shape
carat
color
clarity

Is this diamond worth purchasing?

diamond2024

Rough_Rock
I'm looking to buy an engagement ring and found this one at a local jeweler.
It's a 1.90 ct / Color I / VS1 / Round stone with a 36.5 crown angle / 40.6 pavillion angle / 63 depth with 56 table.
HCA score is 2.3 so I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger right now. (The price is in the mid $17K range)

Based on the knowledge I gathered through searching this forum (I'm a newbie who just found out this incredible place),
- Crown is a bit steep at 36.5 but pavillion angle is at 40.6 so I attached an ideal scope image provided by the jeweler for second opinions. (Heard GIA rounds numbers so it could be closer to 36.0 no? Which, in this case would be AGS-ideal based on the table size)
- My gf really liked it after seeing it in person and think she prefers getting the stone at a local jeweler vs online (since we can get it polished any time and can upgrade later)

I'm getting a bit tired after several visits to the local jewelers and not sure whether I should keep searching for the ideal stone and would really appreciate your thoughts on this diamond!

1678218021709.png RB 1.90ct I VS1.JPG

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
That combo can work and as you noted gia rounding.
That image is from an h&a scope not an ideal scope.
The alignment of the stone, camera and scope is way off but there are signs of uneven cutting of the pavilion that puts it into the no go class.
However that might or might not be a false negative.
We need more info to tell.
Using the PS search above for comps will tell how the price compares.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can get a ring polished anywhere - even if there is a nominal fee. Not a great reason to buy a diamond from a particular jeweler unless it is absolutely what you want! There are online vendors here that many have purchased from that have excellent upgrade policies. Just something to keep in mind. It is a big purchase so don't settle just because you are tired. Many here will help you find what you are looking for if you tell them size, color, clarity and budget.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely dont go with that stone. You can literally get your ring polished anywhere, and many of the vendors recommended here (whiteflash, for example), offers $1 upgrades (e.g. spend $1 more to upgrade). I guarantee you can do better

diamond2024

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, thanks for the comments. I'm ideally looking for at least +1.7ct / I / VS2 / Non-Fluoro / GIA certified and max $20K is my budget including the setting (6 prong solitaire). Do you think I could do better than what I've found at $17500? I'll post an ideal scope image if I can get one from the jeweler.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brian Gavin Diamonds sells super ideal cut diamonds with guaranteed superior light performance. They're running a special this week, 7% off including the wire discount.

beepbopbroom

Rough_Rock
Another vote for online vendors. I have yet to see anyone in person whose diamond sparkles more than a brian gavin one. That includes Tiffany.
I visited a few stores when my husband and I started looking for rings and most were too expensive especially for the specs offered. I'm so happy he did his research and went with BG :)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock

This one has strong blue fluorescence, which is a big plus in my book. In rare cases it can cause the stone to be milky, but it won't with a diamond in BGD's vetted Blue line.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Would you be OK with sacrificing one color grade to get to 2ct?

$869 + $19124 = $19993 (plus $100 off for signing up)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What did you decide @diamond2024? I have some additional thoughts but late to the game and was curious if already resolved or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results