shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this pink sapphire and white opal ring a good buy?

joycece

Rough_Rock
Hey I'm newbie to this forum and love reading all your posts already. Here is my first ever post with a favor to ask,

I can't keep my mind off this ring since I saw it 2 days ago and I just hit the buy button and go for it. I am usually a diamond person so this is my first sapphire and opal purchase. Can you please tell me if the stones are reasonable for the $1200 USD price tag? Info: Art deco 14K natural 2 carat Australian opal ring accented by 16 genuine earth mined pink sapphires a total sapphire weight of about 1.6 carats. Pictures are from seller.

I know white opal is the cheapest so don't worry about my feeling, feel free to tell me what you think! =)2

Also, any suggestion on how I should care and regularly clean the ring?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 20
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 20

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Well, gold isn’t cheap. However, did the seller have any guarantee/cert that it isn’t a doublet? Maybe @Bron357 can chime in.

Is that fuzz on the prongs?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there, it’s a lovely ring, probably antique given the style of prongs.
The opal is not a great opal according to the photos. It’s not showing any strength in the colourplay - that’s what you’re buying, the colour play.
what is the return policy of the vendor? Can you see it in person and if not thrilled, return for a refund?
opal rings are not everyday wearing rings, I think that the opal might be abraided across the top, this is what happens with regular wear, opal is about the same as “dust” on MoHos. So it might be the opal needs a repolish. That’s doable, but will cost a few hundred likely to unset, polish and rest.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s hard to tell colorplay in white opal from photos, but my main concern would be that the opal is synthetic and/or the sapphires as well. Even if the sapphire is natural, they could be highly color treated. I probably wouldn’t offer more than $600.

joycece

Rough_Rock
Well, gold isn’t cheap. However, did the seller have any guarantee/cert that it isn’t a doublet? Maybe @Bron357 can chime in.

Is that fuzz on the prongs?

you are right gold isn't cheap, from the bottom of the ring doesn't look like doublet

joycece

Rough_Rock
Hi there, it’s a lovely ring, probably antique given the style of prongs.
The opal is not a great opal according to the photos. It’s not showing any strength in the colourplay - that’s what you’re buying, the colour play.
what is the return policy of the vendor? Can you see it in person and if not thrilled, return for a refund?
opal rings are not everyday wearing rings, I think that the opal might be abraided across the top, this is what happens with regular wear, opal is about the same as “dust” on MoHos. So it might be the opal needs a repolish. That’s doable, but will cost a few hundred likely to unset, polish and rest.

yes from art deco era. Appreciate your comment regarding the opal, I will see how it turns out when I receive it. The seller does offer 7 days return. I guess I buy in to the overall style than the stone quality on this one. Feels like I can't find another similar ring if I missed out :doh:

Oh I wish I can find someone local here in Vancouver BC to work on the opal for me. Can't google a jeweler here that have extensive work with opal.

Thank you!!

joycece

Rough_Rock
It’s hard to tell colorplay in white opal from photos, but my main concern would be that the opal is synthetic and/or the sapphires as well. Even if the sapphire is natural, they could be highly color treated. I probably wouldn’t offer more than $600.

The seller said all stones are natural earth mined, but will give it a closer look when I receive it. I agree, the sapphire is most likely treated. If not the piece has history and unique style I wouldn't get it at that price as well. Good to know! Thanks =)2

I've seen some pink sapphire melee from CDR on Etsy that were maybe $30 or less per melee? So they could be untreated. IF everything is natural, untreated, and truly vintage, then $1200 isn't a bad price. And hey, you can post it later on the "under $1250" thread!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller said all stones are natural earth mined, but will give it a closer look when I receive it. I agree, the sapphire is most likely treated. If not the piece has history and unique style I wouldn't get it at that price as well. Good to know! Thanks =)2

If the photos are accurate, an Australian white opal that quality is $30/ct. Ive seen that price point in more than one place, but here’s an example. I can’t get the link to work for some reason, so I’m attaching a photo.
35DA36C0-C5EC-46DE-9C3C-B80D1AFDE350.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Certainly worth a look if it’s returnable if you don’t love it.
here’s a photo of two of my Opals. Both white opal, one is semi crystal. Photo taken in low light to show how a lower quality opal has lower quality “colour play” that 5F2DC44E-0CE0-453B-9073-C7156E3E0EB3.jpeg affects the “prettiness”

here’s a photo of two of my Opals. Both white opal, one is semi crystal. Photo taken in low light to show how a lower quality opal has lower quality “colour play” that 5F2DC44E-0CE0-453B-9073-C7156E3E0EB3.jpeg affects the “prettiness”

Wow! How do you get any work done @Bron357 when you have a friggin lightshow in your hand??

joycece

Rough_Rock
I've seen some pink sapphire melee from CDR on Etsy that were maybe $30 or less per melee? So they could be untreated. IF everything is natural, untreated, and truly vintage, then $1200 isn't a bad price. And hey, you can post it later on the "under $1250" thread!

haha thank you for making me feel better! I will say after reading all comments may be somewhere around $800 is a more fair price point for this vintage piece. Sometimes I'm just not so rational when I see a piece that catch my eyes and got me keep thinking about how it looks on my finger :wall:

haha thank you for making me feel better! I will say after reading all comments may be somewhere around $800 is a more fair price point for this vintage piece. Sometimes I'm just not so rational when I see a piece that catch my eyes and got me keep thinking about how it looks on my finger :wall:

