shape
carat
color
clarity

is this diamond good?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
so, the whiteflash videos have the same problem as the diamond i just got from BE has, but worse. if you set the video to brillance, you will see 3 or 4 times that the light dims or goes flat. it was on all of the diamonds i looked at. That is what i want to avoid.

One of many great aspects of Whiteflash is their customer service: pick out 3-5 diamonds from their "ready to ship" inventory and have them send you comparison videos in a variety of lighting conditions. :)

splinter7

Rough_Rock
Can you share a screenshot of what you mean in one of the Whiteflash videos? The facets are turning on and off as the diamond turns

sorry, struggling to get a picture. the table/top becomes not shiny and no light passes through it.

Edit: @Kim N it's like the top left arrow in the 1.57 diamond you suggested. it has a facet that is dull. one of the arrow tips is sort of greyed out. i think that is what I am trying to describe. is that one arrow tip on that diamond going to not sparkle? it would be worse if that table did that.

Last edited:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
@splinter7, is this what you mean? When you rotate the diamond on brilliance, the flashes will decrease as the diamond turns to face up toward the viewer?

If that's what you mean, it's because the facets are aligned toward the pointy cult when looking straight down on the diamond. The straight on view can show off the "arrows" of a well done cut. When it's not done well, the light leaks through the stone and doesn't reflect back to the viewer. Also know that when you look straight down, there will be some obstruction of light from your head/the camera or whatever device is looking straight down.

Alternatively, if you mean that the flashes decrease in general from time to time, know that the video is not an ideal way to measure fire, brilliance or sparkle (even though that's how they are labelled). The videos manipulate lighting in order to create more flashes. Local jewelers do this all the time to increase the flashes in their store and get people to buy lower quality cut stones.

This is why you want a well cut stone with ideal proportions. This will ensure that the diamond performs well under all kinds of lighting. The experts here have seen thousands of these videos from these exact vendors. They know how to evaluate for fire and sparkle across the board.

Remember, when a diamond is on your hand, it's in constant motion. It will not be spotlighted as on these videos.

If I misunderstood, sorry! Good luck in your search! You're in good hands with @Kim N and @DejaWiz and the rest of the PS community!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sorry, struggling to get a picture. the table/top becomes not shiny and no light passes through it.

Edit: @Kim N it's like the top left arrow in the 1.57 diamond you suggested. it has a facet that is dull. one of the arrow tips is sort of greyed out. i think that is what I am trying to describe. is that one arrow tip on that diamond going to not sparkle? it would be worse if that table did that.

You're referring to this facet, right?

1.57.jpg

The light is reflecting directly on this facet back to your eyes at this angle. Whenever the light hits any facet just right, this will happen. It isn't an indication of a poorly cut diamond.

splinter7

Rough_Rock
@splinter7, is this what you mean? When you rotate the diamond on brilliance, the flashes will decrease as the diamond turns to face up toward the viewer?

If that's what you mean, it's because the facets are aligned toward the pointy cult when looking straight down on the diamond. The straight on view can show off the "arrows" of a well done cut. When it's not done well, the light leaks through the stone and doesn't reflect back to the viewer. Also know that when you look straight down, there will be some obstruction of light from your head/the camera or whatever device is looking straight down.

Alternatively, if you mean that the flashes decrease in general from time to time, know that the video is not an ideal way to measure fire, brilliance or sparkle (even though that's how they are labelled). The videos manipulate lighting in order to create more flashes. Local jewelers do this all the time to increase the flashes in their store and get people to buy lower quality cut stones.

This is why you want a well cut stone with ideal proportions. This will ensure that the diamond performs well under all kinds of lighting. The experts here have seen thousands of these videos from these exact vendors. They know how to evaluate for fire and sparkle across the board.

Remember, when a diamond is on your hand, it's in constant motion. It will not be spotlighted as on these videos.

If I misunderstood, sorry! Good luck in your search! You're in good hands with @Kim N and @DejaWiz and the rest of the PS community!

you understood me. the first item was what i was trying to avoid...i've seen diamonds that don't have that issue is the only reason I thought it should be that way. I just went with the suggested adiamor. thank you and DejaWiz. if it's not good, i will try to whiteflash and probably just settle at that point. the extra photos they sent didn't have the issue, but i might need more granularity than what they sent to determine things.

splinter7

Rough_Rock
You're referring to this facet, right?

1.57.jpg

The light is reflecting directly on this facet back to your eyes at this angle. Whenever the light hits any facet just right, this will happen. It isn't an indication of a poorly cut diamond.

i am referring to that facet, but in relation to the main top facet on other diamonds. it does that when looking at it directly. there are other diamonds that didn't seem to have this issue so much or at all. the facet indicated in the photo is not an issue for me as it is on the side.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
That’s just glare and can happen to any facet on any diamond when the light hits it just right.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results