shape
carat
color
clarity

Is upgrading important to you?

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers-

Is upgrading important to you when buying a diamond? If so, please feel free to respond. How does this influence your shopping for a diamond? Is there a particular vendor that you prefer? Are there some vendors you would stay away from because of their upgrading policies?

Or do you plan to just sell whatever diamond you have outright, then purchase a new diamond with that money plus extra dollars in an account.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took upgrade and buy-back policies into account because I'm a single buying for myself. I upgraded once. Honestly, I don't see myself going much larger than 1.6 - 1.8 ct or so. Unless a fantastic diamond turns up at this vendor, or diamond prices nosedive, or I find a diamond that some private seller is selling at a price too good to pass up, I don't foresee another diamond upgrade in the near future. The performance for the pricepoint of my current diamond would be very, very difficult to obtain in a diamond 1.5ct or up. There' is too much competition once you hit the 1.5ct mark, from there up to 2ct.

Would I stay away from some due to their policies: Definitely, unless I was buying outright, receiving a great discount compared to what other vendors offered, and I had no intention of selling or trading that diamond. Buying a "forever diamond" at a super-good price, in other words.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
For me, you could not get me to sell my original diamond, the one my husband put on my hand when he asked me to marry him.

Over the years, I have bought and received other pieces. And back then women were not in on the diamond purchase. All my husband knew was round cut. But to those who are, I would buy the nicest diamond you can afford, and then build onto that with complimentary pieces in the future.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought trade in was important to me when I bought a little BGD stone however, prices climbed so much that to buy my stone
now would cost about double what I paid for it. So trade-in for what I paid doesnt make any sense. I should make more out right
selling it but you know how that can go. Anyway, trade in didnt end up as important as I thought it would be.

Elsafiancee

Rough_Rock
It depends on the piece. No way I'm upgrading my ering. I love it and it's highly sentimental. I would have wished to have an upgrade option for my earrings and pendant though. I settled for changing the setting instead, which worked fine.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrade policy is extremely important. No, I dont have any plan to upgrade. However, it is additional protection if you ever change your mind.

There have been so many unfortunate stories here at PS, involving inflexible upgrade policy.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading is important to me although technically I upgraded only once.

My first ering diamond was a .75 E-SI2 marquise that is now set in a pendant, purchased at Granat Brothers in San Francisco in 1979.

My second diamond was a 1.50 F-VS1 marquise that my aunt brought back for me from Los Angeles in 1984. I paid her for it though. It is set in a RHR with 24 princess cuts that I don't wear anymore.

Third diamond was a 2.05 D-VS2 oval that I bought from the Gift Center/Jewelry Mart in San Francisco in 1986.

Dear hubby had an affair and divorced me in 1993, so I wore it as a RHR for awhile.

I met new hubby in 1995, he proposed in July 1996 without a ring. I traded my 2.05 D-VS2 oval for a 3.01 F-SI1 pear, they did have an upgrade policy that we had to spend twice as much (which new hubby did). I even reused the mounting because the ring had a peg head, just swap out the oval for a pear. So that worked out well because new hubby wanted to get me a new diamond and didn't mind if I traded in my old one (yes, side by side, I can see the difference between a D and an F, Ds are icy white).

Now I own a cut to order Crafted by Infinity diamond 2.21 F-SI1 (set in RHR Vatche Serenity) with a great upgrade policy. Just trade it in (along with grading reports) for any more expensive CBI diamond. I think Wink of HPD told me that he had a serial upgrader that has upgraded about 4 times?
Wink also has a great 80% buyback policy that I told hubby to look into it if I should die first.

I might upgrade my CBI in the future, but it would be to over 3 cts, F-VS2, and only if our portfolio grows to a certain size. This is when I wish my eyes were not so darn color sensitive. Could save lots of money with an H insread of an F. Got a perfect score on the Munsell color test.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading isn't important to me right now because my husband doesn't interfere with my diamond buying, but if he does start interfering for no good reason, I don't have a problem upgrading him. :saint: :angel:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PintoBean|1469743222|4060333 said:
Upgrading isn't important to me right now because my husband doesn't interfere with my diamond buying, but if he does start interfering for no good reason, I don't have a problem upgrading him. :saint: :angel:
Haha pinto. Not nice :-o

Dster

Rough_Rock
There is no way I could even contemplate upgrading my 0.46ct engagement ring. It has way too much sentimental value. I thought about modifying it to add in my new stone but each time I thought about it my stomach went into knots. Instead I am getting a new ring made for my right hand with my 1.43ct 40th birthday stone. When purchasing this most recent stone an upgrade policy didn't even cross my mind.

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock

Pinto, you are my inspiration! To use a very overused phrase: YOU GO GIRL :appl: :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading policies are very important to me.

I kept my original ering for sentimental reasons and I wouldn't want to upgrade it anyway at the place it was purchased from.

My 2nd ering was upgraded 2 times after starting out with a .50 diamond. I upgraded it to a .75 then 1.0.

My current diamond will not be upgraded for personal reasons so it's a good thing I love it.

The places I've bought my studs, diamonds for RHR and assorted sapphires from have great upgrade policies - I only have to spend more than what they cost me.

