shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this ring pretty or tacky?

Jenna6686

Rough_Rock
This is my first post here, and I worry I'll get slammed for this, but my fiance and I just bought a house, I have six figures of student loan debt, and we both have a fair amount of credit card debt. So we're looking for ways to save on the engagement ring. This ring is actually a bunch of small stones put together to look like a bigger one. I didn't even realize it at first and I can only tell when I look very closely to see the extra prongs. It's 14K white gold and only 0.5 cts total, but looks like much more. It's $1599 all together and I worry I have low-price goggles on. Is this too tacky of a concept? Will I regret it down the road? :confused:

_18447.jpg

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Honestly, I'm not a fan of cluster rings.

Would you consider preloved? That would be a good way to get something for a lower price tag.

Also, Would you ever consider an ering upgrade when your finances are a bit different? If so, I would consider going with a vendor that has son upgrade policy.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Jenna6686|1400706904|3677696 said:
This is my first post here, and I worry I'll get slammed for this, but my fiance and I just bought a house, I have six figures of student loan debt, and we both have a fair amount of credit card debt. So we're looking for ways to save on the engagement ring. This ring is actually a bunch of small stones put together to look like a bigger one. I didn't even realize it at first and I can only tell when I look very closely to see the extra prongs. It's 14K white gold and only 0.5 cts total, but looks like much more. It's $1599 all together and I worry I have low-price goggles on. Is this too tacky of a concept? Will I regret it down the road? :confused:

I understand your dilemma!

Very smart not to over-extend to buy the ring, as some people do (buying on credit, etc.).

For only a couple hundred bucks more, you can have the killer ring below, which you can feel proud of. There is no 'compromise' here, as you might feel down the road, with some other less-expensive options. THIS IS AN AWESOME RING!

Vintage Deco Style Old Mine Engagement Ring - 18k white gold
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=store-product-detail&id=214

Jenna6686

Rough_Rock
I would be interested in a used ring but I don't know where to find them. Any recs?

OECsareforLovers

Shiny_Rock
Rocky just suggested an old cut. You can also check out the Preloved board (under Pricescope cafe).

Any chance you are in NYC? Antiqueengagementrings.com has a lot in your price range.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1600 is a fair price for an engagement ring. I do think those cluster rings are overpriced.

Does she need all that bling or would she consider a solitaire?

What's her ring size?

Would she consider yellow gold?

I'll come back with suggestions, but I need to know that first lol.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RockyRacoon|1400708373|3677717 said:

I understand your dilemma!

Very smart not to over-extend to buy the ring, as some people do (buying on credit, etc.).

For only a couple hundred bucks more, you can have the killer ring below, which you can feel proud of. There is no 'compromise' here, as you might feel down the road, with some other less-expensive options. THIS IS AN AWESOME RING!

Vintage Deco Style Old Mine Engagement Ring - 18k white gold
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=store-product-detail&id=214

Rocky, you come up with some brilliant suggestions, what a gorgeous ring!

Hi Jenna and welcome!

Please don't worry, no one here is going to judge you for your financial situation, we have a friendly forum and our intention is to try to help. Personally, I am not keen on cluster rings but I would say to definitely consider a consignment ring from a highly reputable and trusted vendor such as Wink at HPD, if you like the look of the one Rocky posted. That way you won't be overextending yourself with the ring's cost and you will end up with something beautiful and worthy of this very special occasion.

I would say though with 'price goggles,' it can be tempting to perhaps leap at something that seems like a good deal in the excitement of the proposal, but I would urge a little caution, you have a team of friendly and skilled Pricescopers eager to go on the hunt for you as you may realize from Rocky's suggestion. Take advantage of that! If you let us know what you like and dislike, then we can go to work on your behalf! :wavey:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Having not heard your answers yet here is my preliminary suggestion.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.48-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-310679

Its a d, looks eye clean, isn't very deep so will look a good size. Marquise look bigger naturally. And has a nice sparkle and seems to have a minimal bowtie.

