelry in YG advertised. Maybe it's just me looking for something new after buying everything in white metals for a really long time. Thoughts?

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read something the other day about the sales of gold going up - who knows? Everything seems cyclical to a point!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe it is Baby Monster. My nieces who are in their 20's are wearing it. I have noticed it being shown in ads much more than in previous years.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 19 year old college student has been wearing it lately. She's always loved yellow gold Michael Kors watches, but recently she's been wearing my yellow necklaces as well, layering them.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the timing could be right for yellow gold to make a comeback. I recall how refreshing it was to switch to white metals about 14 years ago. But after looking at a favorite white gold ring on one of my hands vs. a yellow gold one on my other hand, I was definitely ready to go back to wearing the yg pieces again. I have been craving a rose gold ring for 5-7 years now, but never could name up my mind exactly what I wanted. I have a larger J/K diamond that I've always wanted to reset. But I'm thinking now that I'd rather go 18k yg for that ring instead of rose gold. yg is just so warm and pretty. The white metal rings I have are starting to seem "bland", colorwise.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have always loved yellow gold with colored gemstones and pearls.
However, I still think diamonds look best in white metals.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure about the marketplace, but it has for me.
I started wearing mostly white metals 10-12 years ago, eventually resetting my ering into white gold when I found that my yellow gold pieces were turning my fingers black.
Well now I'm finding myself reaching for my yellow pieces again and wondering about my rings and how to deal with a sensitivity to that yg on my hands (and only my hands, weirdly.)

BlingObsession

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't believe in limiting myself based on "what's hot" especially with my jewelry. I happily wear all colours of metal (and even occasionally all at the same time) however I have noticed my daughter sneaking some of my yellow gold pieces lately....

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never been able to wear just one colour metal - wedding set is platinum ering and a pinkish-YG/WG orange blossom band. Right hand is occasionally a single WG band of single cuts but much more usually a mix of yellow, white, rose gold or palladium stackers.
I'd love to see more rich warm yellow gold jewellery around - currently you only seem to see it in antique pieces in NZ.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gold was ever out of style? Well, knock me over with a gold brick. I completely missed it. ;)2 I can see that it went out of style in bridal jewelry, but for everything else, I never really noticed that it was "out".

I confess I'm always amused at the "yellow gold" label. Gold is...gold. Only everything else needs a modifier, IMO.

Like some others here, I mix my metals, often in the same pieces. I don't chase styles, and I wear what I like, sometimes white metals and sometimes gold. But mostly gold. My engagement ring is 18K, my wedding band is 14K, and my other wedding band (with white diamonds rather than colored ones) is white..gold. And honestly, who cares what karat it is, or even what metal it is, when it just ends up being...white. As long as it holds the stone securely and doesn't tarnish, right? (said somewhat TIC, but not entirely)

But my best and most loved pieces are 22K. It doesn't show in my avatar, which appears washed out on my monitor, probably because the pic just didn't capture it, but the gold of that ring is 22K and is so intense in real life. Basically, the closer it is to 24K, the better I like it! =)2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to be a strict white metal lover, but then fell in love with the ancient warmth of yellow gold. It feels buttery and it glows in such a wonderful way, like sunlight. The higher the karat, the better! 24 k gold is truly gorgeous.

At that point, I stopped wearing my white metal completely. It felt too cold and harsh by comparison.

Now I have incorporated a few platinum pieces, and some Native American silver pieces, which I mix in with the gold. In some jewelry, white metal is simply the best.

I'd say that mixing is great, but my collection will probably always be primarily yellow gold.
Also, I've noticed that my teenage daughter and her friends love yellow and rose gold.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I got married (1978) it was actually quite unusual to see white metals, everything was yellow gold, so my wedding ring was y/g.

I've mixed metals before, but now I prefer platinum, I like the more metallic look to it rather than the shiny bright white gold.

I think y/g looks great on some women, just not me.

P

PierreBear

I shop at Madewell (mostly earrings and necklaces) and they tend to have jewelry that has yellow gold/brassy look. My original e-ring is platinum but for am considering yellow gold for a future ring. I realized that for my skin tone, yellow gold looks nice. Or perhaps, I'm just being influenced with the current trend as well!

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sure is around here (NYC). Rose gold too. Seeing a lot more, mostly even, YG and RG engagement rings on younger people I work with. I've been wearing mainly white metals for years, which now feels very dated. So I'm finally venturing out into mixed metals, feeling like I've been living under a rock for the past few years.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it is cyclical. Everything old is new again! I wear what looks best with my skin tone, which is platinum/white gold and rose gold. Yellow gold tends to make my skin appear ruddy, so while I have some yg costume pieces, my forever jewelry is platinum or rg.

@ksinger I'd love to see more photos of your avatar ring. Is there a thread somewhere??

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes!!! It really went out of fashion, replaced by all the white metals, and then rose gold was and is still really popular and now yellow gold is back everywhere again.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is cyclical. Everything old is new again! I wear what looks best with my skin tone, which is platinum/white gold and rose gold. Yellow gold tends to make my skin appear ruddy, so while I have some yg costume pieces, my forever jewelry is platinum or rg.