Ugh I hate rational brain. It's always such a party pooper

Laurainthesky

Shiny_Rock
A ton has happened in the land of opals in the last 20 years. Opal is my birth stone. Affordable opals were sad and plain until the Ethiopian opals were discovered. You can get a much more attractive opal for less money.
Screenshot_20210222-211732_Chrome.jpg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Ethiopian Opals as well. They are a different type of Opal to Australian opal.
They are what’s known as hydrophane, they have a capacity to absorb water which “kills” the colourplay until the water evaporates out again (hours to days).
For this reason you need to be careful with them around lotions, moisturizer and perfume.
The other difference is they are more a translucent gem and without a light source can look like flat. Many also have a yellow tone, which I dislike, blue tone is nicer in my opinion.
Buying Black Ethiopian opal needs care, natural exists but with the hydrophane ability, black coloured liquids can be introduced into the opal to create “black opal” and it’s not permanent.
Ethiopian opal is way cheaper than Australian Opal and top specimens are amazing.
Almond Blossom Opal ring is Ethiopian opal, the other ring is quality Australian semi crystal opal.
46EB74EC-5826-45F9-815B-FE0C6D89CEF8.jpeg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW I think the setting is beautiful with the pink sapphires and those antique claws. If you were to recreate this custom ring at today’s gold prices, it will cost you more than $1200 for the setting most likely. Most of us lose money on custom made jewelry when we sell it.

So if you love it, it’s ok to have paid a little more for it. And you can save up to custom cut a new opal to take the place of your white one, and it will be magnificent.

joycece

Rough_Rock
A ton has happened in the land of opals in the last 20 years. Opal is my birth stone. Affordable opals were sad and plain until the Ethiopian opals were discovered. You can get a much more attractive opal for less money.
Screenshot_20210222-211732_Chrome.jpg

Lovely I can imagine owning just a piece of this Ethiopian to play and look at it. Not really matching the jewelry vibes that I like currently but who know what will change in the future ;-)

joycece

Rough_Rock
I love Ethiopian Opals as well. They are a different type of Opal to Australian opal.
They are what’s known as hydrophane, they have a capacity to absorb water which “kills” the colourplay until the water evaporates out again (hours to days).
For this reason you need to be careful with them around lotions, moisturizer and perfume.
The other difference is they are more a translucent gem and without a light source can look like flat. Many also have a yellow tone, which I dislike, blue tone is nicer in my opinion.
Buying Black Ethiopian opal needs care, natural exists but with the hydrophane ability, black coloured liquids can be introduced into the opal to create “black opal” and it’s not permanent.
Ethiopian opal is way cheaper than Australian Opal and top specimens are amazing.
Almond Blossom Opal ring is Ethiopian opal, the other ring is quality Australian semi crystal opal.

lovely setting on the Ethiopian one! did you have the ring custom made? Overall the Australian is more appealing to me thou

joycece

Rough_Rock
FWIW I think the setting is beautiful with the pink sapphires and those antique claws. If you were to recreate this custom ring at today’s gold prices, it will cost you more than $1200 for the setting most likely. Most of us lose money on custom made jewelry when we sell it.

So if you love it, it’s ok to have paid a little more for it. And you can save up to custom cut a new opal to take the place of your white one, and it will be magnificent.

That's a really great suggestion and will probably do that. I can just wear the ring as is and more often than for special events only until the opal needs to be replaced ( get the most out of it for the sake of I paid for it already! lol) .

Where will you suggest I look for a quality opal? If there's a website or Esty/eBay seller you can recommend?

I had a local gold smith I worked with, last year he made some custom 18k rings for me costs around $150 per gram for the gold only after consideration of labor so yea...I can't resist a good old ring setting.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely I can imagine owning just a piece of this Ethiopian to play and look at it. Not really matching the jewelry vibes that I like currently but who know what will change in the future ;-)

I too prefer Australian Opal. One day I will splurge on a big one from Lightning Ridge. For now, I’ll just enjoy my little Aussie opal which has enough colors for me.

801521A9-DA74-4D1C-AADB-0E78905F9401.jpeg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don't know what im looking at
they both look lovelly to me

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I always feel its a special day when you post that beauty

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think opals should be seen in person before purchasing, unless they’re relatively inexpensive, and you’re not worried about the risk.

I think gem shows are a superb place to get opals because you can see the play of color in all its glory. Photos and videos rarely do a good job on showcasing them. I also find that many vendors enhance the colorplay by using shaded and dark backgrounds.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing to note is that in bright light, Welos can have amazing colorplay, which can be muted in diffused natural light. This is mine. I got it at a gem show. It has great play of color that my photos just don’t show, but in natural diffused light, the pattern is more muted. I also love the orange background color, but it’s muted in this photo.

As you can see, the pattern of colorplay is not as defined here since this was taken on a cloudy day. This is the worst it looks.
FE9CBCC6-1AC5-40E6-A7E3-C8CD76C40AA3.png

joycece

Rough_Rock
I too prefer Australian Opal. One day I will splurge on a big one from Lightning Ridge. For now, I’ll just enjoy my little Aussie opal which has enough colors for me.

801521A9-DA74-4D1C-AADB-0E78905F9401.jpeg

:kiss2::kiss2: perfection!

joycece

Rough_Rock
@joycece I bought my Welo that I absolutely love from Jim McCormick on LT. He also has an Etsy store under Elvis prasiolite, I believe. Here's a pic of mine. It's a pinfire opal. It is 6+ cts and currently being set by DanielM. I can't wait!

Thank you! everyday learn something new here. thank you!

joycece

Rough_Rock
I personally think opals should be seen in person before purchasing, unless they’re relatively inexpensive, and you’re not worried about the risk.

I think gem shows are a superb place to get opals because you can see the play of color in all its glory. Photos and videos rarely do a good job on showcasing them. I also find that many vendors enhance the colorplay by using shaded and dark backgrounds.

It's been a while since my last visit to a gem show. The gem/antique shows we get around town here were quite not exciting wish I can go to the bigger US one when travel is allowed again

Reactions: T L
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results