This setting would add more bling amd take the stone look larger. They don't have a marquise one but the pear cost 750, the oval 725, so a mq should cost somewhere between there

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-white-gold-pave-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-pear-center-item-17461

That would equal 1640. But of you ask for a Pricescope that should reduce the price of the stone a little. And if you pay by wore transfer they knock off 1.5 % of the entire order.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am also not a fan of cluster rings and if you're only leaning towards it because it makes the ring look larger, I'd pass. If you love it for it's style, then that's another story.

Here's a nice 1/2 carat old European cut solitaire for $1500. AND...here's the cool part. It's GIA certed as I/VS2. You'd have to ask for the cert. #...

http://www.rubylane.com/item/805115-RL801/Platinum-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-1

This one is a tad over budget at $1850, but you could always see if they'd accept less. It's for an uncerted 3/4 ct. stone

http://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-980-110225/Romantic-European-Cut-Diamond-Solitaire

There are quite a few options on Ruby Lane within your budget. Take a look, see what appeals to you and then post them here. People will be happy to check them out for you! ;-)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1400712853|3677765 said:
I am also not a fan of cluster rings and if you're only leaning towards it because it makes the ring look larger, I'd pass. If you love it for it's style, then that's another story.

Here's a nice 1/2 carat old European cut solitaire for $1500. AND...here's the cool part. It's GIA certed as I/VS2. You'd have to ask for the cert. #...

http://www.rubylane.com/item/805115-RL801/Platinum-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-1

This one is a tad over budget at $1850, but you could always see if they'd accept less. It's for an uncerted 3/4 ct. stone

http://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-980-110225/Romantic-European-Cut-Diamond-Solitaire

There are quite a few options on Ruby Lane within your budget. Take a look, see what appeals to you and then post them here. People will be happy to check them out for you! ;-)

They are amazing. I've found legitimate beautiful diamond ring on there for like 400.

And they are often amicable towards offers.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my favorite ones that I would be very "budget friendly"

http://www.rubylane.com/item/501985-013ringx2018kx20wgx20artx20deco/18k-White-Gold-Art-Deco
^ I really love this one. I'd offer a little less as like I said they usually are open to offers, I'd pay to have the millgraining on the top fixed up, get it looking like new (I tink David klass would do that) and save the rest for a blingly millgrained w band (blue Nile sells a nice one for about 500)
http://www.rubylane.com/item/501985-012ringx2018kx20Artx20Decox20diamond/Art-Deco-18k-White-Gold
^ this is such a nice price and that stone looks lovely. You could afford to get a FEW wedding bands to bling it up.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Don't get a cluster ring, buy pre-loved instead. Lots of good recommendations so far. Best of luck on your search:)

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jenna I can tell you are not thrilled with it- go with your gut. All the above recs are really spot on. It is your ER and Pricescope posters input will steer you in the right direction.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If I were in your position, I would get a plain platinum band (2-mm width) for $200-300, and use the savings to pay off some debts. In a few years when your financial situation improves a bit, get a solitaire diamond ring (bigger diamond of course). The 2-mm band can be worn together as a stacking band or a spacer band for a diamond eternity ring. Nothing will go to waste. No regrets down the road.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome Jenna! Well I'll be the voice of dissent. I love cluster rings; I think they're affordable and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

James Allen has a really nice line of these rings, and they use very white and nicely cut diamonds.

http://www.jamesallen.com/preset-engagement-rings/royal-halo/

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i agree with the others -i'm not a fan of cluster rings either. Lots of good 2nd hand options or just wear a plain band until you can upgrade!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FancyDiamond|1400724405|3677889 said:
If I were in your position, I would get a plain platinum band (2-mm width) for $200-300, and use the savings to pay off some debts. In a few years when your financial situation improves a bit, get a solitaire diamond ring (bigger diamond of course). The 2-mm band can be worn together as a stacking band or a spacer band for a diamond eternity ring. Nothing will go to waste. No regrets down the road.

Second this idea! You can use the band as your wedding band, and save up a little more and at your 2-3 year anniversary, get a solitaire. However, if you decide to go for a diamond, just get one from a vendor with a really good upgrade policy. You both won't be in school forever, and I'm certain you will want to upgrade in the future.

