shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this stone too tall for a ring?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hi friends =)2

I have a gorgeous cushion cut blue green tourmaline I picked up from another PSer. This stone is large and in charge - any thoughts on how to best set this other than what I have so far? We have it set as low as it can go and I was thinking I need to protect the stone since it will sit up high (to me anyway). Thoughts?
IMG_8833.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8802.jpeg
    IMG_8802.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DK 95366-QUAD-5.jpeg
    DK 95366-QUAD-5.jpeg
    557.8 KB · Views: 71

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know about the setting height since I don't have anything that tall personally, but that stone is just gorgeous!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I don't know about the setting height since I don't have anything that tall personally, but that stone is just gorgeous!

Thank you :kiss2: I don’t have anything this height either but the stone was too pretty to pass up!

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
That is such a pretty tourmaline! I don't think ~9mm is too high for a ring, and think the design you are working on is pretty- lets the size & color speak for itself.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
That is such a pretty tourmaline! I don't think ~9mm is too high for a ring, and think the design you are working on is pretty- lets the size & color speak for itself.

Thank you! I have a hard time judging how tall a setting will actually be until I have the mold in-hand. I know once on, the ring also sinks down into the skin a bit so you’re probably right. It is higher than any previous setting I’ve had made so I’m sure that adds to my concern. I do want to really showcase the stone and not detract with the setting. I’ve been going back-and-forth to bezel or not.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Here's a pic that may help- this one measures at 9.1mm height. I have to really tilt my hand for it to show over my middle knuckle.

What a gorgeous side view! Do you know the height of your ring next to it? When I see it on your hand it actually looks like a very nice height. For some reason I pictured it kind of looking over my finger.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
9mm is tall but a lot of that height is steep crown, not pavilion (if the CAD is accurate). I have made rings with 6mm pavilion and it's not too high. I would err on the side of fat prongs that wrap up a good way on the "corners" for protection -- to supplement the bezel. Not a daily driver but will be a gorgeous "cocktail ring."

EDIT: Spouse wears some fat cabs that are 10 - 12mm off the finger like this one:

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 5.49.34 PM.png

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
9mm is tall but a lot of that height is steep crown, not pavilion (if the CAD is accurate). I have made rings with 6mm pavilion and it's not too high. I would err on the side of fat prongs that wrap up a good way on the "corners" for protection -- to supplement the bezel. Not a daily driver but will be a gorgeous "cocktail ring."

EDIT: Spouse wears some fat cabs that are 10 - 12mm off the finger like this one:

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 5.49.34 PM.png

Thank you for the perspective! So that I understand you correctly - you’re saying in addition to the bezel, have the prongs start from outside and at the base of the basket to wrap around the bezel? Do you think bezel is too thick? And yes the CAD is correct.

That ring is lovely! I would have never guessed that it sat high off the finger.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
For some reason this ring that was posted by Singlestone the other day just popped into my head. In case you need some other ideas for inspiration. :D
Screenshot_20230930_191619_Instagram~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230930_191624_Instagram.jpg

This ring is gorgeous! It’s actually similar to another project of mine with a step cut mint green tourmaline :)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That ring is lovely! I would have never guessed that it sat high off the finger.

I underestimated since I cropped the photo. The scale is 1/32" so this is probably more like 15mm off the finger if you follow the "angle" of the marks in the rule. It's a big stone -- I think 18 ct -- but it's not gemmy and it was not spendy (by PS standards).

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 7.49.36 PM.png

And about bezel + prongs -- that seems to be what is shown in your CAD. Since I can not see the girdle, I can't tell if it's a true bezel or a basket right under the girdle. But you have so much face-up size and it's not a light-colored stone so I think you can afford some strategically protective prong intrusion even if it is not strictly needed to secure the stone.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@jaqjaqjaq forgive me!!! I have had so much dental work done, was sick, and had a family emergency. I would never ignore you or your beautiful jewels!!!

This gem is gorgeous!!!! That color, the size. I love the bezel and I also think it's wise. I like that you are having the stone be the focus. It's a very classy setting! I don't know if you are like me, but I love milgrain. What about adding some milgrain to the bezel? I don't think the bezel is too big.

I had a green beryl OEC that I adored!! It just sat up too high for me. I don't go out a lot and knew I would wear it rarely so I ended up selling it. I wish I had set it into a pendant. It was so beautiful, sad I let it go.

If at any point you feel it's higher than what you are comfortable with as a ring, I hope you will consider a pendant or something else.

I'm excited to see it! David will do a fabulous job!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I underestimated since I cropped the photo. The scale is 1/32" so this is probably more like 15mm off the finger if you follow the "angle" of the marks in the rule. It's a big stone -- I think 18 ct -- but it's not gemmy and it was not spendy (by PS standards).

Screen Shot 2023-09-30 at 7.49.36 PM.png

And about bezel + prongs -- that seems to be what is shown in your CAD. Since I can not see the girdle, I can't tell if it's a true bezel or a basket right under the girdle. But you have so much face-up size and it's not a light-colored stone so I think you can afford some strategically protective prong intrusion even if it is not strictly needed to secure the stone.

What kind of stone is it? On my phone it looks like it has blue, pink, and purple in it? Is that right? Pricey or not, it reminds me of a pink galaxy :)

On the CAD the basket is under the girdle. Based on some of my inspiration pictures, I think the prongs are coming out of the top of the bezel. The cast is being sent to me so I should be able to get a better visual soon.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basket under the girdle makes sense so prongs needed (as you of course know) -- I just meant to make them a little on the broader and taller side vs. mm-wide tiny talons.

