shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this THE "one"?

MandyPandy

Rough_Rock
Hello Pricescopers :wavey: !

I've been voraciously reading this forum to learn about diamonds before we make a purchase. I have searched for many hours trying to find the "one". I think I may have found something that has significant promise. What are your thoughts on this one? I realize that the crown angle is steeper than recommended (35.5 vs 34-35), so I am not sure if this will have a negative impact on the diamond. I have requested ASET/idealscope images from a vendor so hopefully this can help.

The HCA score is 1.3 with everything excellent except for the spread, which is VG. I am also wondering if the inclusions would negatively impact the diamond (visually and structurally)?

Stats are as follows (sorry for the caps, I copy and pasted :oops: ):
SHAPE: ROUND
WEIGHT: 1.31 CT.
CUT: EXCELLENT
CLARITY: SI1
COLOR: F
FLUOR: STRONG BLUE
POLISH: EXCELLENT
SYMMETRY: EXCELLENT
SIZE: 7.01 x 6.96 x 4.35 mm
DEPTH 62.3%
PAV. DEPTH: 42.5%
TABLE: 55.0%
GIRDLE: MEDIUM TO SLIGHTLY THICK
CROWN HEIGHT: 16.0%
CROWN ANGLE: 35.5°
PAVILION ANGLE: 40.6°

I am in Canada so I would like to do my due diligence before purchasing to avoid returning diamonds since then we lose on the exchange rate. I have found this diamond at three vendors and the price ranges from USD $7300 to $8300.

Thanks so much for your input, it is greatly appreciated!

MandyPandy
diamond_5.png diamond2_2.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You need the ASET/IS to check for any light leakage from 35.5/40.6 combo.
Also, the stone needs to be examined for any negative effect from strong fluo and for eye-cleanliness using your definition, not vendors.

Lastly, one of the three vendors is located in Canada. So, if potential return shipping cost and/or the exchange rate is a concern, check with the vendor if they accept CAD.

If you have a US credit card (many Canadian residents do), the exchange rate on refund should not be a concern IMO.
You pay in USD which is charged to your USD credit card. If refund happens, you get all credit back in USD... so you lose nothing (except return shipping cost)

fair75

Rough_Rock
I agree with flyingpig that IS/ASET scope images are required to evaluate the light performance for the steep crown angles. Note that the depth is also a bit longer, which means the spread of the diamond is slightly reduced. Moreover, for colorless diamonds (D,E and F), strong fluorescence often has a negative impact on the diamond, causing it to look cloudy/milky. A professional assessment is required to determine that. Many savvy shoppers tend to avoid diamonds that have strong fluorescence unless they don't look milky or cloudy.

Is there a reason why you want a diamond with a steep crown angle? Many of the diamonds with steep crown angles tend to be GIA triple Ex, since GIA has a greater tolerance for what would get the top grade. This is not to say that those diamonds aren't beautiful, but many of them tend to leak more light and have less-than-ideal light returns. That's why IS/ASET scope images are important here. I seem to recall that the combo of crown angle 35 degrees and pavilion 41 degrees is viewed by many experts as the farthest they would go. Please feel free to correct me if my information is off.

There are many diamonds that would have the ideal numbers without crown angles going over 35 and/or pavilion angle going over 41. In terms of prices, you have to do some comparison shopping. I have seen some steep and deep GIA diamonds costing more than the ones with all the ideal numbers. Prices can and will fluctuate, depending on many factors. As a consumer, I would comparison shop at different vendors and pick the ones that will have the ideal numbers and meet your budget. For example, James Allen, Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, High Performance Diamonds are some of the vendors that many people on here would purchase from. Regardless of which vendor you choose, stick with diamonds that look eye-clean, have ideal proportions, good IS/ASET scope images and none/faint fluorescence (for D, E and F diamonds). If the diamond is H or lower, medium fluorescence can usually make it look whiter.

MandyPandy

Rough_Rock
Thanks flyingpig and fair75 for your replies! I will post the ASET/IS images once I receive them.

I have no preference for a steep crown angle. I was searching through the Pricescope database and found this diamond which seemed to be larger than the other diamonds in my budget. I think I would prefer to have a more "ideal" angle combo, but if the ASET/IS images are okay (and there are no negative effects from the fluor) then I am okay to purchase it.

I am okay with the spread being a little reduced due to the depth since the other diamonds I have found in my budget are approx. 6.8-6.85mm, so this one is larger and at a comparable price.