I've upgraded my EC diamonds, sapphires and rubies many times. It is awesome to have a big down payment on the next purchase.

Marcy

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ringo865 said:
Haha pinto. Not nice :-o
I know, bad bean! This is how I end up in situations like this past Thanksgiving with my MIL and aunt (DH side) threatening to poke me with their dinner forks if I don't behave and my mom diagonal from me cheering them on! :naughty: :dance:
Fulvia said:

Pinto, you are my inspiration! To use a very overused phrase: YOU GO GIRL :appl: :appl:
Fulvia, always aspire for higher than being a simple pinto bean! :loopy: :lol: but thank you for that lol!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: ..That's what I told my wife... :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
PintoBean - I adore your sense of fun!

Upgrading is extremely important to me. My engagement ring stone was 0.20. That little stone is now in a bezel set ring with a sapphire that I've already given to my youngest daughter. The sentiment and everything surrounding getting the ring at the time was wonderful but I was always destined to upgrade at sometime.

The possibility of acquiring a diamond in the US very much cheaper than, anything I could get here in Australia, was very appealing to me. I recently traded a small AVR from Good Old Gold for a 0.68 carat diamond from Good Old Gold to put in a Mark Morrell solitaire I already had. I also have another AVR from Good old Gold which I hope to trade in for a larger AVR to put into another setting I already have. The upgrade policies have allowed me to save for the difference over time. It also allowed for a change of mind, as my taste has altered, to choices I now know I will continue to enjoy. I also discovered another good reason to go with a store that allows upgrades. Our currency has declined against the US dollar, however my diamond was traded for its full amount in US dollars when I did my last swap.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgrading was very important to me when choosing a vendor (although I promised DH I'd never upgrade)... Oops! [emoji15][emoji56]

Diamonds Direct has an upgrade policy of 110% buy back on the diamond, so I'd be crazy not to upgrade at least once, right??

...so that's exactly what I did. 2.43 J/SI1 to 3.33 I/SI2 -- easy as that! [emoji18]

I don't foresee any upgrades in my future... but that could change. [emoji57]

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fulvia|1469752074|4060359 said:

You guys are hilarious! :lol:

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1469795782|4060503 said:
Upgrading was very important to me when choosing a vendor (although I promised DH I'd never upgrade)... Oops! [emoji15][emoji56]

Diamonds Direct has an upgrade policy of 110% buy back on the diamond, so I'd be crazy not to upgrade at least once, right??

...so that's exactly what I did. 2.43 J/SI1 to 3.33 I/SI2 -- easy as that! [emoji18]

Did you enjoy working with Diamonds Direct? I always passed them by because I assumed they were no different than any other retail store but that trade policy is nothing to sneeze at.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I upgraded some of my pieces already and planning to upgrade again so vendor policies are important to me. Selling and then buying depends on how much your jewelry appreciated, otherwise you're more likely to take a hit.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think I can speak for other vendors here in saying this is a very interesting conversation to follow.

From the perspective of a vendor that has been offering a formal trade-up benefit for 15 years, I can share the following observation which I think is interesting. A strong majority of customers do not feel they will ever use the benefit at the outset. However, a significant number do end up taking advantage of it over time! :think:

What this tells me is that a trade-up benefit is generally discounted in the calculations of the shopper. But it becomes a truly valuable benefit to the owner. Therefore, although it may not seem like something to focus on during the buying process, it is really nice to have that option in your back pocket!

Another thing about trade-up that many people may not know is that formal policies that guarantee trade-up benefits are relatively new to the market. Still today most traditional stores do not provide them. This is one of the many consumer friendly developments that e-commerce has brought about. Mainly because online merchants have to deliver more value because of the natural hesitation that most consumers still feel toward making purchases of this nature online.

For consumers who learn the advantages of shopping and buying diamonds online, a liberal trade-up guarantee can be a valuable piece of the proposition.

4114heidi

Rough_Rock

Could you provide me with the website for diamonds direct? I am liking the trade-in policy you mentioned. It sounds a lot like Genesis diamonds in Tennessee.

Where is diamonds direct based out of?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is an important distinction between a buy-back and a trade-up policy. And as with any kind of policy, the 'devil is in the details'.
(or the angel if it is a really good policy) :saint:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sunfish said:

Did you enjoy working with Diamonds Direct? I always passed them by because I assumed they were no different than any other retail store but that trade policy is nothing to sneeze at.

I absolutely love DD! They have thousands of diamonds in inventory to look at while you're there… And they are the closest to online prices I've found in a brick and mortar store.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it matters. I just want a pretty sparkly rock. However my definition of a pretty sparkly rock can change over time. Thus upgrade policies are necessary.

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1469827501|4060662 said:
Sunfish said:

I absolutely love DD! They have thousands of diamonds in inventory to look at while you're there… And they are the closest to online prices I've found in a brick and mortar store.

So they had diamonds in house that fell within PS standards? I talked to them and they said their policy was 110% of the purchase price towards a new diamond so I guess that's more a trade up policy. Either way, super deal! I may reach out to them. Your new MRB is dreamy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results