@ksinger I'd love to see more photos of your avatar ring. Is there a thread somewhere??

Yes. =)2 I probably should have put it in SMTB, but I didn't. I was thinking of all that high karat gold, so I put it in the gold designer thread. But (wait for it) because gold is out of style (ha!) it didn't get that much viewing outside the already gold-smitten contingent. ;)2
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/page-58

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. Perhaps the resurgence is cyclical as yenniefire pointed out or influenced by usage of yellow toned metal in other accessories like bags and watches as nala wrote. It's interesting that teens and early 20s seem to be reaching for YG.

I think I'm going to break out my YG pieces that have been hanging out in the safe for the past decade. Perhaps even get some new dangly gold earrings that recently caught my eye.

Any interest in starting a SMTB for YG pieces?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it's coming Back, it's all I wear. More choice for me!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Is yellow gold coming back?" This question has been asked since I joined Pricescope and I have tried to chronicle the threads about it. Below is a partial list of threads in which the matter of whether yellow gold was coming back was discussed. :saint:

ksinger pointed out that in The Gold Thread (i.e. Do You Have A Favorite Gold Designer?) that yellow gold is discussed (and pictured) at great length. There is also a thread dedicated solely to yellow gold jewelry (Show Me The Yellow Gold Bling). If one loves yellow gold, he should visit those threads!

Previous Pricescope Threads On Whether Yellow Gold Was Coming Back

Yellow Gold Setting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yellow-gold-setting.132012/#post-2335521#p2335521
Does Yellow Gold Band Change Diamond Color?: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...e-diamond-color.175482/#post-3196720#p3196720
Show Me The Yellow Gold Bling: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...old-bling.162375/page-2#post-2952730#p2952730
Is yellow gold increasing in popularity?: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...g-in-popularity.156438/#post-2849549#p2849549
Show me your yellow gold E-ring settings: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-yellow-gold-e-ring-settings.75941/
Is Yellow Gold out of style?: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/is-yellow-gold-out-of-style.35446/
Is yellow gold making a comeback?: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-yellow-gold-e-ring-settings.75941/
Show me your yellow gold rings: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...old-rings.100476/page-4#post-1935894#p1935894
Do You Have A Favorite Gold Designer?: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/
WhyDid Platinum Become More Popular Than Gold?: https://www.pricescope.com/forum/posting.php?mode=quote&f=5&p=3212011

thorstedswife

Shiny_Rock
I think rose gold really helped with it "coming back "

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally back! It was really "out" for a few years, very Eighties, conjuring up images of badly-cut marquise rings and really thick channel-set diamond bands, very "mall" looking...but I think what happened was many designers started making some really delicious YG collections again. Tiffany had a long palm-leaf necklace in YG, which really showed how stylish it could be, and I like their current large-ball bypass bangle in the new Hardwear collection. Now I think of YG as very "minimalist with a tan" - think Jennifer Aniston's style, and the way she layers gold necklaces.

I was all about the white metals and now I think that YG can be very sophisticated...I've bought a ton of yellow gold pieces in the last couple of years, and I never thought I'd wear it again after the Eighties. Now white metals look a bit "nothing" to me, a bit colorless and lifeless....except paired with diamonds. I agree with another poster above that diamonds look best in white metal.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now white metals look a bit "nothing" to me, a bit colorless and lifeless....except paired with diamonds. I agree with another poster above that diamonds look best in white metal.

I often, although not always, set my diamonds in a platinum head within a yellow gold setting when I use yellow gold for a piece of diamond jewelry. I do have lovely inside/out diamond earrings from Whiteflash that are white gold, however. I also have a 24K gold ring in which a G color stone of over a carat that is set with no platinum head. Why not play with things?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Jamba, My Tiffany DBTY is all rose gold.....bezel and all. It is gorgeous (if I do say so ) and doesn't suffer from a lack of white metal....

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Jamba, My Tiffany DBTY is all rose gold.....bezel and all. It is gorgeous (if I do say so ) and doesn't suffer from a lack of white metal....

cheers--Sharon

I'm sure there's a photo somewhere. Please repost it here! I am dying to see that necklace!!! Even if I saw it before!

Deb :wavey:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sure there's a photo somewhere. Please repost it here! I am dying to see that necklace!!! Even if I saw it before!

I am guilty of not sharing....that said, there is a picture on CS where it was layered with my SE sapphire necklace...doesn't show the DBTY well at all! While those neck shots are horrific (ugh my skin) trust me...the necklace is lovely (all rose gold and all) !

cheers--Sharon

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am guilty of not sharing....that said, there is a picture on CS where it was layered with my SE sapphire necklace...doesn't show the DBTY well at all! While those neck shots are horrific (ugh my skin) trust me...the necklace is lovely (all rose gold and all) !

Then take a new photo, Sharon!!! In the meantime, would you, please, show us the one you have here? I don't know how to find it on Colored Stones! Why are you being so difficult?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results