carat
color
clarity

Is this ring pretty or tacky?

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1400726744|3677911 said:
if you decide to go for a diamond, just get one from a vendor with a really good upgrade policy. You both won't be in school forever, and I'm certain you will want to upgrade in the future.
Just a reminder that not everyone considers their e-ring or wedding band as something to be replaced when financial circumstances change for the better.
(I don't know anyone personally who has done so; even my wealthiest friend, who now has a collection of TDF jewelry, has never worn anything on her left-hand, ring finger other than the sweetly modest, solitaire e-ring that her husband gave her back when they were in grad school & her original wedding band. Some might think it incongruous for her to wear those while appreciably larger diamonds or colored gems adorn her right hand and/or her ears, but she & her husband are as committed to those first rings signifying their relationship as they are to their marriage. In fact, I'd say they actually get a kick out of the juxtaposition.)

Jenna, you (and your husband-to-be) may or may not be one of those people who regard your e-ring as a forever ring. Regardless of that, the fact that you're asking whether this cluster ring is tacky suggests that you are not confident it would be a good choice, even for just right now. So give it a pass in favor of something that gives you greater peace of mind.

And as others have indicated, it's entirely possible to be engaged without an e-ring; there's no law that says you can't get married without one :))

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the things that I love about Pricescope is that we welcome all comers. You have received many good and helpful tips. I sincerely hope that you are more comfortable now than you were when you first asked your question!!

In the end, it will be your choice which one to listen to and which ring grabs your eyes and makes the both of you happy. We will be all waiting to see what you end up with, even if it is your original choice.

Wink

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
when my husby and I got engaged, he gave me a beautiful emerald ring (my birthstone) in a halo. To this day ( and two diamond rings later!) i wear it on my left hand. It was well under 1500 and I love it, and can't wait to pass it on to my children. Just wanted to throw this out there as it's another option, in addition to all the wonderful contributions from others in this thread.

Butttt...if you like cushions (specifically an almost hybrid of cushion/emerald):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18K-White-Gold-Henri-Daussi-Cushion-Cut-Halo-88ct-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/380890298669?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item58aed4b92d

And it is totally returnable, so if you hate it just send it back.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has turned into a brilliant thread Pricescopers, full of excellent suggestions and useful points of view, great job all! :appl: :appl:

Keep them coming!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think there's anything wrong with cluster rings but I think how they are done is important. Clusters were common in the Deco period and I've seen some which were done exceedingly well. The modern clusters with the invisible set diamonds I'm not a fan of though.

A great vintage cluster! www.etsy.com/uk/listing/189257078
Pretty but very different cluster, www.jewelsbygrace.com/rings/vintage-and-antique/1-40tcw-antique-princess-style-cluster-ring.html
Another pretty antique cluster, with sapphires! www.etsy.com/uk/listing/179146971
Yellow gold cluster, www.etsy.com/uk/listing/178590755
Not old, but this is pretty one with diamond band, www.etsy.com/uk/listing/179272805
Another one with larger diamond and diamond band, www.etsy.com/uk/listing/115085720 I think it's also here, http://www.rubylane.com/item/953559-YWXZDT-P
Pretty ring with diamonds on band! www.etsy.com/uk/listing/189007990
Princess cut with diamond band, www.etsy.com/uk/listing/173666636
Solitaire here www.etsy.com/uk/listing/174186709
I think this one has already been mentioned - I love it! It's in my wish list :) http://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-980-110225

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this is just one girls opinion, and it doesn't include antique "daisy" type clusters... but

I live in an area where cluster rings are quite common. And they are just easy to spot. I know they are sold like "they look like a 1 ct" or "they look like a two ct!!" but they don't.

to me they are rings where you are just buying a setting. You can't unset a stone and change the setting, you can't upgrade to a bigger diamond. Once you're done with it you either keep it or sell it for a lot less than you paid. In that way i don't consider them to be a good investment. And because if the prior comment i don't find them a good suggestion for an e ring. People will look at it and think "whats going on there....oh, its just a bunch of little diamonds." And i don't think thats the type things you want people saying about your ring.

A small diamond if you buy it now could be upgraded, or used later as a side stone.

If you want more finger coverage. Buy a colored stone. You can buy two ct nice yellow chrysoberyl for 200-400. pop it in a gabriel and co setting or a stuller halo and get a knock out of a ring for your budget. Or you could use a spinel, both stones are lovely and budget friendly. That would leave you a lot for a blingy setting.

