shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this wearable in 2024 - Mom’s 50 year old Opal Cluster (Poll)

Is this ring wearable in 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 49 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

newtojewels

Shiny_Rock
It's a real statement piece, absolutely lovely and very wearable!

For people who know opals better, how would you clean it? I'm asking because I have a new-to-me opal ring. I don't think you should try to polish the gold up to remove the patina, but I assume a baby toothbrush and dish soap would be fine to keep things clean? Google seems to say so.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kgizo thank you for commenting. I think mom’s taste just ran to the more simple wedding band and pendant necklace. I certainly didn’t get my love of jewels from her! :lol: The ribbed band didn’t bother me wearing it around the house. I’ll try to wear it out but will make sure the stones are secure like Matata noticed. Funny story about a jeweler and opals. I did break one once. My grandmother’s … :(

@newtojewels thank you very much. It’s definitely a statement piece. But I do have some events I could wear it to. I’m also interested in if cleaning is a thing for opals. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it! The geometry of the design is interesting and cool. Do the shank ribs bother your other fingers? Wondering if it was a comfort issue for your mom.

I’ve heard a theory that “opals are bad luck” was started by jewelers during royal times because opals are delicate and if a royal asked you to set one and it broke it was not good for the jeweler.

that is very interesting because Queen Alexandra (Queen VIctoria's DIL) had the opals removoved from the Oriental circlet and replaced by rubbies
there is hope the opals are still in the vault and maybe Queen Camila will dig them out
1712602627328.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like it. It has a very gothic look to it, like something a vampire might wear, and I mean that as an absolute compliment. I would wear it when I was feeling dramatic.

And I love the patina on the gold so I’m very glad you decided not to clean it. It really emphasizes the metal work. Do you know the karat?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it. It has a very gothic look to it, like something a vampire might wear, and I mean that as an absolute compliment. I would wear it when I was feeling dramatic.

And I love the patina on the gold so I’m very glad you decided not to clean it. It really emphasizes the metal work. Do you know the karat?

Why thank you and appreciate you for weighing in @Dreamer_D The fact that it’s gothic like is a nice surprise to me!! It is 14k YG. It feels very dramatic for sure! :)

Very interesting @Daisys and Diamonds thank you for sharing that!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's the solar system! The sun and eight planets.

So it's not to scale. It's fabulous just as it is.

Oh my!!!!! My jaw dropped! You’re so witty @empliau ! And eclipse weekend is when I grew an appreciation for this long tucked away ring. Thank you!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! The geometry of the design is interesting and cool. Do the shank ribs bother your other fingers? Wondering if it was a comfort issue for your mom.

I’ve heard a theory that “opals are bad luck” was started by jewelers during royal times because opals are delicate and if a royal asked you to set one and it broke it was not good for the jeweler.

That's what I love about this forum. All the interesting perspectives!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results