shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this pear "the one?"

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A little background on what I am looking for, since it's a little less usual. I'm looking for the largest light yellow diamond I can get for my budget, and I really want one that has strong fluorescence. This is for a RHR. I'm kind of a rock hound, so I'm looking for something a bit unusual, but still pretty (to my eyes).

I was offered this one (it's slightly under budget). These are the specs.

WEIGHT: 1.67ct
QUANTITY: 1
SHAPE: Pear Brilliant
COLOR: M
CLARITY: SI1
MEASUREMENTS: 9.83 x 6.61 x 4.20 mm
TOTAL DEPTH: 63.5%
TABLE SIZE: 56.0%
POLISH: EX
SYMMETRY: VG
FLUORESCENCE: Strong Blue

In indoor lighting:

In daylight:

It appears to have a bowtie, but I'm not opposed to one. I'm concerned that it won't appear yellow when set, but more tinted as it is graded an M. I love the color change, however.

Any thoughts?

r7152b.jpg

r7152-bla.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color are you having it set in and what type of setting?
I think if you cup it with a gold cup you'll get more of that yellow you are looking for.

Considering your specs/wishes I think it's worth taking a look.
Can DBL do a video in normal lighting (without bright spotlights
On it) so you can get a feel for the color?

I think it has a lovely shape.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you. For the setting I have no idea. Probably simple yellow gold to bring out the color. Honestly, no clue, beyond that. It depends on price since we had some annoying things pop up this month that has decimated my settings budget.

I'm definitely going to ask him questions about the yellow color so I get a better idea about it in depth. I was out all day Friday and got the e-mail with the pics late. But now I get the weekend to think it over.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ADORE this stone. Perhaps because I also really like somewhat unusual stones, particularly those that are "warmer" with blue flour. I also agree you could bring out the yellow with setting, and the shape is lovely. +1 to having DBL take a video in more normal lighting so you can get a better feel for it's color, but I'd say if it's in budget or under then definitely take a look IRL and see how you feel :)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! :love: what a lovely stone. The colour change is amazing

leukolenos

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oooooo I like it! That is my favorite kind of pear shape- such a nice organic tear drop. Hope it looks just as nice in a video!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness!! The fluorescence is AMAZING!!! :love: :love:

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I shot off an email this morning asking some questions about the yellow. I haven't seen an M in person, so I don't know how much you can enhance the yellow to make it look like it is definitely yellow. What do the experts here think? I might nab it anyway, because the color change is so amazing. Most of my day is spent in bright daylight lighting anyway because our house is built with an indoor/outdoor feel.

The shape and face up size aren't half bad, either. :naughty:

After this I need to think about how to set it. The setting is an anniversary gift from my husband, but because of some unexpected expenses (my car broke down and my neighborhood association has sent everyone in the neighborhood a bill for several thousand each in some ridiculous neighborhood upgrades. I'm pretty ticked off about this, and I'm actually talking to a lawyer today), my settings budget may be paper thin. I could put it in a so-so stock setting and save up for the setting of my dreams. My husband and I are both completely in love with this setting (in yellow gold, maybe pink diamonds in the halo)

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/loose-colorless-diamond-170ct-j-si2-old-cut-pear-really-cool-cut-r5955

I'm pretty sure that bad boy is way out of our league for now.

Pears are hard, and I'm stumped. Especially with regards to a setting that is more budget friendly. Once again, I'm asking for wisdom from the experts here.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Yes, that may be the way to go. I quite like that solitaire. I was thinking a yellow gold bezel, too. On the plus side, it will be very comfortable to wear and I have a lot of problems with my hands, so comfort is important. After I see the lawyer today I'm going to stop by a jeweler I noticed when I got pizza this weekend, and see if they can order stock settings and see what kind of prices we're looking at here. I live in one of the most expensive areas in the nation and it seems like everything costs more here. It might be more economical to get one of DBL's solitaires anyway, and probably better quality.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oh, I forgot, this is a RHR. And I want to make sure it doesn't look anything like my engagement ring (3 stone ring) so my engagement ring always stands out. I would like it to be easy to wear, so I could wear it every day if I choose to.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi all!
A note about lighting and videos....
IN general, you need a lot of light to get a close up video of a diamond.
In a sense this eliminates "normal" lighting as a candidate.
Natural sunlight is the brightest light on earth, so that works pretty well:)

There was a long ( unfortunately contentious) discussion of fluorescence recently.
Part of my motivation in that discussion was that there's a fair number of fluoro diamonds whose color whitens in many consumer lighting environments.
The picture of this pear shape, lying on it's side- was taken in a light box. The lighting environment in a light box ( well the one we use anyway) is less similar to what a consumer will have than the tweezer picture. In that lighting, which is still pretty bright, the diamond looks yellow ( more like the M color grade assigned by GIA)
If you think about it, if you can see the color of your diamond, it's because there's a lot of light and in many cases that will include natural sunlight. Even if it's indirect sunlight, it can whiten a fluoro diamond.

Bottom line is that it would be far more difficult for a consumer to mimic the light box shot than the tweezer one.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I sent you an e-mail, David. Man, it's been on of those days, weeks, actually where I feel like I just can't catch a break. But hey, it's only up from here. :)

You did send me a yellow looking tweezer pic. I didn't put it in the post cause I'm lazy. It looks pretty yellow in all the pictures. If it's cupped in yellow, will it yellow even more? I'm feeling a bit punchy since I have literally not slept since Saturday night, and now I'm wondering how many times I can write yellow in one post.

Just for giggles, maybe let me know how much that stunner of a setting is that I linked to. It's so pretty! I might be able to squeeze some money out for a decent setting after all. Either way, first world problems and all. I'm just glad that I have the chance to own something so unique and beautiful.

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
In the end I passed on the stone. The yellow just isn't as strong as I would like. It was a tough decision! That stone is gorgeous. But I'm set on the light yellow, so it wasn't "the one."

I have to say, David is a class act, and has been so patient with me. This is the third stone I've rejected, and he's more than happy to just keep looking for me. And he's really a blast to talk to on the phone. He's a fun guy!

Anyway, the search continues....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results