shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this practical for everyday wear?

Syilop

Rough_Rock
https://www.kataoka-jewelry.com/en/categories/en-necklaces/dualis-diamond-necklace/

So I’ve been doing my research for the past few days, calculating and comparing the value between different necklaces. I’ve decided on this necklace, as I still love and want a Kataoka piece, but don’t want to spend too much money.

Is the carat size too small? (.15 total carat for the diamonds) Will this necklace just stick to my skin instead of staying centered? What do you think about me wearing this everyday?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Are you a petite person? I am not. I think if you are very petite and quite thin, it could work. On me, you wouldn't see it. Or, if you want something super delicate and are okay with it not having a lot of presence, then sure.

I do think it will stick to your skin though. Rose cuts are very hard to keep clean even in a traditional setting. The bottom drop will probably catch a lot of sweat and general grime. True, but gross.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
Are you a petite person? I am not. I think if you are very petite and quite thin, it could work. On me, you wouldn't see it. Or, if you want something super delicate and are okay with it not having a lot of presence, then sure.

I do think it will stick to your skin though. Rose cuts are very hard to keep clean even in a traditional setting. The bottom drop will probably catch a lot of sweat and general grime. True, but gross.

Ditto.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me, as one would have a hard time trying to find my collar bones let alone the well under the chin!

DK :lol-2:

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I think it can be daily wear if you care for it. I also think it will be so lightweight that it will move with the chain, possibly being off center a lot.

Forgive me for addressing what you did not ask...I think it is very overpriced for pierced diamonds. Unless the brand is something you want in particular I am quite sure you can find more for less. Or at least more for that same price.

cvalier26

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the other posts. I also think it will stick to your skin, if you find something in the diamond by the yard style it does not stick. That being said, if you love it, try it, surely they have a return policy so try it on a couple of days :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s beautiful but very petite.
I think being very tiny and being a rose cut the main diamond won’t be able to catch much light and sparkle.
If you are yourself a wee slip of a lass with a slim neck it could look lovely but for someone like me, heck, with my fat neck I’ve got freckles bigger!
It will definitely stick to your skin and being rose cut it will be “see through” to your skin underneath.
Can you try one on and see if it suits before you buy? Or otherwise can you return it if it doesn’t thrill you after receiving it?

Syilop

Rough_Rock
It’s beautiful but very petite.
I think being very tiny and being a rose cut the main diamond won’t be able to catch much light and sparkle.
If you are yourself a wee slip of a lass with a slim neck it could look lovely but for someone like me, heck, with my fat neck I’ve got freckles bigger!
It will definitely stick to your skin and being rose cut it will be “see through” to your skin underneath.
Can you try one on and see if it suits before you buy? Or otherwise can you return it if it doesn’t thrill you after receiving it?

I don’t think Kataoka allows for exchanges or returns unfortunately. Thank you for your input!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
It sounds like Kataoka is what your heart wants even if it is "less" for the money! What you get is the joy of owning a work from a designer you love. That is what you are paying for.

I understand a desire to be budget conscious. But I think lusting after a designer piece does come with a price. I would take the plunge and really get what you want, or not. I wouldn't get a piece that I wasn't as in love with or that was impractical just because it had the brand name. Honestly, my gut says you might get more satisfaction saving for the necklace you really love or to steer away entirely.

I saw the original snowflake necklace you were after, and it is beautiful. Value for the money can only be determined by you. But frankly I find this necklace underwhelming compared to the other one because it is TINY and I imagine that model is very dainty. If you are - great!

I'd recommend seeing if you can try on Kataoka pieces before committing - I have seen third parties with more generous return policies like this one. Granted - I don't ALWAYS take my own advice and took a big risk on a major purchase just recently ( a sapphire) :mrgreen:

Another idea, buy a cheap CZ necklace that has similar proportions off of Amazon before sticking yourself with a very expensive necklace if you are wavering. I did the same thing with a bespoke wedding set - obviously I couldn't "try" on a non-refundable custom set, so before purchasing, I bought all sorts of cheapo titanium and sterling bands and rings to see if the proportions felt right. I am SO glad I did. I would have been out A LOT of money if I hadn't because I went with a more expensive designer too (not a household name, but certainly more pricey than the neighborhood jeweler)

Syilop

Rough_Rock
It sounds like Kataoka is what your heart wants even if it is "less" for the money! What you get is the joy of owning a work from a designer you love. That is what you are paying for.

