shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this Edwina's twin? Need your opinions, fast!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are lovely and will be perfect in your ears!

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I bought a pair of oecs from Ivy&Rose and they are nowhere close to a match as these are.... but that is how it goes with the old cuts. But that being said, your opinion is what matters. It will not be a mind clean stone so I say let it go, something else more perfect for you will come along.

But for what its worth, I LOVE the new stone. It is gorgeous and if I had $$ and not just lint in my pocket, I would buy it in a heartbeat!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
My $0.02… antiques are not going to be an identical match, ever. That is part of their charm. Do these two “go together” and look beautiful? Yes. 100 times yes.

collier

Shiny_Rock
I'm another vote for "It's pretty good for old cuts!" since you wrote in your original post, you are looking for a "Match-ish"

This stone more than qualifies, it is a fraternal twin but not an identical twin.

However, if the differences are what you will see, rather than the similarities and beauty of each stone maybe you should keep looking.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I think they will be a lovely pair of earrings. With your (no doubt, lovely) face between the earrings, nobody will see any difference.

My old-cut studs are indistinguishable while on my ears. Through a loupe they're definitely different from each other. Both are fiery and bright, and no one has ever noticed a difference, including me, when they're on my ears.

I ADORE the earrings you plan to make! :kiss2:I've saved about a gazillion different iterations as inspirations, and your image is fabulous! I'd love to do something very similar but with tiny claws rather than bezels. :kiss2: This is a "some-day" project for me.

ETA: If it's not too uncouth to ask, who do you plan to make these for you?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they would be perfect as a pair and I adore your setting idea!!

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
For me, they are definitely close enough for earrings.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think a slight difference is charming. No one will know but you when you take them off any lay them side by side. I think they're a wonderful match.

I look forward to reading your decision, what will make you happy?

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are definitely well matched for earrings and as others have said, being old cuts, they will never be exact. The sizes are very, very close and any color difference appears minimal to me. The faceting would be fine for me too. I agree that most vendors would sell these as a matched pair. I would keep the new stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since your initial gut feeling is not positive
Let it go.
it’s better to be patient to wait for the next possible match rather than deal with possible purchase regrets and what if’s?
This. Ditto.
Our opinions don’t really matter here.
And whether a vendor would mate them also doesn’t matter. I agree that a vendor would mate them - but you’d have the option to return if they weren’t right for you.
What matters is your gut reaction and your gut reaction seems to be worry and uncertainty.

That doesn’t mean that this duo wouldn’t be a “pair” for someone else or for yourself for a different project!! I’ve got two sets of diamond earrings - one pair needed to be an exact match to the dotted i and crossed t, but I was much more flexible about the other.

It sounds like for this project you’re wanting a match that’s more like my first pair than my second. That’s perfectly okay. But then, this isn’t the right stone.

Gone_

Shiny_Rock
I know that someone here sent their stone to Adam from Old World Diamonds and had him find the second matching stone. I think that would be the fastest way.
OWD has a huge inventory of old cuts and he can actually actually compare the stones in person for you. If you are not in a rush then I'm sure there are other ways as well...

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love your new stone, which is bright/lively and has a beautiful, well executed facet pattern, though not exactly identical to Edwina’s facet pattern. I think it is a very convincing and close match, especially in earrings.

However, if you are struggling with loving this match, and if you feel it is a steep expenditure for not a clear compatibility for YOU (not anyone else), then I’d try again.

TBH. I wonder if you could get someone like DK to execute your earring vision with Edwina and a temp stone like a OEC moissy or CZ. So you can at least wear these beautes. And/or if you want, put PS to the case of finding a match. Adam is a good resource like the PP says, but he is top of the price point.

I suspect you will need to find an affordable option by serendipity, which could take a lifetime. So the current expenditure may actually be reasonable for a very close, convincing and beautiful on it’s own match to Edwina. Sisters are never QUITE the same after all….

Personally, this current stone is really close, I would adore it on its own, but it really is up to how YOU feel and your comfort level in the price point. Good luck with your decision!

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Since your initial gut feeling is not positive
Let it go.
it’s better to be patient to wait for the next possible match rather than deal with possible purchase regrets and what if’s?

(if you think the table % difference between the two is another thing throwing you off - now you can know that the difference between these two was too much)

edited to add:
B3BD14F8-E9D2-40FA-8446-9C3B9566F207.jpeg
I would enjoy the hell out of these as a match for earrings.
(obviously it’s a cut and paste job from your pictures. )
And it’s coming from someone who didn’t really obsess over matching OEC three stone ring. Obsess about other setting details :love:

Thank you so much for making this image! This was such an incredible gift and convinced me that these earrings would look great with any color stone. Edwina looks perfect in this 'dress' and this solidified my choice of mount - thank you!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite I think they will be a lovely pair of earrings. With your (no doubt, lovely) face between the earrings, nobody will see any difference.

My old-cut studs are indistinguishable while on my ears. Through a loupe they're definitely different from each other. Both are fiery and bright, and no one has ever noticed a difference, including me, when they're on my ears.

I ADORE the earrings you plan to make! :kiss2:I've saved about a gazillion different iterations as inspirations, and your image is fabulous! I'd love to do something very similar but with tiny claws rather than bezels. :kiss2: This is a "some-day" project for me.

ETA: If it's not too uncouth to ask, who do you plan to make these for you?

Not at all - thank you for asking - I have only ever contacted David Klass for any real custom work. Having said that, Sako is well regarded and that would be a fine choice too.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your help in making this decision. It's such an incredible asset to have a wide and varied collection of eyes and hearts to advise on a project.

I contacted the seller and was simply honest: her stone was gorgeous and had incredible edge-to-edge brightness and a lively personality - but that it wasn't quite the match I'd envisioned. Frankly her stone made Edwina look a little dull in comparison. She is currently checking her unpublished inventory to see if she has something that is a little closer, at least in color.

I'll update with more info as this rolls along (as well as a write a detailed review of the whole experience) but please know, I do plan to buy from her again, and the game is still afoot!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I'm intrigued to see whether there is a closer match to Edwina, and to see the final result of this fab earrings project!

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
Will the earrings have a through-the-front or from-the-back closure, and will that affect the final look of how the diamonds are set? Guessing the diamonds will look amazing no matter what!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Will the earrings have a through-the-front or from-the-back closure, and will that affect the final look of how the diamonds are set? Guessing the diamonds will look amazing no matter what!

Excellent question - I prefer front-loaders, as it were, with a keen and sturdy hinge at the blossom's rear base. I think the CADs will be interesting and might take a few iterations, don't you?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, I prefer front-loading, 'cause I can actually see what's going on. :bigsmile:

It may indeed take a few iterations to get just right. I've done rings but they seem simple in comparison to earrings—no moving parts on rings, and getting the balance from ear piercing to bottom of ear is definitely a consideration.

I had a pair of drop earrings made a few years ago, and they were my fave. I lost them last year. Well, I misplaced them last year, and although I thoroughly looked through EVERY pocket of every item of clothing that had pockets, I haven't found them. Hence, the curiosity with your process!

I'd like to remake drop earrings but I'm not 100% on using the same design I had. In case the original ones turn up. Haha. No sense having two of the same design!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Another one who thinks they are a good match. Obviously there are levels of tolerance but I think you could be waiting years for a better one.

I was going to say this; what @elizat said makes perfect sense and it depends on whether you want to potentially wait years to make these!

ETA whoops I see you aren't going with this stone; sorry for some reason all of the other posts didn't load for me until after I posted.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results