Regarding the fluor, if there is no haziness/oiliness caused, would there be other negative impacts on an F colour diamond?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
High color + twinning wisps + strong fluorescence = high risk for milky or hazy appearance in diamond.

These diamonds often have transparency issues. And unless you have a great vendor like GOG, WF, BGD, or IDJ that have trained staff gemologists to screen these stones for you, you may get an ignorant sales person who says "it's going to be great" and since you have no experience with diamonds yourself, you may not know better when you see it.

So if you are going with a drop shipper, make sure you take the stone to a hearts on fire dealer for comparison if you get it-- within the return period. OR better yet, have the stone sourced through one of the vendors listed above, and have them screen it for you.

MandyPandy

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1467596498|4051201 said:
High color + twinning wisps + strong fluorescence = high risk for milky or hazy appearance in diamond.

These diamonds often have transparency issues. And unless you have a great vendor like GOG, WF, BGD, or IDJ that have trained staff gemologists to screen these stones for you, you may get an ignorant sales person who says "it's going to be great" and since you have no experience with diamonds yourself, you may not know better when you see it.

So if you are going with a drop shipper, make sure you take the stone to a hearts on fire dealer for comparison if you get it-- within the return period. OR better yet, have the stone sourced through one of the vendors listed above, and have them screen it for you.

Thanks Gypsy for your reply! I feel like there is probably a transparency issue as the price seemed to be a little low. I like the idea of having the stone sourced through one of the recommended vendors since they know exactly what to look for. I also saw a setting at IDJ that I liked, so that would make the whole process much easier. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are on break right now. Get in touch with them in a couple weeks. :wavey:

MandyPandy

Rough_Rock
I have received the ASET and idealscope images. I think they look pretty good but would love to hear other people's thoughts!

The gemologist comments were that "the diamond is completely eye clean with none of the inclusions visible to the naked eyes. The strong blue fluorescence does not affect the diamond at all as it has a beautiful white face up."

Is this worth purchasing? Or should I source it from a different vendor who could provide me with more objective comments? From the previous comments I feel this diamond could have transparency issues which the gemologist has not mentioned.

8419011_idealscope_image.jpg

8419011_aset_image.jpg

_37691.jpg

Q

Queenie60

Hi OP - looks like you're finding this diamond from Enchanteddiamonds.com? If so, this could be a virtual stone that they do not have on hand for physical review, most likely overseas. You can input criteria on their website "show diamonds located in NYC" - this way they can physically see the stone prior to your purchase. Or, wait until July 11th when ID Jewelry is back from break, Yekutiel is good at sourcing stones within NYC and can physically review them priory to your purchase. Good luck - glad you have Gypsy, flyingpig and other experts here helping you. :wavey:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am a Canadian shopper as well. It is tough. The free return policy does not apply to us. We need to be careful.
The stone has no light leakage. It is potentially a stunning stone. The vendor assured that there is no negative effect from strong fluo and the stone is eye-clean. If I were a US resident, I would buy this stone for in person inspection. If not good, return at no cost.

But for us... What if?? what if I can see the inclusions despite the vendor's claim???! What if I can see haziness under direct sunlight from strong fluo?
Return shipping cost and any exchange rate applied upon refund can be significant. You also have to deal with sale taxes refund as well.
It is not a easy decision to make. The stone is very attractively priced for 1.3 F SI1, mainly because of the strong fluo

That's is why I personally went with "no fluo" and "VS1" clarity for my purchase. At the carat weight I was shopping, no fluo/VS1 clarity did not come at high premium. But in your case, it is completely different.

Some shoppers are risk takers and value hunters, while others don't like any uncertainty and go for in-house branded cuts that pass more rigorous inspection from premier vendors that Gyspy listed.

Here is GOG's opinion on twinning wisp on SI1 clarity. I hope this helps you with making the final decision.
http://www.goodoldgold.com/gallery-of-inclusions

MandyPandy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies Queenie and flyingpig!

As much as I would love to purchase this right now, I am far too risk averse to do it. The ASET and IS got me really excited, but the stone seems way too risky and I do not know enough of what to look for. I wish I lived in the US so I could at least order it, take a look and get an independent third party's opinion.

I will contact IDJ once they are back and get them to take a look. I love finding a deal so I hope they have something good to say! Hopefully the diamond is still around and fingers crossed this one is a keeper 8)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results