Yes its not a diamond, but its beautiful in its own right, and its not trying to be something its not.

just an example, heres a nice little purply red spinel for 400
http://www.torraca.net/projects/spinr870/
its 6mm which is about .8 cts if it were a diamond

set it in something like this
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER6418W44JJ

and when you have the funds swap out the stone for a 6mm diamond.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I am not a big fan of them, but many many girls/ women all over buy them, love them and flaunt them. There is a population outside the hallowed halls of PS who does not "think" like us. Here in my circle of friends of all ages there are several. One of which looks like frozen spit and she loves it! To each her own.
You OP sound like you are iffy about it. I would take the suggestions of a plain solitaire of the best quality you can afford. Cut is king. A well cut stone will have far more presence on your finger than a poorly cut one.
I too have friends who are very well off and sport honkers, one has a 3ct oval and a 4cttw three stone of impeccable quality but wears on her left hand her original .33 stone with the matching band.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1400732050|3677958 said:
if you decide to go for a diamond, just get one from a vendor with a really good upgrade policy. You both won't be in school forever, and I'm certain you will want to upgrade in the future.
Just a reminder that not everyone considers their e-ring or wedding band as something to be replaced when financial circumstances change for the better.
I think that this is the view that my other half holds - hence I feel like I need to buy the best I can the first time round as I wouldn't want her to have something that I always wished could have been better! :oops:

She will probably kill me if she found out I spent ££££ on a great stone and ring now, though... :???: :lol:

That said...
Niel|1400763105|3678086 said:
People will look at it and think "whats going on there....oh, its just a bunch of little diamonds." And i don't think thats the type things you want people saying about your ring.
... it is a fact that people will judge whatever ring (or jewellery, or clothes, or car, or house... etc etc) a person owns, simply because people are judgemental and often trying to 'keep up with the neighbours', whereas, of course, we should not be judged by the possessions we own and our personal taste/circumstances really are nothing to do with anyone else!

We really should not pander to this judgementalism (is that a word? lol) by stretching ourselves beyond our comfortable financial limits in an attempt to buy the biggest/best, but it is hard not to want to provide the best we can for our partners/ourselves because we feel they/we deserve it!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now this is just one girls opinion, and it doesn't include antique "daisy" type clusters... but

I live in an area where cluster rings are quite common. And they are just easy to spot. I know they are sold like "they look like a 1 ct" or "they look like a two ct!!" but they don't.

to me they are rings where you are just buying a setting. You can't unset a stone and change the setting, you can't upgrade to a bigger diamond. Once you're done with it you either keep it or sell it for a lot less than you paid. In that way i don't consider them to be a good investment. And because if the prior comment i don't find them a good suggestion for an e ring. People will look at it and think "whats going on there....oh, its just a bunch of little diamonds." And i don't think thats the type things you want people saying about your ring.

I agree it's just like buying a setting, but it's still a money saver, because you *only* have to buy the "setting" and then you're done and you have a completed ring. My friend got her cluster halo for $1200. Just finding a halo setting for $1200 by itself would be difficult, and you'd still have to spend a bunch more for a diamond.

Regardless, some people don't want to start out with a small solitaire. I have somewhat large fingers and a 0.30 carat solitaire would look horrible on me. I would rather have a blingy 5 stone band. But if you have small fingers, it's a good choice, esp if you can upgrade later.

flash_and_fire

Rough_Rock
Tons of great advice here, this thread is interesting just on its own. OP, if you're not sure what to do, who says you have to commit to anything yet. Like a previous poster said, you don't have to get the ring yet. How about getting several CZ rings of different styles and different cut center stones and wear them for a period of time on one of your ring fingers? Maybe a test run of different settings and cuts would help you decide. If it's finger coverage, some stones face up larger like emeralds, ovals, and marquise. Combine a 1/4 or 1/3 ct of any stone w/a halo, you've got some good coverage. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and your fiancé!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1400770517|3678135 said:
I think that this is the view that my other half holds - hence I feel like I need to buy the best I can the first time round as I wouldn't want her to have something that I always wished could have been better! :oops:

She will probably kill me if she found out I spent ££££ on a great stone and ring now, though... :???: :lol:

That said...
People will look at it and think "whats going on there....oh, its just a bunch of little diamonds." And i don't think thats the type things you want people saying about your ring.
... it is a fact that people will judge whatever ring (or jewellery, or clothes, or car, or house... etc etc) a person owns, simply because people are judgemental and often trying to 'keep up with the neighbours', whereas, of course, we should not be judged by the possessions we own and our personal taste/circumstances really are nothing to do with anyone else!