I understand a desire to be budget conscious. But I think lusting after a designer piece does come with a price. I would take the plunge and really get what you want, or not. I wouldn't get a piece that I wasn't as in love with or that was impractical just because it had the brand name. Honestly, my gut says you might get more satisfaction saving for the necklace you really love or to steer away entirely.

I saw the original snowflake necklace you were after, and it is beautiful. Value for the money can only be determined by you. But frankly I find this necklace underwhelming compared to the other one because it is TINY and I imagine that model is very dainty. If you are - great!

I'd recommend seeing if you can try on Kataoka pieces before committing - I have seen third parties with more generous return policies like this one. Granted - I don't ALWAYS take my own advice and took a big risk on a major purchase just recently ( a sapphire) :mrgreen:

Another idea, buy a cheap CZ necklace that has similar proportions off of Amazon before sticking yourself with a very expensive necklace if you are wavering. I did the same thing with a bespoke wedding set - obviously I couldn't "try" on a non-refundable custom set, so before purchasing, I bought all sorts of cheapo titanium and sterling bands and rings to see if the proportions felt right. I am SO glad I did. I would have been out A LOT of money if I hadn't because I went with a more expensive designer too (not a household name, but certainly more pricey than the neighborhood jeweler)

Thank you for your tips!
As for the snowflake necklace, is the “other” necklace that you said might be better than the snowflake necklace this diamond dualis drop necklace?

Also,trying out a cheap necklace to test proportions is a good idea, except I’m currently out of state of my home.

What do you think of this necklace?

https://www.kataoka-jewelry.com/en/categories/en-necklaces/tassel-and-round-diamond-necklace/

or this one?

https://www.kataoka-jewelry.com/en/categories/en-necklaces/diamond-solitaire-necklace-petite/

You are right. I am certain that I want to buy something from Kataoka, it’s just a matter of which necklace. It seems that everyday, my mind is changing on which one to buy.

My price max is $2500. Do you have any other suggestions of a necklace from Kataoka under $2500? E229A688-E1ED-4CB1-AA06-480C87F678E8.png CF7EA1D6-929C-4241-9CCC-22398EE50AAF.png EE47A8E6-652F-474E-BA15-A8123DB6935E.png 2D933A51-1444-45E6-AA5E-19570B56D892.jpeg BD5801D4-AF6A-4D9F-BDAA-A762519EE629.jpeg A736E885-34B5-4A7B-90EC-A966C996DE73.jpeg

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Those will all have the same issue as the first. They will sit on your skin and collect grime and just not be very nice looking when they are dirty.

Perhaps this:

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, get the Kataoka that you fell in love with first. I don’t think anything else will be a good substitute.

This is a great point. What is practical for someone else matters not. Is that practical for me? No. But if you still love it, who cares?!

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
De gustibus non disputandum est,
but the pierced diamond trend is killing me: it's a sacrilege!!!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, get the Kataoka that you fell in love with first. I don’t think anything else will be a good substitute.

I feel exactly the same way. Follow your heart on this one - not your brain! If that makes sense...I’m like you and can overanalyze, thinking that will produce or help me find a better result (I don’t mean to make assumptions, but I can definitely vouch that is my usual modus operandi and your process reminds me of myself!!!)

Buying jewelry is a balance between form and function, but no matter what, it needs to be what you love. My gut says you may have fallen in love with the first piece and may have talked yourself out of it or are second guessing your instinct. None of these gorgeous and delicate necklaces are what I’d describe as totally practical anyways - so I say get what you love, clean it regularly and be careful with it!

Syilop

Rough_Rock

Honestly, I am leaning towards just getting it. I just have to build up a little more courage.

Syilop

Rough_Rock
I feel exactly the same way. Follow your heart on this one - not your brain! If that makes sense...I’m like you and can overanalyze, thinking that will produce or help me find a better result (I don’t mean to make assumptions, but I can definitely vouch that is my usual modus operandi and your process reminds me of myself!!!)

Buying jewelry is a balance between form and function, but no matter what, it needs to be what you love. My gut says you may have fallen in love with the first piece and may have talked yourself out of it or are second guessing your instinct. None of these gorgeous and delicate necklaces are what I’d describe as totally practical anyways - so I say get what you love, clean it regularly and be careful with it!

No, you are 100% right. I am the type to be indecisive and overthink everything before doing anything big, especially like a purchase like this one.

thanks for your advice, I also agree that it is a mix of practicality and what my heart wants. I am leaning towards getting it more now thanks to you and Jpie!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results