Stone is a purple star sapphire -- kind of a translucent gumdrop thing and not super-glowy but fun to look at. It's "put away" now -- not very practical during the pandemic or retirement -- but she used to wear it to work fairly often.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
@jaqjaqjaq forgive me!!! I have had so much dental work done, was sick, and had a family emergency. I would never ignore you or your beautiful jewels!!!

This gem is gorgeous!!!! That color, the size. I love the bezel and I also think it's wise. I like that you are having the stone be the focus. It's a very classy setting! I don't know if you are like me, but I love milgrain. What about adding some milgrain to the bezel? I don't think the bezel is too big.

I had a green beryl OEC that I adored!! It just sat up too high for me. I don't go out a lot and knew I would wear it rarely so I ended up selling it. I wish I had set it into a pendant. It was so beautiful, sad I let it go.

If at any point you feel it's higher than what you are comfortable with as a ring, I hope you will consider a pendant or something else.

I'm excited to see it! David will do a fabulous job!

Oh my goodness! You have a lot on your plate right now!!! I hope you’re feeling better and your family is ok!!! I was wondering if something was going on - I really do hope everything is better now.

I wish I could do that stone justice but I couldn’t capture the chunky flashes of blue and green. It is mesmerizing and I didn’t even want to send it off to DK because I wanted to keep staring at it LOL! I’ve gone back-and-forth about adding details to it or leaving it simple. I want to really let the stone be the main focus but then my heart also says maybe add some engraving? I think once I have the cast it should inspire me one way or another.

Awww I wished I could have seen your stone! If the cast comes in and it’s too high, I am absolutely open to a pendant. I don’t want to ever let go of this stone - always wanted something cut by JW and I LOVE this color!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Basket under the girdle makes sense so prongs needed (as you of course know) -- I just meant to make them a little on the broader and taller side vs. mm-wide tiny talons.

Stone is a purple star sapphire -- kind of a translucent gumdrop thing and not super-glowy but fun to look at. It's "put away" now -- not very practical during the pandemic or retirement -- but she used to wear it to work fairly often.

Ok, yes! I agree with the prongs and I think it will make more sense aesthetically as well.

I love your description - translucent gum drop! The structure is phenomenal and I could see how it was a strong statement piece :)

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Pretty stone. Looks like that cad is from David, correct? Was just going to say that if he had concerns of this being too deep a stone for a ring I think he would tell you. I was discussing stud earrings with him for a pair of stones that Jeff cut and David was quick to ask for the depth stating that if they were too deep studs may not be the best plan and might need to consider drops.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
@icy_jade had lots of sizable gems in rings. @Module giant tourmaline in a ring. It’s definitely doable!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not believe it is too tall for a ring myself, however, I have a few pearl rings that are taller!

The only issue I may have is that I may find the gallery being too plain. This had happened to me before with a 8.88mm natural blue Topaz, and I am going to have it reset to add some details in the gallery.

Gorgeous stone BTW. thanks for sharing! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

DK :))

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I do not believe it is too tall for a ring myself, however, I have a few pearl rings that are taller!

The only issue I may have is that I may find the gallery being too plain. This had happened to me before with a 8.88mm natural blue Topaz, and I am going to have it reset to add some details in the gallery.

Gorgeous stone BTW. thanks for sharing! :kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Haha well ok, it would appear I’ve been a bit conservative on the ring height side of things ;-)

The gallery is always my problem with any build. In my head I love gallery detail but on me, I usually don’t. With this stone I wanted all eyes to be on the stone but I am always open to suggestions!

Thank you so much! This stone is my favorite I’ve ever had the good fortune of owning :kiss2:

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
@jaqjaqjaq here are some photos of my ring with my largest stone. I’m guessing it is too ornate for your taste, but perhaps you might like one component of the setting.

Attachments

• IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 33

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
@jaqjaqjaq here are some photos of my ring with my largest stone. I’m guessing it is too ornate for your taste, but perhaps you might like one component of the setting.

Please don’t be upset but this ring is soooo pretty! I love the stone and you’re right it would have been perfectly suited for a pendant!

The other tourmaline with David is more ornate, not my usual taste but @Mreader inspired me with her step cut tourmaline! So I’m thinking that will be my ornate piece and this ring I might keep very simple?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha well ok, it would appear I’ve been a bit conservative on the ring height side of things ;-)

The gallery is always my problem with any build. In my head I love gallery detail but on me, I usually don’t. With this stone I wanted all eyes to be on the stone but I am always open to suggestions!

Thank you so much! This stone is my favorite I’ve ever had the good fortune of owning :kiss2:

Can't wait to see the finished ring!

I have just finished paying for my large blue green Tourmaline with Jeff W, and it may be too big as a ring even for me.

So it may end up being a brooch-pendant.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Can't wait to see the finished ring!

I have just finished paying for my large blue green Tourmaline with Jeff W, and it may be too big as a ring even for me.

So it may end up being a brooch-pendant.

Now this I have got to see!!! Can share any details about your stone? I can understand if you’ll want to keep it a surprise still too ;-)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this I have got to see!!! Can share any details about your stone? I can understand if you’ll want to keep it a surprise still too ;-)

No problem, it is the big one he picked up from Tucson in 2022 in the bottom right hand corner of this pic:

273620473_5301539283194356_9195106362882964013_n.jpg

blue-green-tourmaline-jpg.907674

blue-green-tourmaline-2-jpg.907673

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results