We really should not pander to this judgementalism (is that a word? lol) by stretching ourselves beyond our comfortable financial limits in an attempt to buy the biggest/best, but it is hard not to want to provide the best we can for our partners/ourselves because we feel they/we deserve it!

Well, I'm just responding to the comment about upgrading. Yes, you're right. Not everyone wants to upgrade. And if you/your fiancé never get bit by the bug, or never want to upgrade, great!!! You save tons of money. I put it out there b/c I never thought I would and eventually did, and would have LOVED to have the option to do so and save money. I wish someone told me when I was buying my ring 17 years ago, and not closed myself off to knowing that I would NOT know how I would feel in the future and to allow myself that option. At the very least, know all your options and make an informed decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What a wonderful thread this has become and it shows how PS people can pull together to help, it also shows that while we all love bling and will not judge those that cannot or do not want to spend a fortune on a jewel at the moment. What great options have been posted! Some really lovely rings at very good prices. I have to say my favorite piece is the ring offered by Highperformancediamonds, unusual with an antique feel, a much more expensive and luxurious look, very unique and a stunner. I also love several options that Rhea posted, some gorgeous vintage rings in the bunch there.

I am personally not a big fan of clusters either but this is so subjective. I did make a cluster engagement ring for a customer once but with a larger center stone. I would still recommend either a halo vintage design, a three stone, or a solitaire for an engagement ring.

Where has OP gone? Perhaps she did not expect this volume of responses. Hope she returns and lets us know what she thinks, there definitely are much better options posted here whether or not she later wants to upgrade. Some do, some do not. You cannot know this ahead of time either. At one point I thought I would never want to upgrade my diamond ring, now I think I definitely do.

Now, it is not necessary to have an engagement ring to get married, I still feel there is a certain sentimentalism to it, romance, call it whatever, I still think it is nice to have one even if not an expensive one.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I belong to the "Loving cluster rings" camp :bigsmile: I've always loved and in my advancing *ahem* age, I am adoring them more and more.

Like the other posters said - its not a question or being tacky - it really is a personal preference. Done right, cluster rings give you great sparkle factor and finger coverage yet when purposely manufactured to make it it seem like a 3-4ct rock, then it borders on the iffy for me. But I still would not call it tacky :bigsmile:

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Jenna6686|1400706904|3677696 said:
This is my first post here, and I worry I'll get slammed for this, but my fiance and I just bought a house, I have six figures of student loan debt, and we both have a fair amount of credit card debt. So we're looking for ways to save on the engagement ring. This ring is actually a bunch of small stones put together to look like a bigger one. I didn't even realize it at first and I can only tell when I look very closely to see the extra prongs. It's 14K white gold and only 0.5 cts total, but looks like much more. It's $1599 all together and I worry I have low-price goggles on. Is this too tacky of a concept? Will I regret it down the road? :confused:
personally not a fan......I'd rather have one small stone and not a cluster

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I think a cluster ring could work.

I have two that are vintage cluster rings. Unfortunately, I don't have pics and I don't have the rings with me. But both have a plain knife edge shank, and a larger squarish top with diamonds. One looks kind of like https://www.etsy.com/listing/170567866/vintage-engagement-ring-diamond-ring?ref=market

The other uses a round cluster top kind of like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/151391523/037ctw-diamondsi1g-vintage-cluster-ring?ref=market,, except it's expertly set (the whole top is) into a big fishtail head with triangle prongs at the corner. It looks convincing.

At a glance, both of those appear to be about a 1.75-2ct diamond. Both work well with a wedding band, either a plain one or an eternity band. I used to occasionally wear one of them with a wedding band, actually, when I wanted to switch from YG to WG. I think they look great as an e-ring, and they work because they are square-ish and not round. https://www.etsy.com/listing/173717582/engagement-ring-vintage-diamond-ring?ref=market

I think probably women wore those as part of a wedding set. They look like fishtail diamond engagement rings of the day. One of mine has about a .33 ct diamond in the center, surrounded by single cuts. The other one has a grouping of diamonds that are all the same size.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1400774999|3678192 said:
OoohShiny|1400770517|3678135 said:

That said...