And it's not really a matter of it being tacky or not. It's just not the best investment in your e-ring, if you're looking down the road 1-5 years. It sounds like you would like a solitaire in the future at some time, so why not invest in that now and getting a smaller stone from a vendor that has a great upgrade program. (GOG and WF - spend more than previously) JA and BN - double your original cost. BGD - more specific restrictions. Read their policy.

snowmom

Rough_Rock
Looks very pretty on you. 1500 + is a lot of money if you are unsure about it. The advice of getting a solitaire and trading up in the future or resetting it to a three stone may be a better investment. Buying second hand is also a good way to go.
I saw a pre owned Natalie K 3 stone ring for less than half price of the ring you are looking at. I believe that her settings are good quality and the pictures look great. It could be an option and if you decide to go for a larger engagement ring in the future this could be a right hand ring. Here is the link if interested.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natalie-K-3-stone-style-diamond-anniversary-ring-/111338635340?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item19ec4cc04c

__kgrhqzhjcofjkmies_pbs_veeqrfg__60_57_1_.jpg

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When my husband asked me to marry him, we both worked in restaurants and didn't have two dimes to rub together. I wore a simple family diamond ring with a plain white gold band for years after the wedding. I now have a nicer, but still modest ring, and a terrific marriage. You've gotten excellent advice from many PS'ers, and they're right- get a used ring or a simple but classic new ring, and enjoy your married life together. You can get something fancier later on, but don't buy anything now that you'll lose sleep over. Best wishes.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
I want to chime in on cluster rings.

I see that everyone is referring to a ring that is made up of much smaller diamonds, to look like a bigger one. I agree that I'm not a fan of that style.

But there are antique clusters that look more like contemporary halos. I purchased one off ebay for my engagement ring - and for under 600 dollars. It's from the 20s and very pretty. It also has good finger coverage.

It looks a bit like this, but with a diamond center and an airline:

http://www.trocadero.com/stores/hensteeth/items/705228/item705228.html

There are a lot of amazing antique rings around if you take your time to look. I've seen people here find amazing things for someone with a 400 dollar budget.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am also not a huge fan of these style of rings but here is another one that is cheaper and will give better finger coverage and I think nicer looking than the one above;

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/estate-and-modern/art-deco-inspired-princess-cut-diamond-halo-ring.html#.U310n-0Vq5Q

An alternative suggestion might be to purchase a really pretty diamond band and wear that on it's own instead until you can pay off some of your debt and then once that is done celebrate a special occasion, the birth of a child etc with a new ring to go with the band, lots of people do that as an alternative. A coloured stone ring might also be another more affordable option. I also agree with the others some vintage cluster rings are beautiful and usually very affordable.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pretty and tacky are in the eye of the beholder ... not in the ring.

allysssa

Rough_Rock
I also meant to add that I found there was a clear demarcation between rings around 1k or under and rings over 3k. With a lot of hunting I could find rings under 1k that I liked that were similar to rings that were up to 2k. But to get what I really dreamed of, I'd have to go over 3k. I haven't done that yet and went with the least expensive version of what I want that I could find, which also turned out to be a good bargain, to save up for the upgrade.

Cricketcat

Shiny_Rock
I would consider a top cut ACA diamond (even around 1/3 carat), with a simple gold or platinum solitaire setting. I've found that top ideal cut diamonds usually look a little bigger than their actual carat weight. Plus, Whiteflash has a great upgrade policy.

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know if you've thought about a fancy-colored diamond option, but Leibish is running a special right now, which makes these worth checking these out (if you decide to expand your budget a bit):

Fancy Intense Yellow Cushion Diamond Halo Ring (0.73Ct TW)
http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-diamond-halo-ring-24830

Fancy Yellow Radiant Diamond Halo Ring
(0.64Ct TW)
http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/fancy-yellow-radiant-diamond-halo-ring-12178

Fancy Yellow Cushion Diamond Ring
(1.35Ct TW)
http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/fancy-yellow-4147

Fancy Intense Yellow Marquise and Taper Diamond Accent Ring (0.44Ct TW)
http://www.leibish.com/rings-jewelry/fancy-intense-yellow-marquise-and-taper-diamond-accent-ring-10420

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results