shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this wearable in 2024 - Mom’s 50 year old Opal Cluster (Poll)

Is this ring wearable in 2024?

• Yes

Votes: 49 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today I pulled out mom and grandma’s jewelry to see if DD wanted any. I remember my dad gifting this ring to my mom in the early to mid 70’s. She never liked it. I always felt sad that my dad bought this piece for her that she never liked. I’m pulling this out for some wear in my dad’s (and moms) memory.
What do you all think of it? Pretty ugly or pretty interesting metal work? It’s 14kt YG. Obviously night light isn’t that good for opals? I’ll take more in the daylight.
Poll for fun!

IMG_1706.jpeg
IMG_1705.jpeg IMG_1714.jpeg IMG_1713.jpeg IMG_1707.jpeg

Last edited:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's wonderful. Wear it in good health and with good memories.

I do love opal rings!

Thank you so much!! I’ve never considered wearing it because mom never fancied it but yes, I should wear it!! For dad!! :)

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Was your mom superstitious? The legend is that opal brings bad luck to anyone who wears it if they're not born in October. I wore my opal (purchased 1974, a similar time) for many good years with no problems and I'm a June baby, so...

IMG_0037.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 4

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One YA DD would rock that. (Not "YA" in the literary sense which seems to mean about 12; I mean an actual 20-something with funky/eclectic -- but tasteful -- taste.)

I inherited some similar pieces from a very elderly aunt (pretty much her only jewelry) and DD loves them.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's pretty!
I seem to remember this antique revival style was popular in the jewelry catalogs at that time.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@empliau oh interesting. I don’t believe she was superstitious. Her jewelry tastes ran more classic and simple. Her fave piece was her trinity band. My birthday is in October so that’s reassuring. Yours is very pretty!! Nice color on the opal.

@LilAlex same here. My YA is pulling pieces I never thought she would. Those chunky gold pieces are making a comeback. Thanks for your observations!

@stracci2000 Yes! I’m assuming it was what was being shown at the time as dad probably picked it up in NYC. Thank you so much for the compliment. :)

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i must confess i voted yes even before i looked at it
it was your mum's,
inherited jewlery comes with so much love,:kiss2:

in this case Dad must have loved this piece, of course you can wear it, who cares what is in fashion, fashion is fickle anyway, we wear what we like and who cares what anyone else thinks,

there is so much pressure out there on how we look and present our selves to the world,:(2 so wear whatever jewlery you want to rock !
Do not ever let the world get in between you and something you really love

pity the kids of today who listen to those too young to know F*** all influences,
my work mate is addicted to tik tok -honestly what she thinks is true would be laughable if it wasnt tragic:wall::wall::wall:

now ive looked at it :appl::appl::appl::appl::appl::appl:
what a lovely piece:kiss2:
i would wear it
i love the finger coverage
it does look quite 70's to me
i am from the 70's, so i love the 70's,:love:

despite what people will tell you the decade had a lot of style, perhaps you remember now? =)2
you have to think beyond the orange tupperwear and remember some of the glamor :lol-2:

as for superstition i heard it was ok if it was gifted to the person not born in October -but you are so its a non-issue
Your mum received this from your dad and now it has been inherited by you :kiss2:
that counts as a gift to me, or mum would have left it to the SPCA or something:lol-2:
who cares about other people's superstitions any way

i think it would also be cool if your daughter wore it, she could make it look young and edgy im sure
i was gifted an opal ring by a lovely PSer (i am not an October birthday) and i have so much fun with it and its moods as the seasons change

disclaimer (i actually no nothing about fashion, i wear a lot silver jewellery because a 73 year old rock star does (Bruce Springsteen)

my screen is not true to colour, the gold looks like it needs a polish to me, i just use a gentle silver polishing cloth on my gold, i dont think it would hurt the opals but someone will be along to reassure us shortly
i recently polished up an old unworn ring that was so tarnished i thought it was brass and the gold shined up beatifully

please wear that ring tonight, even if you are just having a night on the couch watching TV, it looks like it needs to be sized up, but hay for tonight use that pinky!

Last edited:

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! What a beautiful ring!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, it is. It's cool.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another fan! It’s such an interesting ring to look at!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds thank you so much for your comment. You are right! Who cares what’s in or not. Certainly not I!! :lol: it does fit my ring finger and I did lounge about in it last evening!

@Diamond*Dana thank you so much!
@nala @ItsMainelyYou and @Ally T I really appreciate the feedback!

I never appreciated it until last night! I’ll definitely pull it out for some daylight! It’s first in 50 years :lol:

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, YES! You need to wear it. I have a vintage brooch, bracelet and earrings that would go with it perfectly. I wear them all the time.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my gosh, YES! You need to wear it. I have a vintage brooch, bracelet and earrings that would go with it perfectly. I wear them all the time.

Ohh!! @Catmom that’s wonderful to hear!! Thank you so much for sharing!!
Any tips on cleaning the gold up without harming the opals (I know they are fragile). I used the sunshine cloth a bit but would love a better solution!
Thank you again!! I would love to see your brooch and bracelet!

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Any tips on cleaning the gold up without harming the opals (I know they are fragile). I used the sunshine cloth a bit but would love a better solution!

I wonder if it's meant to be cleaned up? My ring has always had that dark/blackened look on the gold. I think it makes the fire show.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wonder if it's meant to be cleaned up? My ring has always had that dark/blackened look on the gold. I think it makes the fire show.

I agree with empliau. I don't worry about cleaning the gold much as they are vintage and I like the patina. Here are some pics of the brooch, bracelet and earrings.

IMG_7043.jpg

IMG_9968.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow @Catmom thank you so much for sharing!! Your pieces are drool worthy. Stunning. I love them all!!
I’ll heed your and @empliau (thank you) advice and leave and enjoy as is!
I definitely get the feels when wearing mom’s jewelry! Thank you both for indulging me! ❤️

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Oh its FABU! Look at the shank--tres cool! As you know I inherited my Mom's opal ring--and I recall when my Dad gave it to her decades ago, she did not care for it either. But later she started to wear it and it became her go to ring.

cheers--Sharon

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww that’s so sweet @canuk-gal that your mom began to enjoy wearing it! Perhaps that will be me! I will try to bring her out for some daylight now! Thank you for sharing!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last pic in your OP -- one of the opals looks like it's sitting crooked so if you haven't already, be sure to check out all the prongs before wearing it.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last pic in your OP -- one of the opals looks like it's sitting crooked so if you haven't already, be sure to check out all the prongs before wearing it.

Oh, thank you so much @Matata I do see that now! Off to find my loupe!

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
From Artcut gems’ website: Opals bad luck? Only if you dont own one!

Your ring has a lovely vintage vibe. It looks great and is totally wearable these days, as far as I’m concerned! A nice memento of your parents as well.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@fiona00004 thank you! I agree about the metalwork. I really do not have such a detailed piece so it’s a nice change for me.

@Garnetgirl aww thanks!! I guess I have to adjust my thinking about vintage since I remember this purchase…hence I must be vintage :lol: I also love the sentimentality of it.

@Asscherhalo_lover how right you are. I think I need to find some outfits that this would suit. Thank you so much for weighing in!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! The geometry of the design is interesting and cool. Do the shank ribs bother your other fingers? Wondering if it was a comfort issue for your mom.

I’ve heard a theory that “opals are bad luck” was started by jewelers during royal times because opals are delicate and if a royal asked you to set one and it broke it was not good for the jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results