Well, I'm just responding to the comment about upgrading. Yes, you're right. Not everyone wants to upgrade. And if you/your fiancé never get bit by the bug, or never want to upgrade, great!!! You save tons of money. I put it out there b/c I never thought I would and eventually did, and would have LOVED to have the option to do so and save money. I wish someone told me when I was buying my ring 17 years ago, and not closed myself off to knowing that I would NOT know how I would feel in the future and to allow myself that option. At the very least, know all your options and make an informed decision. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Of course! Please accept my apologies if my post came across as righteously preachy or somehow negative, it was more an attempt at a neutral statement of an viewpoint that IMHO (and personal tendencies :???: lol) can get overlooked!! :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, what do think about some of the more "vintage" style clusters with diamonds AND colored stones?? These will give more finger coverage, won't go out of style, will save you money, and can easily be transferred to the right hand if you wanted to upgrade in the future.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some examples...

These are just some ideas, but you could get have a really colored stone ring in your budget.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400806023.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400806045.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400806424.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1400806433.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I am not a fan of cluster rings either. I would get a five stone diamond band and be done with it. There are tons of five stone diamond bands on ebay and well within your budget. Lots of bling for not a lot of buck.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-14kt-Yellow-White-Gold-1ct-Diamond-Cluster-Flower-Band-Ring-/290909575800?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item43bb8fda78
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STUNNING-18ct-YELLOW-WHITE-GOLD-CLUSTER-RING-9-GENUINE-DIAMONDS-Value-3000-/291150465420?pt=AU_FineJewellery&hash=item43c9eb898c

I can't find a good example of one with a square shape head. You could go look at the used jewelry shops and see what's there. I think I paid $400 or so for the larger cluster ring that has the fishtail style head. It's probably close to 1ct total weight. I don't see anything wrong with a cluster ring as an e-ring. Just consider the size of the stones and the construction of the ring, because you need durability for a ring that's worn every day. Some of the cluster rings are intended more for special-occasion wear, and I am including some of the antique and vintage rings in that.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
If you're questioning a cluster ring now,you might regret it soon after the fact. There are some fantastic suggestions being given here, and they are pretty much in your price range. Explore all options before you commit. I too am not a fan of cluster rings.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The options msop04 suggested above are also beautiful. Where is OP? Hopefully she is reading them and did not run away, people on this thread are offering great help.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1400806440|3678501 said:
Here are some examples...
These are just some ideas, but you could get have a really colored stone ring in your budget.

I like these types of cluster rings; they look elegant and the workmanship looks good too.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I do too but these rings are not your typical cluster to me and I do think Art Deco is a totally different story, these rings are quite unique and beautiful.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think you are a forward thinking person. A house already? Great! School loans, not so great!. But, you seem to have things in hand.
I think it would be classy if you found a diamond wedding band, as the above post suggests. Look on the preloved board, loupe troup and diamond bistro. I have seen some beauties. An engagement ring can come later, if you want.

Good Luck,.
Annette

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think you are a forward thinking person. A house already? Great! School loans, not so great!. But, you seem to have things in hand.
I think it would be classy if you found a diamond wedding band, as the above post suggests. Look on the preloved board, loupe troup and diamond bistro. I have seen some beauties. An engagement ring can come later, if you want.

Good Luck,.
Annette

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Niel that Art Deco ring is gorgeous, for deco lovers it is one of the nicest of this style I have seen. The marquise is good looking but I would hesitate on that one; it is described as particularly long and narrow which is exactly one thing that worries me in marquise as they are more prone to damage and often not cut so well. The stone is already chipped but add to the fact that it is an I1-I2 in a marquise I would find this especially worriesome as that can definitely affect the integrity of the stone. It may not be an option to recut the stone for that reason; it may shatter when taken out of the setting and since it was appraised quite low I am wondering how bad the chip is already. A bit of wear on Deco rings and minor chips there are fine but this is a newer ring and a shape where we have to be especially careful. Because OP of course would like to have this stone for a long time (well, possibly) and who would like a possible unwearable diamond in a short time, I am not sure if the second one would be a good option. Great find on the first one though! What a nice thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results